Poll

5 votes (20.83%)
19 votes (79.16%)

24 members have voted

Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
March 30th, 2014 at 7:11:53 AM permalink
Should there be a new discussion each month?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 30th, 2014 at 7:24:17 AM permalink
I think that maybe it should be quarterly, having re-thought that. I should hope that there are not enough Suspensions in any given month for each month to warrant its own thread.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 30th, 2014 at 7:34:50 AM permalink
Obviously, this poll is worthless. There is only one choice involving the subject matter.

This thread is an insult to the board.

I'll watch to see if it turns into a train wreck!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 30th, 2014 at 7:36:29 AM permalink
I believe that, "I'm a bigot," is either reflective of a "No," vote, or of the OP's opinion that this is a good idea. However, the first vote was for "I'm a bigot," and I assume that the OP was first to vote, which would lead me to the conclusion that the OP does not find it to be a good idea.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
RonC
RonC
March 30th, 2014 at 7:39:21 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I believe that, "I'm a bigot," is either reflective of a "No," vote, or of the OP's opinion that this is a good idea. However, the first vote was for "I'm a bigot," and I assume that the OP was first to vote, which would lead me to the conclusion that the OP does not find it to be a good idea.

Fair enough, but "I'm a bigot" in other threads represents mostly "I don't care"...

I stick with my conclusion--this is not a good way to discuss this. of course, the Wizard has the ultimate decision and is not bound by any vote of the folks.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 30th, 2014 at 8:03:41 AM permalink
I though this was a dictatorship. Do dictators discuss policies with the hoi polloi?

I'd like to see the suspension list removed and replaced with one of only current suspensions. I don't need to know that Chuck was banned on 11/13/2010. That list looks to me like a trophy on someones wall and I don't see it as a positive part of the forum. Does anyone believe that it acts as a deterrent? What about a member who was suspended long ago but has now "gone straight"? Should he or she suffer the indignity of remaining on the list for life?

With the exception of spammers, I'd like to see suspensions of substantial length reviewed by the full panel, that is the three moderators, and then sent to the Wizard for the final determination. I realize that the moderators serve to make the Wizard's job easier by not involving him in some of the daily grind but this shouldn't be a burden. Although it is happening more often it still doesn't happen that often.

I think most of us would agree that if this was the process, rather than just suspending a member at the snap of a finger on one person's say, there would be no need for discussion. How could anyone not respect that? If you don't then as we often hear - there's the door.

People aren't going to want to join if they think they may be suspended for some trivial matter but, on the other hand, they're not going to want to join if they may be subject to unchecked insults.

There is a happy medium somewhere. Good luck finding it.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 30th, 2014 at 8:29:18 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Obviously, this poll is worthless. There is only one choice involving the subject matter

therefore we need a new thread entitled "Discussion about the Discussion about the NEW Discussion about the Suspension List" so that we can vote properly. You can put me in the "bigot' column.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
March 30th, 2014 at 8:42:58 AM permalink
Oh man, I've been clicking "I'm a bigot" for the wrong reason all this time.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 30th, 2014 at 8:51:57 AM permalink
The question has a certain amount of "Have yous stopped beating your wife" to it. OTOH, I would not mind the admins being able to shut off the discussions that have gotten long.

That being said, can a thread "be suspended?" IOW, when a thread gets out of hand, could the admins close it for 3/7/30/nuke days to tell the people "hey, please move on to something else while everyone cools off" to avoid what we have had all weekend?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
March 30th, 2014 at 3:45:43 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

"Not a good idea" was the intended interpretation. Nareed argued against it, I thought it was fitting to make it appear as a loaded question, that suggests there is only one acceptable answer. If this is inappropriate, please let me know. However, as RonC contrarily suggests, I do not agree that it is unclear that there are two options, one of them obviously not being it is a good idea. Your interpretation, Mission, is correct. Although I did vote against it, I don't really think it's a matter of high concern, and certainly would not rail against monthly or quarterly threads. We never tried it. The only thing I can do is pre-judge it. I assume everyone voting for bigot, for whatever reason, are doing so because they don't think it is a good idea.

RonC, did you major in marketing, and know something I don't? If I listed another negative option in addition to I'm a bigot, would that somehow be likely to increase the votes favoring the idea?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 30th, 2014 at 4:28:27 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

Nareed argued against it, I thought it was fitting to make it appear as a loaded question, that suggests there is only one acceptable answer.

The question you posted isn't loaded. Suggesting only one answer does not imply only one answer is possible.

Here's a loaded question: "Do you favor improving the board by having a new suspension list thread per month?"

Do you need an explanation?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
March 30th, 2014 at 4:33:53 PM permalink
You know something…I do not even know where the "Suspension List" is located on the site...
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 30th, 2014 at 4:38:28 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

You know something…I do not even know where the "Suspension List" is located on the site...

Look under "Rules"

It's not updated in Recent Threads, because he sole post is only edited. So if you see it's been posted years ago, you've reached the right post.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
March 30th, 2014 at 4:48:59 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The question you posted isn't loaded. Suggesting only one answer does not imply only one answer is possible.

Here's a loaded question: "Do you favor improving the board by having a new suspension list thread per month?"

Do you need an explanation?

You are absolutely correct. It is leading, not loaded. My terminology was incorrect, thank you for catching that.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
March 30th, 2014 at 4:51:19 PM permalink
Has "I'm a bigot" ever won a poll before? Because it is crushing the opposition.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 30th, 2014 at 5:40:27 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

RonC, did you major in marketing, and know something I don't? If I listed another negative option in addition to I'm a bigot, would that somehow be likely to increase the votes favoring the idea?

By asking the question in this way, you're asking people whether they'd rather call the new discussion threads a good idea or call themselves bigots. Bigot is winning by a large margin, which is certainly a telling outcome. But, for example, I haven't voted because I don't want to call myself a Bigot. So, if anything, your methodology is undercounting the population that aligns with the winning side. (FWIW, I don't know what RonC studied, but my studies focused around the non-math aspects of survey design and analysis)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 30th, 2014 at 6:40:56 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

... my studies focused around the non-math aspects of survey design and analysis

Dilbert #1

Dilbert #2
RonC
RonC
March 30th, 2014 at 6:52:15 PM permalink
Studied? I tried not to...too busy having a good time!

Business...
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
March 30th, 2014 at 10:11:24 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

By asking the question in this way, you're asking people whether they'd rather call the new discussion threads a good idea or call themselves bigots. Bigot is winning by a large margin, which is certainly a telling outcome. But, for example, I haven't voted because I don't want to call myself a Bigot. So, if anything, your methodology is undercounting the population that aligns with the winning side. (FWIW, I don't know what RonC studied, but my studies focused around the non-math aspects of survey design and analysis)

I think RonC just bought his ticket for a Runaway Train.
  • Jump to: