GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 20th, 2017 at 7:54:20 AM permalink
Has anyone done the Anderson dairy tour. We are looking for some other type of things to do with the kids and this seems ok.

We will not have a car however. If we do it we would have to take the bus or walk from freemont. Is this area safe to walk?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 20th, 2017 at 8:47:22 AM permalink
I am not familiar with Anderson, but looking at its location on a map, I would highly recommend you don't walk it.
First off, it's quite a distance, and not much shade that side of town.
Second, it takes you through ground zero of the homeless population in Vegas.
It's just not a safe area.
Uber or Lyft it. Lyft has promos for new users, just for signing up.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GWAE
GWAE
March 20th, 2017 at 9:34:12 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I am not familiar with Anderson, but looking at its location on a map, I would highly recommend you don't walk it.
First off, it's quite a distance, and not much shade that side of town.
Second, it takes you through ground zero of the homeless population in Vegas.
It's just not a safe area.
Uber or Lyft it. Lyft has promos for new users, just for signing up.

That is kinda what I figured. We are going to be there in 3 weeks so I wasn't worried about the sun or heat, or even the walk since it is only 1.5 miles each way. I just wasnt sure of the safety. We are going to have our 3 and 5 year with us so didn't want to take much of a chance.

Since the kids are so young we won't be able to take Uber since we need a car seat. Kids are actually allowed in cabs without a seat (I would never do it though) but I am pretty sure they can't with uber.

Our only real option is to take a bus bit it appears the bus runs up north lv Blvd and a short walk down to the factory.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
March 20th, 2017 at 10:29:34 AM permalink
Anderson Dairy has a tour page and a tour phone number [(702) 642-7507 ext 264], for these questions. Should be no biggie with Uber or a rent-a-car.

This thread is prompting me to do the Anderson Dairy tour, just to see where The Milk, butter, and ice cream of Las Vegas comes from.

Edit: Hey, this could be a WOV-West tour.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
GWAE
GWAE
March 20th, 2017 at 11:25:04 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Anderson Dairy has a tour page and a tour phone number [(702) 642-7507 ext 264], for these questions. Should be no biggie with Uber or a rent-a-car.

This thread is prompting me to do the Anderson Dairy tour, just to see where The Milk, butter, and ice cream of Las Vegas comes from.

Edit: Hey, this could be a WOV-West tour.

I was going to call but wasn't sure how good of an answer they would give when asking if they are in a safe area.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 20th, 2017 at 11:34:30 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

That is kinda what I figured. We are going to be there in 3 weeks so I wasn't worried about the sun or heat, or even the walk since it is only 1.5 miles each way. I just wasnt sure of the safety. We are going to have our 3 and 5 year with us so didn't want to take much of a chance.

Since the kids are so young we won't be able to take Uber since we need a car seat. Kids are actually allowed in cabs without a seat (I would never do it though) but I am pretty sure they can't with uber.

Our only real option is to take a bus bit it appears the bus runs up north lv Blvd and a short walk down to the factory.

There's a children's museum near the Premium Outlet mall. There's also a visitor's center with a few exhibits in Red Rock Canyon. I assume you have already done the Ethel M Chocolate factory tour.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
GWAE
GWAE
March 20th, 2017 at 11:43:29 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

There's a children's museum near the Premium Outlet mall. There's also a visitor's center with a few exhibits in Red Rock Canyon. I assume you have already done the Ethel M Chocolate factory tour.

We won't have a car on this trip so going to Henderson might be a bit tough.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
March 20th, 2017 at 11:55:20 AM permalink

We won't have a car on this trip so going to Henderson might be a bit tough.

No problem. The most important thing to remember about touring Las Vegas with toddlers is that they won't remember a thing about the trip, so take pictures, and don't stress about getting to every "special" thing. If you are staying on the Strip, the fountains at Bellagio, the free performances at Circus Circus, and the volcano at the Mirage are all you need. A couple hours at the hotel pool, and they're good to go.
GWAE
GWAE
March 20th, 2017 at 11:59:17 AM permalink

No problem. The most important thing to remember about touring Las Vegas with toddlers is that they won't remember a thing about the trip, so take pictures, and don't stress about getting to every "special" thing. If you are staying on the Strip, the fountains at Bellagio, the free performances at Circus Circus, and the volcano at the Mirage are all you need. A couple hours at the hotel pool, and they're good to go.

Thanks for the thoughts.
It is weird, we took our kids there in Oct 2015 so they would have been 3.5 and 1.5. We also took them to Disney for a day in Jan 2016. Both of them still talk about swimming under the big tower (pool at Paris), tournament of kings and circus circus. Neither one of them remember a thing about disney.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
March 20th, 2017 at 1:55:26 PM permalink

Thanks for the thoughts.
It is weird, we took our kids there in Oct 2015 so they would have been 3.5 and 1.5. We also took them to Disney for a day in Jan 2016. Both of them still talk about swimming under the big tower (pool at Paris), tournament of kings and circus circus. Neither one of them remember a thing about disney.

That's funny. But not unusual. Do you have pictures around the house of kids at these attractions? They may be subconsciously reinforcing the experiences, keeping them fresh in their minds (especially the younger one).

You might pull out the video camera, and ask the kids what is the very earliest thing they can remember. Do they remember the ride home from the hospital as a newborn? They might. When they are ~13, if you ask them again about the first trip to Vegas, typically, their brains will have moved these files from "active sense" to "a vague impression".

There is a chance your kids possess perfect recall, have immediate, complete access to their memories, and are able to play them forward and backward in their minds like scanning through a DVD. I have met a few individuals with this ability. It is a fascinating gift (and a bit of a curse),

No matter what, I hope you enjoy your family vacation. Sounds like it it going to be a fun adventure!
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 20th, 2017 at 2:47:10 PM permalink

Thanks for the thoughts.

Glad to see someone say 3.5 and 1.5 instead of this "42 month and 18 month" nonsense.

Wait, you let your 1.5 year old swim in the pool at Paris?

Your kids seem smart. They're what, one's five, the other three, and already talking?
GWAE
GWAE
March 20th, 2017 at 3:46:56 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Glad to see someone say 3.5 and 1.5 instead of this "42 month and 18 month" nonsense.

Wait, you let your 1.5 year old swim in the pool at Paris?

Your kids seem smart. They're what, one's five, the other three, and already talking?

I actually typed 1 and 3 but they were closer to 2 and 4 so I threw in the half. A half year is much different at that age than our ages.

Well he didn't swim, he floated while I held him.

They both talk well, the younger turns 3 in 3 weeks. The 3 year old was saying his ABCs at 1.5 which is pretty young but as I read not all uncommon for a 2nd child.
GWAE
GWAE
March 20th, 2017 at 3:49:15 PM permalink

That's funny. But not unusual. Do you have pictures around the house of kids at these attractions? They may be subconsciously reinforcing the experiences, keeping them fresh in their minds (especially the younger one).

You might pull out the video camera, and ask the kids what is the very earliest thing they can remember. Do they remember the ride home from the hospital as a newborn? They might. When they are ~13, if you ask them again about the first trip to Vegas, typically, their brains will have moved these files from "active sense" to "a vague impression".

There is a chance your kids possess perfect recall, have immediate, complete access to their memories, and are able to play them forward and backward in their minds like scanning through a DVD. I have met a few individuals with this ability. It is a fascinating gift (and a bit of a curse),

No matter what, I hope you enjoy your family vacation. Sounds like it it going to be a fun adventure!

There are indeed pictures of both adventures in the house but I would bet the Vegas trip is discussed more often. The older has been to AC 5 times and each time we go to wildwood. He talks about the balls at wildwood often too. Forget the monster truck he rode in or the beach, it is all about the wildwood balls. Google it if you don't know what I am talking about.
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
March 20th, 2017 at 4:17:29 PM permalink
CCSD first graders do Anderson Dairy as a field trip, or at least did several years ago. I was a chaperone for the field trip. It is just a processing plant. They will show you the process, run a couple of movies and give everyone free ice cream at the end.

There is no actual dairy farm on the property. The cows are in Utah and have been for decades. The milk comes in on trucks.

The place is in an awful neighborhood. You definitely do not want to walk there from anywhere.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
March 20th, 2017 at 4:19:23 PM permalink

There are indeed pictures of both adventures in the house but I would bet the Vegas trip is discussed more often. The older has been to AC 5 times and each time we go to wildwood. He talks about the balls at wildwood often too. Forget the monster truck he rode in or the beach, it is all about the wildwood balls. Google it if you don't know what I am talking about.

Hehe.. that's funny. When you can't see out of the window of the monster truck, you might as well be in the family van. The view is the same.

Who doesn't love beach balls? They're colorful and fun... especially when you can balance on them, play hide and seek, and jump off them. Maybe there's a career in Cirque somewhere down the road??
  • Jump to: