AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
March 1st, 2012 at 5:39:08 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

1. “In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be.” —Rick Santorum , speaking to a reporter in 2003, who said, "I’m sorry, I didn’t think I was going to talk about ‘man on dog’ with a United States senator, it’s sort of freaking me out.”

2. "One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.... Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay. It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be." —Rick Santorum, interview with CaffeinatedThoughts.com (October 2011)

3. "I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them somebody else's money; I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money." —Rick Santorum, campaigning for president in Iowa (January 2012)

4. "President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob ... Oh, I understand why he wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image.” –Rick Santorum, speaking to a Tea Party group in Michigan (February 2012)

5. “Earlier in my political career, I had the opportunity to read the speech, and I almost threw up.” –Rick Santorum, on JFK's 1960 speech about the importance of separation of church and state (October 2011)

6. "The question is — and this is what Barack Obama didn't want to answer — is that human life a person under the Constitution? And Barack Obama says no. Well if that person — human life is not a person, then — I find it almost remarkable for a black man to say, 'We're going to decide who are people and who are not people.'" —Rick Santorum, CNS News interview (January 2011)

7. “I think the Democrats are actually worried he (Obama) may go to Indonesia and bow to more Muslims.” –Rick Santorum, Fox News interview (May 2010)

8. “[Gay marriage] is an issue just like 9-11... We didn't decide we wanted to fight the war on terrorism because we wanted to. It was brought to us. And if not now, when? When the supreme courts in all the other states have succumbed to the Massachusetts version of the law?” –Rick Santorum, interview with the Allentown Morning Call (February 2004)

9. "Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?" –Rick Santorum, in a Philadelphia Inquirer column (May 2008)

10. "The idea that the Crusades and the fight of Christendom against Islam is somehow an aggression on our part is absolutely anti-historical. And that is what the perception is by the American Left who hates Christendom. ... What I'm talking about is onward American soldiers. What we're talking about are core American values." –Rick Santorum, campaigning for president in South Carolina (February 2011)

Bonus quotes:

"The reason Social Security is in big trouble is we don't have enough workers to support the retirees. Well, a third of all the young people in America are not in America today because of abortion.” –Rick Santorum, during a Republican presidential debate (May 2011)

“You can say I’m a hater. But I would argue I’m a lover. I’m a lover of traditional families and of the right of children to have a mother and father… I would argue that the future of America hangs in the balance, because the future of the family hangs in the balance. Isn’t that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?” –Rick Santorum, quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (July 2004)

“We have brave men and women who are willing to step forward because they know what’s at stake. They’re willing to sacrifice their lives for this great country. What I’m asking all of you tonight is not to put on a uniform. Put on a bumper sticker. Is it that much to ask? Is it that much to ask to step up and serve your country?” —Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), during his losing 2006 re-election bid, urging supporters to put a Rick Santorum bumper sticker on their cars

I don't see much extreme here at all, unless it is somehow "extreme" to think marrige is one man and one woman.

To me it is more being an extremist to say drilling for oil somehow will not help get more supply and women have a right to free birth control.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
March 1st, 2012 at 4:49:39 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

To me it is more being an extremist to say... women have a right to free birth control.

As Santorum explained to Greta Van Susteran, he voted to give women free birth control paid for by taxpayers. I agree that it's hard to keep track of Santorum's position on birth control because when he's not voting to give it away for free, he's criticizing married couples who have non-procreative sex.

AZDuffman, I get the sense you're only defending Santorum because he plays for your team. If a liberal loon like Rev. Al Sharpton had said that all non-procreative sex was against God's will or if Michael Moore had criticized Bush for encouraging every American to go to college, you'd be scowling at their foolishness. (And you'd be right!) George Washington warned us against partisanship. I'm guilty of this too, because in my mind the Republicans bailed out the banks, and in your mind the Democrats bailed out the banks, but the truth is that both parties did it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
March 1st, 2012 at 6:48:08 PM permalink
Quote: reno

AZDuffman, I get the sense you're only defending Santorum because he plays for your team. If a liberal loon like Rev. Al Sharpton had said that all non-procreative sex was against God's will or if Michael Moore had criticized Bush for encouraging every American to go to college, you'd be scowling at their foolishness. (And you'd be right!) George Washington warned us against partisanship. I'm guilty of this too, because in my mind the Republicans bailed out the banks, and in your mind the Democrats bailed out the banks, but the truth is that both parties did it.

I am defending him because I like several things he has said as I think they make sense. Number one I liked best was he said to end all of these programs that teach welfare recipients to "get to work on time and be a good employee" because Wal-Mart and McDonald's do that already. Similarly, quit training the same people for some kind of "office" job because at entry level those jobs go to people with good work history-even if MCD or WMT-than someone trying to get off welfare.

People keep saying "political parties are the problem" but they say it as if people with common interests or beliefs will never work togther. Reminds me of a caller to Limbaugh after Columbine who said, "We need to get the cliques out of the schools" and Rush rightly said she was living in Fantasyland if she thought that would be possible as people clique up no matter where you go.

I do lots of side jobs right now, and what amazes me is how fast people do clique up. One of my gigs is on-call banquet server work. And within an hour, people are working and talking to like-people! You don't even have to say what you do, the natural gravitation is amazing. I end up teaming with other college-educated professionals working for extra money and the less educated workers team up with their same kinds. When I moved to AZ the east-coast transplants and SoCal/Paciffic NW transplants all found each other, and stayed together as groups.

If people group on this level, to think it will not happen in government is to dream.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
March 2nd, 2012 at 5:02:37 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Much to my surprise, Mr. Santorum had a great day today in the Hawkeye state. Apparently Iowa's Republicans either: A) hate birth control, or B) are hypocrites.

Congratulations, Rick!

As I resident of Iowa I almost felt embarrassed that Bachmann won the straw poll, even though it doesn't mean much. And it saddens me that someone like Santorum would get a lot of support here.

I also hate that Iowa is considered a high conservative republican state. I don't ever want to be affiliated with that.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 211
March 2nd, 2012 at 5:56:07 PM permalink
Why is he running ?

For the speaking circuit, book contracts, Fox TV show.

Pick all that apply.
You know the type always acting cool, Pretender;Take the risk or give up your cards, Pretender, Oh, Oh. - Iris/Avsec
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 3rd, 2012 at 10:36:37 AM permalink
My thoughts on each of Santorum's points:

(2) On contraception: this can't be a win for Santorum. Contraception is wide-spread, among all religions, and while the "pill" opened up the sexual revolution, there isn't any turning back now. Overpopulation is a problem in this world, and contraception is the only way your are going to stop it, not restraint. Look at how fat Americans are. Look at how fat I am! We're incapable of restraint.

(4) Dumb point. Plenty of Americans who go to college turn out as republicans. My wife went to college, graduated from Berkeley actually, and is a staunch republican. I would be that pretty much every republican in congress, in the senate, in state senates are college educated. Really dumb point. All that Santorum's really saying there is that Republicans are dumb.

(5) Church and state better be separated.

(9) Really misses the understanding between romantic love and friendship love. Obviously gay couples love each other as much as heterosexual couple do. Very naive point.

Santorum should concentrate on the issues of the day. We get it, he's ultra-conservative, but if you focus on that, he won't win the Republican nomination and won't stand a chance in the election. Right or wrong, most Americans have given up on Roe v Wade, and have accepted that abortion in some form will always be legal in the US. Pretty much all Americans, especially parents of teenagers have accepted contraception as a very excellent alternative to abstinenace, right or wrong. Gay marriage is a fight worth having I suppose, but it's a divisive issue.

It's the economy (still), stupid.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
March 3rd, 2012 at 11:06:51 AM permalink
Please contact the sponsors of the Rush Limbaugh show and register your complaint about his outrageous attacks on women's health. He called every woman in the country who uses birth control a slut and prostitute who should post movies of themselves having sex.

And that shithead Rick Santorum won't condemn Rush.

Santorum's drivel

Ask them to drop their sponsorship immediately. Many have already dropped their support. The ones who remain and are confirmed are:

CARBONITE, Inc.
617-587-1100
177 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
carbonite@mailnj.custhelp.com
Direct Dial Office: 617-587-1100 EXT:1115

Mid-West Life Insurance Company of Tennessee
9151 Grapevine Hwy.
North Richland Hills, TX 76180
Phone (800) 733-1110

American Forces Network
Contact Us: @MyAFN.net
Contact Department of Defense

Mission Pharmacal Company
10999 IH-10 West Suite 1000
P.O. Box 786099
San Antonio, TX 78278-6099
Telephone: (800) 531-3333
Bennett Kennedy - Citracal Product Manager

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 3rd, 2012 at 2:27:46 PM permalink
Please forgive me for being ignorant, but I'm trying to understand why health insurance companies should have to pay for contraception. Health care companies should be given a choice as to what to cover. Contraception is not a disease - it's a preventative method to avoid getting pregnant, which is not a bad thing.

According to the latest data I can find (link here)
There are 62 million women between the ages of 15-44 in the United States. 62% of these women are using a contraceptive method (38.2 million). Another 31% are pregnant or sterile and do not require contraception. 7% are not using a method.

The data further goes on to state that there are 10.7 million American women on the pill, 10.4 million have had tubal ligations, 6.2 million make the men use condoms, 3.8 million males have vasectomies, and 2.1 million women use IUDs. The other "methods" include rhythm (300,000) and withdrawal (2 million).

I guess my thought is that if you don't want to get pregnant, and your health insurance provider doesn't cover it, then go and get the pill on your own, or go to an agency where the pill is provided for cheaper than the full cost. Really, covering the cost of contraceptive pill at $15 - $50 / month drives up the cost of health insurance for everyone else and it's really a minority of the health care population who is being covered.

I'm wondering, if my significant other can't go on the pill, will the doctor prescribe me condoms?

Virtually ALL women (<99%) have used a contraceptive in their lifetime, which is why Santorum is absolute insane to speak out against them (unless he wants to alienate women) and why Obama's poll numbers haven't changed among the Catholic population.

Or am I just being an ignorant ass?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
March 3rd, 2012 at 6:35:18 PM permalink
Quote: David Friend, CEO of Carbonite

No one with daughters the age of Sandra Fluke, and I have two, could possibly abide the insult and abuse heaped upon this courageous and well-intentioned young lady. Mr. Limbaugh, with his highly personal attacks on Miss Fluke, overstepped any reasonable bounds of decency. Even though Mr. Limbaugh has now issued an apology, we have nonetheless decided to withdraw our advertising from his show. We hope that our action, along with the other advertisers who have already withdrawn their ads, will ultimately contribute to a more civilized public discourse.

Hopefully my 2 emails and phone call helped tip the balance.

On the one hand, the ultra-right agenda reaches into women by forcing unnecessary medical procedures, so much so that Virginia almost passed a law that would have forced women to be legally raped in order to get an abortion. So, the right wants us to pay tax dollars to enforce these barbarian laws.

On the other hand, when a woman needs contraception for a medically necessary reason, as Fluke was explaining, then she's a slut and a prostitute. Likewise, it is much more cost effective to fund the pill for contraception than to pay welfare to that unwanted child for however long, thus saving tax dollars.

Hard to believe the total lack of logic.

Then Rush apologizes with: "My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices." Don't apologize for your choice of words, just f***ing apologize to the woman, unconditionally.

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 4th, 2012 at 6:18:27 AM permalink
My understanding is that taking the pill for medical reasons, and taking it for contraception are two different situations.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: