Poll

2 votes (6.06%)
28 votes (84.84%)
3 votes (9.09%)
No votes (0%)

33 members have voted

Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 79
  • Posts: 865
April 21st, 2020 at 4:46:48 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

It will not be overnight, but eventually chips will be phased out.
It may not be for decades. But, automation will eventually catch up with even casinos.



As soon as we go to a cashless society and go 100% electronic, only then will casino might convert.

So how will table dealers pay out each players winnings? Or will there be a computer that automatically calculates and the dealer does nothing and just collects the cards?
racquet
racquet
Joined: Dec 31, 2014
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 411
April 21st, 2020 at 4:49:00 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

It will not be overnight, but eventually chips will be phased out.
It may not be for decades. But, automation will eventually catch up with even casinos.



What will speed up the demise of chips is the current inability of casinos to accurately track chip betting. So either chips go away or every chip has an embedded RFID chip inside. That way they can more accurately track winners and losers so as to market to... the losers. Well, since we're all losers, to the BIGGER losers, those who are convinced that they are NOT losers.

The cleanliness of chips, like the germ-infested currency that we exchange them for, will not matter, any more than it did six months ago.
c
It is only the need for data that will determine how long chips exist. Maybe it'll be the tax man who demands better accounting, maybe it's the marketing manager at the casino who can best demonstrate targeted promotions to a more select clientele than he can focus on when he's dealing with chipped games.

For card counters, those RFID chips will soon be in the cards that are dealt, or, like chips. real cards will go away as well.

Analog gambling is on the decline, but not because of pandemics. It's all about the data.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1593
April 21st, 2020 at 5:08:31 PM permalink
Quote: racquet

What will speed up the demise of chips is the current inability of casinos to accurately track chip betting. So either chips go away or every chip has an embedded RFID chip inside. That way they can more accurately track winners and losers so as to market to... the losers. Well, since we're all losers, to the BIGGER losers, those who are convinced that they are NOT losers.

The cleanliness of chips, like the germ-infested currency that we exchange them for, will not matter, any more than it did six months ago.
c
It is only the need for data that will determine how long chips exist. Maybe it'll be the tax man who demands better accounting, maybe it's the marketing manager at the casino who can best demonstrate targeted promotions to a more select clientele than he can focus on when he's dealing with chipped games.

For card counters, those RFID chips will soon be in the cards that are dealt, or, like chips. real cards will go away as well.

Analog gambling is on the decline, but not because of pandemics. It's all about the data.




Of course, it will not be because of public health ultimately, it will be because of tracking.

But, COVID-19 will give a publically acceptable reason to be start such transition.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 12756
April 21st, 2020 at 5:13:41 PM permalink
Quote: racquet



Gamblers are not the smartest people in the world. Nobody that takes covid-19 seriously will ever walk into a casino again, and probably not into a restaurant, restroom or hotel room. Wait for the sudden explosion of travel that occurs when cooped up people are either "allowed" to get out, or just say the hell with it and do so anyway. Where's the least practical place to go and celebrate? Bars and... casinos!



Most people want to get back to normal. We will be back to normal as fast as it is allowed. One virus threat should not be changing our way of life. People that are going to let this keep them out of the casino were probably not regular casino goers in the first place.

Germaphobes have always been and always will be with up. The rest of us prefer the feel of shuffling our cheques. Love the sound of them. Love a jamming craps game, social distancing fugheddabaddit.

Life is full of calculated risk.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 1186
April 21st, 2020 at 7:13:28 PM permalink
Table games like craps are a complete dinosaur in 2020. 4 employees to run one game.

2 dealers
1 Boxman
1 Stickman.

This is a game set up more akin to a 1950’s gas station when 3 employees ran out and checked your oil, put gas in the tank and wiped your windshield.

Margins are thin to begin with on a table. Now, only 3 players allowed?

How they work all this out is beyond me.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1593
April 21st, 2020 at 7:22:48 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

Table games like craps are a complete dinosaur in 2020. 4 employees to run one game.

2 dealers
1 Boxman
1 Stickman.

This is a game set up more akin to a 1950’s gas station when 3 employees ran out and checked your oil, put gas in the tank and wiped your windshield.

Margins are thin to begin with on a table. Now, only 3 players allowed?

How they work all this out is beyond me.



Exactly.

And, that is not factoring the extra surveillance for tables and extra security that is required. And, the cashiers that must exchange chips... And, all of the behind the scenes work....

I am suprised more people do not see how inefficient table games are.

Table games will have to modernize eventually....
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 1186
April 21st, 2020 at 9:02:38 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Exactly.

And, that is not factoring the extra surveillance for tables and extra security that is required. And, the cashiers that must exchange chips... And, all of the behind the scenes work....

I am suprised more people do not see how inefficient table games are.

Table games will have to modernize eventually....


This situation has thrown a gigantic monkey wrench into the casino business. This is a business that generally has “close quarters”....table games, slot machines, sports books, bars, bar top gaming, transfers of chips, money, cards, dice.

The distance guidelines alone will present massive problems to the bottom line. Close down every other slot? Oof.

I’m at a complete loss on how all this is going to work profitably....and, at least here in Vegas, seems we are not close to even opening the doors.

Terrible situation. Not just for gaming but all life and business.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 12756
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffrey
April 22nd, 2020 at 3:51:08 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Exactly.

And, that is not factoring the extra surveillance for tables and extra security that is required. And, the cashiers that must exchange chips... And, all of the behind the scenes work....

I am suprised more people do not see how inefficient table games are.

Table games will have to modernize eventually....



Table games draw players in. Without them you just have a room of slots. Table games have higher limits. They are part of any "real" casino. They will remain for decades.

Let the people afraid of them not play, means more tables with lower limits for the rest of us.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
racquet
racquet
Joined: Dec 31, 2014
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 411
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
April 22nd, 2020 at 6:42:29 AM permalink
Let's not forget that casinos provide the greatest source of government revenue there is - greater than liquor and cigarette taxes, greater than lottery sales, greater than sales taxes. Rhode Island's governor bemoans the closing of casinos more for the harm to state revenue, which fund the salaries, pensions and benefits of state employees, their friends and relatives, and the salaries and pensions of state unions and public school teachers.

Greater than their concern for public safety, loss of state revenue means much more to governors who are going to be very strapped to keep their budgets in balance because people are not flocking to casinos.

Liberals all say they are looking out for the little guy - the underprivileged, minorities, the poor. But those are the folks most susceptible and victimized by gambling and tobacco. The never-ending need to feed state and local revenue streams so that their pensions and those of their friends drives any and all considerations - safety be damned. Make cigarette sales illegal and banning gambling would be the best thing the left could do for "our people." It will never happen.,

There will be carve-outs for casinos in all the new rules, just as there are exceptions to "no smoking" rules that bypass casinos. Surprisingly, casinos may be the most libertarian venues left in the new world. People won't have the Nanny state telling them what to do, or more realistically, what they CANNOT do, because Nanny needs to pay salaries to all her minions. Folks will get to decide whether they want to play craps like they used to, or be "safe", whatever that means.

Casinos will be packed. Get there early if you want a spot at a craps table.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
April 22nd, 2020 at 8:36:19 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Exactly.

And, that is not factoring the extra surveillance for tables and extra security that is required. And, the cashiers that must exchange chips... And, all of the behind the scenes work....

I am suprised more people do not see how inefficient table games are.

Table games will have to modernize eventually....

This has been answered in the tread already. It will not happen. Don't give answers, ask questions.
I am a robot.

  • Jump to: