Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 11th, 2012 at 11:04:03 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

I suspect most of the frequent posters and visitors here
will just start (re-)focusing on the thing
that attracted us to wizard's great websites in the first place...

the game

(you just lost)
;-)

Official Announcement:

Two years, man, thanks for that.

I'm just kidding. I don't play The Game, even though they say you have no choice. In that sense, I guess I do play, but I don't try to avoid losing.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 11th, 2012 at 11:12:32 PM permalink
I had to, because I (obviously) lost when I started thinking about all of the games analyzed on WOO.
for those who do not follow...

The Game is one of the simplest distortions of game logic ever invented;
by which simply thinking about The Game causes one to lose.
Due to the futility and inevitable loss, The Game could be viewed as a statement of the human condition;
that is to say, humankind’s struggle against fundamental laws of nature.
THE GAME results in a double negative scenario where trying to not do something is the catalyst for said event.
THE GAME was invented in 1977 by members of the Cambridge University Science Fiction Society (CUSFS)
who would regularly meet at the Horse and Groom pub (Kings Street, Cambridge, UK) to drink and discuss game theory.

Source: knowyourmeme.com
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 12th, 2012 at 2:20:47 AM permalink
I know this forum has not been "strictly" about gambling in Vegas. Like most conversations, we wander all over the place. I wake up some mornings and find that every single one of the most recently visited threads is related to gambling; other times, not so much. It isn't surprising that the topic coming to the top of the heap these days is the Presidential race--but there is also talk of gambling on the race as part of the conversation.

HB's thread is about a bet and a lot more...and it is something taking place in Vegas.

I like the forum the way it is. There is lots of gambling information about Vegas available. I have learned a lot from that info and I enjoy hearing about Vegas.

Good luck with the new venture. I think we are just fine here but I respect your decision to go in a new direction.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
October 12th, 2012 at 6:06:01 PM permalink
I joined this forum only to talk about and learn about gambling. I remember being very surprised that all of the sudden I saw so many topics about religion, even one about transubstantation - none of which I started. It seemed like there was genuine intrest that has since died down and has maybe frustrated some forum members because it has been clearly shown that there is a God and atheism make no sense:)

That being said I do think that there may be too much junk on this forum and a new more general forum for topics other than gambling is a good idea. On this new site I don't think blocking threads is a good idea. I don't like the idea of blocking things in general. On a forum that seems like it is being set up for good discussion I would hope that everyone keeps open all the threads and is willing to explore issues they don't usually look at, especially religious discussions which we all like to hide from. Remember that whether there is a God or not is the most important question we can ask in our lives - it changes everything. No matter what side you are on it is only helpful to not block out information about this fundamental question.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 12th, 2012 at 6:14:28 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Remember that whether there is a God or not is the most important question we can ask in our lives - it changes everything. .

Oh horse pucky. Its a well known fact that if a
person decides there is a god, and doesn't join
some cult religion like Christianity or Mormonism,
there's a 90% chance he'll go back to his old ways.
He needs the constant input of people who believe
like he does or it just won't stick. Its not god
working, its people working.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FrGamble
FrGamble
October 12th, 2012 at 6:20:46 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

That is horse pucky!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 12th, 2012 at 6:26:42 PM permalink

... it has been clearly shown that there is a God and atheism make no sense:)

I must have blocked that thread... ;)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 12th, 2012 at 6:32:58 PM permalink

That being said I do think that there may be too much junk on this forum and a new more general forum for topics other than gambling is a good idea.

Sounds like you need a New Coke for your Edsel....

Quote:

On this new site I don't think blocking threads is a good idea.

Blocking threads and users is necessary only when there are people using the forums. Otherwise, no.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 12th, 2012 at 6:38:47 PM permalink

That is horse pucky!

So if you make a convert, you don't follow up
and make sure he goes to church regularly so
he can get the whole brain washing?

Sure you do, its your job.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FrGamble
FrGamble
October 12th, 2012 at 7:28:47 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It is people like us who are derailing a very important thread with religious arguments that have caused the Wizard to have to make a new site. I'm going to try to respond to you on this post in the "Celebrate Religion Here" thread, please follow me there.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 12th, 2012 at 9:59:10 PM permalink

On this new site I don't think blocking threads is a good idea. I don't like the idea of blocking things in general. On a forum that seems like it is being set up for good discussion I would hope that everyone keeps open all the threads and is willing to explore issues they don't usually look at, especially religious discussions which we all like to hide from. Remember that whether there is a God or not is the most important question we can ask in our lives - it changes everything. No matter what side you are on it is only helpful to not block out information about this fundamental question.

I think you are a little too worried about closed minds, Padre. People block threads for a number of reasons. But mostly it is to whittle down the things they may not be interested in, or reduce the temptation to get into a discussion they would rather avoid. For example, if there was a discussion about the NBA I will block it because I simply do not care about it, and having it on my screen just clogs things up. I would wager most blocks are for similar reasons.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 13th, 2012 at 4:50:33 AM permalink
I concur with AZDuffman. Message Boards are all about signal:noise ratio, so I find it prudent to give Members the ability to manage the ratio to something that they find more favorable. It's all about ease of use, so I don't think they would tend to block threads that they would otherwise be reading anyway.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
October 13th, 2012 at 7:08:06 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quality is more important that quantity of posts.

Maybe this idea will be a flop, like a pizza restaurant on the other side of town. However, I bet at sometime the founder of Pizza Hut or Dominoes faced such a decision, and took the chance. My philosophy in business has always been to not be afraid to take a risk, and expect some of them to succeed and some to fail. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

You wont flop, take the risk and focus on REVENUE. The WOV & WOO sites are fantastic and I have always appreciated the variety and quality of the opinions. I proposed a poll once about sharing demographic info with you (I saw that you at one time posted them for your WOO site). It seemed most were against sharing info but "if you don't ask you don't get" and info about subscriber income, education and interests would hopefully give you some leverage with advertisers/sponsors. I realize you have a sponsor but I have found it curious your sites don't leverage common revenue opportunities - bookstore, supplies, premium membership,donations,etc. I respect you more that you haven't...but will respect you even more if you have been building for a bigger payoff.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
  • Jump to: