98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
February 5th, 2012 at 6:28:22 PM permalink
First score of the game, and a safety scored in the game. Anyone cash-in?
6 minutes left in game only 7 scores.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
thomasgrayson
thomasgrayson
  • Threads: 3
February 5th, 2012 at 6:42:20 PM permalink
I saw that one when I checked on the box scores. That would have been a really interesting thing to bet, and it would sure pay a lot!
98Clubs
98Clubs
February 5th, 2012 at 7:04:19 PM permalink
I think pinnaclesports had it as 7 to 2 (coupled with FG) and 9 to 1 respecively in OP. 9:1 For a safety is low odds. Thats why I asked if anyone cashed... might be some nice wins in the forum.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
February 5th, 2012 at 7:18:32 PM permalink
http://www.businessinsider.com/super-bowl-safety-bet-2012-2

Someone hit for $50,000....
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 5th, 2012 at 8:06:47 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

First score of the game, and a safety scored in the game. Anyone cash-in?
6 minutes left in game only 7 scores.

I cashed in.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 5th, 2012 at 8:33:48 PM permalink
I lost BIG TIME on that. I don't even want to say how much.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
thecesspit
thecesspit
February 5th, 2012 at 9:01:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Ouch sorry to here that. I do think it was a better bet to go for the NO, it's a bet I make with my heart rather than my head.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 5th, 2012 at 9:17:23 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

it's a bet I make with my heart rather than my head.

I never bet with my heart -- always my head.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 6th, 2012 at 5:58:52 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
98Clubs
98Clubs
February 6th, 2012 at 7:46:11 AM permalink
+1 thousand ;o)

Sorry Wiz about the hit, hope it didn't cramp your style.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 6th, 2012 at 7:49:03 AM permalink

It also took some balls to bet on Kansas City beating the undefeated Green Bay Packers. CONGRATS!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 6th, 2012 at 8:29:32 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

This is why 99.999999% of gamblers are losing gamblers.

Is that .999 repeating? Because that would make it 100%
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 6th, 2012 at 8:35:17 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

It also took some balls to bet on Kansas City beating the undefeated Green Bay Packers. CONGRATS!

Thanks. I think I had 6 to 1 on that. However, I lost a lot more betting against the safety, laying 9 to 1. I show it fair laying about 20 to 1. 13.5% of my Super Bowl bankroll was on the no safety. I might add that 4.2% was on first score to be a touchdown, which the safety also ruined.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 6th, 2012 at 10:06:31 AM permalink

Just remember this " It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet."
ROFLMAO
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 6th, 2012 at 10:10:26 AM permalink

Just remember this " It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet."

That's true. I may have lost this year, but I'm still up a lot of money since I started betting props about eight years ago. Whether a good gambler or bad, in the short run your money will go up and down like a roller coaster.
thecesspit
thecesspit
February 6th, 2012 at 10:23:39 AM permalink

This is wise, but I'm not always wise.

The superbowl props bets are mostly head, but there's a couple I do for the entertainment value I get from them.

I skipped the over/under on the anthem time, as my research said she'd be right around the 1m35s mark. And she was.

I did take "the number of times Peyton Manning would be mentioned during the game" for the under (<3). That was a good one I thought, as my experience says the commentators rarely mention players who aren't playing, keeping the story on the game, and the players on the field. BoDog I think scored it as one (there was a mention to the "house that Peyton Built" with regards to the stadium).

I lost on not having a defensive or special teams TD (marginal bet at best), first team to get a first down, and number of field goals, and who the winning MVP would thank... I was sure it'd be the team mates, but the way the interview and MVP was announced didn't lead in, so I'd skip that one in the future.

So I'd have taken a loss if it was not for the safety. I suspect the bookies made out alright on it, as for every $20,000 winner on the first score being a safety, there'd have been plenty of action of the first score being a TD from team X.

The FGs would have hit had Bradshaw been able to stop on the 1 yard line. Spikes might have had to do the strange move of shoving his opponent in for a score. The "unimpeded to the end zone" that Belichick called was genius. Very smooth move, might have worked if his receivers hadn't put on the iron gloves for the last drive of the game.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 6th, 2012 at 10:31:34 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
hhhccc
hhhccc
  • Threads: 11
February 7th, 2012 at 7:25:11 AM permalink

13.5% of my Super Bowl bankroll was on the no safety. I might add that 4.2% was on first score to be a touchdown, which the safety also ruined.

These are pretty silly high percentages, isn't it? There are so many different bets to be made on the game, couldn't you have spread your money out on other good bets too? I'm disappointed.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 7th, 2012 at 7:34:16 AM permalink
Quote: hhhccc

These are pretty silly high percentages, isn't it? There are so many different bets to be made on the game, couldn't you have spread your money out on other good bets too? I'm disappointed.

Heretic ;)

There have been very few safeties in the Super Bowl, becasue there have been few safeties overall. It's a rare occurence, after all. So it's a good bet to wager on no safeties. And hindsight is 20/20.

As for a TD to open the score, that's reasonable. Given two highly defensive teams, I'd tend to favor a field goal. Otherwise the first score is often a TD.

Question: what's more unusual, ie what happens less often, a game with a safety or a game without any TDs?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 7th, 2012 at 7:39:26 AM permalink
From 2000 to 2010 the probability of a safety was 5.8%. That makes it fair laying 1633 against a safety. The fact that there were safeties in Super Bowls 2008 and 2012 will not deter me from making the same bet next year. It isn't whether you win or lose, it's whether or not you had a good bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 7th, 2012 at 7:51:29 AM permalink

From 2000 to 2010 the probability of a safety was 5.8%. That makes it fair laying 1633 against a safety. The fact that there were safeties in Super Bowls 2008 and 2012 will not deter me from making the same bet next year. It isn't whether you win or lose, it's whether or not you had a good bet.

Wiz- you did not include in your analysis which two teams were playing. Teams with strong pass rushes (the Giants) against a team coached by a man not afriad to be aggressive and call pass plays deep in his own zone (the Patriots) would have a far higher likelihood of a safety than, say, a chicken shit team like the Bills who would run 3 times rather than 'risk' something bad happening. Your assumption that all matchups have an equally likely chance of a safety may be incorrect. If the average number of TDs in a game is 7, but the Ravens are playing the Bills, I would guess that 5 1/2 is the fair line. If its the Saints and Packers, maybe 9. Safety chances may vary, too... but its not as easy to track.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
February 7th, 2012 at 7:52:37 AM permalink
Did anyone post this link yet? Good stuff, that ...

Fan who bet on first score safety and won $50k is donating it to charity

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
hhhccc
hhhccc
February 7th, 2012 at 7:57:25 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Heretic ;)

There have been very few safeties in the Super Bowl, becasue there have been few safeties overall. It's a rare occurence, after all. So it's a good bet to wager on no safeties. And hindsight is 20/20.

As for a TD to open the score, that's reasonable. Given two highly defensive teams, I'd tend to favor a field goal. Otherwise the first score is often a TD.

Question: what's more unusual, ie what happens less often, a game with a safety or a game without any TDs?

Good bet on no safety? YES!
Good bet on first score is TD? YES!

My question is simply betsizing.

I have no doubts that they were very good, solid bets. I also trust and agree with Wizard's numbers on the probability of a safety.
All I am questioning is relative bet-sizing versus other prop bets out there. Surely there were many other good prop bets, and thus to lose, even after losing the safety bet, seems like a poor spreading of bankroll.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 7th, 2012 at 9:02:01 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Wiz- you did not include in your analysis which two teams were playing. Teams with strong pass rushes (the Giants) against a team coached by a man not afriad to be aggressive and call pass plays deep in his own zone (the Patriots) would have a far higher likelihood of a safety than, say, a chicken shit team like the Bills who would run 3 times rather than 'risk' something bad happening. Your assumption that all matchups have an equally likely chance of a safety may be incorrect. If the average number of TDs in a game is 7, but the Ravens are playing the Bills, I would guess that 5 1/2 is the fair line. If its the Saints and Packers, maybe 9. Safety chances may vary, too... but its not as easy to track.

I factor in the spread and the total in the probability for the specific game. In the case of the safety bet it doesn't make much difference, so I didn't want to muddy the waters with discussion about that. However, since you bring it up, I put the probability of a safety in Sunday's game at 6.1%, a little higher than the 5.8% average.

I'm sure my numbers would be a little sharper if I considered individual team strategy, but I don't deem it a good use of my time.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 7th, 2012 at 9:27:57 AM permalink

I'm sure my numbers would be a little sharper if I considered individual team strategy, but I don't deem it a good use of my time.

Do you try individual team stats? I mean, if the Springfield Isotopes, for example, comit more safeties than average, does that influence your calcualtions? Of course, safeties being so rare it probably doesn't.

Was there a bet on whether a team would make a 4th down conversion? That would be a good bet to make on the Pats on any close game.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
February 7th, 2012 at 9:48:21 AM permalink

I factor in the spread and the total in the probability for the specific game. In the case of the safety bet it doesn't make much difference, so I didn't want to muddy the waters with discussion about that. However, since you bring it up, I put the probability of a safety in Sunday's game at 6.1%, a little higher than the 5.8% average.

Philosophical aside about probabilities: I have a strong background in statistics and probabilities, even if I mess up the calculations occasionally. I can explain some really hard stuff to colleagues when I need to. That being said, I am always bothered by these probabilities of events occurring, especially during human contests like sports. It's not a die being tossed, it's people! You can look at the historical data and grab a sample mean, and hope it's the 'best estimator' for the true probability... but what was the REAL probability of it happening? Impossible to determine, I'm sure. Coin Flip + opening snap + first coaching calls of the game all came together to cause the safety. The probability even evolved over time, like a die spinning on the table.

And then there's always the chance, maybe not this time, but in any sport, that the players were in on it somehow. Blows my mind.

tl:dr? Probabilities that can't be expressly measured make my head hurt.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 7th, 2012 at 9:55:44 AM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

That being said, I am always bothered by these probabilities of events occurring, especially during human contests like sports. It's not a die being tossed, it's people!

I'd rather bet on something perfectly quantifiable too, but it isn't easy find a card game with a player advantage any more. Maybe my number crunching in sports betting isn't perfect, but it has served me well through the years.
hhhccc
hhhccc
February 7th, 2012 at 1:57:08 PM permalink
dwheatley, take two random teams and put them in the Super Bowl. what do you think the Safety line would be? Of course, it would be very close to the same as NE/NYG! How do I know? Well, because it is that way every time there is a Safety line regardless of the teams in the Super Bowl, regardless of the defenses, offenses, line or total. That tells us the line is just wrong, the books or the Yes bettors didn't know anything special about this game that the pro bettors didn't know.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
February 7th, 2012 at 5:03:42 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Did anyone post this link yet?...Fan...won $50k is donating it to charity...

Yes ...here... see later in the same thread when tmz reported it with a picture. This was my original post before that appeared and it seems the UK bookies were initially a bit more generous in their odds.
Quote: charliepatrick

(1) fwiw The odds for a safety at the first play for each team on one of the uk bookmakers a few hours before kick off was 125/1.
(2) Seems someone managed $200 to win $15,000; and the BBC on their live showing of the Superbowl were saying bookies might have lost £20k (though can't find anything about it on the internet).

And this win seems to be on several websites ..
$50,000 won - ...the punter placed $1000 and only won $50,000. So I think the odds were 50-1. However same story here.

btw when an outsider wins (such as a UK horse race) it is usually the best result for the bookmaker. However I remember one race (many years ago) where it was the worst for one bookie as they had taken a bet of £150 to win £5,000. Also at Newton Abbott where a 66/1 won the last race it was easy to see that two people on the track had found the winner, everyone else had left!

98Clubs
98Clubs
February 10th, 2012 at 11:34:08 AM permalink
@WIZ: well said.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 10th, 2012 at 12:50:29 PM permalink
" btw when an outsider wins (such as a UK horse race) it is usually the best result for the bookmaker. "
I used to run bets out to the track when a bookie had too much action on an outsider. If horse won he would collect at 40 or 50 to 1 and payoff at 20 to 1. Also would run win bets to the track on bet down first time starters, Would bet place. If horse wins at 3.00 win, 2.80 place, books loses 20 on 200 bet, Horse runs second bookie win 280. Not a bad straddle, eh.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 10th, 2012 at 1:34:06 PM permalink

Okay, if its unpleasant you can simply drop the issue but I wonder if you were then or are now at all curious as to just why the lines on the bet were so unusually unfavorable. Do you think there might be anyone who was "in the know" for real as opposed to unjustified claims.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 10th, 2012 at 1:43:29 PM permalink

But did you not say how much on the radio ???
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 10th, 2012 at 3:24:03 PM permalink

But did you not say how much on the radio ???

Yes, I guess I let the cat out of the bag. Okay, here you go. Click on it for a larger version.

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 10th, 2012 at 3:37:11 PM permalink
Sure would make for some expensive wallpaper.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 10th, 2012 at 4:01:07 PM permalink

Sure would make for some expensive wallpaper.

I save all my losing tickets. I should have enough to cover at least one wall of my office. The thing is they fade fast, and wouldn't look good in a couple years.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 10th, 2012 at 4:05:53 PM permalink

I save all my losing tickets. I should have enough to cover at least one wall of my office. The thing is they fade fast, and wouldn't look good in a couple years.

and it doesn't hurt to have the proof that the tax-man needs to offset the winnings.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 10th, 2012 at 4:07:48 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

and it doesn't hurt to have the proof that the tax-man needs to offset the winnings.

That's why I keep them.
robsanchez
robsanchez
  • Threads: 0
February 13th, 2012 at 7:16:05 PM permalink
I've seen this one on Yahoo Sports and I must say it is a one lucky bet. I really hope that luck would strike to us in all ways than one.
  • Threads: 8
February 19th, 2012 at 11:28:13 AM permalink

Yes, I guess I let the cat out of the bag. Okay, here you go. Click on it for a larger version.

I know you've said that laying money can be some of the best bets, but at most sportsbooks are you able to bet the "Don't" on pretty much any bet that is offered? (e.g. can you lay the odds against Ole Miss winning the BCS championship for a long shot of 125/1) Since in reality wouldn't anything below 500/1 be a good bet to lay??? :)....
Hotty Toddy!!!
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
February 19th, 2012 at 11:32:57 AM permalink
The Nevada Gaming Commission released the Super Bowl XLVI handle for the state’s sports books.
The final tally: $93.89 million wagered at 184 sportsbooks, resulting in a net profit of $5.06 million.
Second largest Super Bowl handle (first: Super Bowl XL between the Seattle Seahawks and Pittsburgh Steelers with $94.5 million wagered).
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
98Clubs
98Clubs
February 21st, 2012 at 11:51:45 AM permalink
But is 5.389% above or below average?
  • Jump to: