LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
March 1st, 2017 at 9:50:06 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I'm not sure how you are getting into the menu during a dealt hand? I think whats happening is that you are deal-drawing really fast. Now you see the re-drawn cards(hand is over) and then you attempt to hold the re-drawn cards and you end up trying to hold a card that happens to line up with the button that takes you to the menu screen.

If that's the case, this could mean you are tossing away all the cards on the deal without holding anything.

AW - I'm not sure who asked the orig question for which you've provided a comment. I think (not 100% sure) it might be LuckyPhow?
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
mamat
mamat
  • Threads: 3
March 2nd, 2017 at 8:19:06 AM permalink
I usually play between 600-1,300 HPH (At 600-700, it's because I'm checking strategies, taking notes, or talking).
More mistakes at 900-1000+ (unseen combination, unheld card, held wrong card, double hold card). Maybe -0.2-0.5% from errors.

I don't usually do penalty cards (-0.2%?), since I'm usually playing VP to show some action (not to make money) when I have a free hotel room.
VP machines vary in speed.

Often I place my left hand on the left 2-3 buttons, and use the right hand to save the rightmost-held card, trying to hold 3-4 cards at once.
I pause on any decent hand (3x or higher) before hitting deal (since sometimes one card doesn't hold).

I'm not a big VP player, and my "long" sessions are only 45 min - 1 hr 30 min.
To do 4 hrs in a day, I might play 3-4 sessions.
Even so, my wrist tendons sometimes cramp (so I often try to push the buttons with a straight wrist).

Sometimes I place a handkerchief underneath my wrists to help with abrasions from the slot machine.

Good luck at your tournament.
Last edited by: mamat on Mar 2, 2017
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
Thanks for this post from:
LostWages
March 2nd, 2017 at 8:45:15 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

...Sometimes a button wont work so you have to use the touch screen for that card.

I'm not sure how you are getting into the menu during a dealt hand? I think whats happening is that you are deal-drawing really fast. ... If that's the case, this could mean you are tossing away all the cards on the deal without holding anything.

Axel,

Not me, Buddy. If this reply was for my benefit, please note I do not play fast. But, if someone was playing fast, I guess that could happen. But, not to me. I'm sloooow. After I decide, before I commit, I review. Just to be sure I'm not overlooking a better choice. I'm probably around 250 HPH (especially using video-screen selections, as that slows me down a lot).

My problem using buttons (vs. the screen options) is that the buttons sometimes mis-fire at unpredictable times because they are broken. I find it hard to believe I am the only VP player who has experienced this. The buttons were never designed to take the pounding they receive from the 1,000 HPH VP players. Result: occasional mis-fire.
LostWages
LostWages
March 2nd, 2017 at 8:55:37 AM permalink
Quote: Mamat

Sometimes I place a handkerchief underneath my wrists to help with abrasions from the slot machine.

Good luck at your tournament.

Mamat,

Hey! Great to hear from you again. I didn't think of it, but when I wake up in the mornings (for the past couple of years), my left & right wrists are a little stiff - so I wear these neat arthritic gloves which look like those gloves the weight lifters use in the gym!

That is a terrific idea, and I will plan on wearing the gloves when I play at the Tournament!

My HPH, using left hand fingers and other techniques seems to match yours, so I must be on the right track!

Awesome!

LW
mamat
mamat
  • Threads: 3
March 2nd, 2017 at 9:29:57 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

My problem using buttons (vs. the screen options) is that the buttons sometimes mis-fire at unpredictable times because they are broken. I find it hard to believe I am the only VP player who has experienced this. The buttons were never designed to take the pounding they receive from the 1,000 HPH VP players. Result: occasional mis-fire.

At 1,000-1,300 HPH, I probably experience a slipped card (button not pressed hard enough to register, slipped button, button pressed twice) about once every 10 min (depends on machine). ...which is why I double-check my cards before hitting draw (if it's a 3x payout, or more). Some machines have REALLY crappy buttons.

Could maybe do 1,400-1,500 HPH without the double-check, but the cost of errors would zoom past -1.0%.
For a tournament, could be a good strategy to only double check Royals and Quads.

Quote: LostWages

Hey! Great to hear from you again. I didn't think of it, but when I wake up in the mornings (for the past couple of years), my left & right wrists are a little stiff - so I wear these neat arthritic gloves which look like those gloves the weight lifters use in the gym!

I wasn't quite accurate in my description. Went downstairs and played 414 hands in 17 min (1200/hr). Lost -$500 on $1s (76% payback). Yuck. So I rewrote the description of what I actually do.

I used to work with people that have "carpal tunnel", so there are lots of things you can do. 360 degree Wrist rolls & right-side-up/upside-down wrist curls with weights help. Wrist stretches (bend wrist 90-100 degrees back if you can do it without pain). Handstands are great (if you can do them).

Sometimes I like to play fast because it cuts the time between Deuces/Aces. 1,200 HPH = 4-5 hrs for Deuces/Aces. 600 HPH = 8-10 hrs.
I'm taking a performance hit for "no penalty cards" and "errors".

I've only hit four royals on heads-up play (and luckily hitting them with <1 royal cycle each), so that's not as much a factor.
For my short sessions, it's a miracle to hit a royal...
LostWages
LostWages
March 2nd, 2017 at 9:59:41 AM permalink
Quote: Mamat

For my short sessions, it's a miracle to hit a royal...

No worries, Mamat! Thanks for the wrist exercise tips!

I fully appreciate that for a VP Tournament, Lady Luck will have a major impact on the 149 players I'll be playing against.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Grandma's 300 HPH gets the RF and my 900 HPH gets a minus 1,000 credits!

Aaaargh!

But I still wanted to just get all the best principles and tricks to use from those with more experience than I have. Here's what I've collected from our fellow posters:

1. Luck will play a major role (but nothing wrong with using the skills I've developed!)
2. Play modified optimum strategy, i.e., keep 4oak, keep 2 RF vs a pair, and more.
3. Use two hands and all the fingers I can get to press buttons
4. Don't wait for machine to add up credits, just go ahead and press "Draw" again
5. For aching hands, wear arthritic gloves (ones that leave finger tips open) and/or a handkerchief for wrist.
6. In a 20 min session with 1500 credits, play as strategically fast that you can.
7. Choose to play late(r), so you can see highest scores posted before you play.
8. Enjoy the moment! (This will be my very first VP Tournament!)

• Jump to: