lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
FinsRule
May 16th, 2021 at 11:17:22 AM permalink

we're too young to remember this - probably before I was born

writing the odds on a chalk board

that's why we call the favorite "chalk" - because as he got bet down they kept having to change his and all the other horses odds using chalk

Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 16th, 2021 at 1:10:02 PM permalink

Baffert is being sued by a group of bettors claiming his actions constituted racketeering and fraud

the 2nd link is the actual legal filing

https://www.actionnetwork.com/horse-racing/bettors-lawsuit-bob-baffert-medina-spirit-owners-fraud-kentucky-derby

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rWp6Qk28ZrBYA--JEy-6YqXslXxNsR1D/view

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
May 17th, 2021 at 1:29:54 PM permalink
NYRA (New York Racing Association) has made moves to block Baffert from racing in the state temporarily (pending completion of investigations).
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/NYRA_bans_Baffert_from_Belmont_Stakes_Saratoga_123
Hat tip to NY for trying to do the right thing for this sport.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 17th, 2021 at 2:25:26 PM permalink
I'm actually surprised this is so personal. I guess his horses have cost people a lot of money. Is it true he didn't talk up Medina Spirit? From what I remember though, when confronted, he denied it, and followed with saying the horse was never given the drug and also mentioned how the drug was legal. I'm not sure what that means, but it's probably not good. I'm repeating myself I think.
I am a robot.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
June 2nd, 2021 at 8:57:18 AM permalink
Anyone with Belmont PP please?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 2nd, 2021 at 1:11:58 PM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

Anyone with Belmont PP please?

1 - Bourbonic
2 - Essential Quality
3 - Rombauer
4 - Hot Rod Charlie
5 - France Go de Ina
6 - Known Agenda
7 - Rock Your World
8 - Overtook
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 2nd, 2021 at 1:43:41 PM permalink
They sort of have to throw Baffert out of racing if they’re making an honest attempt at “cleaning up” the “sport” don’t they?

Little good reason to continue breeding for the purpose of sport anyway considering the only reason horses are domesticated animals was for transportation and that ship sailed at least a century ago, but there an entirely different tangent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 2nd, 2021 at 1:56:48 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

They sort of have to throw Baffert out of racing if they’re making an honest attempt at “cleaning up” the “sport” don’t they?

there's too many other crooks in racing to apply that serious a penalty to Baffert - it wouldn't be fair to let the others continue playing the game

Baffert was like the King of Racing

they're going to smack him down

let him know that he's not the King - but they won't throw him out completely

he's already been hurt badly - his reputation is in tatters

ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
June 2nd, 2021 at 4:38:23 PM permalink
I need access.??!!
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
June 2nd, 2021 at 7:59:48 PM permalink
Not sure what happened.....they are at horseracing nation com
get second you pig
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 3rd, 2021 at 3:12:24 AM permalink

Churchill Downs officials announced yesterday that Baffert was banned from competing on their venue for 2 years

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/churchill-downs-bans-bob-baffert-2-years-after-failed-kentucky-n1269436

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
June 3rd, 2021 at 5:15:35 AM permalink
It sounds like he won’t be able to work for the next two years. What owner will choose him to train his young horse if that horse will not be eligible to run in the Derby? What happens to any present two year old he is training for next year’s triple crown races? I’d surmise the owner would need to fire him ASAP.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 3rd, 2021 at 6:00:14 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It sounds like he won’t be able to work for the next two years. What owner will choose him to train his young horse if that horse will not be eligible to run in the Derby? What happens to any present two year old he is training for next year’s triple crown races? I’d surmise the owner would need to fire him ASAP.

his world has been rocked but he will be able to work

he hasn't been sanctioned in CA - his home base - Santa Anita is gigantic in racing

lots of good ole boys in CA officialdom that he's buddy buddy with - they don't want to punish one of their own

but he will be a shadow of what he once was

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 3rd, 2021 at 7:36:35 AM permalink
Don't most racing jurisdictions honor others' suspensions? If you are suspended in NY, I don't think you can just go to California and work there until your suspension is over.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 3rd, 2021 at 9:43:11 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Don't most racing jurisdictions honor others' suspensions? If you are suspended in NY, I don't think you can just go to California and work there until your suspension is over.

here is the best explanation I can provide

from the article:

"Bob Baffert may be a pariah within the racing industry, but Monmouth Park is ready to roll out the red carpet for the embattled trainer.

After being suspended for two years by Churchill Downs Wednesday when the post-race positive drug test for Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit was confirmed, Baffert's likely to be stripped of his record seventh victory in the Run for the Roses. And the incident has him suspended indefinitely in New York, where he completed the Triple Crown with both American Pharoah and Justify.

But despite Baffert's on-going troubles, his top 3-year-olds are still invited to run in the $1 million TVG.com Haskell Stakes at Monmouth Park on July 17.

“If Bob has a Haskell horse and he wanted to come to Monmouth Park to run in the Haskell, he is welcome,” said Dennis Drazin, chairman and CEO of Darby Development LLC, which operates Monmouth Park."

CA officials are taking a wait and see approach - he cannot be banned without due process

Baffert has been banned from Belmont and Churchill Downs

but he has not had his license suspended by either the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission or the New York State Gaming Commission

if either of those parties provide due process and suspend his license, then yes, other jurisdictions will honor that

the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has found the 2nd test also to be positive and they have agreed to a 3rd test

before he is suspended and has his license revoked he must be allowed to defend himself - that is due process

https://www.app.com/story/sports/2021/06/03/disgraced-kentucky-derby-trainer-bob-baffert-welcome-monmouth-park-haskell/7517422002/

ddloml
ddloml
  • Threads: 1
June 3rd, 2021 at 10:04:01 AM permalink
Ironically, this quote appears on the wall of a stairwell at the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs:

“If you’re gonna be successful, you have to live and breathe this business. — Bob Baffert, Hall of Fame Trainer”
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 3rd, 2021 at 12:49:57 PM permalink

thoroughbred owner Jamgotchian wants to name one of his horses "Bad Test Bob"

he has another horse named "Malpractice Meuser" a name inspired by Baffert's attorney Michael Meuser

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/horse-racing/2021/05/28/owner-determined-tweak-bob-baffert-naming-horse-bad-test-bob/5246132001/

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 4th, 2021 at 3:31:34 AM permalink

here is Timeform's breakdown of the Belmont Stakes
GLTA

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 4th, 2021 at 4:19:47 PM permalink

a Baffert horse just won race 6 at Santa Anita a few minutes ago

who says crime doesn't pay?

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
June 5th, 2021 at 5:03:02 PM permalink
Essential Quality won the Belmont Stakes.
Hot Rod Charlie finished a very stubborn and resilient second. Great race down to the finish line.

Kentucky Derby winner: Mandaloun* (assuming Medina Spirit DQ)
Preakness winner: Rombauer
Belmont winner: Essential Quality

The 2021 Triple Crown cycle is over. Thanks to all for participating in this thread, it has been fun.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 20th, 2021 at 1:26:28 PM permalink

the linked Washington Post investigation is the most complete chronicling of Baffert's dirtiness going many years back that I've ever seen

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/18/bob-baffert-horse-deaths-drug-violations/

ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
May 2nd, 2022 at 7:15:48 AM permalink
With a week until the 2022 Run for the Roses...

Can one of the horse followers perhaps get a new thread started regarding this years contestants?

And insight into the favorites?

I am a gambler and do enjoy betting on the ponies!
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
  • Jump to: