• Threads: 64
September 28th, 2012 at 2:38:13 AM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
September 28th, 2012 at 2:41:12 AM permalink
JB, do you have access to check the crontab and see if there's some automated process that's being launched in that time frame? Maybe they're running some kind of MySQL optimization script and they're locking the db for the duration.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
September 28th, 2012 at 3:51:15 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

I use the site a lot between 4 and 5 am eastern time and it goes down almost every day at some point at that time

I am on every day from 0330 hours EDT and beginning around three weeks ago the site is always unavailable starting at or just after 0400 for around 25 - 30 minutes. (a bit hard to pin down the duration exactly).

My thinking is there is a nighly server backup or reboot scheduled at this time.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
September 28th, 2012 at 4:38:49 AM permalink
There are no cron jobs, so it may very well be a backup which the host performs.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:33:32 AM permalink
It's ~7:30 Am Eastern and WoV is slow, anywhere from 10-30 seconds to load a page. DT is nearly instantaneous. I would imagine that DT's database is a lot emptier than WoV, but it still seems like significant lag. I was thinking maybe it was being caused by the Bovada ads, but it looks like you're hosting the banners locally, so that isn't it.
chickenman
chickenman
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:40:40 AM permalink
I have been experiencing same since 0600 today
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:42:23 AM permalink
And now 10 minutes later everything seems to be moving fine, for me anyway.
chickenman
chickenman
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:47:55 AM permalink
And for me. Mysterious...
JB
Administrator
JB
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:55:57 AM permalink
I encountered it as well. Sometimes all of the sites hang for a bit, and sometimes only this one hangs while WoO and DT work fine. My hunch is that it is the database server blocking requests until it can fulfill all of them in the order they were received, but I can't be sure.

I have this grandiose vision of a new version of the forum where everything is beautifully efficient, and it does not rely on a database server because it essentially is a specialized database server, but this has yet to come to fruition because the programming is complex and my work on it has been stalled for some time. I've got over 12,000 lines of code done on it but its completion is still quite a ways away.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:07:28 AM permalink
Not sure how the host works but I've had accounts where the db was on a different server but the catch was that every time you created a new db, it could be placed on any of (I believe) 100's of servers, so I've seen a number of sites with db backends on the same web server run at different speeds because the db servers are shared just like the web servers. Long story short, if yours is set up this way it could be someone else's site causing the slow down if WoV is sharing the db server with them.
JB
Administrator
JB
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:18:41 AM permalink
Nope, everything is all on the same (dedicated) server. The problem might stem from the fact that so many queries are needed to load, in particular, the main forum page:

1) A query to see if you are logged in as a registered user
2) A query to see if you have any new private messages
3) A query for the top threads
4) A query for the top contributors
5) A query for the recent threads
6) A query for the newest members
7) A query for the latest blog posts
8) A query to load each section, and within each section, a query to load its topics
9) A query to see who is online
10) A query to see who has visited the forum since midnight
11) A query to show the forum statistics

In the new version, much of this information is easily and readily available without having to build complex SQL statements to access it. It's still a bit of a pipe dream at this point, but if it ever comes to fruition it should be much faster than what we have now.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 26th, 2013 at 9:28:09 AM permalink
For hours yesterday evening and again this morning, I was unable to access either the WoV or WoO sites. (The Macao and Math Problem sites worked fine.) On the WoV and WoO sites I only got the screen saying there had been an internal error, that it would be recorded, and that I should try again. When I was finally able to get on this site, I saw that other people seem to have been posting throughout the period that I was having the problems. Any idea what was going on?
10DollarBri
10DollarBri
  • Threads: 2
March 26th, 2013 at 9:42:33 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

For hours yesterday evening and again this morning, I was unable to access either the WoV or WoO sites. (The Macao and Math Problem sites worked fine.) On the WoV and WoO sites I only got the screen saying there had been an internal error, that it would be recorded, and that I should try again. When I was finally able to get on this site, I saw that other people seem to have been posting throughout the period that I was having the problems. Any idea what was going on?

I had the same problem Doc.
I know nothing!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 26th, 2013 at 9:51:07 AM permalink
All my sites switched to a new server yesterday, which caused the down time. Nothing I could do about it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
skrbornevrymin
skrbornevrymin
  • Threads: 1
March 26th, 2013 at 10:06:54 AM permalink

Last evening, I could not log on with my apple-based iPad, but I could with my pc-based laptop. Both are working fine now.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 26th, 2013 at 10:17:14 AM permalink
OK. I understand that down times will occur.

It's just that I started having the problem at maybe 5 p.m. Las Vegas time (8 p.m. my time) yesterday, had it continue until I gave up about midnight my time, and still had the problem when I tried this morning about 10 a.m. Finally, about 11:30 a.m. my time (8:30 a.m. Vegas time), I was able to see the site.

When I look at the recent threads lists, it appears that people were accessing the site and making posts throughout the period I was having trouble, and I didn't understand that.

Quote: skrbornevrymin

Last evening, I could not log on with my apple-based iPad, but I could with my pc-based laptop. Both are working fine now.

Would the user's OS or browser type make a difference in whether the site is available? I am using Firefox 19.0.2 on a Mac with OS X 10.6.8.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 26th, 2013 at 10:32:54 AM permalink

Would the user's OS or browser type make a difference in whether the site is available? I am using Firefox 19.0.2 on a Mac with OS X 10.6.8.

I switched browsers to try to access yesterday, and it didn't make any difference.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
March 26th, 2013 at 11:34:37 AM permalink
i was able to log in and post with my android phone, but not with my mac. guessing it had something to do with DNS refreshing
  • Jump to: