9 members have voted

tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
Thanks for this post from:
Ayecarumba
January 8th, 2019 at 2:40:14 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

They ought to give more points for hitting the upright. How many kickers could do it from 40 yards out, even if they tried? Doesn't Australian Rules Football, or some other similar field sport have two sets of uprights, with more points awarded for propelling the ball through the narrower gap?

Yes, but each set of posts is equal size. A ball kicked without deflection between the inner posts that are 6.4 meters (21 feet) apart by an offensive player is worth 6 points. A ball kicked though either set of outer posts ("behind posts") that are each 6.4 meters apart from the inner posts is worth 1 point each (aka a "behind"). If the ball crosses either set of posts in any other manner than the offense kicking it directly into the goal is worth only 1 point. So in stressful situations, the defense will just run the ball into their own goal and give up 1 point.

Also, if the ball hits the goalpost, it's automatically 1 point. If it hits the behind post, it's out of bounds. So unlike the NFL, hitting a post in Aussie Rules is automatically considered a "miss".

I love Aussie rules, fwiw. Very free flowing game with significant contact.
tringlomane
tringlomane
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracleRS
January 8th, 2019 at 2:43:41 PM permalink
I also saw this on facebook and thought it was funny.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1156
January 8th, 2019 at 2:57:17 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

My favorite part is the Bear mascot's reaction.

#MeToo!
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
January 8th, 2019 at 3:35:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Imagine if it had been deflected at the line, bounced off the upright, then hit the crossbar and bounced into the endzone. It would have been the birth of a legend.

Isn't that exactly what happened?
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 93
January 8th, 2019 at 4:04:08 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

Sort of. If it had been deflected slightly differently off the upright, the 2nd doink could have bounced it to the far side of the horizontal bar, and it would have counted for 3. The problem was it bounced to land in front of the horizontal, not over it.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
michael99000
michael99000 
  • Threads: 9
January 8th, 2019 at 5:00:14 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Imagine if it had been deflected at the line, bounced off the upright, then hit the crossbar and bounced into the endzone. .

Thatís exactly what did happen
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 7
January 9th, 2019 at 9:07:01 AM permalink
Tom Dempsey was born without toes on his right foot. He wore a special shoe with an iron plate in front.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+dempsey+kicking+shoe&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS506US506&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizl5aNluHfAhVqmuAKHW7oDxcQsAR6BAgCEAE
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 17
January 9th, 2019 at 9:59:02 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The problem was it bounced to land in front of the horizontal, not over it.

was not a problem for the Eagles and their fans.
(Bears were a 6.5 favorite and still would not have covered)
this video I think has the best views of the end of the game

the called off try was still between the left post and center
the tipped try (that missed) still started to the left post

this kicker is known for this (says he adjusts for the wind IIRC)

when I was a struggling FG kicker in high school (right footed and no ice in veins)
wide right was because I tried to kick the ball real hard and long
instead of just kicking the ball with my complete motion that was from practice.
wide left was from trying to aim the kick
I never compensated for the wind. just down the center.

easy for those to see and say this stuff
for Da Bears
"wait 'til next year"
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 9th, 2019 at 12:09:10 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

Yes. I think he meant "bounced over the crossbar".

Quote: FatGeezus

Tom Dempsey was born without toes on his right foot. He wore a special shoe with an iron plate in front.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+dempsey+kicking+shoe&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS506US506&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizl5aNluHfAhVqmuAKHW7oDxcQsAR6BAgCEAE

I knew Dempsey didn't have a full foot, but I didn't know he had an iron plate at the end of his shoe. I wonder if that was enough to give him a distance advantage over other kickers in his era.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 135
January 9th, 2019 at 12:18:04 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Yes. I think he meant "bounced over the crossbar".

I knew Dempsey didn't have a full foot, but I didn't know he had an iron plate at the end of his shoe. I wonder if that was enough to give him a distance advantage over other kickers in his era.

Dempsey wasn't known for other long field goals. In fact, he didn't even have as much as a 50 yarder the last several years of his career. During his time in the NFL, most kickers switched to the soccer style that is now commonplace. He was one of the last straight on kickers. While I don't think it really helped him, the NFL did ban that type of shoe after he retired.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way

• Jump to: