AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
May 24th, 2022 at 6:42:30 AM permalink
There is a gambling channel on YouTube that I think is of much more interest than Slotlady. It's John's World of Video Poker.

John says that using free play he had a $180,000 profit on VP last year.

He's one of the savvy Youtubers too because he has a high production value added to his channel with long introductions to the videos which increases his YouTube statistics and probably his revenue.

I also appreciate that he gives the correct holds on the game he says he's an expert at and that is 8/5 Bonus poker.

In this video there's a good example of how he ropes you in for a long time before actual play which must help his viewership stats.

But more importantly starting at about 13 minutes into the video he announces that he's going to try to repeat last year's success by starting small and seeing how big he can get.

Hopefully he'll show us all of his play.

This is interesting to me.

https://youtu.be/gQFuXWdna-Q
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
  • Threads: 20
May 24th, 2022 at 7:18:01 AM permalink
I've also ran into his channel randomly due to association with slotmassacre. I find his uploads so much better than other youtuber (to include slotmassacre) due to everything you have said. It's amazing how he turned such a small amount of freeplay into $180K, and I'm rooting him to repeat it.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 24th, 2022 at 7:29:01 AM permalink
For those who don't know his story...

He claims he started with $15 of free play and in three hours cashed out $109,000 including a $100k royal.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
May 24th, 2022 at 7:56:03 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

He claims he started with $15 of free play and in three hours cashed out $109,000 including a $100k royal.
link to original post

For reference and also for skeptics, please see the youtube clip below and fast forward to 05:18 of the clip where slotmassacre explains the sequence of John hitting $100K from freeplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeBkbUMjt8
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
May 24th, 2022 at 8:27:55 AM permalink
Quote: SiegfriedRoy

link to original post

For reference and also for skeptics, please see the youtube clip below and fast forward to 05:18 of the clip where slotmassacre explains the sequence of John hitting $100K from freeplay.

link to original post

But is that repeatable in a predictable fashion or did he just get lucky?

For reference, in 2013 I took a $75 freebet at tables in Ceasars and ran it up to a few thousand in ten or fifteen minutes at Roulette. (I documented it here on this very forum contemporaneously).

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/trip-reports/18987-caesars-ac-trip-report/

But that was obviously a lucky afternoon and not something to expect to repeat with confidence.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 24th, 2022 at 8:32:47 AM permalink
I'd rather watch a lottery channel where someone tries to repeat the $50,000 scratch-off she won last year.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 24th, 2022 at 8:36:25 AM permalink
Is it repeatable? Yes
Is it likely? No.
Can it happen?
Will it happen? We know that he'd have to get lucky since skill by itself is such a tiny part of video poker.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 24th, 2022 at 8:42:33 AM permalink

Is it repeatable? Yes
Is it likely? No.
Can it happen?
Will it happen? We know that he'd have to get lucky since skill by itself is such a tiny part of video poker.
link to original post

Yep. Guys like Bob Dancer just keep getting lucky every year. That's what separates them from the sheep. It's not the work they put in. It's just they spend more time on the machines so they get luckier.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 24th, 2022 at 9:00:25 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Is it repeatable? Yes
Is it likely? No.
Can it happen?
link to original post

Yep. Guys like Bob Dancer just keep getting lucky every year. That's what separates them from the sheep. It's not the work they put in. It's just they spend more time on the machines so they get luckier.
link to original post

Bob is a member here. Maybe he'll comment.

8/5 Bonus is a -EV game. John will need more than skill to beat the house edge.

And then he'll have to keep winning to total $100k. And he will have to do that using only free play.

Wizard got a formula for that?
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
May 24th, 2022 at 9:24:25 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Quote: SiegfriedRoy

link to original post

link to original post

But is that repeatable in a predictable fashion or did he just get lucky?

For reference, in 2013 I took a $75 freebet at tables in Ceasars and ran it up to a few thousand in ten or fifteen minutes at Roulette. (I documented it here on this very forum contemporaneously).

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/trip-reports/18987-caesars-ac-trip-report/

But that was obviously a lucky afternoon and not something to expect to repeat with confidence.
link to original post

I'm sure he was playing optimally, but I will guess that it was more luck and it was his day for everything to go right for him. He would have had to hit some really lucky hands well in the beginning of his $15 freeplay and then several big hands as he went to higher denomination.

Running $75 freebet to few thousand is also impressive.

My best run was turning $1200 promo chips (Not play till lose, but use once win or lose) at the Palazzo and running hot to turn that into $22K. That was a more satisfying feeling than some of my other higher amount trips where I risked my own money.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
May 24th, 2022 at 11:46:41 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Is it repeatable? Yes
Is it likely? No.
Can it happen?
link to original post

link to original post

Bob Dancer utilized advantage play methods and has mentioned that it's unlikely he could repeat winning a million in a year like he recounted because conditions are different.

Which brings me back to was this guy lucky or playing with an advantage (besides a very minimal startup of $15 freeplay.

It sounds like this guy just got lucky.

I wouldn't bother with someone who got lucky. Might as well read the winning memoirs of lottery winners.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 24th, 2022 at 12:09:26 PM permalink
He does follow proper strategy for 8/5 Bonus. But it takes luck to turn $15 of free play into multiple royals including a $100k royal in 3 hours.

Also I believe it was Dancer's wife who hit the $400,000 royal.

Oh. And John mentioned nothing about taxes on his $180,000+ net win in 2021. He said he spent $160k on his pool and backyard and $20k isnt enough for Fed and Cal taxes.

He is not an AT. (Advantage Taxpayer)
  • Jump to: