reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
September 3rd, 2011 at 2:38:20 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Uh, and the pro-abortion lobby doesn't demand members of the Democrat Party support all abortion, even partial birth abortion, on demand and even taxpayer funded? That is just one example.

Just wanted to distinguish between "pro-abortion" and "pro-choice." I think cigarettes are horrible but I want the government to keep cigarettes legal. Does that make me pro-tobacco?
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 3rd, 2011 at 5:27:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm sure the Tea Party would like to get the rest of them, but can you give me any source behind the 104? I'm not saying this isn't true, but it is so incredible that I could use something to satisfy my skepticism.

Quote: Florida Statutes 798

Florida Statutes 798.01 - Living in open adultery
Whoever lives in an open state of adultery shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Where either of the parties living in an open state of adultery is married, both parties so living shall be deemed to be guilty of the offense provided for in this section.

Florida Statutes 798.02 - Lewd and lascivious behavior
If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or if any man or woman, married or unmarried, engages in open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

My guess is that t he majority of people who were arrested out of the 104 cases were arrested on the second change. It is written vaguely enough that it could cover a much more common charge. Couples have sex or parade around naked on private property in front of an open window or where the general public can see you.

In a state of 18.8 million I would be surprised if the police didn't have at least 104 such cases.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 3rd, 2011 at 5:38:39 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Just wanted to distinguish between "pro-abortion" and "pro-choice." I think cigarettes are horrible but I want the government to keep cigarettes legal. Does that make me pro-tobacco?

53,310,843 total abortions since 1973. Based on numbers reported by the Guttmacher Institute 1973-2008, with estimates of 1,212,400 for 2009-2010. GI estimates a possible 3% under reporting rate, which is factored into the total.

Tobacco may have killed 16 million people in the same time period, but the total cost to society may be higher.

Even if you are pro-choice, you have to acknowledge that abortion is different than cigarette smoking.
reno
reno
September 3rd, 2011 at 6:15:20 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Even if you are pro-choice, you have to acknowledge that abortion is different than cigarette smoking.

Obviously. My point was that opposing prohibition of an activity is different than encouraging an activity. Just because I want smoking legal doesn't mean that I want people smoking.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
September 4th, 2011 at 10:15:22 AM permalink
Quote: reno

If you wanted government to fund cigarette purchases it would. If you made out that smoking was a good thing you would. The sad fact is "pro choice" really means "pro abortion" as the pro abortion people want as many abortions publicly funded as possible and sneer at a woman like Sarah Palin for keeping a child known to be special needs before birth.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
reno
reno
September 4th, 2011 at 10:31:48 AM permalink

If you wanted government to fund cigarette purchases it would.

This abortion tangent is getting us off topic, so perhaps we should start a new thread?

Passed by Congress in 1976, the Hyde Amendment excludes abortion from the comprehensive health care services provided to low-income people by the federal government through Medicaid. Congress has made some exceptions to the funding ban, which have varied over the years. At present, the federal Medicaid program mandates abortion funding in cases of rape or incest, as well as when a pregnant woman's life is endangered by a physical disorder, illness, or injury.

Most states have followed the federal government's lead in restricting public funding for abortion. Currently only seventeen states fund abortions for low-income women on the same or similar terms as other pregnancy-related and general health services. (See map.) Four of these states provide funding voluntarily (HI, MD, NY,1 and WA); in thirteen, courts interpreting their state constitutions have declared broad and independent protection for reproductive choice and have ordered nondiscriminatory public funding of abortion (AK, AZ, CA, CT, IL, MA, MN, MT, NJ, NM, OR, VT, and WV).2 Thirty-two of the remaining states pay for abortions for low-income women in cases of life-endangering circumstances, rape, or incest, as mandated by federal Medicaid law.3 (A handful of these states pay as well in cases of fetal impairment or when the pregnancy threatens "severe" health problems, but none provides reimbursement for all medically necessary abortions for low-income women.) Finally, one state (SD) fails even to comply with the Hyde Amendment, instead providing coverage only for lifesaving abortions.

Additional provisions adopted by Congress may further burden access to abortion services for Medicaid recipients, even those in states with nondiscriminatory funding. The Balanced Budget Act of 1997, for example, permits health maintenance organizations (HMOs) serving Medicaid recipients to refuse to cover counseling or referral for services, such as abortion, to which the HMO objects on moral or religious grounds. As a result, even in states with nondiscriminatory funding, women seeking abortions may face obstacles in even finding a provider.
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 5th, 2011 at 7:03:24 AM permalink

sneer at a woman like Sarah Palin for keeping a child known to be special needs before birth.

No. I sneer at her for exploting her child by carrying him around like a sack of potatoes at political events to further her own ambitions.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 5th, 2011 at 2:08:30 PM permalink
Quote: matilda

No. I sneer at her for exploting her child by carrying him around like a sack of potatoes at political events to further her own ambitions.

So you have a problem with a politician taking their family to political events? Did you get upset when Chelsea Clinton was around Bill? I fail to see the problem, happens all the time.
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 5th, 2011 at 2:42:31 PM permalink

So you have a problem with a politician taking their family to political events? Did you get upset when Chelsea Clinton was around Bill? I fail to see the problem, happens all the time.

No, I didn't expect you to see the problem and I am correct.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 5th, 2011 at 3:14:37 PM permalink
Quote: matilda

No, I didn't expect you to see the problem and I am correct.

Again, what problem? And she isn't running for anything right now and has not since 2008.

Maybe you are just not the kind of person who can handle a srtong woman?

• Jump to: