Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
December 2nd, 2012 at 4:48:37 AM permalink
When I saw "Alfred's Spotted Dick" on the menu at Queen Victoria's Pub at the Riviera I couldn't resist ordering it.

Click on image for larger version.

The "dick" part of it, what is shaped like the hockey pucks in the picture, tastes like cold hard cookie dough. Maybe this is something they like in England but it was too heavy and sweet for my tastes. At least I can say I've tried it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 2nd, 2012 at 5:27:02 AM permalink
Oh thank goodness. At first I thought the
tone / subject matter of the FORUMS had
taken a substantial change in direction !

And what's up with serving GRAVY
with dessert ?
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo 
  • Threads: 4
December 2nd, 2012 at 7:02:54 AM permalink
They sell this at Whole Foods down the street from me. Cracked up when I saw the cans of the stuff.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 2nd, 2012 at 7:08:03 AM permalink
Wiki tells the usual ingredients. It even has a discussion that includes speculation about the origin of the name and some alterations that have been tried in an attempt to avoid offending the sensitive ones.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo 
  • Threads: 4
December 2nd, 2012 at 7:11:27 AM permalink
Actually I think Whole Foods carries the Heinz brand
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 2nd, 2012 at 7:42:25 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
December 2nd, 2012 at 7:46:27 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

And what's up with serving GRAVY with dessert ?

That yellow stuff is creme. I suppose you're supposed to pour it on the dick, but I dipped mine in it.

Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Thats exactly what it looks like too. Chocolate chip?

Those are raisins.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
December 2nd, 2012 at 9:12:22 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I suppose your supposed to pour it on the dick, but I dipped mine in it.

Oh my.

Seems like there would be several health code violations there.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 2nd, 2012 at 9:34:42 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
December 2nd, 2012 at 9:48:42 AM permalink

Oh my.

Seems like there would be several health code violations there.

Help I've fallen and can't get up.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
December 2nd, 2012 at 11:07:33 AM permalink
ps:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"

- Anyone else remember that one ?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 2nd, 2012 at 1:17:35 PM permalink
Oh, come on. It's as if no one knew English food was weird.

BTW I wouldn't put kidney in my mouth ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
December 2nd, 2012 at 1:23:34 PM permalink
Unless it had a culinary name?
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 2nd, 2012 at 3:25:05 PM permalink

Oh thank goodness. At first I thought the
tone / subject matter of the FORUMS had
taken a substantial change in direction !

And what's up with serving GRAVY
with dessert ?

The custard, by the looks of it, and what one should serve with spotted dick, or any other of the big English puddings. Plum Duff and Jam Roly-poly be other two traditional favourites.

I can pass on it, to be honest.

But I do have a slight craving for a good steak and kidney pie right now it's been mentioned. Fantastic stuff. Oh and Haggis. Beautiful earthy flavours in a decent haggis. You can be all prissy a refuse to eat off cuts and offal, but you are missing out if you don't at least try. My folks and grandparents especially were raised various bits of the animal, cos it was cheap, and they couldn't afford Prime cuts every week.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
December 2nd, 2012 at 3:35:52 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I suppose you're supposed to pour it on the dick, but I dipped mine in it.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
December 2nd, 2012 at 4:06:22 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

You can be all prissy a refuse to eat off cuts and offal, but you are missing out if you don't at least try.

People despise the idea of eating an animal's liver just as much as they aspire to the idea of eating foie gras.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
December 2nd, 2012 at 5:04:23 PM permalink

But I do have a slight craving for a good steak and kidney pie right now it's been mentioned. Fantastic stuff.

Well if you can get here in an hour my wife is just throwing one in the oven now. If we had smellograms I would send you a wif of the house right now, delicious.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 2nd, 2012 at 5:16:25 PM permalink
When I saw the title of the thread, I first thought I had logged onto DT by mistake. !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
December 2nd, 2012 at 6:15:03 PM permalink
"I'll have mine with extra chuckle"

- Liz Lemmon
30 Rock ( Last Year methinks )
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
December 2nd, 2012 at 9:15:41 PM permalink
At least it looks better than bangers & mash. I tried those once, and that was enough. Drywall mixed with cardboard would be less bland than that. This dish looks more up my alley due to the sweets.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 3rd, 2012 at 9:56:52 PM permalink

Oh and Haggis. Beautiful earthy flavours in a decent haggis. You can be all prissy a refuse to eat off cuts and offal, but you are missing out if you don't at least try. My folks and grandparents especially were raised various bits of the animal, cos it was cheap, and they couldn't afford Prime cuts every week.

I could go for a plate of haggis, neeps, and tatties right about now. I only visited Scotland for a week and change and I loved the stuff :(. Read an article about some places trying to sell it in the US a while ago, they were not being very successful haha.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 3rd, 2012 at 10:43:04 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

At least it looks better than bangers & mash. I tried those once, and that was enough. Drywall mixed with cardboard would be less bland than that. This dish looks more up my alley due to the sweets.

I have no idea what you got served, but doesn't sound like bangers and mash. Should be big, juicy pork sausages, a good gravy and a pile of fluffly, creamy mashed potatoes.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 3rd, 2012 at 10:43:31 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I could go for a plate of haggis, neeps, and tatties right about now. I only visited Scotland for a week and change and I loved the stuff :(. Read an article about some places trying to sell it in the US a while ago, they were not being very successful haha.

I can get it made fresh in town here in Canada, do it about once a year, cos it's not that cheap.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 4th, 2012 at 12:22:17 AM permalink

I have no idea what you got served, but doesn't sound like bangers and mash. Should be big, juicy pork sausages, a good gravy and a pile of fluffly, creamy mashed potatoes.

Local store makes bangers along with italian sausage and other varieties. There is a different flavor in the bangers, not sure how to describe it. Certainly this is a dish that should be good, shame on the restaurant that screwed it up!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
December 4th, 2012 at 5:49:58 AM permalink
My husband's office has a parking lot behind a strip mall, and he kept noticing men trysting in cars right behind his office, so he asked security if they could intervene to free up spaces for his patients to use. One of the therapists is British and she bought him a can of Heinz Spotted Dick because he had spotted some dick! My oldest son thought it was hilarious and donated it to the class canned food drive to draw attention to the event, and subsequently his class ended up with the most donations.

It looks like a bread pudding and I'd probably love it served with creme and ice cream, but I wouldn't want so many raisins because I don't care for very sweet things, either. Maybe replace half the raisins with nuts? I might have to find a recipe and whip one of those up one day!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 4th, 2012 at 8:14:59 AM permalink
" Maybe replace half the raisins with nuts? " Spotted Dick and Nuts sounds like a winning combination.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 4th, 2012 at 9:44:24 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

It looks like a bread pudding and I'd probably love it served with creme and ice cream, but I wouldn't want so many raisins because I don't care for very sweet things, either. Maybe replace half the raisins with nuts? I might have to find a recipe and whip one of those up one day!

Bread pudding is another wonderful thing. Spotted dick is a suet pudding (so, not for vegetarians if made properly, or those who are disgusted by the idea of eating various parts of the cow that aren't prime steak), while bread pudding is just milk, eggs, buttermilk and old bread. And good stuff like vanilla, raisins and the rest. I've made the latter in a crock pot... steams up a treat, could do with 10 minutes under a grill at the end to crisp the top up.
Jeepster
Jeepster
  • Threads: 3
July 13th, 2013 at 7:01:39 PM permalink
Spotted dick should be served hot with custard, and it most certainly should not come out of a can.
It's steamed and fairly heavy due to the suet and fruit, you wouldn't want to run a marathon after a bowl of it.
Very popular in the UK, except with the grey looking folk who consume nothing but fully skimmed milk, cottage cheese, lettuce and diet yogurt.
A photon without any luggage checks into a hotel, he's travelling light.
  • Jump to: