duffytootx
duffytootx
  • Threads: 0
July 19th, 2012 at 5:11:35 PM permalink
I don't know why ..... I too, like playing the Sigma derby. As does my wife. If it's working in October, we'll be giving it a whirl.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 157
July 19th, 2012 at 5:32:00 PM permalink
I played it years ago when there were quite a few around. I know people who don't otherwise gamble much who enjoy it.

I think one of the hooks is the come from behind horse.

There's often a horse that goes lollygagging around the course, until suddely there seems to be a fire under its butt, and it starts passing the herd on the last turn or so -- will it win or 2nd or 3rd?!!!!! You never know.
One person's freedom is another person's annoying crap.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
July 19th, 2012 at 5:47:49 PM permalink
saw the one at fitzgeralds. its upstairs kindof by the 5c 101.6% payback vp machine.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 51
July 19th, 2012 at 8:19:05 PM permalink
Foxwoods had Several Sigma Installations, including DERBY back in the early 90's. Fun to play then. They also had Sigma Video Poker, the installed 50c Deuces Wild Console versions had an unusual paytable of 5/10/20/20/20/45/75/125/800/4000.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 28
July 19th, 2012 at 9:03:57 PM permalink
The derby is my girlfriend's favorite thing to play in Vegas. We always have to play for at least an hour a trip. I always find it very comical that usually quite a few young woman sit down to play and a lot of them don't understand the rules/payouts
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 19th, 2012 at 9:19:48 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

I always find it very comical that usually quite a few young woman sit down to play and a lot of them don't understand the rules/payouts

you could be talking about either gender and any game with this quote...
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 174
July 20th, 2012 at 6:18:40 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I hear there is a similar, but more modern, game at Jerry's Nugget. I plan to check it out and write about it.

A few years ago, I saw a video horse race system at Mohegan Sun CT. Two back to back large screen monitors, with 5 or 6 betting stations on each side. I have no idea what the betting limits were or what types of bets it took. I watched in amazement for a few minutes, as the people were screaming at their animated horses, every bit as much as people in the race book scream at the monitors of the live races.

There was about a minute (maybe less) between races to get new bets down, and it's back to screaming at the animated horses.

Interestingly, this thing was installed right outside the race book doors.

Every time I look at the Sigma Derby picture, I imagine the system I saw at Mohegan Sun to be the modern version. Perhaps it's what you'll see at Jerry's Nugget.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 206
August 4th, 2012 at 9:44:34 PM permalink
Played the "Derby" at MGM this past week a couple
of times. What a Blast !

I had never seen or heard of it before this thread.

So thanks for posting/sharing this info. It seemed
like it also got pretty decent drink service when I
was there, so maybe the "Derby" crowd are good
tippers.
“You see, that’s why we’re a great band ! Yes we are, we are a band. I am in a band.”
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 174
August 14th, 2012 at 5:38:22 AM permalink
www.LVAdvice.com (not to be confused with Anthony Curtis' www.LasVegasAdvisor.com) has a thread about Sigma Derby.

It includes a link to a Las Vegas Review Journal article about the game. The article primarily talks about the game at the D.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
August 14th, 2012 at 8:00:03 AM permalink
There is also one of these at the Montblue in Stateline South Lake Tahoe. It is in the Sports Book bar and works about 1/2 the time.

• Jump to: