Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
July 28th, 2020 at 1:47:16 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I'm pretty sure that they can edit/remove any non-mod posts. I'd imagine they could suspend accounts as well.

They could also Edit/Remove the posts of other Mods, but they wouldn't be Secret Mods for very much longer if they did that.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
July 28th, 2020 at 1:48:14 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

My understanding has always been that they are there to help clean up spam posts, but otherwise donít want to be identified as a mod.

To narrow it down, I took a few screenshots a year or two ago when I noticed some spam posts getting nuked, yet no mods were online. I think I know who one is, but didnít really bother investigating much.

If it was mostly Spam threads disappearing, it was probably me.

ADDED: I'm not really a, 'Secret Mod,' though because I freely admit that I have the ability to edit/delete posts. But, that's the only thing I do aside from banning spammers. You could straight cuss someone out and I would take no action and also not PM a Moderator about it because it is none of my business or concern. I also can edit articles, which most other mods could not do...and that's even if they knew WHERE you go to do that...which they probably don't. There was no easy way to strip me of the ability to edit/delete posts without also stripping me of the ability to edit articles. But, there are some things that Greenies can do (seeing IP addresses is one example) that I can no longer do.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 16
August 1st, 2020 at 11:11:23 AM permalink

Who is serin2 ? Is this from long ago or from the last four months.

He seemed polite enough but did seem to know his way around the forum too well.
Last edited by: MDawg on Aug 1, 2020
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 44
August 1st, 2020 at 12:26:36 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Who is serin2 ? Is this from long ago or from the last four months.

He seemed polite enough but did seem to know his way around the forum too well.

You might know him better as serin. Booted for joining and immediately dissing the moderation here. I suspected he was a sock even then. There are others in my cross hairs with similar characteristics.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 31
August 1st, 2020 at 12:48:40 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

What does a secret moderator do? Just alert a non-secret moderator when there is a problem? I mean, that's kind of bogus, isn't it?

I think I have asked this same question when this was brought up before.

I donít see the point because all posts are public.

I guess maybe secret mods can "sting" people trying to sell some kind of system or player card via PM? But even that is a stretch....
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 171
August 1st, 2020 at 1:08:21 PM permalink
I don't have a problem with secret mods, and I enjoy Missions posts, but when someone resigns as a mod after a very public discussion and is made a secret moderator, the whole process stinks.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:24:04 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I don't have a problem with secret mods, and I enjoy Missions posts, but when someone resigns as a mod after a very public discussion and is made a secret moderator, the whole process stinks.

I mentioned in the thread where I resigned that I'd still have edit privileges, I'm pretty sure.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 44
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:25:54 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

... when someone resigns as a mod after a very public discussion and is made a secret moderator, the whole process stinks.

It would, but that hasn't happened!
As mission has explained, he retains certain mod powers because it's technically difficult to remove them while he retains the powers to create and edit articles, something that he did/does on a paid basis.
I'm not aware of Mission using any moderator priv's since he resigned that roll. I've not even known him to PM any other mod with concerns about any post or member.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:34:52 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

It would, but that hasn't happened!
As mission has explained, he retains certain mod powers because it's technically difficult to remove them while he retains the powers to create and edit articles, something that he did/does on a paid basis.
I'm not aware of Mission using any moderator priv's since he resigned that roll. I've not even known him to PM any other mod with concerns about any post or member.

That's correct, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it more than once before. The only Moderator privilege I use is that I delete blatant spam and ban the spammer simply because there is no reason to let Spam stay up. I sometimes don't even do that because I don't notice it all, due to not reading every thread.

But, if there are six threads on the Recent Threads list all created by the same new user and they are all Spamming, I should hope that nobody would take exception to my deleting those. Honestly, if it was just one and the thread title didn't interest me, I probably wouldn't notice it.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 1:37:51 PM permalink
Another thing, which some people might consider obvious: Were I a Secret Administrator, I would not post that I have moderation abilities.

• Jump to: