Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 7th, 2010 at 7:22:34 PM permalink
In case you're wondering why Jerry won't be around for three days, see this post.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
December 7th, 2010 at 9:15:41 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Why only Christian? I can't Jewish in America and love God? My friends can't be Muslim in America and love God? All three faiths worship the same Deity. Why should one specific religious interpretation be forced upon the rest of us?

As best I understand New Testament Christianity, being a "Christian" in the New Testament sense of the word means believing a very specific means of salvation AND taking that means to be your means of salvation. In other words, it teaches that Jesus died for the sins of all men for all times as the perfect sacrifice (in the Old Testament sense), and that sacrifice was validated by God in the resurrection, and it is the single and only way to salvation; that is, reconciliation with God and subsequent entry into heaven. AND, I think it means that you, as an individual, believe that to be true in your deepest heart of hearts.

Whether or not the New Testament is to be believed, it does teach that merely believing that God exists does not make someone a Christian in the New Testament sense. The gospels describe all sorts of people and demons that believe in God and yet are not saved in the New Testament sense.

Note bene: I'm only trying to describe what I understand the New Testament sense of the definition of "Christian" to be.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
December 7th, 2010 at 9:27:50 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Judge not, and you shall not be judged.

I think this is taken somewhat out of context. The whole context is:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Or, in a more contemporary version ...

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I don't think this means to not judge at all. I think it means to be careful when and how you judge, because however you judge others is the way you'll be judged.

I remember in the last election, some candidate was shown as saying, "wives should submit to their husbands" and then painted as a kook. When the whole context of the comment was shown, you could see how gross that was. I think the whole "judge not" thing falls into the same category of deception.

The context starts with "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Then, there's the oft-used club of "Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord." But once it's done talking to the wives, it talks to the husbands: "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." If I'm not mistaken, Jesus died a torturous death for the church. So whatever this means, it surely doesn't mean, "Wives, you should submit no matter how shitty your husband treats you, because your husband gets a free pass to treat you shitty, and if you don't submit, you're going straight to hell."
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
December 7th, 2010 at 9:42:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

In case you're wondering why Jerry won't be around for three days, see this post.

<<Hoping for a three-strikes law>>
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 13th, 2010 at 1:33:16 AM permalink
I'm slowly figuring out that this show is one big advertisement for how wonderful AK is. Sarah drills it in every week how gorgeous AK is and how everybody who lives there cherishes the wilderness life. Bulloney. There in no way in HELL she does all the crap she's doing on this show on a regular basis, she wouldn't have the time. Summers are very short there and in the winter all there is to do is drink and watch TV. Camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, climbing, blasting away with guns on every episode, how did she ever find the time to campaign all summer too. Another really real reality show..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 13th, 2010 at 1:48:48 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I'm slowly figuring out that this show is one big advertisement for how wonderful AK is...Another really real reality show..

I'm not sure her show should qualify as a "reality show." It is no secret she was paid well to star in it. I view it more like those Samantha Brown shows where she goes various places and says nice things about them.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
December 13th, 2010 at 3:52:16 AM permalink

I'm slowly figuring out that this show is one big advertisement for how wonderful AK is. Sarah drills it in every week how gorgeous AK is and how everybody who lives there cherishes the wilderness life. Bulloney. There in no way in HELL she does all the crap she's doing on this show on a regular basis, she wouldn't have the time. Summers are very short there and in the winter all there is to do is drink and watch TV. Camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, climbing, blasting away with guns on every episode, how did she ever find the time to campaign all summer too. Another really real reality show..

That's really all it is. It presents how great a state Alaska is to an American public who mostly knows nothing about it. What I like most about it is how it irritates liberals. Just knowing how much they fear her because of her strong family values and how that gets under their skin is well worth the effort put into the show.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 19th, 2010 at 8:14:27 PM permalink
Sarah Palin pronounces the word water like this: 'wadder'. Its drives me crazy. Its like saying 'Warshington' instead of Washington. Arrggh.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
December 20th, 2010 at 7:19:05 AM permalink

Sarah Palin pronounces the word water like this: 'wadder'. Its drives me crazy. Its like saying 'Warshington' instead of Washington. Arrggh.

I have a fairly thick Boston accent with a little Brooklyn thrown in. I pronounce it 'wadda.'

Palin would sound good next to me.
  • Jump to: