Thread Rating:

jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
January 14th, 2020 at 6:30:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Mendoza,

This is a board rated for children to read (in the US we call it PG, not sure you have that rating system). Mierda is not acceptable language in English or Spanish.

Not sure why you changed your post. "Mind your own business" is not out of line in this context, but mierda is. Profanity warning.

I didn't want to hijack the other thread to ask this. Why is a gambling forum concerned with being acceptable for children to read? I would be more worried about a thirteen year old learning to play slots than seeing the f-word.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
January 14th, 2020 at 6:39:51 PM permalink
Advertisers are skittish, and there's many children locked in back rooms with Neilsen TV's.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
AZDuffman
January 14th, 2020 at 6:56:53 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

I didn't want to hijack the other thread to ask this. Why is a gambling forum concerned with being acceptable for children to read? I would be more worried about a thirteen year old learning to play slots than seeing the f-word.

Simple minds swear, I think we want a more educated and eloquent crowd here.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
jmills
jmills
January 14th, 2020 at 8:18:12 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I suppose, although I don't think education and eloquence are necessarily at odds with cursing. It just seems strange that a forum about something legally restricted to adults would be concerned about being a safe space for children.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
DRich
January 14th, 2020 at 8:21:48 PM permalink

I suppose, although I don't think education and eloquence are necessarily at odds with cursing. It just seems strange that a forum about something legally restricted to adults would be concerned about being a safe space for children.

Why can’t people just make there points without using foul language ?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 14th, 2020 at 8:27:12 PM permalink
I never remember anyone expressing a desire for this forum to be "a safe place for children." I think its a matter of desiring to have civil discussions rather than something like those twitter threads where the F word is a common adjective, verb and noun. The issue is coarseness and vulgarity. I think the Forum administrator has adopted standards similar to most TV shows and similar to discussions in public forums, i.e., a town meeting for example.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 15th, 2020 at 3:58:34 AM permalink

It is not about being "a safe space for children." It is about composing yourself as an adult. Many examples but I will cite Donnie Brasco, He stated that in all his years undercover not once did he hear a wiseguy get a foul mouth in front of a woman excepting prostitutes. (He used a stronger term.) So here you have all kinds of guys who have done all kinds of things, and of all things foul language in front of women was simply not tolerated at all. Women who used a foul mouth were treated as trash from that point on.

We are not in combat or a bunch of guys alone on an oil rig. Different behavior in different places. In this place the standard is act manly or ladylike.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
January 15th, 2020 at 6:11:11 AM permalink
Maybe it’s me and I’m getting older...I see so many in the 20-30 range using F*** as if it’s an appendage. I’m not talking about high energy situations or anger or ire....but just in normal, everyday conversation, regardless of who is around....ladies, kids. Classless, imo.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
January 15th, 2020 at 6:33:33 AM permalink

To my mind it's not about access by minors and all about courtesy to fellow members and visitors. Remember that non members have read access too.
The PG rating is where management chose to draw the line.
Last edited by: OnceDear on Jan 15, 2020
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 15th, 2020 at 8:00:48 AM permalink
Many of us do perhaps lapse from time to time, but civility and avoidance of gratuitus vulgarity are good goals to have.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
January 15th, 2020 at 8:21:51 AM permalink

Simple minds swear, .......

This is total hogwash.
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
January 15th, 2020 at 8:40:31 AM permalink

I can't argue with the point, but these are different times. And I don't think we're ever going to go return to the "good ol days". I am old enough to remember the days when you would be severely frowned upon to cuss in front of a woman. I can't pinpoint where we got off that track. But I grew up in the card rooms of Los Angeles and somewhere along the way I have become one of the worst violators. Sure, I still have enough sense to know there are people I would never cuss in front of, mainly people of the older generation, yes older than I am. I dunno what to say. Maybe I need my mouth washed out with soap, for real.

A note, I have never been out of the country in my life, but I am of the impression that people in Europe use the f-word like it's nothing. Maybe I'm wrong, but if that's true, I just wonder how that culture developed. Interesting.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 15th, 2020 at 8:41:13 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

This is total hogwash.

Not at all. People swearing usually cannot make their point. Serious people don’t take them seriously.

I can say in my life the more foul the mouth the lower the social class.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 8:52:32 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Not at all. People swearing usually cannot make their point. Serious people don’t take them seriously.

Stopped at a red light the guy next to me has his window down and radio blasting f-words for everyone to hear. Different times, AZD. I dunno what to say. Everything is so different than it was even 30 years ago.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2020 at 9:40:09 AM permalink

That is my experience also.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 15th, 2020 at 10:37:06 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Stopped at a red light the guy next to me has his window down and radio blasting f-words for everyone to hear. Different times, AZD. I dunno what to say. Everything is so different than it was even 30 years ago.

Way back when Dice Clay was big my brother knew a kid got a ticket for blasting the profanity. Cop actually put an example word on the citation.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 15th, 2020 at 10:55:43 AM permalink

Way back when Dice Clay was big my brother knew a kid got a ticket for blasting the profanity. Cop actually put an example word on the citation.

So then your brother switched to blaring NWA and pulled out a copy of the bill of rights?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
AcesAndEights
January 15th, 2020 at 10:59:06 AM permalink
Of interest: https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 11:03:57 AM permalink
I can't help think Joe Pesci while reading this thread. lol
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
January 15th, 2020 at 11:11:42 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Of interest: https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

Excellent post.

Nothing worse than making cause/effect declarations based on one's remembered/biased personal experiences. If I say, based on my personal experiences, that "complex minds use profanity" or "people using profanity are best able to make their points," why should that be taken any less seriously than the opposite? I'm offering no real data or information. I'm just declaring for no good reason.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
January 15th, 2020 at 11:12:51 AM permalink
I believe the Wizard said his father swore a lot and Mike said he didn’t like it. I don’t recall whether he said his father was dumb, and other comments here.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Hullabaloo
January 15th, 2020 at 11:19:33 AM permalink
I think it probably comes down to how often someone swears. I would guess the less often someone swears is strongley correlated to intelligence. I know many smart people who occassionaly swear, but I can't think of anyone that I know that swears a lot that I would consider intelligent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 15th, 2020 at 11:51:07 AM permalink

Coming to this discussion after a surprising 3 pages, but addressing the OP.

Mendoza appears to be writing from a foreign country, where English is not his first language, and our movie rating system referenced in the forum rules may be a meaningless definition.

I was trying to give him a more universal standard to apply by mentioning children. Not suggesting everyone write to a child's standard or that they have access. Just a point of reference for his own posts that may or may not be helpful. It's my impression that children are not encouraged to use strong swear words in most cultures, but I could be wrong.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
January 15th, 2020 at 11:54:01 AM permalink

Stupid <redacted> scientists don't know what the <redacted> they're talking about. They should just shut the <redacted> up.

I used to think those who are frequent swearers were less intelligent, and while to some degree I still think that may be true and there are plenty of people who fit that description, but there are also plenty that don't as well. I've got a friend who is a retired university professor who constantly swears. He's certainly far from being feeble minded. Another friend that's in city government is the same way, but only when he's around people he knows that won't be too bothered by it.

In today's world people tend to dump everyone in to the same bracket when that is rarely the actual case.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 15th, 2020 at 12:27:36 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I believe the Wizard said his father swore a lot and Mike said he didn’t like it. I don’t recall whether he said his father was dumb, and other comments here.

I recall several references to the RV Salesman, and comments that the commercial reminded Wiz of his father.

I also recall some of my questions to Wiz being kicked up to his dad, as my questions were physics based and his dad was a rocket scientist.

Bless their hearts
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
Thanked by
bobbartopJoemanbeachbumbabs
January 15th, 2020 at 12:49:23 PM permalink
I spent several years as ships company in the US Navy, before the fleet was integrated. Profanity was an art form. New, innovative, and extreme applications were appreciated.

That said, profanity was limited to appropriate times and places. Sometimes sailors being sailors ran afoul of that standard. On returning from my first sea tour and visiting my family, my mother chastised me at the supper table saying, “no adjectives are necessary when asking for the butter to be passed.” She was right, and I was embarrassed.

I think excluding profanity elevates something from the ordinary. I appreciate that is the case here.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 15th, 2020 at 1:08:25 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

So then your brother switched to blaring NWA and pulled out a copy of the bill of rights?

Friend of my brother. Not my brother. Neither of us much cared for Clay. Profanity for the sake of profanity is funny when you are like 11 years old. Then you turn 12 not so much.
jmills
jmills
January 15th, 2020 at 7:52:55 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Coming to this discussion after a surprising 3 pages, but addressing the OP.

Mendoza appears to be writing from a foreign country, where English is not his first language, and our movie rating system referenced in the forum rules may be a meaningless definition.

I was trying to give him a more universal standard to apply by mentioning children. Not suggesting everyone write to a child's standard or that they have access. Just a point of reference for his own posts that may or may not be helpful. It's my impression that children are not encouraged to use strong swear words in most cultures, but I could be wrong.

Thanks, that makes sense. It does seem like this board more than most I've belonged to has some warm tempers, so maybe it's a necessary rule here.

Not to add fuel to the controversy of this thread, but I think that someone with a Pinochet avatar needs to pause before calling out someone else's political or controversial avatar.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
January 16th, 2020 at 2:20:55 AM permalink
Obviously this is an adult forum with most discussion being on gambling or vegas attractions (most adult in nature, drinking, clubs, smoking, etc...)

However, swear words are just not classy. If you slip them into a sentance when talking without intention, that is one thing (I am sure everyone is guilty of that on occasion).

But, if you take the time to type one out, it was posted intentionally. Nobody naturally types a swear word into a post, it's not like speaking where you can have a slip up without even realizing what you said.

Unless you are a novelist, who writes vulgar based characters regularly (and even that is a stretch), I can't imagine anyone unintentionally typing a swear word.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 19th, 2020 at 8:05:24 AM permalink
Discussion of avatar content has been split off to here:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/34199-avatar-content-split/#post754559
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
January 19th, 2020 at 1:01:04 PM permalink

I remember this study when it came out. The article unJon links to, however, seems to suggest that all people swear about the same but that intelligent people simply swear in a more appropriate and articulate manner. For example, consider Rhett Butler's famous line of "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." (It was somewhat controversial in 1939.) You could water down "damn" into "darn" but this would lower the emotional intensity far too much for such a critical scene. On the other hand, if you crank up the intensity by using the s-word, it becomes a distracting overkill of vulgarity. So "damn" is selected as the perfect word for the situation.

I'm unsure of the (site) legalities for posting this, but it reminds of the comedy sequence "Shoot" by George Carlin in which he discusses the uses of the s-word beginning with how he was fired in Vegas for saying it.

The article also discusses how the use of swear words while experiencing physical pain (such as women during childbirth) actually reduces the amount of pain felt. The mysteries of the human mind.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
rxwine
rxwine
January 19th, 2020 at 1:08:34 PM permalink
So you can watch simulated violence or even real, but can't tolerate swear words?

Explain if this applies to you. Addressed to anyone.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
Thanked by
AZDuffmangordonm888DeMangoCalder
January 19th, 2020 at 4:55:08 PM permalink

So you can watch simulated violence or even real, but can't tolerate swear words?

Explain if this applies to you. Addressed to anyone.

I am fine reading books, watching violent movies (as long as it is not just senseless violence -IE just over the top violence for shock or morbid factors-). I am also fine with swear words in books and movies.

However, when you are speaking directly and use swear words for just everyday use, it is just not classy.
Its like I bet if you worked somewhere and one of your coworkers mixed swear words into every sentence, you would have a lower opinion of them.

For example if I am watching a historic war movie filled with violence and swearing, that is understandable. But, if I then walk into my office and somebody is swearing constantly, it would lower my opinion of them.

It is all about context. There is no reason to swear on a message board because it just is not classy, it means you spent extra time typing out a needless word just to make a point more resonating (which is usually done in a way to insult somebody, either directly or indirectly).

Again its all about context, if we were playing poker and you said a swear word after a cooler, I would think "well that is a natural reaction", but if you were sitting at the table swearing in every casual sentence, I would think, "this person needs to learn manners"....

Context and usage is everything. There is almost no proper context to use a swear word on a message board, and nobody should experience a natural reaction that would cause them to type out a swear word without realizing it.....
rxwine
rxwine
January 19th, 2020 at 11:54:27 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Context and usage is everything. There is almost no proper context to use a swear word on a message board...

That last sentence is funny to me. There's been plenty of times swear words were the only words strong enough to convey the message the recipient should hear in order to get the exact context. No substitutes would do.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 20th, 2020 at 4:54:30 AM permalink

That last sentence is funny to me. There's been plenty of times swear words were the only words strong enough to convey the message the recipient should hear in order to get the exact context. No substitutes would do.

Then you need to learn more vocabulary and sentence structure. It is hard to believe a person cannot get their point across on a forum without cussing.
rxwine
rxwine
January 20th, 2020 at 5:19:58 AM permalink

Then you need to learn more vocabulary and sentence structure. It is hard to believe a person cannot get their point across on a forum without cussing.

And you might want to contribute less and listen more.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
TigerWu
January 20th, 2020 at 5:33:09 AM permalink
Since you apparently weren't able to find a non-offensive avatar to say what you wanted to say, I don't think you need to be giving me advice on learning. We're both in the same boat.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
DeMango
January 20th, 2020 at 6:16:41 AM permalink

Since you apparently weren't able to find a non-offensive avatar to say what you wanted to say, I don't think you need to be giving me advice on learning. We're both in the same boat.

Please keep avatar discussions in the thread split made for them.

Thank you.
  • Jump to: