Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 148
November 19th, 2018 at 10:23:06 AM permalink
my fear is being marginalized by tech
people are loving up all this new tech stuff and I don't
feel like I'm an outsider - don't want to take a thousand pictures of myself and my family every month
don't want to talk to a bot - it feels real weird
don't want to make videos of trivial stuff

it's not that I don't think I could acquire the knowledge to use it
I'm sure I easily could
all these people can't be geniuses

I just don't want to
"that ball hit his hands. that's a foul ball. the hands are part of the bat"........... "O.K. you think the hands are part of the bat then go down to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a bat with hands attached." former MLB umpire Jim Evans
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
Thanks for this post from:
miplet
November 19th, 2018 at 11:29:28 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

I took 5 years to graduate.

So what, you were like 11 by then?
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
November 19th, 2018 at 4:40:43 PM permalink

That's not really all that bad. You only had one extra year. Reminds me of a Teenage book I read in actual high school. Lizette, a Senior, was seen holding hands with Tommy, a Junior, and someone mentioned, "Why is Lizette dating Tommy? Isn't she too old for him? The reply was,"Actually, Tommy was held back a year, so they are the same age."
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 19th, 2018 at 4:53:11 PM permalink

Went the Regents route (anyone?). 9th grade Regents math was carrying a 32 average. Non-regents popped into 50's. Failed English, Spanish...I passed Earth Science and Phys Ed only. That was it. Summer school.

10th failed English, math, social studies.... mid 90's in Bio, phys ed.... summer school.

11th was suspended some 40 times (in school), failed math, history, Spanish...everything but Chemistry and gym, which were A+. Summer school.

12th skipped everything, quizzed and tested my way into passing what little I had left. Crushed physics and got a 63 on my math. Teach pulled me aside, asked me a few questions, boom. Two points for a 65. I passed math.

Cull all the BS and pop in my summer school grades, I got my Regents with an A.

So, neener neener, I got mine in 4. My years just happened to be 270 days long -_-
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
November 19th, 2018 at 5:01:25 PM permalink
I think I went to about 2 years out of 4 in high school because I kept skipping school and almost didn't graduate
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
November 19th, 2018 at 5:15:48 PM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

I never finished high school

I didnít finish College despite spending 4 years there, and I feel guilty about it every day.
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 23
November 19th, 2018 at 5:31:21 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I didnít finish College despite spending 4 years there, and I feel guilty about it every day.

It took me 15 years to graduate college. I'm not a doctor.
"A little luck never hurt any fisherman, that's all I know." - Sig Hansen
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 157
November 19th, 2018 at 5:51:55 PM permalink
It used to be that in NY State, you had to pass a certain number of course and tests that were called Regents classes in order to get a Regents
Diploma. Getting a non Regents Diploma wasn't acceptable for most as it was looked at as inferior. I'm not saying it was, but in eleventh grade people not on the Regents track had better be good in shop or something. While some courses had Regents credits, you needed to pass a test in History, Science, Spanish, and a few other subjects. I think it was six or eight tests in total
So I transfer into a school the start of my Junior year and keep hearing how screwed I am because the Regents test cover material kids already were taught and won't be taught again. Looking over old exams, there is a bunch of stuff I was never taught. My family gets an after school tutor to help me, but I'm playing sports and its a two hour commute each way by bus( twenty minutes by car, which hardly ever happened) so May comes and I pretty much screwed. There are two tests I just cant pass. I can get in the mid 60s, which technically is passing but not Regents Credited.

I must have put 100 hours of studying the last few weeks but its borderline at best that I'll pass them. Regents Week comes and the day before testing begins, someone stole the answer keys and distributed an unknown amount of copies. Test canceled and that years Regents credits were issued by teacher recommendation or something. I believe SooPoo is around my age, so hopefully he benefited from it as well.

I ended up winning a Regents Scholarship which at the time was based solely on a single test- I think the PSAT, but don't remember, and an ROTC scholarship( my year was a record low # of applicants), but I'm not at all sure I would have gotten the Regents Diploma without those stolen tests.

In school, I was great at the classes I liked- History, Geography, some math, Religion, some sciences but some I was indifferent to. I failed geometry twice, but that was because of the teacher. He didn't teach. He assigned homework and then spent the whole class reviewing the homework on an overhead projector. Ended up with him a second time in summer school and failed again. Transferred schools and was top of the class the next year. As I was new to the school, had gotten into a few fights early on and had failed the class twice already, I was suspected of cheating. I finished one test so fast and got such a good score, that the teacher pulled me out of gym and made me take it over in front of him. He kept harping on me to confess, that the paper wouldn't lie and I'd screw up the retest.
Ended up getting almost the same score and an apology. We started talking and I found out he thought I was 19 years old and was returning to school after dropping out a few years before. I was 15 and transferred. Things went much smoother after that.
But I digress....
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1248
November 19th, 2018 at 6:24:14 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I know people who were in and out of college until their 40's when they finally graduated.

As for me, I admit I took a 5th year, but was only 17 quarter credits short after the 4th year. I was hoping to get a degree signed by Robert Huttenback, which would have happened had a graduated on time. However, alas, a change of major and some very tough classes in statistics slowed things down.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
November 19th, 2018 at 6:54:31 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I know people who were in and out of college until their 40's when they finally graduated.

As for me, I admit I took a 5th year, but was only 17 quarter credits short after the 4th year. I was hoping to get a degree signed by Robert Huttenback, which would have happened had a graduated on time. However, alas, a change of major and some very tough classes in statistics slowed things down.

The class that really broke me was Discrete Math II

The professor was just terrible. Very poor English, very bad teaching skills. He got very frustrated when anyone asked questions or asked for clarification, and he was the only teacher at the university who taught the course. Discrete math 1 was with another professor and I got an A.

After failing that class 3 times and realizing I wouldnít graduate on time, and for a variety of other reasons I wonít make excuses for, I became unmotivated and apathetic towards my other course work and dropped out.

Iím doing career wise now, but Iím sure Iíd be making more money if I had that degree.

• Jump to: