Thread Rating:

DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
February 16th, 2019 at 3:47:10 AM permalink
FWIW, just one guy's thoughts & recollections about that little.incident about making change I just got to reading, in case it is any use. I had that "sorry Sir, have no change" or "not enough change for all of that" thing happen to me more than several times from a variety of small vendors in some other countries. One day a local friend told me it was known as "a thing" specifically for foreigners, done as a way of tipping oneself, particularly in some areas of their capital city that got a lot of travelers coming through. I found that easy to believe, with what I'd seen about some informal differences in local vs. foreigner pricing practices & the like.

At the time, while agreeing with the above, someone else who I believed to be well informed also suggested that after some big exchange rate movements the small denominations were legitimately in chronic short supply from time to time, because the gov't didn't have much incentive to pay the unfavorable foreign exchange cost of the fancy imported counterfeit-resistant paper stock & stuff to make them with small values.

But that was all not anywhere in South or Central America and it was quite a while ago, in a couple of countries on the other side of the globe. Whatever, none of those experiences of mine are recent, because I took to making a habit of stocking up on small denominations for countries where I expect to do cash transactions because of infrastructure making electronic payments sometimes problematic or unfavorable extra transaction costs or whatever. FWIW.

Appreciating your descriptions of your experiences very much.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 19
February 16th, 2019 at 5:13:31 AM permalink
I try and have small bills and coins on me most of the time. Problem is some days I end up using all the small stuff and Iím stuck with just the big stuff.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
February 23rd, 2019 at 6:35:36 PM permalink
It has been a week, where you @?
Are you back in the CA cold or are you still enjoying the SA summer?
In case you missed it, the Jets beat the crud out of VGK the other night.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
February 23rd, 2019 at 7:38:19 PM permalink
Iím in Aruba, headed back to Colombia in the morning for a couple of days.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 11
Thanks for this post from:
DRich
February 24th, 2019 at 4:42:19 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Iím in Aruba, headed back to Colombia in the morning for a couple of days.

Great trip report! Concise, but full of all the details we need to know. I'd suggest adding at least one picture of bikini clad girl on the beach to make it complete.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
February 24th, 2019 at 4:57:58 AM permalink
Well I have a lot of posts still to come when I get home but no bikini clad girls.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 24th, 2019 at 6:41:15 AM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

... bikini ....

Time for some minor trivia while we wait for PG to get a good internet connection: Why is that style of swimwear known by that name?
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 16
February 24th, 2019 at 6:50:01 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Time for some minor trivia while we wait for PG to get a good internet connection: Why is that style of swimwear known by that name?

Bikini Atoll was the site of early tests of nuclear weapons. The swimsuit was supposed to (figuratively speaking) have the impact of an H-bomb going off
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 66
February 24th, 2019 at 10:22:43 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Well I have a lot of posts still to come when I get home but no bikini clad girls.

This is the first time I have been disappointed in you and your posts. How can you not have at least one beach shot with bikini's?
Living longer does not always infer +EV
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Thanks for this post from:
Chuckleberry
February 24th, 2019 at 12:28:20 PM permalink
I donít want to be the creeper taking pictures of half naked girls, I just want to be the creeper looking at the half naked ladies.

• Jump to: