charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 28
February 1st, 2019 at 8:08:07 AM permalink
Again thanks for organising some fun. One idea is to use total shirt numbers of scorers or total yards as a tie breaker. btw not knowing American Football rules but soccer ones, does overtime count towards the over/under points and other similar bets?
RisingDough
RisingDough
  • Threads: 4
Thanks for this post from:
charliepatrick
February 1st, 2019 at 10:36:09 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

Again thanks for organising some fun. One idea is to use total shirt numbers of scorers or total yards as a tie breaker. btw not knowing American Football rules but soccer ones, does overtime count towards the over/under points and other similar bets?

Unless specifically stated otherwise OT counts for betting purposes.
What is life if not a gamble?
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
Thanks for this post from:
charliepatrick
February 1st, 2019 at 10:39:20 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

Yes. NFL overtime points scored count towards the total.
eta: What RD said. :)
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 135
February 1st, 2019 at 11:27:02 AM permalink
If there is no score in the first OT, they evidently continue into a second OT period. Would this be double overtime or is it simply OT no matter how long it takes? I don't believe any NFL OT game has ever played through the entire first OT period.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
February 1st, 2019 at 11:49:22 AM permalink
Thanks for the answers about OT (fwiw in Soccer, extra time does not usually count for betting, except outright winner bets.)
Quote: billryan

If there is no score in the first OT, they evidently continue into a second OT period. Would this be double overtime or is it simply OT no matter how long it takes? I don't believe any NFL OT game has ever played through the entire first OT period.

I've discovered the rules for playoffs are at https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/ and yes they continue.

There have been ties, and I'm guessing now that overtime is only 10 minutes there should be more. You can see the most recent tie in the NFC North. Amazingly there have been some ties where both teams scored in overtime.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201610230crd.htm
billryan
billryan
February 1st, 2019 at 12:05:07 PM permalink
It's sudden death( or sudden victory). My question is if someone score 21 minutes into overtime, is it considered double overtime? In the playoffs, OT is 15 minutes, as opposed to ten minutes in regular seasons. In college or HS, its not unusual for both teams to score several times in OT as they start around the other teams 20-25 yard line.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
February 1st, 2019 at 12:34:11 PM permalink

It's sudden death...

They changed the rules so, unless the first team scores a touchdown, each team has one opportunity to score. Once each side has had a chance (and this may have been a recovered fumble if both sides touched the ball) then it becoms sudden death.
Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_rules#Overtime
FinsRule
FinsRule 
  • Threads: 117
February 1st, 2019 at 1:00:12 PM permalink

It's sudden death( or sudden victory). My question is if someone score 21 minutes into overtime, is it considered double overtime? In the playoffs, OT is 15 minutes, as opposed to ten minutes in regular seasons. In college or HS, its not unusual for both teams to score several times in OT as they start around the other teams 20-25 yard line.

I donít believe it would be considered double overtime. Because at the end of the 15 minutes, the team with the ball would keep the ball.

Now after the 2nd ot, there might be a halftime. That I donít know and hope that it will never happen.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 7
February 1st, 2019 at 1:04:40 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I donít believe it would be considered double overtime. Because at the end of the 15 minutes, the team with the ball would keep the ball.

Now after the 2nd ot, there might be a halftime. That I donít know and hope that it will never happen.

Thereís not a halftime break, just 2 min, but the team that kicked at the start of OT, receives at the start of 3OT. If still tied after 4OT, thereís a new coin flip to start 5OT.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
February 1st, 2019 at 1:29:25 PM permalink
So if it goes to a fifth overtime period, would it read Rams 43, Pats 40 in OT or in 5OT?

• Jump to: