matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 5th, 2011 at 3:25:33 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I fail to see the problem, happens all the time.

I agree.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
October 10th, 2011 at 4:36:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The Tea Party is doing a service to the USA...

Maybe, but they're not doing a service to our teeth. Some Tea Party activists in Florida successfully got fluoride removed from their county's drinking water. My advice to mainstream Republicans: distance yourselves from these anti-dentist lunatics...
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 10th, 2011 at 6:31:12 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Maybe, but they're not doing a service to our teeth. Some Tea Party activists in Florida successfully got removed from their county's drinking water. My advice to mainstream Republicans: distance yourselves from these anti-dentist lunatics...

They're rabid anti-dentites!!!
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
October 10th, 2011 at 7:02:00 PM permalink

Maybe, but they're not doing a service to our teeth. Some Tea Party activists in Florida successfully got fluoride removed from their county's drinking water. My advice to mainstream Republicans: distance yourselves from these anti-dentist lunatics...

With modern toothpaste there is probably little need to put flouride in the water anymore. Or maybe there is. But what I know is lefty activists were doing far worse damage long before the Tea Party came along.

Mainstream Republicans should quit pretending they are Democrats and instead send the Tea Party thank-you cards for giving the party the most energy it has had since the 1980s.

BTW: are you offering the Democrat Party the advice of distancing themselves from the Occupy Wall Street riots, or does that group "represent America?"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 10th, 2011 at 7:09:29 PM permalink

It sounds to me like they're more anti-dental-health than anti-dentist. Removing fluoride is going to increase incidence of cavities and will therefore increase incomes for dental practitioners.

It's another example of libertarian-at-all-costs sentiment, putting personal liberty (no taxes for water fluoridation) above social good (better overall dental health). There is no question whatsoever that the financial cost of fluoridation is far less than the aggregate cost of treating the dental problems it prevents. That's why it's good public policy. But if you elevate individual liberty above good public policy, you do away with things like fluoride water treatment or vaccines for children. It's remarkably shortsighted, in my opinion, but it does indeed maximize individual liberty.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 10th, 2011 at 7:30:30 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

It sounds to me like they're more anti-dental-health than anti-dentist. Removing fluoride is going to increase incidence of cavities and will therefore increase incomes for dental practitioners.

That's an easy criticism to make, but not as easy to support.

To begin with fluorine compounds occur naturally in water, along with many other compounds. In some places, the natural levels of fluorine compounds useful for a measure of dental health are high enough that adding more to the water achieves no purpose, and increases the chances of fluorine-related bone disorders.

So, before automatically assuming an attitude that "we-know-better-than-these-troglodytes," tell me what the natural levels of fluorine are in the area in question.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
October 10th, 2011 at 8:57:07 PM permalink
I have never worked in the field of water purification/treatment, but I highly suspect that the fluorine addition processes are controlled based on the fluorine level of the finished product. If there is enough in the water supply, you add less or none in the processing plant. At least that is how it would be handled in most industrial processes.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 10th, 2011 at 9:17:18 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That's an easy criticism to make, but not as easy to support.

To begin with fluorine compounds occur naturally in water, along with many other compounds. In some places, the natural levels of fluorine compounds useful for a measure of dental health are high enough that adding more to the water achieves no purpose, and increases the chances of fluorine-related bone disorders.

So, before automatically assuming an attitude that "we-know-better-than-these-troglodytes," tell me what the natural levels of fluorine are in the area in question.

If we do indeed know better, then we have measured said natural levels and taken that into account before we determine whether we need to fluoridate our water, haven't we? That's why we fund scientists and medical professionals who can answer such questions -- because we often don't have the resources to do first-hand research.

Too often, it's anti-government sentiment that hinders such policies. In Nevada, for example.

"60 percent of the U.S. population lives in an area with fluoridated water. These areas have 30 percent less childhood decay than nonfluoridated areas."
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Nareed
Nareed
October 10th, 2011 at 9:21:13 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I have never worked in the field of water purification/treatment, but I highly suspect that the fluorine addition processes are controlled based on the fluorine level of the finished product. If there is enough in the water supply, you add less or none in the processing plant. At least that is how it would be handled in most industrial processes.

Sure. But government industrial processes tend to be different. For example, if the level for promoting dental health were X parts per million, and the natural level were 1.5X parts per million already, some governments would choose to decree the needed level to be 2X parts per million, just so they can claim "We've given you better teeth!"
Nareed
Nareed
October 10th, 2011 at 9:22:54 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

If we do indeed know better, then we have measured said natural levels and taken that into account before we determine whether we need to fluoridate our water, haven't we?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But then you'd have no trouble telling me what the levels are.

Me, I've no idea. For all I know the water in that area is particularly fluorine poor. But I don't just casually assume something is right and beneficial just because the government does it.

• Jump to: