Thread Rating:

Poll

1 vote (7.69%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (38.46%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (7.69%)
8 votes (61.53%)

13 members have voted

777
777
Joined: Oct 7, 2015
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 707
December 6th, 2018 at 8:17:07 AM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

Many casinos, mine included, do not have CSMs on property. I have removed them from each of the last 3 properties where I worked, for one very good reason.

There are many variables that need to line up for a new game to succeed. My "spidey-sense" is tingling on this one. It may be a great success, and I hope it will be. I just am not the one who will take a chance on it.



Would you please give a brief insight to CSM for those who are not familiar with gambling industry -- what is the reason that many casinos don't want CSM on property? Is it about the cost of the CSM itself? Or is it the maintenance & reliability factor of the machine? Or any other reason?
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 390
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
December 6th, 2018 at 3:34:23 PM permalink
Quote: 777

Would you please give a brief insight to CSM for those who are not familiar with gambling industry -- what is the reason that many casinos don't want CSM on property? Is it about the cost of the CSM itself? Or is it the maintenance & reliability factor of the machine? Or any other reason?



My beef with the Continuous Shuffling Machine (CSM) which is not to be confused with the shufflers that are shuffling one shoe while the other is being dealt is the following:

1) Casinos have been told that these machines save time and equal extra hands per hour. I don't think the extra hands that are gained going from a regular shuffling machine to a CSM outweigh the negatives.

2) Players have a negative reaction to these machines. I can go deep into this one, but there are many people who are NOT AP, that still think these machines are bad for the player (I'm thinking of someone on this board....)

3) Here is the kicker: If APs will not play these, all that remain are recreational players. On a CSM machine, the count is ALWAYS zero. That means that the Basic Strategy players are ALWAYS making optimal plays. The house advantage in blackjack comes when people follow basic strategy that is not always correct for their individual situation. CSM removes all these mistakes. You see the same thing happen when casinos restrict doubling to 9-11. There are so many people who make mistakes on soft doubles, that removing them from the game eliminates more casino house edge by not letting the people make their mistakes.

This information is not widely known, and my beliefs are not widely held, but they are my beliefs, and they are backed up with 34 years on the dark side..... YMMV
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 12553
December 6th, 2018 at 5:00:32 PM permalink
A somewhat unique perspective, well said. Thanks.

I'd rather, by a little, hear that you're cheering for the players. The casino edge is built in. That genuinely should be enough to keep the lights on.

The frequency of return visitors, and tips, are NOT built in. So I would think (and if I ever do run a casino, will do this) you would WANT to offer the best possible game for the most players. Winners tip much better than losers. Winners come back again and again and bring their friends. So your people benefit, your customers benefit, and the House trusts the HE will bring their benefit.

And THAT'S the part I wish more casinos and their employees understood. This 6:5 BJ, shaving bonus pay tables, lowering craps odds, all the rest is just killing gaming. Now it's about bottle clubs and name restaurants. It didn't have to go that way.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 259
  • Posts: 13101
December 6th, 2018 at 6:21:34 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs


And THAT'S the part I wish more casinos and their employees understood. This 6:5 BJ, shaving bonus pay tables, lowering craps odds, all the rest is just killing gaming. Now it's about bottle clubs and name restaurants. It didn't have to go that way.


I've often used the phrase 'MBA types' but that encompasses just anyone who focuses on immediate
increases in the bottom line, pleasing Wall Street or bankers, pleasing executives, etc. Benny Binion
realized you have to give the gambler a square deal. A steak, a drink and good game. If you
focus on immediate gains by shrinking the steak, watering the drink and eroding the players
chances, why should he tip your dealers, why should he come back, why should he bring his
friends and eventually bring his kids?
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 390
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
December 7th, 2018 at 11:59:30 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

A somewhat unique perspective, well said. Thanks.

I'd rather, by a little, hear that you're cheering for the players. The casino edge is built in. That genuinely should be enough to keep the lights on.

The frequency of return visitors, and tips, are NOT built in. So I would think (and if I ever do run a casino, will do this) you would WANT to offer the best possible game for the most players. Winners tip much better than losers. Winners come back again and again and bring their friends. So your people benefit, your customers benefit, and the House trusts the HE will bring their benefit.

And THAT'S the part I wish more casinos and their employees understood. This 6:5 BJ, shaving bonus pay tables, lowering craps odds, all the rest is just killing gaming. Now it's about bottle clubs and name restaurants. It didn't have to go that way.



I actually am cheering for the players, almost all the time. My last name is not Wynn or Trump or Caesar. I get paid a salary to ensure the games are fair and that the players enjoy the time they spend with us. If you were to ask any of the players at my casino about me, I would guess the response would be over 95% favorable. And yes, any regular player there knows who I am. I spend a lot of time on the floor interacting, listening for suggestions, and trying to ensure they have a great experience every time, win or lose.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 390
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
December 7th, 2018 at 12:00:59 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I've often used the phrase 'MBA types' but that encompasses just anyone who focuses on immediate
increases in the bottom line, pleasing Wall Street or bankers, pleasing executives, etc. Benny Binion
realized you have to give the gambler a square deal. A steak, a drink and good game. If you
focus on immediate gains by shrinking the steak, watering the drink and eroding the players
chances, why should he tip your dealers, why should he come back, why should he bring his
friends and eventually bring his kids?



Benny Binion is the model of an excellent casino operator. I agree that when the MBA bean counters get involved and make decisions without considering the effect on operations, many times the guest experience is lessened.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1164
  • Posts: 19504
Thanks for this post from:
MrCasinoGames
December 7th, 2018 at 4:15:48 PM permalink
I have added a bunch more Cutting Edge videos to WoO. Here is the latest -- Yo!


Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BRS9FJiSrI
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
SM777
SM777
Joined: Apr 8, 2016
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 615
December 7th, 2018 at 5:27:42 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

My beef with the Continuous Shuffling Machine (CSM) which is not to be confused with the shufflers that are shuffling one shoe while the other is being dealt is the following:

1) Casinos have been told that these machines save time and equal extra hands per hour. I don't think the extra hands that are gained going from a regular shuffling machine to a CSM outweigh the negatives.

2) Players have a negative reaction to these machines. I can go deep into this one, but there are many people who are NOT AP, that still think these machines are bad for the player (I'm thinking of someone on this board....)

3) Here is the kicker: If APs will not play these, all that remain are recreational players. On a CSM machine, the count is ALWAYS zero. That means that the Basic Strategy players are ALWAYS making optimal plays. The house advantage in blackjack comes when people follow basic strategy that is not always correct for their individual situation. CSM removes all these mistakes. You see the same thing happen when casinos restrict doubling to 9-11. There are so many people who make mistakes on soft doubles, that removing them from the game eliminates more casino house edge by not letting the people make their mistakes.

This information is not widely known, and my beliefs are not widely held, but they are my beliefs, and they are backed up with 34 years on the dark side..... YMMV



The percentage of players who have a negative reaction to a CSM is incredibly small. Almost immeasurable it is so small.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 390
December 8th, 2018 at 8:28:26 PM permalink
Quote: SM777

The percentage of players who have a negative reaction to a CSM is incredibly small. Almost immeasurable it is so small.




I disagree. What is your source? Mine is constant daily interaction with Table Games players.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
SM777
SM777
Joined: Apr 8, 2016
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 615
December 8th, 2018 at 8:59:32 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

I disagree. What is your source? Mine is constant daily interaction with Table Games players.



Exactly. My source is your evidence.

At your one casino, seeing the same players day in and day out, all 20 of them that don't like a CSM are a nothing burger in the grand scheme of things.

It is a mathematical fact that on the low end a CSM increases hands per hour by 15%. Multiplied by days, months, and years, it's not in the best interest of any casino not to have them. I'm glad the 20 customers of yours that don't like the CSM have you stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

  • Jump to: