Poll

4 votes (7.27%)
21 votes (38.18%)
6 votes (10.9%)
1 vote (1.81%)
16 votes (29.09%)
5 votes (9.09%)
2 votes (3.63%)

55 members have voted

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
November 22nd, 2011 at 5:46:25 AM permalink
MSS is 20x but has beer and food bargains.
SamsTown is 10x plus weird side bets but food is "average" to "good" depending upon your budget, tastes and inclination to trek elsewhere.
If an air conditioned, fully-stocked Limousine were available, I'd leave SamsTown to get 20x and better food and better beer.
If an air conditioned, fully-stocked Limousine were available, I'd leave MSS to get to a better and quieter room at SamsTown and a better overall chance at slots for my companion.
The trouble is... People who go to SamsTown and most of the people who go to MSS do not have air-conditioned, fully stocked Limousines available to them: its cabs, buses or shuttle combinations.
So the net result would probably be "stay put". Certainly would be for me. However, some people don't mind various "treks" and consider them "adventures". I'd toss a coin if I had to, but I'd stay put whatever the result was.
kp
kp
Joined: Feb 28, 2011
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 422
November 22nd, 2011 at 7:45:24 AM permalink
I used to split my time between The Orleans and MSS. I now stay just a MSS, mostly to avoid the adventure of trekking around.

I like The Orleans because of the many low limit Pai-Gow tables, most of which are low tables where you can put your feet on the floor. Last time I was there they had turned half of their Pai-Gow tables into mini-bac tables. I could not get a seat at Pai-Gow any time of the day or night for my entire 2-3 day stay. Mini-bac had several seats available.

The Orleans is a much bigger casino with more amenities like a pool, food court, and many dining options like Big Al's Oyster Bar. With MSS you have the brewpub and buffet, the cafe and shops on The Cal side of the land bridge, plus all of Fremont Street. With The Orleans you have to catch a shuttle to go anywhere else. With MSS you can walk everywhere downtown, or catch the express down to the strip.

MSS has better VP, although The Orleans has much more VP. I'm a simple 9/6 JoB player, which MSS has in abundance, and The Orleans does not have at all.

The deciding vote for me is the beer. MSS makes very good beer. You can buy it outright for $1.75 all day long at the casino bar, which happens to have 18 VP machines that include my preferred 9/6 JoB, where I drink for free. The Orleans has Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for half of the pit. They have a new micro bar by the cabaret that has a good selection of hoppy beers, but 8/5 JoB to go with it.
dm
dm
Joined: Apr 29, 2010
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 699
November 22nd, 2011 at 8:49:54 AM permalink
Sam's Town without question. Best VP of any Boyd property. Sam's Town actually thinks they are a Station property. Much better
buffet than Orleans, better check-in service, great shuttle service to strip and downtown. Different type of clientele, but I'll take dirtier
over loudmouth any day. The elevator deal is far superior, also. Parking much easier. And you will, in general, spend much less time
"walking." Better offers to their better customers as well.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
November 22nd, 2011 at 10:14:42 AM permalink
The only knock on MSS is the noise. If your room faces the railroad tracks, the Union Pacific will make sure your sleep is interrupted. Parking is also a hassle, as their structure is not connected to the hotel. On the other hand, 20x craps ($5 minimum) and, what I think is dollar for dollar, the best buffet in Las Vegas, still make it my first choice. Tip: Brush up on your Pidgin English and wear an aloha shirt. Boyd may not shuttle you to the Strip, but they will shuttle you from HNL to LAS. The Cal, Fremont and Main Street are filled with folks from Hawaii and their local relatives. A great gambling crowd.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ten2win
ten2win
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 331
November 22nd, 2011 at 3:55:07 PM permalink
This really is a tough choice.

Staying Downtown is so damned convenient. We've stayed at the Fremont about 5 times now, its' older rooms are very small, but clean and convenient for late nights of gambling at ANY of the Downtown casinos. The parking is valet only which makes it really nice. The Paradise buffet is usually a LITTLE above average. They also have a Dunkin Doughnuts for morning coffee now

A quick shot out the side door of the Fremont, behind Binion's, and you're in the back door of the Cal by the Craps pit. A quick ride up the escalator and across the bridge and you're in the MSS craps pit. I mean really, what could be sweeter!

Except for going out the front door of the Fremont and having the 4Queens, Golden Nugget and Binion's right in front of you!

We usually end up taking the free shuttle to Sam's Town from the Fremont or the Cal, which leave every 45 minutes, at least once during our stay. When we get to Sam's, it's like a breath of fresh air!

Newer, cleaner, spacious, great layout. Better VP, nice bingo room, large sports book, bowling, movies, TGIF's. It's a very relaxing atmosphere. I've even switched my home casino to Sam's for my B-Connected card offers. I would like to stay there sometime. It's just so far out on the Boulder Highway. There's also a shuttle from there to Harrah's on the strip I believe. The Cannery is next door but still a hike!

Unfortunately, we stayed at the Golden Nugget on our last visit. Now my wife refuses to stay anywhere else.

I would vote for the Fremont.

Location, location, location
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
November 22nd, 2011 at 4:19:24 PM permalink
Quote: kp

The deciding vote for me is the beer. MSS makes very good beer. You can buy it outright for $1.75 all day long at the casino bar, which happens to have 18 VP machines that include my preferred 9/6 JoB, where I drink for free. The Orleans has Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for half of the pit. They have a new micro bar by the cabaret that has a good selection of hoppy beers, but 8/5 JoB to go with it.



The Orleans has 8/5 Bonus Poker on the bar tops. And 7/5 elsewhere (seemed the wrong way around to me). 8/5 is 99.6% EV, as I recall. They also have Fat Tire on tap most bars, which makes me plenty happy.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
dm
dm
Joined: Apr 29, 2010
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 699
November 22nd, 2011 at 7:11:13 PM permalink
Quote: ten2win

This really is a tough choice.

Staying Downtown is so damned convenient. We've stayed at the Fremont about 5 times now, its' older rooms are very small, but clean and convenient for late nights of gambling at ANY of the Downtown casinos. The parking is valet only which makes it really nice. The Paradise buffet is usually a LITTLE above average. They also have a Dunkin Doughnuts for morning coffee now

A quick shot out the side door of the Fremont, behind Binion's, and you're in the back door of the Cal by the Craps pit. A quick ride up the escalator and across the bridge and you're in the MSS craps pit. I mean really, what could be sweeter!

Except for going out the front door of the Fremont and having the 4Queens, Golden Nugget and Binion's right in front of you!

We usually end up taking the free shuttle to Sam's Town from the Fremont or the Cal, which leave every 45 minutes, at least once during our stay. When we get to Sam's, it's like a breath of fresh air!

Newer, cleaner, spacious, great layout. Better VP, nice bingo room, large sports book, bowling, movies, TGIF's. It's a very relaxing atmosphere. I've even switched my home casino to Sam's for my B-Connected card offers. I would like to stay there sometime. It's just so far out on the Boulder Highway. There's also a shuttle from there to Harrah's on the strip I believe. The Cannery is next door but still a hike!

Unfortunately, we stayed at the Golden Nugget on our last visit. Now my wife refuses to stay anywhere else.

I would vote for the Fremont.

Location, location, location



Everything you said voted for Sams, but you didn't. Just hate the fresh air?
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5522
November 23rd, 2011 at 8:24:25 AM permalink
Well, the people have spoken, and Main Street Station it is. To be honest, I was leaning towards downtown in the first place, but couldn't decide between Cal, Fremont, and MSS. So, glad that the choice has been made for me.

Now, to get on the phone to Tuscany to get them to book the three nights/$25 free play offer that they say I don't have anymore ... I will prevail!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
dm
dm
Joined: Apr 29, 2010
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 699
November 23rd, 2011 at 11:35:12 AM permalink
Maybe so, but if Tuscany will book you for free at their place, what does Boyd have to do with this? Goodbye MSS.
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5522
November 23rd, 2011 at 12:02:03 PM permalink
Quote: dm

Maybe so, but if Tuscany will book you for free at their place, what does Boyd have to do with this? Goodbye MSS.

I was cruelly shot down by Tuscany. They said the host who made me the offer has now been fired, and the offer is rescinded. So, in so many words, f-them.

I was able to book MSS for one weekend and Gold Coast the next, with a 3-nights Harrah's comp (plus poker tourney freeroll!) in between. Will fill out the rest of the days with Wizard reviews. Anyway, I find this stuff interesting.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4

  • Jump to: