2 votes (13.33%)
11 votes (73.33%)
2 votes (13.33%)

15 members have voted

Chuck
Chuck
  • Threads: 4
September 16th, 2010 at 4:44:28 AM permalink
1) I'd vote for the least of however many evils were running.

2) There are primaries where if no candidate gets a majority, then there's a runoff between the top two vote getters, thus ensuring a majority for the eventual winner. You could make an argument for implementing that in general elections, but I don't understand the practicality of what you are proposing about a candidate having to reach a certain threshold number of votes in order to win. What is the threshold based on? What are you saying, you just keep holding elections every so often until someone gets X votes? Talk about an incentive to buy votes with cash...

3) Not voting does not and should not count for anything.

4) People should not be exhorted to vote by goo-goos. The fewer lazy oblivious people who vote, the better.
bcooper
bcooper
  • Threads: 0
September 16th, 2010 at 8:17:20 PM permalink
1. If there's a candidate from a third party that I like, I'd vote for him/her regardless.
2. If there are two standard evils (random Dem & Rep) and I feel neutral on all the third party candidates, I'd vote for whoever I could pick as the lesser of the two evils.
3. If there are two exceptional evils that I could never bring myself to vote for either of them, say Pelosi and Gingrich (that should piss off everyone), I'd probably just write-in either myself or a local sports figure.
EnvyBonus
EnvyBonus
  • Threads: 6
September 16th, 2010 at 8:21:19 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Why do you "absolutely have to"?

I think that voting for someone, not because you want him for the job, but because you want the other guy even less, is bound to have more significance in a close election, therefore such an election is the one occasion when you should be least inclined to do that. I'd hate to vote for Scumbag A, and see him beat out Scumbag B by one vote, and know that my refusal to simply gag, drop the ballot, and walk away had caused a scumbag to be elected.

By dropping the ballot and walking away, a scumbag still still gets elected, and it's the scumbag you dislike most. That is why you "absolutely have to" vote for the candidate (or party) you prefer in relation to the other, instead of not voting at all.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 16th, 2010 at 8:38:29 PM permalink
Quote: bcooper

1. If there's a candidate from a third party that I like, I'd vote for him/her regardless.
2. If there are two standard evils (random Dem & Rep) and I feel neutral on all the third party candidates, I'd vote for whoever I could pick as the lesser of the two evils.
3. If there are two exceptional evils that I could never bring myself to vote for either of them, say Pelosi and Gingrich (that should piss off everyone), I'd probably just write-in either myself or a local sports figure.

I'd pay $29.95 on pay-per-view if we could have an election between Pelosi and Gingrich, decided by tossing both of them into a cage, wearing only loincloths, and each armed with a pair of scissors.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 16th, 2010 at 8:58:41 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I'd pay $29.95 on pay-per-view if we could have an election between Pelosi and Gingrich, decided by tossing both of them into a cage, wearing only loincloths, and each armed with a pair of scissors.

Can we fill a whole billet?

Start with Duffy Vs Lassa in a Lumberjack Match
Then Toomey Vs Sestak above an aquarium filled with sharks with freakin laser beams
Then Paul vs Conway in a last-man-standing windbagathon
Then Noem and Herseth-Sandlin fight in a vat of jello
Then Palin and Romney compare manicures in 2012 preview match
Then we get to your main event of Pelosi and Gingrich in a cage match with scissors.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett

• Jump to: