Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 8th, 2024 at 3:25:04 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: AZDuffman

Your post perfectly made the point my "stupid" post does. Your comments show you prefer everything just so to the freedom to do with your house what you want.

You have not seen what I have seen in the hassles that they can cause when you want a mortgage. Another problem is that in many places it is de facto impossible to buy new construction without an HOA due to state laws. As to the "hidden rules" well they can just add rules in most cases. Again, if you like lots of rules, have at it. To me the whole HOA culture feels like East Germany. Gotta give up your rights for "the common good" which in an HOA means things like all the homes have to have the same blandness. "Property value" is the reason they give. I do guess it is easier to paint when someone tells you what color you can use. I have even heard of HOAs where you have to buy the "approved" paint from the HOA!

The Karen life is not for me.

My last house was in an HOA but my current one is not. I never really had a problem with the HOA but I also read the guidelines before purchasing. For the $11 a month I paid I was happy because they took care of the common areas and the park.. I had a friend paying $440 a month for his HOA and I would not have done that.
link to original post

Some do not cause a ton of hassle, others are run by Karen and Chad who think they are dictators. The problem is in any organization like an HOA the types that want to micromanage will always eventually get power and then will eventually abuse it. To me it is saying that federal rules, state rules, county rules, and local rules are not enough for you so you pay someone to enforce even more rules. For all that, is it really an issue if your neighbor's mailbox is different than all the others?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 8th, 2024 at 3:27:27 PM permalink

For all that, is it really an issue if your neighbor's mailbox is different than all the others?

i would say it depends. If it has a political sticker on it, burn it down and the house too. I originally used an orange politicians name and didn't want this to be a reason for me to be suspended.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 8th, 2024 at 3:33:16 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

For all that, is it really an issue if your neighbor's mailbox is different than all the others?

i would say it depends. If it has a political sticker on it, burn it down and the house too. I originally used an orange politicians name and didn't want this to be a reason for me to be suspended.
link to original post

That would be a federal offense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 8th, 2024 at 3:46:28 PM permalink
Gulp. Quite a hijack we baddies have done. I think that the next technological advancement/implementation will be of figuring out a way to effectively save the massive rainfall/snowfall events’ water more effectively.
I mean, they can literally turn off Niagara Falls.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 9th, 2024 at 2:36:52 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Gulp. Quite a hijack we baddies have done. I think that the next technological advancement/implementation will be of figuring out a way to effectively save the massive rainfall/snowfall events’ water more effectively.
link to original post

They cannot turn it off, merely divert it. I hear the USA side is due to be shut off again soon. Will be a trip I make to see that. But I think they save it fairly well. The issue is where it has to go. And the biggie there is CA Ag. Inland CA is kind of farming in a desert at the moment. One has to drive thru it to really experience it. At the state line on the CA side is lush agriculture. Literally across the street is desert. Some of these fields are the supply to the entire world for those crops.

We will get wet years again. I still say that it is a matter of cycles that we do not know how long they are.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 9th, 2024 at 3:56:20 AM permalink

link to original post

They cannot turn it off, merely divert it. I hear the USA side is due to be shut off again soon. Will be a trip I make to see that. But I think they save it fairly well. The issue is where it has to go. And the biggie there is CA Ag. Inland CA is kind of farming in a desert at the moment. One has to drive thru it to really experience it. At the state line on the CA side is lush agriculture. Literally across the street is desert. Some of these fields are the supply to the entire world for those crops.

We will get wet years again. I still say that it is a matter of cycles that we do not know how long they are.
link to original post

I consider diverting the water elsewhere ‘turning Niagara Falls off’. So, YES, they can ‘turn it off’! If they do it again I will of course go to see it! I haven’t heard anything suggesting such…. but maybe I’m not listening in the right arenas….
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 9th, 2024 at 8:12:29 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I consider diverting the water elsewhere ‘turning Niagara Falls off’. So, YES, they can ‘turn it off’! If they do it again I will of course go to see it! I haven’t heard anything suggesting such…. but maybe I’m not listening in the right arenas….
link to original post

I have heard they are thinking on it from people up there.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
February 9th, 2024 at 12:32:13 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I don't know why people think manicured lawns and all the landscaping involved is such a great thing.
link to original post

I live on the border of a suburban and rural area and there are some properties that make me scratch my head. This one is right in the middle of a bunch of farms and horse stables but they themselves do no farming. Their whole 5+ acre yard is mowed grass with a couple of trees near the house. If it were my house I would replant so many trees you couldn't see the house from the road.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 9th, 2024 at 12:51:48 PM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

Quote: rxwine

I don't know why people think manicured lawns and all the landscaping involved is such a great thing.
link to original post

I live on the border of a suburban and rural area and there are some properties that make me scratch my head. This one is right in the middle of a bunch of farms and horse stables but they themselves do no farming. Their whole 5+ acre yard is mowed grass with a couple of trees near the house. If it were my house I would replant so many trees you couldn't see the house from the road.
link to original post

Some people want the house not the neighborhood. Trees are tricky. The house next door to where I grew up was the cat lady and front yard full of trees. In person it always looked awful, half as many trees would be better. But it was mostly pine trees which may have been part of it.
  • Jump to: