ksdjdj
ksdjdj
  • Threads: 89
January 4th, 2022 at 12:46:57 PM permalink
Here are my "to make the playoffs" odds for the remaining NFC teams still "in the hunt" :

49ers (9-7): ~$1.69 / -144
Saints (8-8): $2.44 / +144

Note: I will try and do an AFC "odds ... to make the playoffs" post in the next couple of days (it will take a bit longer to work out).
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
January 4th, 2022 at 12:51:54 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Can anyone name the last Bama QB that lost five games?
link to original post

Namath was 29-4. Stabler was 28-3-2. Both were 3 year starters.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
January 4th, 2022 at 12:52:25 PM permalink
No Bama QB threw an NFL touchdown between Jeff Rutledge in 1987 and AJ McCarron in 2015.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 116
January 4th, 2022 at 12:52:40 PM permalink
Quote: TinMan

Quote: Wizard

Quote: SOOPOO

Goodell would take that ‘kneeling down’.
link to original post

That would be the biggest scandal in the NFL since deflate-gate.

Reminds me of a badminton game in the 2012 Olympics where both China and South Korea were incentivized to lose in a match and both tried to do so. The acting was evidently not very good. More information: Eight badminton players have been disqualified from the Olympics for tanking. Why were they trying to lose, and why is the sport so dirty?.
link to original post

This is the reason why the 3rd game of World Cup group stages are played simultaneously. There was a famous incident in the 80s where both teams essentially didn’t play the final game and just stood around for about 90 mins.
link to original post

. How would that be differentiated from other soccer games?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
Thanks for this post from:
ksdjdj
January 4th, 2022 at 1:09:53 PM permalink
Quote: moses

Quote: kewlj

I guess the same could be said about Colts. If they can't be Jaguars they don't deserve playoffs.

Well what about the Eagles? Eagles are in the playoffs and didn't beat a team with a winning record. The closest is New Orleans who is 8-8, might end up with a winning record if they win their last game.

It just seems like you should have to beat SOMEBODY with a winning record to make the playoffs, not just all losing teams. Either way, seems like a pretty good sign of a team not going very far. :/ (and that coming from an Eagles fan)
link to original post

I agree. AND the Eagles could sit all their starters on Saturday without effecting their status.

This takes us back to my original plan. Win 10 and in.
link to original post

I say play everyone in your conference (only) once per year, with a few non-conference games. Have head-to-head be the main tiebreaker, and if that fails (multi-way needed), you could go with team Points Differentials, which is going to make all games potentially more interesting because teams will generally want to favor continuing to try to score throughout the entire game, even if they are already up some ridiculous amount.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Ace2
Ace2 
  • Threads: 31
January 4th, 2022 at 1:14:02 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Too bad, unlike craps, there is no way to bet $100 that no way in hell Cowboys win SB! (Or Bills)
link to original post

You can on Betfair. Dallas to win is listed at 18.5 for 1. Dallas to not win is listed at 19 for 18. So a $100 wager would payout $105.56 if they don’t win
It’s all about making that GTA
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
Joeman
January 4th, 2022 at 1:20:00 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

If Indy loses, and the rest of the dominos fall into place so that both the Raiders and Chargers are in the playoffs, do you expect a competitive game? Do you think the starters play all the way
link to original post

Assuming there is no hard collusion, I expect it to be a competitive game and starters will play the entire game, barring a blowout. Think about it. If you were the Raiders and saw that the Chargers decided to rest their starters, you'd play your starters and kick the Chargers' a$$. Why 'hope' for a tie, when you can guarantee a victory?

But this is all moot anyway because it hinges on the Jags beating the Colts.
link to original post

If I'm Darrell Bevell, my pregame speech includes, "...and we are literally being DISRESPECTED by every single person in the entire world who watches the NFL (pause) and are they saying the odds are against us? No. People say that every week. That's a reasonable thing to say. Are they saying we CAN'T win? No. That wouldn't be true even if they did say it, but they're doing something much worse---they are laughing hysterically at the very notion of us winning this game. We have played the Bengals close, we BEAT the Dolphins, we BEAT the Bills, we ONLY lost to the Colts by six earlier this year...Now, maybe we won't win this game, but we're damn sure going to try...and I want this defense to take a piece of these mens' souls with every single hit. I want them wincing through their own blood as they line up for every single play. We are going to try to win and we CAN win, but win or lose, we will PUNISH THE OPPONENT for this disrespect today."

I think that's pretty good.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
January 4th, 2022 at 1:21:48 PM permalink

No Bama QB threw an NFL touchdown between Jeff Rutledge in 1987 and AJ McCarron in 2015.
link to original post

sigh.🙄 Brodie Croyle was 14-24 with Bama. He was drafted in the 3rd round by KC. He threw 8 TD passes in a career shortened by knee injuries.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
January 4th, 2022 at 1:31:01 PM permalink

link to original post

sigh.🙄 Brodie Croyle was 14-24 with Bama. He was drafted in the 3rd round by KC. He threw 8 TD passes in a career shortened by knee injuries.
link to original post

My mistake. The real stat is even worse. No Bama QB won an NFL game between JR in 1987 and AJ in 2015.

From wiki....The following week, McCarron became the first Alabama quarterback to win an NFL game since Jeff Rutledge of the New York Giants in 1987, when the Bengals beat the San Francisco 49ers 24–14. I
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
Mission146
January 4th, 2022 at 1:42:08 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

If I'm Darrell Bevell, my pregame speech includes, "...and we are literally being DISRESPECTED by every single person in the entire world who watches the NFL (pause) and are they saying the odds are against us? No. People say that every week. That's a reasonable thing to say. Are they saying we CAN'T win? No. That wouldn't be true even if they did say it, but they're doing something much worse---they are laughing hysterically at the very notion of us winning this game. We have played the Bengals close, we BEAT the Dolphins, we BEAT the Bills, we ONLY lost to the Colts by six earlier this year...Now, maybe we won't win this game, but we're damn sure going to try...and I want this defense to take a piece of these mens' souls with every single hit. I want them wincing through their own blood as they line up for every single play. We are going to try to win and we CAN win, but win or lose, we will PUNISH THE OPPONENT for this disrespect today."

I think that's pretty good.
link to original post

I like it. You know, if you want to make these speeches (and do some other football stuff) for a living, there is a job opening in Jax you may want to check out! ;)

BTW Mission, are you still on the Jaguars bandwagon? I remember you posted the following a while back:
Quote: Mission146

Thus, I have come to a decision, I am now a fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Thank you for your kind attention.
link to original post

*** Clipped for relevance, but the link takes you to the whole post ***
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: