64 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 13th, 2023 at 7:12:04 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: mcallister3200

He’s projected to be a second round pick. Probably would have been a lottery pick over a decade ago.

His points per minute will be great, but he is going to get mercilessly hunted in the pick and roll almost every single possession he’s on the floor.
link to original post

who are the top 5 college players right now________?___________thanks

link to original post

Forgive me for deflecting here. There’s not a high degree of correlation between best college basketball player and who will be best pro now, probably a combination of age/experience and just being almost completely different games. It’s the spacing difference, unlike college at least 4 of 5 guys on the floor at all times can shoot, making it an almost requirement for all players on defense to be able to move their feet well enough to survive for a few seconds of getting switched onto a guard.

None of the top 3 picks in next years draft are playing in college and the rest of the projected lottery are all freshman.

For Eddy I’m going to make a comparison to Luka Garza, who two seasons ago was the consensus National Player of the year, another dominant upper classmen big man who can’t move his feet. Being the best college basketball player but an upper class big man got him the reward of being drafted 52nd and a non guaranteed contract. He’s currently averaging 5.1 points in only 6.7 minutes per game in his second season. The scoring per minute is star level but he’s a very situational reserve because it’s a very difficult task for the coach to find spots where they can put him on the floor without the opposing team running a layup cone drill around him on the other end.

For what it’s worth these limitations are the same reason all time scoring great Carmelo Anthony can’t get a team to sign him despite still averaging 15 points or so a game the last couple years.
link to original post

you might like this article - comparing the back in the day NBA to today's NBA - of course today's players have much greater skills -

but here's what Hall of Famer Walt Frazier has to say:

"only a few teams buckle down on defense. They don't double team when someone goes off. When someone came in and dropped 40 on me, it was always 'Clyde got destroyed.' Now Doncic scores 60 and no one even says who's guarding him"

I believe there's some truth to what he's saying - to me it looks like just way too many uncontested threes - of course it's going to happen naturally sometimes - but that many times__________?______________no way - unless it's because of lackluster defense

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/12/sports/basketball/nba-wilt-chamberlain.html

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 13, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 14th, 2023 at 12:01:44 AM permalink

will be all over the BUCS +2.5 against the boys Monday night

bet against Brady at home in the playoffs________?________homey wouldn't even try to play that tune

the boys were awful last Sunday getting crushed by the awful Commanders

I'm choosing to ignore the fact that the Bucs were awful in their last game too - that game had no impact on the playoff seeding - Brady and several others were pulled before halftime

interesting factoid - to me anyway

from '85 thru '97 NFC teams won the Super Bowl 13 years in a row______________'84 thru '96 seasons

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 14, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 14th, 2023 at 2:30:23 PM permalink

on 12/22 the U of MD - a school of 31K students that in the past has been a hoops powerhouse - crushed tiny Saint Peter's - a college of only 2K students
this kinna thing is not at all uncommon
I don't get it - I can see why MD would want a practice game - but why would Saint Peter's allow its kids to be humiliated like that
maybe they're hoping for something crazy to happen and they gain respect

but still - that is just not right

If I was the President of Saint Peter's I would fire the AD for scheduling that game

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 14th, 2023 at 2:42:04 PM permalink

on 12/22 the U of MD - a school of 31K students that in the past has been a hoops powerhouse - crushed tiny Saint Peter's - a college of only 2K students
I don't get it - I can see why MD would want a practice game - but why would Saint Peter's allow its kids to be humiliated like that

If I was the President of Saint Peter's I would fire the AD for scheduling that game

link to original post

Because Maryland pays St. Peters to play them and little schools need all the money they can get for athletics.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 14th, 2023 at 3:32:56 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Because Maryland pays St. Peters to play them and little schools need all the money they can get for athletics.
link to original post

Exactly. Two or three games like that allows the program to travel for tournaments and bring in recruits for visits. These games also pay for the Woman's Field Hockey team and a dozen other non-revenue sports.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 14th, 2023 at 4:04:42 PM permalink

it happened to me - I played for a small college - 2,300 students - we played Pitt - 35,000 students - they had Billy Knight - All American & a NBA & ABA All Star - and there were a couple of others that seemed like they weren't all that far behind him

it was really bad - a horrible experience

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 14, 2023
billryan
billryan
January 14th, 2023 at 4:48:47 PM permalink

it happened to me - I played for a small college - 2,300 students - we played Pitt - 35,000 students - they had Billy Knight - All American & a NBA & ABA All Star - and there were a couple of others that seemed like they weren't all that far behind him

it was really bad - a horrible experience

link to original post

Most times, these games are blowouts but every so often David does slay Goliath. A few years back, a team walked into Duke and not only beat them but came away with a $100,000 check.
When I was really into college BBall, Chaminade took down big-time programs two years in a row.
DePaul was looking for a chump team for a Madison Square Garden game and booked Iona two years in advance. Jimmy Valvano took the job, brought in Jeff Ruland and ran up a great record against a bunch of little schools. They met at the Garden and Iona ran away from them. It brought Jimmy V to national attention.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 14th, 2023 at 5:09:19 PM permalink

link to original post

Didn’t St Peters go farther in the NCAA tourney last year than lowly Maryland?
DRich
DRich
January 14th, 2023 at 5:19:33 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

When I was really into college BBall, Chaminade took down big-time programs two years in a row.

If I am not mistaken that was the Ralph Sampson Virginia team.
billryan
billryan
January 14th, 2023 at 6:06:29 PM permalink
At least one of them was.
DRich
DRich
January 14th, 2023 at 6:51:20 PM permalink

link to original post

I am pretty sure it was the first one as I had never heard of Chaminade at that point. When the second one happened I was familiar with them and their ting gymnasium.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 14th, 2023 at 7:16:30 PM permalink

link to original post

I am pretty sure it was the first one as I had never heard of Chaminade at that point. When the second one happened I was familiar with them and their ting gymnasium.
link to original post

Chaminade upset the 1982 Virginia Cavaliers who were #1 at the time. In 1983 and 1984, Chaminade upset Louisville in basketball.

Chaminade became so famous because of this upset that they cancelled a decision to change their name to the University of Honolulu.

The Maui Invitational Tournament is said to have been created as a result of this upset. Chaminade plays in this tournament every year since 1984 and has won a grand total of 8 games.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
January 15th, 2023 at 9:31:07 AM permalink
Somebody made a million-dollar bet on the Chargers when they were up 27-0. He could have won $12,0000
I hope he wasn't betting the rent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 15th, 2023 at 2:44:44 PM permalink

reports are out there that Espn and their correspondent Holly Rowe are filing charges against John Calipari for inappropriately touching her during a halftime interview at the Tennessee game

you can see the interview on the twitter link - and he does look really creepy - what a fool - is he out of his mind_____?

another story reported that a warrant for his arrest has been issued by the Knoxville PD

https://twitter.com/rgw_news/status/1614359501938761728

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 15th, 2023 at 3:01:04 PM permalink

reports are out there that Espn and their correspondent Holly Rowe are filing charges against John Calipari for inappropriately touching her during a halftime interview at the Tennessee game

you can see the interview on the twitter link - and he does look really creepy - what a fool - is he out of his mind_____?

another story reported that a warrant for his arrest has been issued by the Knoxville PD

https://twitter.com/rgw_news/status/1614359501938761728

link to original post

He was stupid. But that is in NO WAY criminal. Not everything that is wrong requires police intervention.
He was trying to make a point about how physical the game was and he got ‘physical’ as well.
billryan
billryan
January 15th, 2023 at 3:01:24 PM permalink
I despise Calipari but I don't see anything illegal there. Creepy, yes. Inappropriate? I don't see it.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2023 at 3:12:58 PM permalink
That's a big nothing. Unless there was more that is not going anywhere.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 15th, 2023 at 4:00:30 PM permalink

this is 2023 - not 1981
you don't put your hands on a woman like that unless you are close friends and have an understanding - and especially not with nationwide cameras filming
maybe not criminal
but he is indeed an old fool

the important thing is - she is making a formal complaint - if the early reports are accurate - which means she didn't like it at all

and she has every right to say to the press and anywhere else she wants to say it that that was inappropriate

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 16th, 2023 at 1:37:10 AM permalink

it looks like the part about the filing of charges and an arrest warrant may have been a twitter style lie
from this guy Richard West who says he is a correspondent from RGW news
there is no other news about this that I could find on the major media
RGW news may not exist other than in this guy's head

surprise, surprise, surprise - I actually fell for believing something on twitter

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 16th, 2023 at 2:07:27 AM permalink

Kirk Cousins is taking lots of heat for his decision on the final play of the game - throwing short of the first down marker on 4th down

the guy in the YT vid breaks it down pretty nicely - of course he's an armchair QB benefitting from hindsight - but still - I like his take on this - blurry picture unfortunately

billryan
billryan
January 16th, 2023 at 2:43:19 AM permalink
Going into the game, I figured there was a 50-50 chance the Giants QB made a bad play, but almost a 100% chance Cousins would make one. When they started their final drive, my friends laughingly reminded me of that confidence. It took until the last play, but he proved himself once again.
DRich
DRich
January 16th, 2023 at 6:13:36 AM permalink

Going into the game, I figured there was a 50-50 chance the Giants QB made a bad play, but almost a 100% chance Cousins would make one. When they started their final drive, my friends laughingly reminded me of that confidence. It took until the last play, but he proved himself once again.
link to original post

I have no idea why, but I find myself rooting for Kirk Cousins.
billryan
billryan
January 16th, 2023 at 6:46:52 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Ate you the type that pets stray dogs?
DRich
DRich
January 16th, 2023 at 7:07:27 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Ate you the type that pets stray dogs?
link to original post

Yes
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 16th, 2023 at 7:44:40 AM permalink

Somebody made a million-dollar bet on the Chargers when they were up 27-0. He could have won $12,0000
I hope he wasn't betting the rent.
link to original post

he took a bet at -12500 ... I don't think I've seen more than -10,000 for odds, which always seems like "we really aren't taking bets on this anymore but for you crazy people here ya go" .... never mind -12,500

https://nypost.com/2023/01/15/gambler-loses-massive-1-4-million-bet-on-chargers-jaguars-game/
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 16th, 2023 at 7:59:23 AM permalink

gee, whenever I have a bad day I'm going to think about this guy

and then I won't feel so bad

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 20th, 2023 at 2:04:03 AM permalink

7'4" Victor Wembanyama - 19 years old and playing pro ball in France is projected by many to be the NBA's no. 1 pick in the 2023 draft

this dude can move - extremely quick for someone that size -

way too skinny - and if he doesn't bulk up I think he will get bullied in the paint - needs to hit the weight room imo - but tremendously impressive

https://theathletic.com/4108558/2023/01/19/victor-wembanyama-pistons-future/

DRich
DRich
January 20th, 2023 at 5:12:39 AM permalink

7'4" Victor Wembanyama - 19 years old and playing pro ball in France is projected by many to be the NBA's no. 1 pick in the 2023 draft

this dude can move - extremely quick for someone that size -

way too skinny - and if he doesn't bulk up I think he will get bullied in the paint - needs to hit the weight room imo - but tremendously impressive

https://theathletic.com/4108558/2023/01/19/victor-wembanyama-pistons-future/

link to original post

He will definitely need to add some weight and muscle, most 19 year olds do. The fact that he plays a lot outside means he will not be banging with the big guys too often. Poor guy will probably end up in Detroit.
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2023 at 8:08:22 AM permalink
Is this typical?
A breakdown of bets on today's Giant game shows just 16% of the money line bets are on the Giants,but 40% of the total money is on them.
It seems the people betting on the Giants are betting more than twice as much on the team as Eagle fans are.
Is this unusual?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 21st, 2023 at 8:14:32 AM permalink

Is this typical?
A breakdown of bets on today's Giant game shows just 16% of the money line bets are on the Giants,but 40% of the total money is on them.
It seems the people betting on the Giants are betting more than twice as much on the team as Eagle fans are.
Is this unusual?
link to original post

Tracking like that is notoriously inaccurate. I’m looking at something now claiming that Giants ML is 50% of the tickets and 61% of the $.

I don’t know what’s normal for a touchdown dog. Interesting question.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2023 at 8:28:50 AM permalink
I guess a few big bets would skew the results.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 21st, 2023 at 8:35:59 AM permalink

Is this typical?
Is this unusual?
link to original post

where can you see a tracking of $$$ coming in on all the books
I've never seen such a thing

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
unJon
January 21st, 2023 at 8:40:30 AM permalink
My understanding is that “market making” books that will more or less take anyone’s action, and where that info might therefore have any value, don’t release it.
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2023 at 8:44:09 AM permalink

Is this typical?
Is this unusual?
link to original post

link to original post

I'm going by yahoo sports. I've no idea how accurate it is, thus my question.
As of this moment, they have the bets at 16-84% in favor of Igloos, but money bet as 45-55%
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 21st, 2023 at 8:53:25 AM permalink

Is this typical?
Is this unusual?

the link shows the Eagles at -8 right now at all the major online books except one book has them at -7.5 and one at -9.5

they were at -7.5 all day yesterday except iirc one of these books had them at -8

that suggests the late money is now coming in on the Eagles

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 21st, 2023 at 8:53:37 AM permalink

Is this typical?
Is this unusual?
link to original post

This is often a sign of so-called sharp money: the guys who bet $10,000 or more for a living may be wagering on the Giants. The lines are much more likely to move because of the wagers by the sharps than wagers by the general public. Believe me, the books know who these guys are and when they post the original line and several sharps immediately come down on one side, they change the line.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 21st, 2023 at 9:02:22 AM permalink

Is this typical?
Is this unusual?
link to original post

link to original post

I'm going by yahoo sports. I've no idea how accurate it is, thus my question.
As of this moment, they have the bets at 16-84% in favor of Igloos, but money bet as 45-55%
link to original post

I went to Yahoo sports and could not find it
I would like to see that

can you please post with the link - thanks

billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2023 at 9:09:47 AM permalink
I have difficulty posting links here, but if you go to yahoo sports, just click on the NY Giants- Eagles box on today's game and it opens a screen, scroll down and it is right there.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 21st, 2023 at 9:25:32 AM permalink

I have difficulty posting links here, but if you go to yahoo sports, just click on the NY Giants- Eagles box on today's game and it opens a screen, scroll down and it is right there.
link to original post

okay - I got it - thanks

there is Yahoo Finance - when I first saw it I thought it couldn't possibly be accurate - that it was basically a joke
but I compared what they were saying with info from my broker - lots of it - and they were 100% accurate - I think it's a great click

I don't know how they could get this info - but if I had to bet - I would bet it is pretty accurate

Edit - okay, now I see - next to the name Yahoo it says "sportsbook MGM" - so it is probably data just from MGM - prolly some deal between the two of them

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 22nd, 2023 at 12:53:36 PM permalink

if it's one yard for a first down or a TD the offensive players push the ball carrier from behind to help him gain yards
is that something fairly new_________?

I don't remember that from back in the day

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 22nd, 2023 at 1:34:37 PM permalink

if it's one yard for a first down or a TD the offensive players push the ball carrier from behind to help him gain yards

link to original post

I have a vague recollection that that was illegal decades ago. But has become standard the last year or two. I hope it becomes illegal again.
DRich
DRich
January 22nd, 2023 at 2:14:14 PM permalink

link to original post

That was a penalty until I would guess 5 or 10 years ago.

Edit:

In 2005 it became legal
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 24th, 2023 at 2:40:30 AM permalink

breakdown of the Cowboys last play against the 9ers - a strange one - the guy narrating is very good imo

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 24th, 2023 at 3:06:55 AM permalink

according to a google search the largest margin of victory in an NCAAB game happened on Nov. 12 2021 when Alcorn State fell to LSU by 64 points - 100-36

but it looks like there is a new record

on November 7 of this year Ball State beat Earlham by 70 points - 109-39

DRich
DRich
January 24th, 2023 at 3:55:39 AM permalink

according to a google search the largest margin of victory in an NCAAB game happened on Nov. 12 2021 when Alcorn State fell to LSU by 64 points - 100-36

link to original post

I found this on CBSSports.com

"The largest margin of victory took place in 2018, when Savannah State beat Wesleyan (Ga.), 155-26."
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 24th, 2023 at 12:16:52 PM permalink

link to original post

I found this on CBSSports.com

"The largest margin of victory took place in 2018, when Savannah State beat Wesleyan (Ga.), 155-26."
link to original post

Yeah but Ball State is a Div 1 - FBS - team whereas Savannah State and Wesleyan (Ga.) were Division III (Savannah State is now Division II but I think it was still Division III in 2018.)
billryan
billryan
January 24th, 2023 at 3:23:19 PM permalink
Has there ever been a BBall game where one player outscored the other team? I'm fairly certain it has happened in high school, but can't think of a college game.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 24th, 2023 at 4:21:09 PM permalink

imagine a Dad saying to his son:

"Jimmy, I've done something really special in sports.
I was on the NCAA Division 1 basketball team that got beat by the most points ever - 70 points "_____________________________(-:/

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 25th, 2023 at 2:38:28 PM permalink
ODDS ON STETSON BENNETT GETTING DRAFTED

Yes: -250 (bet $10 to win $14 total)
No: +200 (bet $10 to win $30 total)

OVER/UNDER STETSON BENNETT DRAFT PICK NUMBER

No. 155 (Round 5)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 25th, 2023 at 3:07:15 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

ODDS ON STETSON BENNETT GETTING DRAFTED

Yes: -250 (bet $10 to win $14 total)
No: +200 (bet $10 to win $30 total)

OVER/UNDER STETSON BENNETT DRAFT PICK NUMBER

No. 155 (Round 5)
link to original post

Gimme $10 on under 155. And $20 to win $8 on the ‘yes’.
  • Jump to: