Thread Rating:

mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 28th, 2010 at 12:48:00 PM permalink
Quote: Martin

See here

http://www.predictem.com/nfl/odds-conversion.php

This is about normal. Books have been doing these conversions forever.

Thanks! I knew the info had to be out there somewhere. Is this a "standard" conversion table, or does every book use its own?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
November 28th, 2010 at 1:13:45 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Do you have some kind of table that shows the relationship of money lines to spreads, i.e., what is a "fair" equivalent to +3, +7, etc.? And do those numbers correlate in any way with totals? (I have had the suspicion that being a 3-point underdog in an anticipated high-scoring game is less significant than it would be in, say, Chicago in December.)

Yes, I have such a table in my book. Through the years I've updated it a number of times, but the one is the book is still pretty good. I put the fair money line on a +3 dog at +148 in the NFL and +144 in college. I got +150 on Chicago, which normally isn't enough of a difference over fair to bother with, so I suppose I bet it somewhat on faith.

Quote: mkl654321

You do realize that you have painted me into a corner? There is now no way you can win without Jerry winning, too--so what am I supposed to hope for? I now have a vested interest in the game!!!!!!

(Actually, Wiz, I hope that you and Jerry both win--it'll make you happy, and it'll fatten Jerry up, and though we'll have to endure another round of cock-crowing by Jerry if that happens, his posts won't get any more obnoxious for that. So.....go Bears!!)

Thanks for the good wishes. I thought Jerry didn't bet it because he didn't collect his winnings from the last bet, so you shouldn't be conflicted.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
November 28th, 2010 at 1:16:17 PM permalink
OK. Game on. Enough with the sour grapes and envy of mkl. He gets caught again, what's new. Let's make him angry again this week with another Logan win!!!

7-3 already! I feel like I'm sticking pins into a voodoo doll of mkl each time the Bears have the ball!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 28th, 2010 at 1:53:50 PM permalink
JL- did you bet getting 3 1/2 points? Or on the money line? And 14 - 3 now....
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
November 28th, 2010 at 2:43:53 PM permalink
SOOPOO: I bet getting 3.5 points. I believe Wizard was betting on the money line.

WIZARD: I only made my bet after I went on-line to see that some of my winnings were transferred from last week, which I posted about prior to deciding to make this bet. Good luck to both of us.

21-13 at the half. Looking GOOD! Keep them pins coming.

Now 28-13, and my 2 doggies are enjoying watching the dog-torturer get sacked and beaten!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 28th, 2010 at 3:10:53 PM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

21-13 at the half. Looking GOOD! Keep them pins coming.

Thanks. I could use some luck (i.e. random variation on the right side of the bell curve). The last three weeks in the NFL have been dreadful for me, including today so far. It is times like these I need to reread my signature.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
November 28th, 2010 at 3:30:27 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks. I could use some luck (i.e. random variation on the right side of the bell curve). The last three weeks in the NFL have been dreadful for me, including today so far. It is times like these I need to reread my signature.

31-13. To help everyone out on this forum, I will make a few picks each week from here on out and I will ony identify the one or ones I bet. It'll be called "Logan's Run"

On your money line bet @ -155, what's the win amount for such a bet? I believe it's more than I get with the same bet at -110 right?
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 28th, 2010 at 3:33:29 PM permalink
I assume the Wizard got +155....

155 dollars profit per 100 bet.

-155 would be bet 155 dollars to win 100.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
November 28th, 2010 at 4:06:46 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I assume the Wizard got +155....

155 dollars profit per 100 bet.

-155 would be bet 155 dollars to win 100.

OK thanks, I wrote it wrong. So since the Bears are going to win he wins around $700.
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 28th, 2010 at 4:13:25 PM permalink
at +150 -> 750 win for a 500 bet. at +155, $775.

As opposed to a ~$450 win if you took the points for $500.

That TD will make the ML bettors sweat it for a few more minutes.

By few I meant one :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 28th, 2010 at 4:21:10 PM permalink

Yes, I have such a table in my book. Through the years I've updated it a number of times, but the one is the book is still pretty good. I put the fair money line on a +3 dog at +148 in the NFL and +144 in college. I got +150 on Chicago, which normally isn't enough of a difference over fair to bother with, so I suppose I bet it somewhat on faith.

Thanks for the good wishes. I thought Jerry didn't bet it because he didn't collect his winnings from the last bet, so you shouldn't be conflicted.

Well, I assume he had other money available....though Ill bet he wishes he had bet the farm, as he puts it. Congrats on winning $500, if the Bears hold out. Looks like Jerry will win no matter what, and you will PROBABLY win...
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 28th, 2010 at 4:59:18 PM permalink
First, congratulations are in order. Thanks for the pick, you've helped make a horrible day for me a little better. Of course, anybody can get 2 out of 2, so I look forward to more stone cold locks to increase the sample size.

Second, that NAMBLA comment is going over the line. I'm going to give you a chance to apologize, or convince me it wasn't an implication about mkl, before deciding what action to take.
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 28th, 2010 at 5:13:31 PM permalink

First, congratulations are in order. Thanks for the pick, you've helped make a horrible day for me a little better. Of course, anybody can get 2 out of 2, so I look forward to more stone cold locks to increase the sample size.

Second, that NAMBLA comment is going over the line. I'm going to give you a chance to apologize, or convince me it wasn't an implication about mkl, before deciding what action to take.

It's the "National Man-Boy Love Association", which advocates consensual sex between men and underage boys.

That isn't the worst thing Jerry has said about me in the last few days, not by a long shot.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
November 28th, 2010 at 5:40:05 PM permalink

I hope I can keep up the good betting. It's starting to make up for the vp money I lost earlier in the year.

I don't see that my reference to NAMBLA was in reference to anyone but me. I said I got off on sticking pins into my voodoo doll whenever Da Bears had the ball, which was good enough for me since I wasn't "getting off" as a NAMBLA member. I can however, see how MKL would think that's in reference to him....BY ALL MEANS I can now see that, and I therefore apologize for rattling him in such a way.

BTW, I know you don't have time to read everything, but did you see where he called me a "shit" yesterday? It was so offensive I couldn't sleep a wink last night.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 28th, 2010 at 6:34:10 PM permalink
Returning to the thread, congrats JL. You are now 2 for 2, putting your choice out there for all of us to see. And congrats to the Wiz, for his pick as well.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
November 28th, 2010 at 7:20:19 PM permalink
So is the glass now half-full or half-empty?
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
November 28th, 2010 at 7:21:04 PM permalink
better by half
Happiness is underrated
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 28th, 2010 at 7:42:02 PM permalink
Just got back from a bit of travel, and checked the scores; got a "hats off" for you, Jerry, nice bet.
A falling knife has no handle.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
November 28th, 2010 at 8:23:17 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Returning to the thread, congrats JL. You are now 2 for 2, putting your choice out there for all of us to see. And congrats to the Wiz, for his pick as well.

Thank you! And I'm eyeing TWO games that I most likely will bet on in next week's games. Of course, I will post them so mkl can cheer me on.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 28th, 2010 at 9:34:10 PM permalink
I've decided to suspend both JL and mkl for 5 days.

JL for the NAMBLA comment. I don't buy that it wasn't directed at mkl. That organization I find repugnant beyond all words. Even insinuating a fellow member has anything to do with it is cause for suspension. I still want the record to show that I did win $750 based on Jerry's pick today, and express my thanks for that. However, that can't buy him forgiveness in this case.

Mkl for the rant above. Maybe he won't return after the five days anyway, so the term won't make any difference. He is probably happy to go out in a blaze of glory.
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 28th, 2010 at 10:13:42 PM permalink

JL is 2 for 3. He made another "Lock" post in the NFL week 4 predictions. He got that one wrong.

Which I fully admit I've not kept up with. I always seem to lose track on the predictions after I visit Vegas and have my bets for the year...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 30th, 2010 at 1:36:15 PM permalink
I'll have to look up the week 4 "lock." Jerry PMed me and said he will have two picks for this weekend, which he will post once his suspension is lifted on Friday.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
November 30th, 2010 at 1:39:06 PM permalink
Yeah Wiz, SF getting.drilled by NO or some such. Was waaaay wrong.

Edit: Whoops, that game was MKL predicting a Saints win in week 2. Have to keep looking for the JL game. Sorry if I misled, I confuse those two sometimes...
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
SONBP2
SONBP2
  • Threads: 88
November 30th, 2010 at 2:10:24 PM permalink

I've decided to suspend both JL and mkl for 5 days.

JL for the NAMBLA comment. I don't buy that it wasn't directed at mkl. That organization I find repugnant beyond all words. Even insinuating a fellow member has anything to do with it is cause for suspension. I still want the record to show that I did win $750 based on Jerry's pick today, and express my thanks for that. However, that can't buy him forgiveness in this case.

Mkl for the rant above. Maybe he won't return after the five days anyway, so the term won't make any difference. He is probably happy to go out in a blaze of glory.

How are we suppose to get his next pick if you kick him off?
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 30th, 2010 at 2:17:40 PM permalink
Quote: SONBP2

How are we suppose to get his next pick if you kick him off?

Flip a coin. Seriously, I don't know why we are giving a guy whose gone exactly 2 from 3 such a big reputation.

I've no problem him sharing them, or telling us his big bets, but really he's made two good plays. And that's it. I can do that with a coin 25% of the time :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 1st, 2010 at 2:22:45 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

JL is 2 for 3. He made another "Lock" post in the NFL week 4 predictions. He got that one wrong.

I looked up the week 4 JL pick.

Quote: JerryLogan

I only bet on one a week for entertainment and this one's a sure thing: Atlanta at -7. Got a dime on it. SF's dazed & confused, & the Falcons just went into NO and beat the best. -- NFL Week 4 predictions

Final score: SF 14, Atl 16
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 2nd, 2010 at 10:13:29 AM permalink
Posts regarding the fight that erupted between mkl and JL have been split off to The NAMBLA/River of Diarrhea Flame War. The new thread is in the Free Speech Zone, so I encourage both parties to let the bile fly there, but try to act as gentlemen in the rest of the forum.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 2nd, 2010 at 10:18:27 AM permalink

The NAMBLA/River of Diarrhea Flame War.

This is my single favorite comment..... Thanks, Wiz
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 2nd, 2010 at 10:24:26 AM permalink

This is my single favorite comment..... Thanks, Wiz

You're welcome. The D word is one, that try as I might, can never remember how to spell it.
  • Jump to: