ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
April 14th, 2011 at 6:31:39 AM permalink
Not that I'm offering advice or anything, but I put 1 large on the Blazers over the Mavs last night. Seems like the surest bet so far ...
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
April 14th, 2011 at 8:57:32 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

Not that I'm offering advice or anything, but I put 1 large on the Blazers over the Mavs last night. Seems like the surest bet so far ...

Uh....they play basketball, not soccer. Might want to retrieve your bet if possible.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
April 14th, 2011 at 10:01:09 AM permalink
Quote: dm

Uh....they play basketball, not soccer. Might want to retrieve your bet if possible.

Wow ... did I put NBA instead of MLS in the thread title by mistake? :P
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
April 14th, 2011 at 10:03:41 AM permalink
Quote: Altut

I like it. Portland is surprising in that it is a match-up nightmare for Dallas and even the Lakers, even though they are a relatively obscure team. Was your bet for the 1st game or the series?

But what were you thinking with a post that actually has something to do with betting here?

I didn't bet game-by-game since it's a little more squirrelly, but I would guess Dallas will win the first game. Portland is a terrible road team, but I do see them taking at least 1 in Dallas, but I wouldn't guess the first. And I don't see Dallas winning in Portland at all.

FWIW, I'm a big Mavs fan and live in Dallas. And, I'm 9-0 on my last 9 sports bets.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 14th, 2011 at 12:53:23 PM permalink
it can be easier to do in some ways. You know the team, you know it's strengths and weaknesses, and if it's another team you've seen a lot of, it can be easier to see a good bet that the general public may not.

I've made most of my successful NFL bets betting on NFC North teams, and will happily bet against the Lions if the line is stupid. Obviously, betting against the Lions has been easier in the last few seasons, which has meant last year there was some great lines when betting with them.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
dm
dm
April 14th, 2011 at 2:57:57 PM permalink

I didn't bet game-by-game since it's a little more squirrelly, but I would guess Dallas will win the first game. Portland is a terrible road team, but I do see them taking at least 1 in Dallas, but I wouldn't guess the first. And I don't see Dallas winning in Portland at all.

FWIW, I'm a big Mavs fan and live in Dallas. And, I'm 9-0 on my last 9 sports bets.

Hey, I'm from Temple. If the Mavs leave Brewer off the roster they deserve to lose. Otherwise, I don't think they will play dead this year.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
April 14th, 2011 at 8:05:33 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

it can be easier to do in some ways. You know the team, you know it's strengths and weaknesses, and if it's another team you've seen a lot of, it can be easier to see a good bet that the general public may not.

I've made most of my successful NFL bets betting on NFC North teams, and will happily bet against the Lions if the line is stupid. Obviously, betting against the Lions has been easier in the last few seasons, which has meant last year there was some great lines when betting with them.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly right ... it's probably the main reason I'm 9-0, and 15-1 (stupid French!). All bets were on games where I was pretty certain (whatever that means when it comes to sports betting) I would win, and they all involved teams I know very well ... Cowboys, Mavs, World Cup games, USA national soccer team, Stanford, and TCU. 15-1 isn't perfect, but it's still +14, which ain't bad.

It's not a lot of betting, and because I'm so sure of the result, it's not a lot of drama. It's always more fun when my team is on the right side of it, but hey, who around here wasn't rooting for Wade Phillips to get fired? May as well make some money if the team is going nowhere.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 15th, 2011 at 10:50:15 AM permalink
I was hoping for another year of coach ICanHaz, just because it's great for another team to be the subject of ridicule for once :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
April 20th, 2011 at 3:49:26 PM permalink
Oh well, can't win 'em all. My thinking hinged on POR taking one of the first two in Dallas. At this stage, I don't see POR winning 4 of the next 5.

That's what happens when you brag, I guess ... sigh.
dm
dm
April 21st, 2011 at 9:36:38 AM permalink
Even if they had, Dallas is one of the best road teams in the NBA.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
April 21st, 2011 at 11:05:20 PM permalink

Even if they had, Dallas is one of the best road teams in the NBA.

I'd have to research Dallas's road record, but I do know that POR was 31-10 before tonite. And they won tonite.

I still think I'll lose my bet, but there's no doubt POR is a terrific home team, and it is still *possible* - however improbable - that they will win the series.

FWWI, I feel like a traitor to the home team, but it is a large ...
Ericayne
Ericayne
  • Threads: 0
May 17th, 2011 at 4:01:41 PM permalink
So how do you feel about your Mavs vs. the Thunder starting tonight?
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
May 17th, 2011 at 6:50:50 PM permalink
Quote: Ericayne

So how do you feel about your Mavs vs. the Thunder starting tonight?

Well, as a fan, I'm happy. As a bettor, I obviously do not have the feel for this team that I thought, so I'm not putting anything on or against them. FWIW, I didn't put anything on them v. the Lakers even though I was VERY tempted to throw that good money after bad.
dm
dm
May 18th, 2011 at 9:09:44 AM permalink
Please bet at least $1 on the Thunder!
Ericayne
Ericayne
May 24th, 2011 at 10:19:07 AM permalink
Dude.....your Mavs are filthy good right now!! That's now 5 straight playoff road wins....amazing!! They are now 9-1 ATS the last 10 games!! Soccer: I totally understand why you didn't wager on your Mavs based on past playoff history. But you've got to admit now this is a completely different team. Their next game at home is chalked at -6.5...just thought I'd throw that out to you. The Thunder will not recover from last night's loss.

Even though I am Laker fan, I'm stoked to be watching some amazing basketball in these playoffs. Can't wait to see the finals....
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
May 24th, 2011 at 10:32:22 AM permalink

Dude.....your Mavs are filthy good right now!! That's now 5 straight playoff road wins....amazing!! They are now 9-1 ATS the last 10 games!! Soccer: I totally understand why you didn't wager on your Mavs based on past playoff history. But you've got to admit now this is a completely different team. Their next game at home is chalked at -6.5...just thought I'd throw that out to you. The Thunder will not recover from last night's loss.

Even though I am Laker fan, I'm stoked to be watching some amazing basketball in these playoffs. Can't wait to see the finals....

How can I not admit that? I'm ecstatic as a fan, last night was the single best, most memorable, and important pro basketball game for the franchise, even the 2006 Game 7 v. Spurs!

But here's the thing ...

I was on this forum last night when there was about 5 minutes left in the game last night. I was *THIS* close to betting any amount of money that the Mavs would lose that game, as well as shooting my mouth off with a little Mavs sports-hate. Good thing I didn't.

For whatever reason ... well, maybe a well-known reason ... there's still a reticence around here. I don't pretend to know what Red Sox and Cubs fans feel, but my guess is, our corporate feelings about the Mavs at least bark up that same tree.

Be that as it may ... I don't bet on sports often, but when I do, I bet with a Dos Equis in my hand (couldnt' resist)! When I do, I'm pretty confident because I get this "feel" for teams. If I don't have that "feel," I won't bet. I'm 14-2 in my last 16 bets (including the following bet) dating back to about when I joined this forum.

Well, I put a large on the Blazers over the Mavs, and after Game 4, I thought I was a winner. But I obviously don't have the correct "feel" for this Mavs team. That has been shown at the Lakers series, and again last night. So, I'm thinking I'll root for them but I won't bet on/against them. Even though my "feeling" is that the Thunder are cooked. Games in this series have been decided by 9, 6, 6, and 5, and I just don't believe it will be another G4 v. Lakers.

But I may be too close to them. If you're feeling it, go for it! I'll cheer for you to win the bet!
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
May 25th, 2011 at 8:57:02 PM permalink

Well, Mavs by 4. Can't wait for the Finals!

Just gotta say ... I'm a VERY big fan of Durant and OCK now. I think they have a really bright future, and will definitely be back. And, KD's work on the national basketball team just makes me a bigger fan!
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 25th, 2011 at 10:28:41 PM permalink
Portland Fail-Blazers.

'Nuf said.
"What, me worry?"
gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
May 25th, 2011 at 11:02:06 PM permalink

Just gotta say ... I'm a VERY big fan of Durant and OCK now. I think they have a really bright future, and will definitely be back. And, KD's work on the national basketball team just makes me a bigger fan!

I think that Kevin Durrant needs another year or two to become a more demanding player. He seems almost like too nice of a guy down the stretch and you need to have a slight chip on the shoulder and demand the basketball in the last few minutes. It almost seems like he is just going with the flow.

I also like the future that Oklahoma has.
Ericayne
Ericayne
May 26th, 2011 at 9:28:05 AM permalink

Well, Mavs by 4.....

This is why no one on this forum should ever take my sports betting advice ever.....EVER....E.V.E.R!!!!
It didn't work very well in NFL football, it sure didn't work out last night.....
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 27th, 2011 at 5:16:34 PM permalink
Okay, it's time to get in your Finals predictions:

1) Dallas or Miami
2) How many games
3) Total score of last game, without going over, as a tie breaker.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 27th, 2011 at 7:12:59 PM permalink
Rooting for Mavs...... but Heat in 5 199pts.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
May 28th, 2011 at 12:29:36 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Rooting for Mavs...... but Heat in 5 199pts.

Wrong. Mavs in 6.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 28th, 2011 at 2:26:05 AM permalink
The NBA has surprised me and got me interested in their playoffs for the first time in years and years.

Betting: no action from me!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
May 31st, 2011 at 10:25:37 AM permalink

Wrong. Mavs in 6.

Total points?
Ericayne
Ericayne
May 31st, 2011 at 11:21:16 AM permalink
Mavs in 7. 189pts.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
May 31st, 2011 at 1:27:15 PM permalink
Interesting that there are no Miami backers (yet). I will be the contrarian and go with the Heat in 6, 173 total pts. This will solidify LeBron's legacy as, "Most Hated Man in Ohio"

edit: Sorry SooPoo, I mis remembered your post. I'll cheer for them for you.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 31st, 2011 at 2:34:56 PM permalink
What I've heard doesnt jive: that the Heat is the heavy favorite, and that the Mavs went 8 and 0 against them during the regular season [or similar].
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
June 3rd, 2011 at 5:54:12 AM permalink
I think ... I'm *actually* starting to believe in the Mavs!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
June 3rd, 2011 at 7:00:32 AM permalink

do they have to be the cardiac kids all the time? Coming back from 15 points down 4th quarter seems to be their deal!
Ericayne
Ericayne
June 3rd, 2011 at 8:56:55 AM permalink

Believe!!! The Heatles didn't think Dirk could go left because of his messed up finger.
So what does Dirk do?? Drive for a left handed layup to tie the game...and again....to win the game.
Down 12 @ Portland....
Down 16 @ LA.....
Down 15 @ OKC.....
and now down 15 @ Miami.....

Road tested.....
Believe!!!
dm
dm
June 8th, 2011 at 9:06:02 AM permalink
Wow! How could the Mavs win game 4 with NO ONE playing anywhere near their best, except Chandler, maybe? The Heat even had a sixth man on their side calling fouls for Wade.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
June 8th, 2011 at 3:22:04 PM permalink

Wow! How could the Mavs win game 4 with NO ONE playing anywhere near their best, except Chandler, maybe? The Heat even had a sixth man on their side calling fouls for Wade.

It's crazy. I'm starting to believe in them too. It's like Secretariat, always coming from way behind.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
June 13th, 2011 at 6:45:45 AM permalink

Wrong. Mavs in 6.

Woo hoo! How 'bout them Mavs?!? I didn't bet on it, and this prediction wasn't a "feeling" as much as it was, hey, we're not winning a game 7, so if we win, it will be in 6.

Anyway, not that anybody cares, but jee-ZUS, are LeBron and Wade really that dense and ego-arrogant? How can two guys have so little self-awareness? They're both unloveable Michael Scott's. What dee-bags.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 13th, 2011 at 6:51:37 AM permalink
Congrats ICS on the little mavericks winning it all. 15 years in the DFW area made them my adopted western conference team, so I am happy today.

If only my beloved Pacers could pull off such a stunt...sigh....
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
thecesspit
thecesspit
June 13th, 2011 at 7:18:55 AM permalink

Woo hoo! How 'bout them Mavs?!? I didn't bet on it, and this prediction wasn't a "feeling" as much as it was, hey, we're not winning a game 7, so if we win, it will be in 6.

Anyway, not that anybody cares, but jee-ZUS, are LeBron and Wade really that dense and ego-arrogant? How can two guys have so little self-awareness? They're both unloveable Michael Scott's. What dee-bags.

What did they do?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 13th, 2011 at 7:55:45 AM permalink
Epic Fail.
"What, me worry?"
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
June 13th, 2011 at 10:33:17 AM permalink
Quote: avargov

the little mavericks

High five to an apparent fellow P1!

Nice to see the Mavs win. The last game I had gone to before this season was Game 2 of the 2006 finals. I'm glad that that game is no longer the pinnacle of Mav's history.

Bill Simmons said he had gone large on the Mavs in 6 at +420. Not bad. I'm not a sports bettor but I like his writing and I think he broke off espn.com so he could talk up the gambling side a bit more. Are the sports bettors here usually respectful of his opinions or is he just another blowhard writer?
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
June 13th, 2011 at 5:23:13 PM permalink
Quote: progrocker

High five to an apparent fellow P1!

<fart> The kids like that!
TheDoctor
TheDoctor
June 14th, 2011 at 3:44:16 PM permalink
I don't think he's another blowhard writer. He definitely seems to have a love for sports gambling that can only be partially explored on a mainstream site like ESPN.com.

As a long time sports gambler, my opinions of Simmons are as follows:

1. He's pretty up front about which sports he knows well and which not as well.
2. For the sports he knows well (ex. NBA), he makes a lot of solid plays. He's also good at recognizing underdog teams that are improving as the season goes on, which keeps him ahead of the curve.
3. However, for sports he doesn't know very well (ex. college basketball), it's usually better to take anything he says with a grain of salt (or many).
4. Probably his biggest weakness (and the most common weakness of the public in sports betting) is that he overreacts to individual games. When an otherwise good team lays an egg, he wants to place that in some kind of overarching context (a common issue with sports writers) when sometimes there is no overarching context. Great teams play badly sometimes...it happens. Put it this way: if he did power rankings like most handicappers do, they'd shuffle A LOT week to week.
5. And obviously, all that goes DOUBLE for any team from Boston. To the Sports Guy, all Boston teams are either unstoppable juggernauts or fatally flawed and there's no middle ground. It's better not to put much stock in his Boston opinions.

I find him to be entertaining, and his podcasts with Cousin Sal where they guess NFL lines are not to be missed.
The Doctor: www.doctoranddude.com
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 14th, 2011 at 3:56:20 PM permalink

<fart> The kids like that!

C'Mon ICS...you know the little ticket is better than 103.3. I can't even listen to ESPN anymore. They take sports WAAAAAYYYYYY too seriously. I think 1310 is a nice balance of good sports talk and manbro entertainment.

That being said....haven't been a p1 since 2005 when I started this driving gig.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
  • Jump to: