February 18th, 2011 at 5:48:23 PM permalink
Probably useless. But why the hell not?

I'm not voting on this one.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
February 18th, 2011 at 5:57:04 PM permalink
I have to say you are missing the option I use. That I take all he says with a pinch of salt and try not to let him piss me off. I often ignore him, occasionally respond and rant, but all in all I just let him be.

Because after all, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and while I might not agree with what someone has to say, I will fight to the death to defend their right to be a complete asshole. Doesnt matter who really. Everyone can say things that can be construed as hurtful, or are deliberatly designed to be so, but after all, not everyone in the world agrees, if they did, life would be simple.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 18th, 2011 at 6:51:50 PM permalink
Nareed- I basically agree with Croupier. Your poll, which asks people to classify their sexual preference and feelings about mkl, is silly. You already know exactly who and what mkl is, as do the rest of the forum members. He makes many intersting points, and many insulting ones. I have been the target, early on here, of some mild barbs. I let them drift away into the ether of the internet. His gambling knowledge has had him answer many of my gambling questions. I appreciate the answers. I generally am interested in his takes on religion and atheism. I also appreciate his doggedness when it comes to exposing the system hucksters. So-
I would guess it would be in YOUR best interests to just not engage him in any non gambling related matter.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 18th, 2011 at 7:18:01 PM permalink
+1... I find this poll kinda of dumb and certainly not helping matters. My sexuality has nothing to do with how I view posters on this board, and in an ideal world, it should affect yours.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 18th, 2011 at 7:25:14 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

+1... I find this poll kinda of dumb and certainly not helping matters. My sexuality has nothing to do with how I view posters on this board, and in an ideal world, it should affect yours.

I agree. But his majesty keeps saying my gender dysphoria is all that keeps me from worshiping at his feet. I'd like to test that.
Nareed
Nareed
February 18th, 2011 at 7:26:30 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

So-
I would guess it would be in YOUR best interests to just not engage him in any non gambling related matter.

It would be in my best interest not to engage him at all. As soon as he stops stomping on me, we can go back to ignoring each other.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
February 18th, 2011 at 8:00:11 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'm not voting on this one.

Are we talking about MLK - Martin Luther King Jr.? Or are we talking about MKL from this board? My vote depends on this answer.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
February 18th, 2011 at 8:41:48 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Are we talking about MLK - Martin Luther King Jr.? Or are we talking about MKL from this board? My vote depends on this answer.

The answer you are looking for lies behind door number 2.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 18th, 2011 at 11:30:23 PM permalink
MLK? Who's that? If you mean MKL, have you got a man crush on him or something? Just ignore most of his posts, life is too short.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 19th, 2011 at 1:00:54 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Apparently sexuality/gender identity is paramount for Nareed. I certainly seem to have gotten him in a lather--and all I did was say that a sex change operation was physically impossible. I guess it's sort of like telling one of those 2 A.M. radio talk show callers that there aren't any alien ships orbiting Earth.

It's interesting--and significant--that Nareed is so, so, so offended by matters of gender and sex, but insists on reminding us every minute of every day what his "sexual identity" is, as if it was something we all massively cared about.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 19th, 2011 at 1:02:10 AM permalink

It would be in my best interest not to engage him at all. As soon as he stops stomping on me, we can go back to ignoring each other.

Which one of us started a thread about the other?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
February 19th, 2011 at 3:56:26 AM permalink
I enjoy most of mkl's posts and have learned a lot from him. Nareed , why are you so hung up on him that you can't even get his name right and why do you drag GLBT into yet another thread? The Wizard gave you your own corner and you've taken full advantage of it. Yes, it's your corner.

Nareed, up until a month ago, I enjoyed and even looked forward to your posts. Now you're acting like a spoiled child throwing tantrums when someone disagrees with you. You sound like a sad and bitter man.

You made this poll because you know there's a few members who will help you fan the flames. I'm fairly confident that mkl wouldn't start a ridiculous poll like this.

I wish you the best in all your endeavors and look forward to reading the good posts that you are capable of writing.
Nareed
Nareed
February 19th, 2011 at 4:22:29 AM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

Nareed , why are you so hung up on him that you can't even get his name right and why do you drag GLBT into yet another thread?

I'm very good with typos. It's a gift :)

As to GLBT, it's mkl's contention that's why I don't like him. I'm testing that.

Quote:

Nareed, up until a month ago, I enjoyed and even looked forward to your posts. Now you're acting like a spoiled child throwing tantrums when someone disagrees with you.

I don't mind people who disagree with me. I mind people who state opinions as facts, then refuse to admit factual mistakes and simply keep repeating their opinions like sheep. And I dislike them a lot more when they take an offensive and condescending attitude while doing so.

Quote:

You made this poll because you know there's a few members who will help you fan the flames. I'm fairly confident that MKL wouldn't start a ridiculous poll like this.

He's done polls on JL which were more ridiculous than this one.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 19th, 2011 at 4:52:23 AM permalink

I mind people who state opinions as facts

He's done polls on JL which were more ridiculous than this one.

Be careful Nareed. It seems like you stated an opinion, that mkl has done polls more ridiculous than yours, as a fact. You are doing EXACTLY what mkl does. So you should 'mind (yourself) as you state opinions as facts'. If I started a poll (WHICH I WILL NOT) on whose poll is more ridiculous, I would say yours is. Again, you do not seem to handle the insensitivities of an anonymous internet poster well. It would be better for YOU to ignore him.
Nareed
Nareed
February 19th, 2011 at 5:06:29 AM permalink

Be careful Nareed. It seems like you stated an opinion, that mkl has done polls more ridiculous than yours, as a fact. You are doing EXACTLY what mkl does.

I don't use the word Trekkie as an insult, I used to be one. Right now you're using classic Trekkie nit-picking methods. Yes, it's an opinion. I didn't mean it to be more than that, but I fail to see why you think so.

If I'd said "mkl's posted more ridiculous polls about JL, therefore we know he's this or that," you'd be right. In such a case, I'd be using an opinion to derive a conclusion. In other words using an opinion as a fact.

Quote:

Again, you do not seem to handle the insensitivities of an anonymous internet poster well. It would be better for YOU to ignore him.

Some things can't be ignored. Or if you prefer, there are some things I can't ignore.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 19th, 2011 at 6:33:02 AM permalink

Completely useless. First, why would you start a poll that is a very thinly veiled personal attack on another person? And if you decided to do it, why would you do it when the site owner has already put the FSZ on "probation" for personal attacks? Secondly, what on earth does a person's being gay have to do with their opinion of MKL?

And finally, why your constant obsession with pushing gay issues on a gambling/vegas website? For that matter, why your constant pushing of gay issues and topics, period? Maybe you haven't noticed but other than you 99% of posts here do not discuss the issue. No one seems to care if a gay person discusses sports betting, card counting, or dice control. But many (including myself) do get tired of people feeling the need to tell us they are gay 10 times a week. I won't speak for MKL but I would guess he is one of them.

You have, in the last 2 months or so, moved from wanting "tolerance" for coming out on the board to wanting "acceptance" and now to wanting others to talk about your sexual choices. Well, most people are not interested in "sex talk" here as this is not 7th grade. Of those most people, most ignore you and hope you move on. MKL seems to be one of us who suspect you will not move on and are just asking in a firmer and firmer tone that you drop the subject, just as if you were at a bar and agitating everyone you would be asked to drop it by the bartender or the guy at the corner of the bar.

So, why not drop it? Post gay issues in the GLBT Corner section that you asked for and were graciously given by the Wizard. For other posts, stick to the topic and refrain from caring about the other guys (or gals) sexual choices. In all cases, quit demanding people accept your choices in life. If you cannot do the last one, use the ignore feature.

BTW: I know Nareed has me on ignore but I know he is peeking. Maybe this will show up via MKL or another person replying so he does see it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
February 19th, 2011 at 7:00:43 AM permalink
Nareed,

I come to this board to read about gambling. Your sexual status/preference are not the reason I read posts here. It has become a distraction because you two can't seem to keep it in the section of the forum designed for those types of conversations. I don't know who is worse about it--I'm not going to read all the posts and figure out "who started it"--but I do know that people who try to "get your goat" generally go away when you don't give them any attention.

I had no clue you were GLBT when I started reading your posts. I enjoyed reading this forum and you were a decent contributor. I have to say that the whole GLBT has gotten out of hand IN MY OPINION and is now invading sections of the forum that should be kust about gambling. If you are bringing it up in other areas, you are wrong. If MKL is bringing it up, he is wrong. Your sexual situation (and mine, for that matter) is not appropriate material for threads not about...sexual preferences.

I have a brother-in-law who is gay and out. I have talked to him about the behavior of people who push their sexuality on others--the ones who insist that everyone like gays, everyone support gays, everyone believe in gays, etc.--and it offends him just as it offends me. Keep your sexuality where it belongs--out of the rest of this forum about gambling, please!!!

The bad here is beginning to outweigh the good. I hear that happens on many forums, but strong moderators sometimes are able to overcome it by enforcing very specific rules that everyone can understand. They are rules that may allow less than totally free speech, but this is not the public square...it is the Wizard's playground. Do any of us really think some of the crap that has been going on here is worthy of the Wizard? I'm not saying that we should bow at his feet; just that we should treat his internet home just as we would his real home.

Thanks, Wizard, for allowing us to discuss things on this board. My opinion is that you should tighten up the rules and not allow some of the things that have been going on here in the future. If it is a discussion of GLBT issues, keep it in that zone. If it is about an issue other than gambling, keep it in the free speech area (if it continues to exist). I'd love to read more about gaming here...not about other things.

My two cents worth...thanks for reading!!
Nareed
Nareed
February 19th, 2011 at 7:09:59 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

I'm not going to read all the posts and figure out "who started it"--but I do know that people who try to "get your goat" generally go away when you don't give them any attention.

You don't have to, it was mkl. I admit I made an offhand comment in this section about the GLBT section (about the section, not the contents of it), which set the troll off. Perhaps I shouldn't have responded, but I can't change the fact that I did.

Quote:

I have to say that the whole GLBT has gotten out of hand IN MY OPINION and is now invading sections of the forum that should be kust about gambling.

You see, I don't get that. The forum was never just about gambling. It's a big part of it, yes, but also about Las Vegas. In addition there have been sections for posting about things other than gambling and Vegas. No one complained about long discussions on orbital mechanics for some reason, though they are as far removed from gambling as discussions of movies (which also no one seems to mind).
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 19th, 2011 at 7:26:10 AM permalink
I am happy to say I missed any friction between these two, probably something to do with my tendency to abandon old threads, a practice I recommend.

It certainly surprises me that this is something to do with the transgender thing.

I'd say I get a suspicion that a poster's personality might bug me if I engaged them alot in about 50% of the cases here. I just don't come here for those purposes. If MKL wanted my opinion on how he should be going about his internet life, I'm sure he would ask me. Perhaps it's fair to say that he belongs on a list of folks here that will quickly send me away from certain threads, he seems to take offense rather easily.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
February 19th, 2011 at 7:30:53 AM permalink
You are right, Nareed. I should have taken it further. It is about Las Vegas but it is an offshoot of the "Wizard of Odds" site, which is mainly about...gambling and the math behind it.

Orbital mechanics is likely a subject of interest to people who enjoy talking about math and science. It may not be "on topic" but it is still in the arena of math. However, to be fair, that type of discussion should be in the proper section of the forum also.

GLBT issues have a section. If anyone wants to discuss them, this forum is "friendly" by providing that area (though some of the comments may not be friendly)...

So your contention is that MKL started it and you responded...okay, if it was bait, you took it. Instead of taking it the next time, ignore it. We'd all be better doing that when someone annoys us. Keep in mind that people who annoy me might be funny to you...we won't all be offended by the same person. If you think MKL won't change, just ignore him!! He can do the same to you...

My opinion only--I want to read about gambling, math, and Las Vegas here...
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 19th, 2011 at 8:11:26 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Completely useless. First, why would you start a poll that is a very thinly veiled personal attack on another person? And if you decided to do it, why would you do it when the site owner has already put the FSZ on "probation" for personal attacks? Secondly, what on earth does a person's being gay have to do with their opinion of MKL?

And finally, why your constant obsession with pushing gay issues on a gambling/vegas website? For that matter, why your constant pushing of gay issues and topics, period? Maybe you haven't noticed but other than you 99% of posts here do not discuss the issue. No one seems to care if a gay person discusses sports betting, card counting, or dice control. But many (including myself) do get tired of people feeling the need to tell us they are gay 10 times a week. I won't speak for MKL but I would guess he is one of them.

You have, in the last 2 months or so, moved from wanting "tolerance" for coming out on the board to wanting "acceptance" and now to wanting others to talk about your sexual choices. Well, most people are not interested in "sex talk" here as this is not 7th grade. Of those most people, most ignore you and hope you move on. MKL seems to be one of us who suspect you will not move on and are just asking in a firmer and firmer tone that you drop the subject, just as if you were at a bar and agitating everyone you would be asked to drop it by the bartender or the guy at the corner of the bar.

So, why not drop it? Post gay issues in the GLBT Corner section that you asked for and were graciously given by the Wizard. For other posts, stick to the topic and refrain from caring about the other guys (or gals) sexual choices. In all cases, quit demanding people accept your choices in life. If you cannot do the last one, use the ignore feature.

BTW: I know Nareed has me on ignore but I know he is peeking. Maybe this will show up via MKL or another person replying so he does see it.

I'm with you AZ. I don't care if Nareed's transgender and I don't care about gay / straight / TG opinions either when it comes to gambling or this forum.

With respect to MKL, he has some valuable opinions. I've said the same thing about JerryLogan too. Both can be quite abrasive, and clearly MKL appears to enjoy the debate (and is rare to admit that he is wrong). I know however, that he has managed to piss you off Nareed. My question to you is "why do you care?" Why do you seem to be offended that someone living thousands of miles away from you who you don't really know is making some comment on the validity of your journey? There are a few people I don't like in this world and I just tend to ignore them. Do the same on this forum.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 19th, 2011 at 9:10:21 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

There are a few people I don't like in this world and I just tend to ignore them. Do the same on this forum.

oddly, this has been Nareed's advice at times.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
February 19th, 2011 at 12:47:05 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I know however, that he has managed to piss you off Nareed. My question to you is "why do you care?" Why do you seem to be offended that someone living thousands of miles away from you who you don't really know is making some comment on the validity of your journey?

I can ignore someone who does that. I find it harder to ignore someone who says that while pretending to be supportive and sympathetic.
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 19th, 2011 at 3:34:21 PM permalink

I can ignore someone who does that. I find it harder to ignore someone who says that while pretending to be supportive and sympathetic.

My pity for you is genuine. Your life must be a living hell; if you react to me, an internet poster whom you have never met and whose posts you don't even have to read, in such vehement and defensive fashion, how must you react to the persons you physically encounter every day? Do you go off like a rocket at every real or perceived slight? Seems to me like a life spent on high alert and in conflict with everyone and everything--not any fun at all.

I should correct you on one point--I am sympathetic to your plight and your condition, but I am anything but supportive of your "transgender journey", not only because it is a fool's errand (as it would be for anyone attempting something that is not possible), but because it has so obviously NOT brought you the peace of mind you are seeking.
aahigh
aahigh
  • Threads: 3
February 20th, 2011 at 12:49:37 AM permalink
OMFG. Listen you guys. I barely freaking post to this board because it has become overrun with bullshit topics and freaking teenage (at best) disagreements about things that are more banal than Justin Beiber's status as a legitimate teen star.

Freaking goddamn it! This is a mother freaking gd GAMBLER f'ing forum.

I don't care about gay crap.

I don't care about freaking Jr High School Primma DOnna bull freaking shee ite!

Let us freaking get rid of the GD freaking noise on this GD forum and freaking talk about something like GD gambling or GD Las Vegas.

I don't care if you have both a penis and vagina.

I don't care who the freak is sleeping with who or if you like to suck cock or lick assholes for kicks.

Talk about the GD hard ways or counting cards for GD crying out F'ing loud.

Why do you think i don't post .. you freaks who dominate this GD forum are freaking OBSESSED WITH YOUR GD SELF!!!!

GET OVER YOUR GD SELF AND THINK ABOUT THE OTHER PEOPLE ON HERE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE TO TALK ABOUT GD GAMBLING!!!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 20th, 2011 at 12:58:25 AM permalink
God Damn, yeah!
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
February 20th, 2011 at 3:29:26 AM permalink
Quote: aahigh

OMFG. Listen you guys. I barely freaking post to this board because it has become overrun with bullshit topics and freaking teenage (at best) disagreements about things that are more banal than Justin Beiber's status as a legitimate teen star.

Freaking goddamn it! This is a mother freaking gd GAMBLER f'ing forum.

I don't care about gay crap.

I don't care about freaking Jr High School Primma DOnna bull freaking shee ite!

Let us freaking get rid of the GD freaking noise on this GD forum and freaking talk about something like GD gambling or GD Las Vegas.

I don't care if you have both a penis and vagina.

I don't care who the freak is sleeping with who or if you like to suck cock or lick assholes for kicks.

Talk about the GD hard ways or counting cards for GD crying out F'ing loud.

Why do you think i don't post .. you freaks who dominate this GD forum are freaking OBSESSED WITH YOUR GD SELF!!!!

GET OVER YOUR GD SELF AND THINK ABOUT THE OTHER PEOPLE ON HERE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE TO TALK ABOUT GD GAMBLING!!!

I agree. Who cares what type of holes you like to plug. It has no relevance when discussing someone's opinion on virtually every topic. Ridiculous poll.
PeteM
PeteM
  • Threads: 4
February 20th, 2011 at 4:26:33 AM permalink
I concur with Aussie and aahigh. I concurIconcurIconcur
"Win with a smile, lose with grace."
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
February 20th, 2011 at 5:05:12 PM permalink
MKL reminds me of that character Frank Gallagher from "Shameless" ...

pcket5s
pcket5s
  • Threads: 1
February 20th, 2011 at 5:50:18 PM permalink
Quote: aahigh

GD F'ing right doggy...

I dislike MKL, but I agree this poll is childish at best.
I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 20th, 2011 at 9:17:08 PM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

MKL reminds me of that character Frank Gallagher from "Shameless" ...

I would violate several forum rules if I posted a picture of what you remind me of.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 22nd, 2011 at 1:56:51 PM permalink
What offense banned mkl?
Nareed
Nareed
February 22nd, 2011 at 2:14:09 PM permalink

What offense banned mkl?

He insulted Jerry Logan in the thread about Spain as a location for a Eurovegas.

How's that for irony?
  • Jump to: