Thread Rating:

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
January 10th, 2015 at 6:49:52 AM permalink
I was looking at the Wizard of Odds site this morning. It is very clear to me who the Wizard of Odds is but is less clear who owns the website. The page telling the Wizard's great story does not really mention current ownership at all:

https://wizardofodds.com/site/about/

You can find out about it by reading the linked articles but most visitors will pay much more attention to the first paragraph than doing any of that:

"This site was born on June 19, 1997. At first it was titled Mike's Gambling Page. It was a good time to start a web site about gambling, as there were few good ones at the time. With plenty of shelf space, the site quickly became popular and took on a life of its own. Three years later I left my job as a government actuary to dedicate myself full time to the site."

I am very happy that the Wizard was able to turn his time and talent into millions of dollars; I feel he deserves it. I just think that the website should be clear since ownership is not the same as it was before the sale. A casual reader is not going to see that. I also think that the standards for the Wizard's seal of approval should be clear.

I appreciate the Wizard's odds information because it helped me learn which bad bet is best when I decide to gamble. I don't AP, so none of my bets are positive EV; I do know now what the best and worst ones are. I also appreciate him getting paid for doing that...our donations weren't going to make that happen in a big enough way!! I just think it is time to retool some of the content to reflect the whole story.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
January 10th, 2015 at 1:11:00 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Quote: Wizard

You evidently didn't learn your lesson after serving a month for this post,

That was truly funny stuff. I can't believe he got a month for that. I know chickenman was was slightly miffed at the time, but looking back even he should find some humor in that comment.

I think the whole episode was very funny, especially the part that son still doesn't get.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 30th, 2015 at 3:46:43 PM permalink
It is sad that ibeatyouraces has stopped posting and even more sad that he went back and deleted ALL of his former posts. I noticed this a while back but just now thought to post about it.

I understand his reasons (ownership of the board), but I think he overreacted. He dropped a lot of good info on this board in terms of counting and other advantage plays. Oh well, his choice. He didn't ask for a permanent self-suspension like AxiomOfChoice, so maybe he'll come back.

At this point I'm wondering if he went through every one of his 5,969 posts and manually edited them to say "deleted" or if he scripted it. I guess the latter is much more probable.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 30th, 2015 at 3:57:54 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I understand his reasons (ownership of the board),

He had as many good reasons as Axiom did
for resigning. None.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 30th, 2015 at 8:35:10 PM permalink

It is sad that ibeatyouraces has stopped posting and even more sad that he went back and deleted ALL of his former posts. I noticed this a while back but just now thought to post about it.

I understand his reasons (ownership of the board), but I think he overreacted. He dropped a lot of good info on this board in terms of counting and other advantage plays. Oh well, his choice. He didn't ask for a permanent self-suspension like AxiomOfChoice, so maybe he'll come back.

At this point I'm wondering if he went through every one of his 5,969 posts and manually edited them to say "deleted" or if he scripted it. I guess the latter is much more probable.

I think it's a shame as well. He was interesting.

I don't think there's any way other than 1 at a time manual deletion, so I think he did exactly that. I could be wrong.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
January 31st, 2015 at 8:25:26 AM permalink

He was going through a lot of life changes.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 31st, 2015 at 3:44:51 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I don't think there's any way other than 1 at a time manual deletion, so I think he did exactly that. I could be wrong.

Anything is possible :).

I had a script updating my signature on this site, counting down to my next Vegas trip. With perl, an HTTP library, and a little persistence I could write a "post wiper" for this site. I'm guessing IBYA did exactly that, or paid/asked someone else with more programming experience to do it.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
February 12th, 2015 at 8:38:59 PM permalink
Quote: chickenman

That was truly funny stuff. I can't believe he got a month for that. I know chickenman was was slightly miffed at the time, but looking back even he should find some humor in that comment.

I think the whole episode was very funny, especially the part that son still doesn't get.

And what part is especially funny? I got the part where the tone of your post was sniffling, begging the mods to suspend me, so you must be referring to a different part. Since all I read was a sniffling post, I genuinely am lost as to what you think was truly funny. Did you think it funny in hindsight or at the time?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
February 12th, 2015 at 9:28:14 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

And what part is especially funny? I got the part where the tone of your post was sniffling, begging the mods to suspend me, so you must be referring to a different part. Since all I read was a sniffling post, I genuinely am lost as to what you think was truly funny. Did you think it funny in hindsight or at the time?

I think the funny part is where you got suspended for 30 days.

I personally don't think it was funny, oh not at all!

I'm just saying I think that's the part chicken man and/or Axelwolf think are funny.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
February 13th, 2015 at 12:37:39 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Quote: Sonuvabish

I think the funny part is where you got suspended for 30 days.

I personally don't think it was funny, oh not at all!

I'm just saying I think that's the part chicken man and/or Axelwolf think are funny.

I knew I was suspended. What is the "part that son still doesn't get"? There was some boo-hooing and me being suspended, I'm not sure what I missed.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 23rd, 2015 at 8:53:58 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

I was looking at the Wizard of Odds site this morning. It is very clear to me who the Wizard of Odds is but is less clear who owns the website. The page telling the Wizard's great story does not really mention current ownership at all:

https://wizardofodds.com/site/about/

...I just think that the website should be clear since ownership is not the same as it was before the sale.

The referenced inaccuracy in the "About" section still states: "The owner and primary writer for the site is Michael Shackleford..."

Just sayin'.
"What, me worry?"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 23rd, 2015 at 9:00:01 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

The referenced inaccuracy in the "About" section still states: "The owner and primary writer for the site is Michael Shackleford..."

Just sayin'.

Copyright info on the bottom of every page is most likely wrong as well, the copyright is no longer Michael Shackleford's. It was sold for millions of dollars...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
April 29th, 2015 at 6:06:27 AM permalink
The glory that was Rome died, and faded into history....and the world got stuck with the durn Italians ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
June 19th, 2015 at 9:46:37 AM permalink
While perusing the list of members who have visited the forum today I noticed that we have a new name in green. I assume that it is another talented member of the LCB staff and I'm very pleased to see this positive move.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
June 19th, 2015 at 2:26:47 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

While perusing the list of members who have visited the forum today I noticed that we have a new name in green. I assume that it is another talented member of the LCB staff and I'm very pleased to see this positive move.

Two new names, I think.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
June 19th, 2015 at 2:31:43 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Two new names, I think.

I saw two I didn't recognize but I believe one was a member for a while with no posts/no threads. The other was brand new with no posts/threads.

Interesting...
1BB
1BB
September 19th, 2015 at 3:46:08 AM permalink
Happy Anniversary to the LCB Network, Mr. Chan, Zuga and the entire LCB staff. Though I don't know the exact date of the sale, it was announced one year ago today. This thread was also started on that day. You received a tepid welcome from the naysayers back then and always handled it in a dignified manner. Here it is a year later. The sky is not falling, no one got their information stolen and we're still posting. Life is good. Congratulations and continued success.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 638
September 19th, 2015 at 6:49:31 AM permalink

Happy Anniversary to the LCB Network, Mr. Chan, Zuga and the entire LCB staff. Though I don't know the exact date of the sale, it was announced one year ago today. This thread was also started on that day. You received a tepid welcome from the naysayers back then and always handled it in a dignified manner. Here it is a year later. The sky is not falling, no one got their information stolen and we're still posting. Life is good. Congratulations and continued success.

I wonder how much of their $2.4M they made back so far? :)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
1BB
1BB
September 19th, 2015 at 10:45:20 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

I wonder how much of their $2.4M they made back so far? :)

I'd bet they're doing fine but I'm not a betting man. :-)
MrV
MrV
September 19th, 2015 at 11:20:34 AM permalink
I wonder whether the terms of sale were cash out or conditional payout over time.

Whatever, it's none of our business.
"What, me worry?"
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 50
September 21st, 2015 at 6:38:06 AM permalink

thanks 1BB :)

yeah the last year went by so fast and a lot of things hppened in the mean time, including the new upgraded WoV look.

we knew some membership would be against the sale and us the new owners as well as the new design. And i totally get it.. when you are passionate about something, or simply used to things and comfort zone that goes with it..

Some ppl don't like changes but we had to do what we thought was best for the site and what was obviously based on our business model. At the same time the goal was to keep the structure of the WoV and Woo and not change what was already a success.

And reflecting on the past year I think we did a god job in joining what some thought were two different worlds.
sure we did lose some long standing members that disliked the change, but hey i think its their loss.

anyways we will keep on improving things and at the same time we will always be open to feedback from you guys.

cheers
Zuga
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
September 21st, 2015 at 8:20:21 AM permalink
One way to improve things is to have a website for phones and mobile applications and another website for desktops and traditional screens.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
September 21st, 2015 at 8:30:06 AM permalink
Quote: Zuga

thanks 1BB :)

yeah the last year went by so fast and a lot of things hppened in the mean time, including the new upgraded WoV look.

we knew some membership would be against the sale and us the new owners as well as the new design. And i totally get it.. when you are passionate about something, or simply used to things and comfort zone that goes with it..

Some ppl don't like changes but we had to do what we thought was best for the site and what was obviously based on our business model. At the same time the goal was to keep the structure of the WoV and Woo and not change what was already a success.

And reflecting on the past year I think we did a god job in joining what some thought were two different worlds.
sure we did lose some long standing members that disliked the change, but hey i think its their loss.

anyways we will keep on improving things and at the same time we will always be open to feedback from you guys.

cheers
Zuga

Hi Zuga,

I'm one of the people who in the beginning didn't like the format change to this website. But I became comfortable with it in short order.

Since you mentioned in your post that you're open to feedback it would be nice if one could use thumb and forefinger to enlarge content. This would make it easier to edit posts on an iPhone which I use. It would also make it easier if one is trying to go to a certain page in a thread as the page number is so small.

But my main reason for this post to congratulate you on this one-year anniversary.
I only know you through some of the posts you have made which I have read and you've made a favorable impression.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
September 21st, 2015 at 9:33:38 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Hi Zuga,

I'm one of the people who in the beginning didn't like the format change to this website. But I became comfortable with it in short order.

Since you mentioned in your post that you're open to feedback it would be nice if one could use thumb and forefinger to enlarge content. This would make it easier to edit posts on an iPhone which I use. It would also make it easier if one is trying to go to a certain page in a thread as the page number is so small.

But my main reason for this post to congratulate you on this one-year anniversary.
I only know you through some of the posts you have made which I have read and you've made a favorable impression.

That's what I meant to say, an hour or two ago when I thought about what to say.
GJ got it just right for me.
How in the hell did you manage to keep me from being able to expand my view on an IPad anyway ;-)
Don't get Apple mad at you, a whole different league than Buzzard ;-)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 21st, 2015 at 3:47:50 PM permalink
I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know the details, but I'm able to use touch-pad sizing on this site with my laptop, Android tablet, and Android smartphone. Are you sure it's the site?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 21st, 2015 at 5:13:29 PM permalink
Bbb, I have a Samsung s5 and are unable to enlarge as well.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
September 21st, 2015 at 5:51:47 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Bbb, I have a Samsung s5 and are unable to enlarge as well.

I don't have a Samsung anything, perhaps I should...
I usually access this site thru my IPad, sitting on my butt on one of my couches.
And I cannot 'expand the view' as GJ explained.
GJ is one of my 'heroes', and I don't have many.

The Feathered One
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 21st, 2015 at 8:18:06 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know the details, but I'm able to use touch-pad sizing on this site with my laptop, Android tablet, and Android smartphone. Are you sure it's the site?

First of all, definite congratulations to all involved!!!

Obviously, I had my concerns when the new ownership was announced, but I kept those to myself given that I am essentially one of the site's representatives. Inwardly, though, I did remain optimistic about what the site could become while keeping those portions that already worked well, and I'd say the ownership team has far exceeded even what I had hoped for. They're also terrific people to work for as both an Admin and a content writer.

I will say that I have a Nexus 5 or 6, whatever the second to most recent one is, and cannot drag expand.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
September 21st, 2015 at 11:19:01 PM permalink
Okay, I have Android based mobile devices coming out the wazoo, so this discussion gave me an excuse to reach into that wazoo to try the pinchy zoomy thing. Tried my beloved Google Nexus version of the Samsung S4 cell phone, navigated here, and trying to resize the page was a no-go. Then dusted off my clunky Samsung Galaxy Tab3, and also nothing doing. Then on the spiffy Google Nexus 7 tablet, again the size of this page also just is what it is and the view could not be changed. And now with that little bit of mild exercise out of the way, the Galaxy can go back to the bottom of the wazoo for another six months.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
September 23rd, 2015 at 7:07:02 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

One way to improve things is to have a website for phones and mobile applications and another website for desktops and traditional screens.

Unfortunately thats a no go. We opted for the responsive design instead of having a mobile app.

Quote: Greasyjohn

Hi Zuga,

First off thanks for the kind words. As to your question, We are currently looking into introducing the ability to enlarge the content. I dont have the ETA, as we need to do some testing. But stay tuned .

cheers
Zuga
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
September 23rd, 2015 at 11:29:39 AM permalink
The reason zooming doesn't work is that it's explicitly turned off:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no">

It's that "user-scalable=no" that turns it off. All you have to do is remove that, and then pinch-zoom will work.

I don't no why anyone would turn off pinch-zoom.
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
September 23rd, 2015 at 1:56:17 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no">

It's that "user-scalable=no" that turns it off. All you have to do is remove that, and then pinch-zoom will work.

Yes tahts correct and we know what has to be removed. We just want to test first the behaviour of all pages before we do this.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
September 23rd, 2015 at 6:16:34 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

Now you see, on occasion round here someone gets to the point w/o fiddle fartin around. I like that.
Sorry 1BB, still just +1.
I don't have a plus two.
MrV
MrV
September 23rd, 2015 at 6:43:18 PM permalink
"Zooming?"

What the heck is that?

Man, I must really be behind the times: I talk into my phone and it never talks back.
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: