lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:42:47 AM permalink
4 years and 154 million and the glitz and glamour of L.A. snagged him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/sports/lebron-james-lakers.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
Please don't feed the trolls
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
July 2nd, 2018 at 5:00:34 AM permalink
Well, Lakers are are a really successful Basketball Team, so it was inevitable that they would want/sign up Lebron James who has been hailed as This Generation's Michael Jordan or even better. IMHO, it would have been great if he went to an underrated Underdog Team and make them successful for at least a Season.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 2nd, 2018 at 8:19:01 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Well, Lakers are are a really successful Basketball Team, so it was inevitable that they would want/sign up Lebron James who has been hailed as This Generation's Michael Jordan or even better. IMHO, it would have been great if he went to an underrated Underdog Team and make them successful for at least a Season.

He did. The Lakers are terrible and have been for years. That's why they were willing to shell out that much. LeBron raises the game of those around him.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 2nd, 2018 at 8:23:49 AM permalink
The foundation for a new dynasty?

The dominance of Golden State has gotten old.
"What, me worry?"
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
July 2nd, 2018 at 8:28:21 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

He did. The Lakers are terrible and have been for years. That's why they were willing to shell out that much. LeBron raises the game of those around him.

But the bottom line is, that the Lakers are one of the signature franchises of the NBA. The biggest problem with the NBA is that only like 9 or 10 teams have won the NBA title in the past 35 years or so. When 70 percent of the league realizes before the season starts they have no prayer of winning the damn thing, it does not make for good long term viability. Part of it has to do with how the league is structured, but also part of it has to do with the nature of the sport in that a star player in basketball can "tilt the field" in a way that a start player in the NFL, MLB or NHL is unable to do due to other factors.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:40:31 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

But the bottom line is, that the Lakers are one of the signature franchises of the NBA. The biggest problem with the NBA is that only like 9 or 10 teams have won the NBA title in the past 35 years or so. When 70 percent of the league realizes before the season starts they have no prayer of winning the damn thing, it does not make for good long term viability. Part of it has to do with how the league is structured, but also part of it has to do with the nature of the sport in that a star player in basketball can "tilt the field" in a way that a start player in the NFL, MLB or NHL is unable to do due to other factors.

I agree with Gabes22 that there isn't the same parity in the NBA as there is in the NHL. However, I think the Lakers really overpaid if wins rather than luxury box sales are what they are hoping for. LeBron is a few steps on the downslope of the prime of his career, injuries are popping up, and even he, with solid help from Kevin Love couldn't carry the Cavs past the three headed Golden State juggernaut.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:51:28 AM permalink
It's amazing how many Greats have played for the Lakers. Six of the top eight scorers, as an example.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:07:39 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I agree with Gabes22 that there isn't the same parity in the NBA as there is in the NHL. However, I think the Lakers really overpaid if wins rather than luxury box sales are what they are hoping for. LeBron is a few steps on the downslope of the prime of his career, injuries are popping up, and even he, with solid help from Kevin Love couldn't carry the Cavs past the three headed Golden State juggernaut.

Last year was arguably the best of his career. He missed ZERO games, and led a bunch of misfits to the finals. If you watched the early playoff series he won them virtually singlehandedly. The Cavs without him will go from a Finals team to fighting for the worst record in the league. Overpaid for him? He is getting a SMALLER contract than Chris Paul. By NBA standards he will be underpaid. If there was true free agency without a salary cap he exceeds 60 million per year.

Did you say "solid help from Kevin Love?' You didn't watch too many games I guess.....

I don't know how many wins the Lakers had last year, but blind I'd bet adding the King is worth at least a dozen more wins.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:17:31 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's amazing how many Greats have played for the Lakers. Six of the top eight scorers, as an example.

Most of that credit goes to the ownership (and the three point shot). Dr. Jerry Buss was willing to spend for quality players and coaches, and let them do what they were paid for. Unfortunately, after his passing, his son really loused it up. I suppose it is a natural swing of the pendulum.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:29:37 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Last year was arguably the best of his career. He missed ZERO games, and led a bunch of misfits to the finals. If you watched the early playoff series he won them virtually singlehandedly. The Cavs without him will go from a Finals team to fighting for the worst record in the league. Overpaid for him? He is getting a SMALLER contract than Chris Paul. By NBA standards he will be underpaid. If there was true free agency without a salary cap he exceeds 60 million per year.

Did you say "solid help from Kevin Love?' You didn't watch too many games I guess.....

I don't know how many wins the Lakers had last year, but blind I'd bet adding the King is worth at least a dozen more wins.

They were 35-47 last year. Going 47-35 would draw them even with... The Timberwolves? At least they would have made the playoffs.
billryan
billryan
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:50:34 AM permalink
I'm not sure how long Buss owned them, but he couldn't have been around for George Milan, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt and Jabbar, was he?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
Thanked by
RogerKint
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:50:34 AM permalink
As a lifelong Lakers fan (even though I'm from NY), I am happy my team will once again be relevant (so long as LaVar Ball is kept away from the team)
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
aceofspades
July 2nd, 2018 at 12:05:44 PM permalink
I was a huge fan of the original Big Three( Baylor, West and Wilt) but never liked Jabbar. I rooted for them vs the Celtics in the 80s but not since then.
As a lifelong Nets fan, I'm in a bball wilderness just now.
RenoGambler
RenoGambler
  • Threads: 3
July 2nd, 2018 at 12:56:16 PM permalink

I'm not sure how long Buss owned them, but he couldn't have been around for George Milan, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt and Jabbar, was he?

Jerry Buss bought the Lakers in 1979.
Variance giveth and variance taketh away.
billryan
billryan
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:05:21 PM permalink
Kent Cooke owned the team when Wilt played, and brought in Jabbar.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:36:58 PM permalink
to me, the most exciting Laker team has to be the "showtime" team with Magic, Jabbar, Worthy, Michael Cooper, Rambis, and Byron Scott.
even Cooper who was basically all defense and very little offense got into the excitement with the Coop-A-Loop. they were really something to watch.
nobody could touch that team IMO
compared to them, Kobe and Shaq were kind of boring as were Wilt, and West.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 2nd, 2018 at 2:02:12 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

to me, the most exciting Laker team has to be the "showtime" team with Magic, Jabbar, Worthy, Michael Cooper, Rambis, and Byron Scott.
even Cooper who was basically all defense and very little offense got into the excitement with the Coop-A-Loop. they were really something to watch.
nobody could touch that team IMO
compared to them, Kobe and Shaq were kind of boring as were Wilt, and West.

Wasn't AC Green on that team too, for at least part of the time? Agree. Enjoyed Rambis aka Clark Kent very much.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 2nd, 2018 at 2:51:35 PM permalink
Trying to coach a team with Lebron and Rondo sounds like a nightmare scenario for Luke Walton. Sure they will win a bunch of games, but nobody will be listening to the coach.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
July 2nd, 2018 at 3:06:48 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Trying to coach a team with Lebron and Rondo sounds like a nightmare scenario for Luke Walton. Sure they will win a bunch of games, but nobody will be listening to the coach.

You say that as if it's unusual.
ECoaster
ECoaster
  • Threads: 5
July 2nd, 2018 at 5:25:37 PM permalink
Unless they add another star, they may not even make the Western Conf finals...

This was mostly a deal so that LBJ could be close to his business ventures and be near his son playing at a top basketball prep school.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
July 2nd, 2018 at 9:00:27 PM permalink
LeBrons true value is $70 million plus per year.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/lebron-james-worth-100-million-year/story?id=40249184

With cousins turning the warriors into an Olympic team the Lakers must wait a year rather than dumping young talent for Leonard.

Sign Leonard and maybe more next season. Keep ball Ingram, kazuma etc. Let them all improve and gel for another year.

Thompson an cousins will both be unrestricted. Hopefully you poach one or at least they leave GS.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 3rd, 2018 at 2:21:40 AM permalink
with Cousins the Warriors now have 3 true superstars

it's almost like the 1960s New York Yankees

how do they manage to stay under the salary cap?

against some teams it's almost going to be like a top level college team playing against a high school team

incredible. and if the salary cap is intended to level out the competition it obviously isn't working.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 3, 2018
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
July 3rd, 2018 at 6:16:35 AM permalink
The NBA doesn't have a hard cap like the NFL does. In the NFL, if you are above the cap by a specific date, the league will just start voiding contracts until a time where the team gets below the cap. In the NBA, there is a soft cap, and above that you have to pay a luxury tax. Due to the the low level of people it takes to fill out a roster in the NBA, the players in that league have the highest salary per player of any American professional sport
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
July 3rd, 2018 at 10:12:48 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

with Cousins the Warriors now have 3 true superstars

it's almost like the 1960s New York Yankees

how do they manage to stay under the salary cap?

against some teams it's almost going to be like a top level college team playing against a high school team

incredible. and if the salary cap is intended to level out the competition it obviously isn't working.

Only 3 superstars? More like 5 (or 6 if you include coach Kerr).

Durant
Curry
Green
Thompson
Cousins

There could easily be 5 HOFamers on Golden State right now.
billryan
billryan
July 3rd, 2018 at 10:22:09 AM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Durant
Curry
Green
Thompson
Cousins

1973 Knicks had more.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
  • Threads: 26
July 3rd, 2018 at 12:08:02 PM permalink

Durant
Curry
Green
Thompson
Cousins

I see two HOF’ers, Green and Thompson aren’t all timers and Cousins sure as hell isn’t.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
billryan
billryan
July 3rd, 2018 at 1:03:08 PM permalink
Being part of a dynasty enhances ones Hall chances tremendously. Ask Bill Bradley.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 3rd, 2018 at 1:24:26 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

I see two HOF’ers, Green and Thompson aren’t all timers and Cousins sure as hell isn’t.

Green and Thompson aren't HOF'ers YET. I think a few more championships and they both are. Cousins will need at least 5 more solid years without major injury to be even considered as such. I think he is a longshot.

Someone mentioned how did GSW sign Cousins? A 'mid level exception' contract for less than $6 million. That's basically 'free' by NBA standards.

I hate 'fake' salary caps. If you really were held to a cap a GM would need to be skilled. The fact that you can accumulate Curry, Durant, Thompson, Green, Iguodala, Cousins.... on one team shows how flimsy the cap is. The Knicks have squeezed Larry, Curly, and Moe under their cap....
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 3rd, 2018 at 3:10:09 PM permalink

Being part of a dynasty enhances ones Hall chances tremendously. Ask Bill Bradley.

maybe Bradley is in there partly because of having a great college career

I strongly believe Austin Carr who I was lucky to have been able to see play several times in high school should be in the HOF because of his fabulous college career
He averaged 34.5 points per game for a strong Notre Dame team, the 5th highest in college basketball history.
He holds the NCAA record by scoring 61 points in a tournament game
His record scoring average of 50 points per game in seven NCAA playoff games may never be broken.

My favorite Austin Carr story is when Notre Dame played Kentucky in Kentucky with their legendary coach Adolph Rupp who would not recruit or have black players on his teams.
Carr absolutely destroyed Kentucky with 52 points as Notre Dame beat them.

Early in his NBA career with Cleveland he averaged 20 + p.p.g. but he fell off due to injuries.

What an amazing high school basketball player he was. I never saw him make a mistake.

Well, I've digressed quite a bit. Whatever. Maybe somebody enjoyed my story.
billryan
billryan
July 3rd, 2018 at 3:18:56 PM permalink
Loved Austin in the day. Hell of a college player and as responsible as anyone for ending Bill Walton and Companies ridiculous eighty game winning streak.
He and Lenny Wilkens were a heck of a backcourt.
It's a shame he spent his career in Cleveland.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
July 3rd, 2018 at 3:49:40 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Last year was arguably the best of his career. He missed ZERO games, and led a bunch of misfits to the finals. If you watched the early playoff series he won them virtually singlehandedly. The Cavs without him will go from a Finals team to fighting for the worst record in the league. s.

Only if you completely ignore the entire regular season does that argument hold water. He more or less quit on his team for a month last year to pressure trades.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 3rd, 2018 at 3:53:49 PM permalink
A healthy cousins (might never see him the same) is a significantly more skilled, talented, and superior at almost everything offensively vs draymond. A better shooter, more skilled passer, more polished on block. Ball handling comparable, dray is a better cutter and the better defense. I’m betting boogie is never quite the same athlete again now so probably not anymore.
Keeneone
Keeneone
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:05:29 PM permalink
Durant - Best pure scorer of his era. MVP and 2 Championships. Easy HOFer.
Curry - 3 Championships + MVP's + 3 point shooting records. Easy HOFer.
Green - Best defender of his era + 3 Championships. HOF very likely. (This guy is very inderrated)
Thompson - 3 Championships + 40% career 3 point shooter. HOF possibilities. (He would be the leading scorer on many NBA teams, but it is not his role with GS).
Cousins - I was not really including him. It will take much more, but he was playing his best ball before injury last year.
Coach Kerr - Player/coach/management/announcing. He has been tremendous for the NBA. Easy HOFer.

All of these guys could have many more years in the league and they have already accomplished a lot.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:14:44 PM permalink
Dray has 1 defensive player of the year award. 1. In the whole era.

I really think he is incredibly overrated. I know he’s better but I watched him a ton in college. I’d like to see how he is on another team I guess, offensively he benefits tremendously from getting no attention and being guarded, usually, by the 4th-5th best defender on the floor for the other team.
Keeneone
Keeneone
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:27:05 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Dray has 1 defensive player of the year award. 1. In the whole era.

I really think he is incredibly overrated. I know he’s better but I watched him a ton in college. I’d like to see how he is on another team I guess, offensively he benefits tremendously from getting no attention and being guarded, usually, by the 4th-5th best defender on the floor for the other team.

No way GS wins 3 titles without Green. His defense (of all 5 positions) was key to the current run of GS. He was runner up 2 times for Defensive POA (to Kawhi L.). I will agree his offense is bolstered by the attention his teammates get.
----------

James + Stephenson + Rondo + McGee is quite a transformation for the Lakers. How quickly will this team come together?
And what about Ball? How does he fit in with this group/team?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:33:27 PM permalink
I'm not at all sold on Klay Thompson being HOF.

Maybe they'll give it to him if he's on 7 championship teams.

Yeah, he is an excellent shooter and benefits tremendously because most of the defensive attention is concentrated on Curry and Durant.

He's 6'7" and he averaged a whopping 3.8 rebounds per game last year. And 2.5 assists per game. whopteedoo

he's one dimensional

Hall of Fame? naaaaaaah
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:41:12 PM permalink

No way GS wins 3 titles without Green. His defense (of all 5 positions) was key to the current run of GS. He was runner up 2 times for Defensive POA (to Kawhi L.). I will agree his offense is bolstered by the attention his teammates get.
----------

James + Stephenson + Rondo + McGee is quite a transformation for the Lakers. How quickly will this team come together?
And what about Ball? How does he fit in with this group/team?

I don’t disagree draymond key to the championships. Just think he’s a very good player nothing special. Agree to disagree.

I thought it was interesting lakers let randle go seeing what he got, only signed for same annual salary rondo got and busted out last year after moving to center. Not a big fan of lakers moves so far but no such thing as a Terrible one year deal I guess. Idk how lonzo fits, ball probably in his hands less and dude needs to learn how to shoot or he might be on the bench in the playoffs.
  • Jump to: