1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 6th, 2022 at 6:33:48 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: mcallister3200

Manchester United, and perhaps the entire EPL, also made the decision they’re better off without him.

Seems he’s probably at the equivalent point of what happens to some great basketball players late in their career where they’re just not that guy anymore and could be an effective role player, but may be unwilling to accept it. Maybe he ends up doing the NBA equivalent of going to China at the end of his career and comes over to the US to play in the MLS.
link to original post

He has been offered over $100,000,000 a year to play for a Saudi team. He hasn’t announced if he’s going or not.
link to original post

One report had it at $200 million per year.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 7th, 2022 at 4:46:59 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I saw Gaylord Perry pitch a few times in Cleveland. The ball movement was crazy.
link to original post

Phil Niekro was maybe the greatest knuckleball pitcher ever - that is a legal pitch

I almost feel kinna sorry for guys trying to hit it - in the vid a couple of them fall down after their swing - it's actually kinna comical

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2022 at 6:39:37 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I saw Gaylord Perry pitch a few times in Cleveland. The ball movement was crazy.
link to original post

Phil Niekro was maybe the greatest knuckleball pitcher ever - that is a legal pitch

I almost feel kinna sorry for guys trying to hit it - in the vid a couple of them fall down after their swing - it's actually kinna comical

I remember watching a Met game in the late 60s/early 70s where he no-hit them for six or seven innings and suddenly his ball stopped dancing. They scored eight or nine runs off him before he was finally pulled. One of the most incredible turnarounds I've ever seen.

link to original post

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 7th, 2022 at 6:41:27 AM permalink

link to original post

I always felt sorry for the Catchers having to deal with it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
December 7th, 2022 at 12:45:05 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Quote: tuttigym

Here you have it. Another authoritative, fact-based post with, of course, no links showing proof of such allegations.

It would seem to me that if the above were provable, the NCAA as well as the other combatant coaches within the SEC would have their say and make sure that Alabama would be sanctioned into oblivion. To me, the post is filled with conjecture, guessing, fan posturing, and even libel.

tuttigym
link to original post

[gordon888]There are things that people on the inside of organizations are willing to say privately that they are not willing to say pubicly. Of course, you are entitled to believe that nothing is true unless there has been an official investigation that has revealed smoking-gun evidence that is documented on an internet site. I note that college football has a cover-up culture where people avoid creating evidence via emails and electronic messaging and instead conduct unethical behavior by oral conversations.

Mr.888 is proposing a NCAA/SEC conspiracy theory with this very authoritative post. So, allow me to ask some questions to shed light on the proposed subject of favoritism.

1. Mr. 888 are you privy to those conversations from "inside the organizations" or do you know or have personal knowledge of those conversations? If so, please specifically state who had those conversations and what was the content.
2. Can you explain the "cover-up" culture and how exactly does that work?
3. The NCAA, throughout the years, has conducted high level/high profile investigations of major programs giving out many sanctions and harsh penalties to schools. Are you inferring or saying that Alabama is immune?

Quote: gordon888

The issues are in the relationship between the Univ of Alabama sports directorate and the SEC office. The SEC offices are located in Birmingham, Alabama where U. of Alabama has major schools and where it has always played some of its football games. Do administrators switch jobs back and forth between the Alabama sports directorate and the SEC offices? Does Alabama assign various senior administrators to walk across the street and work issues with the SEC office such as penalties? (Ans: Paul Finebaum has said on TV that they do when he was asked why Bama gets a disproportionate number of favorable calls from SEC refs.)

If my geography is correct, the U. Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, which is about 200 miles south of Birmingham, so while you ask questions about "administrators" "switching jobs" and "walking across the street" to "work issues with the SEC office," I believe it is incumbent on you to produce the damning evidence. As for Mr. Finebaum's alleged statements. you need to produce a transcript.

If you're interested in this subject then do some scholarly research and document your own sources. You can start on the internet with the widely known ref (now retired) who has been notorious for being favorable to Alabama. Please, do some work to educate yourself on the subject under discussion before you fire off posts in which you misuse the word libel.

If one makes the accusations, one must produce the "research" or links for credibility. BTW who is the "widely known ref (now retired) ref"? So rather than use my sources, produce your sources. Then I can conduct my research.

As for conjecture and posturing: If you are intolerant of that, then I wonder why you spend time on social media.
link to original post

I am not sure why you would believe I am intolerant. It is your post that provides a high level of negativity and bias.

tuttigym
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
December 7th, 2022 at 6:48:24 PM permalink
Tuttigym:
1. Yes, I have heard things but no,I will not answer your questions.
2. No, I will not explain "cover-up culture."
3. No, I was not saying Alabama is immune from NCAA penalties. I certainly did not mean to imply that.
4. No, regarding providing you 'damning evidence.' See my answer to #1, above. And no, I will not provide a transcript of something that I heard on television.
5. No, I will not provide any of that information.
6. I fully admit to being negative about the Alabama football program and to having bias against them.

You are free to not believe or disregard anything and everything I have posted about the Alabama football program in the one or two posts I made on this subject. You have no standing to require me to produce evidence, transcripts, information about my private conversations, and sources.

As a forum moderator, I cannot block individuals such as you because it is in conflict with my responsibilities. However, my plan is to not respond to anymore of your posts on this particular subject. I am not willing to argue with you on this subject. I also have no immediate plans to post any further opinions on the Alabama football program.

And my name is not Mr.888. That is not the pronoun I prefer.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 7th, 2022 at 9:16:28 PM permalink
Tuscaloosa is not even close to 200 miles from Birmingham tutti. It’s less than an hour.
DRich
DRich
December 8th, 2022 at 4:37:33 AM permalink

Tuscaloosa is not even close to 200 miles from Birmingham tutti. It’s less than an hour.
link to original post

Google says 57 miles.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
December 8th, 2022 at 6:53:55 AM permalink

link to original post

Maybe he was on my bus when I went to The UF-Bama game in 2010...

We were staying in Birmingham, and got seats on a charter that offered a round trip to and from the game, as well as a pre-game tailgate meal. Everything went swimmingly (except for the actual outcome of the game!) until we got on the bus to head back to Birmingham. We rode for about 90 minutes, some in traffic, but some on open highway.

It was dark and I did not know the area. So, when the bus stopped, I figured we were there. However, the driver told us to stay seated. It turned out he didn't know the area very well, either, because we were still in Tuscaloosa! We eventually got back to our hotel in Birmingham about 3 AM (and I had to leave for the airport at 5!) So, since we were travelling for 3 hours, one might assume it was 200 miles!

PS, Gordon, as far as I am concerned, feel free to continue posting your opinions about Alabama! ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
DRich
December 8th, 2022 at 7:09:35 AM permalink
I made that trip once after a game, and it took well over two hours, but most of it felt like we were in a parking lot. I'm sure under normal conditions, it is closer to an hour.
I'm sure the University makes its fleet of private jets and helicopters available to these officials when the players aren't using them.
billryan
billryan
December 8th, 2022 at 7:09:53 AM permalink
I made that trip once after a game, and it took well over two hours, but most of it felt like we were in a parking lot. I'm sure under normal conditions, it is closer to an hour.
I'm sure the University makes its fleet of private jets and helicopters available to these officials when the players aren't using them.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
December 8th, 2022 at 9:06:28 AM permalink
University of Alabama-Birmingham. Which used to be an extension of the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, but no longer is. They are now both part of the same University of Alabama System, managed by the same University of Alabama Chancellor.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 8th, 2022 at 9:16:30 AM permalink

was gonna put this in the quotes thread but it seemed to belong here more:

"I was Bulldog born and Bulldog bred. And when I die I'll be Bulldog dead."

Lewis Grizzard

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
December 8th, 2022 at 9:37:54 AM permalink

was gonna put this in the quotes thread but it seemed to belong here more:

"I was Bulldog born and Bulldog bred. And when I die I'll be Bulldog dead."

Lewis Grizzard
link to original post

Bit of a nasty image, that. Being bred by a bulldog. Not something I'd brag about publicly.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
December 8th, 2022 at 10:32:54 AM permalink
OBJ apparently has a regular driver named ‘Danny Boy Hustle Hard’ who said OBJ is not signing with Cowboys.

My money ($1) would be on OBJ not signing with anyone until this offseason.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
December 8th, 2022 at 10:40:09 AM permalink

OBJ apparently has a regular driver named ‘Danny Boy Hustle Hard’ who said OBJ is not signing with Cowboys.

link to original post

Cowboys have the highest scoring O in the league they don't need him. he's not even 100%
ready to even be tested in a game situation. I agree offseason.
billryan
billryan
December 8th, 2022 at 1:34:04 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

link to original post

Cowboys have the highest scoring O in the league they don't need him. he's not even 100%
link to original post

Can a team add him for the playoffs without him being on the regular season roster? I'd love to see the Giants take a flyer on him.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
December 8th, 2022 at 1:54:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: rainman

link to original post

link to original post

Can a team add him for the playoffs without him being on the regular season roster? I'd love to see the Giants take a flyer on him.
link to original post

I think so. He is a free agent. If a team has its punter injured practicing after the regular season but before the playoffs, I am pretty sure they can hire any free agent punter not under contract to another team.

I’m not sure exactly how he’d get paid. Pretty sure players get salary for each regular season game played. Then pick up (by sports standards) small extra checks for each additional playoff game. He’d probably get a ‘signing bonus’ for this year. Sounds like he doesn’t just want to be paid for this year. I’m standing by my prediction he doesn’t play until next year.
billryan
billryan
December 8th, 2022 at 2:34:20 PM permalink
I wonder if he could sign for the playoffs and still be a free agent next year? Mario Manningham turned a single catch in the Big game into a 40 million dollar payday.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
December 8th, 2022 at 2:59:22 PM permalink

I wonder if he could sign for the playoffs and still be a free agent next year? Mario Manningham turned a single catch in the Big game into a 40 million dollar payday.
link to original post

If he and the team that signs him wants to go that route, it absolutely could happen. That’s what the TEAMS would want. They would have no future risk that he just ain’t what he used to be post injury. And since he is a pure free agent, they would be giving up no assets (draft picks,players) to sign him.

Not saying it’s impossible, but I just don’t see him getting big WR money (20 million a year ish) no matter how well he plays the rest of this year.
DRich
DRich
December 8th, 2022 at 5:25:57 PM permalink

Not saying it’s impossible, but I just don’t see him getting big WR money (20 million a year ish) no matter how well he plays the rest of this year.

I agree. The longer he is unemployed the better a $5 million a year deal will sound to him.
billryan
billryan
December 8th, 2022 at 5:29:39 PM permalink

I agree. The longer he is unemployed the better a $5 million a year deal will sound to him.
link to original post

He could make that doing corporate gigs.
DRich
DRich
December 8th, 2022 at 5:32:29 PM permalink

link to original post

He could make that doing corporate gigs.
link to original post

Maybe, but do that in the offseason and make an additional $5 million playing football.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
December 8th, 2022 at 8:42:25 PM permalink
Baker Mayfield has been on the Rams for around 2 1/2 days. He led them on two amazing fourth quarter TD drives to win tonight’s game. The second one was 98 yards, after the 2 minute warning, with no time outs left!

The normal flow of an NFL season has teams having OTA’s(organized team activities) months before they have their month long training camp. Then the 3 preseason practice games.

Baker Mayfields success today showed what a joke it all is. Like anything they do in May really matters.

I’m not sure why, but I’ve always been a fan of Mayfield. It is highly unlikely he’s on the Rams next year, as it is still Stafford team when he is healthy. Maybe he starts for the Texans?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
December 8th, 2022 at 10:29:15 PM permalink
Amazing finish by Baker Mayfield on the Thursday night game, made historically astonishing by the fact that he was with the Rams for only two days and participated in only one practice. Soopoo has posted above about what Mayfield did, I won't repeat what he said. I have never seen the sports broadcasters, analysts etc. as flabbergasted by a performance as they were by what Baker Mayfield pulled off. Several of them said that they could not remember a similar QB performance by such a new addition to a team anytime in the history of the NFL.

At one point late in the 4th Q the Raiders had a 98% chance of winning, according to ESPN's computers.

WR Van Jefferson, who made the winning TD catch with 9 seconds left, was the first player interviewed in the post-game and when asked what happened, he said "It was Baker Mayfield, man. He was incredible. Just unbelievable."

Rave tweets were shown from Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Stefon Diggs, James Harden and others.

Mayfield has been up and down and may never again reach the heights that he did tonight. But, wow, for one moment he surprised the world.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 9th, 2022 at 3:40:56 AM permalink

negativity surrounding the mass legalization of sports betting is now being voiced in many places

one Senator compared the marketing of "free bets" to someone handing out free samples of cocaine

my two cents worth: Yes, this will definitely cause some pain. there will definitely be many, probably mostly younger people, who cannot handle the temptations of it well

click the link and then the NYT story to miss the NYT paywall and read the story

https://www.google.com/search?q=state+officials+seek+to+revisit+sports+betting+arrangements&oq=state+officials+seek+to+revis&aqs=edge.0.0i3j69i57.6135j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 9th, 2022 at 1:44:23 PM permalink

according to Wikipedia - which may not be the greatest source but is usually pretty good -

2.3% of the adult population in the U.S. are problem gamblers

when I first read it - I thought they meant 2.3% of just gamblers

and when I realized that they meant of the entire adult population I was stunned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_gambling#North_America

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 9th, 2022 at 2:37:07 PM permalink
What percentage of a typical casinos income comes from problem gamblers?

I’d imagine it’s something like the old 80/20 principle that applies to many things in life but worse. Probably even worse in “locals” casinos.
DRich
DRich
December 9th, 2022 at 3:34:20 PM permalink

What percentage of a typical casinos income comes from problem gamblers?

I’d imagine it’s something like the old 80/20 principle that applies to many things in life but worse. Probably even worse in “locals” casinos.
link to original post

I would guess as far as Las Vegas strip casinos it would be much lower, and much higher at the locals casinos. In Las Vegas at bars, gas stations, and grocery stores I would guess it is much higher.
DRich
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 7:41:33 AM permalink
Did anyone watch the playoff football game last night where Incarnate Word beat Sacramento St 66-63? If you like tight defensive football like I do you would have hated it. Highlights are available on Youtube.
billryan
billryan
December 10th, 2022 at 7:44:30 AM permalink

Did anyone watch the football game last night where Incarnate Word beat Sacramento St 66-63? If you like tight defensive football like I do you would have hated it.
link to original post

Today's game features the only teams where the players are willing to die for their audience.
Go Army!!!!!!
DRich
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 8:01:54 AM permalink

Did anyone watch the football game last night where Incarnate Word beat Sacramento St 66-63? If you like tight defensive football like I do you would have hated it.
link to original post

Today's game features the only teams where the players are willing to die for their audience.
Go Army!!!!!!
link to original post

I will be watching but don't agree they would be willing to die for their audience. If the game involved actual death it would probably get a higher rating.
billryan
billryan
December 10th, 2022 at 8:17:52 AM permalink

link to original post

Go Army!!!!!!
link to original post

I will be watching but don't agree they would be willing to die for their audience. If the game involved actual death it would probably get a higher rating.
link to original post

Almost every player on the field will be leading men in combat missions in the very near future. Each of them is ready to die for their country.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 10th, 2022 at 8:51:05 AM permalink

link to original post

Go Army!!!!!!
link to original post

link to original post

Almost every player on the field will be leading men in combat missions in the very near future. Each of them is ready to die for their country.
link to original post

Navy a steal at -2.5.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 9:03:55 AM permalink

link to original post

Go Army!!!!!!
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I understand, but that is not at all the same as dying for an audience.
billryan
billryan
December 10th, 2022 at 9:46:56 AM permalink

link to original post

Go Army!!!!!!
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I understand, but that is not at all the same as dying for an audience.
link to original post

They are willing to die for THE audience. They are willing to give their lives so we can enjoy things like football game.
Growing up an army brat, today was a big day. All over the world, army teams are meeting navy squads at various levels.
I transferred in, but my ROTC team had lost to the local Navy ROTC squad five years in a row and it was a top priority for the Seniors to put together a winning team. We practiced long and hard, brought in a few ringers, and were highly motivated. They still kicked our ass's. We scored first on a trick play that is now illegal but were down 14-6 at halftime and it got worse from there. It got a little chippy late but we all met up for an Attitude Adjustment Hour post-game.
DRich
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 10:07:52 AM permalink

They are willing to die for THE audience. They are willing to give their lives so we can enjoy things like football game.
Growing up an army brat, today was a big day. All over the world, army teams are meeting navy squads at various levels.
I transferred in, but my ROTC team had lost to the local Navy ROTC squad five years in a row and it was a top priority for the Seniors to put together a winning team. We practiced long and hard, brought in a few ringers, and were highly motivated. They still kicked our ass's. We scored first on a trick play that is now illegal but were down 14-6 at halftime and it got worse from there. It got a little chippy late but we all met up for an Attitude Adjustment Hour post-game.

I respect anyone that graduated from a service academy and I will be watching the game after the Jackrabbit game.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 10th, 2022 at 10:40:01 AM permalink

Almost every player on the field will be leading men in combat missions in the very near future.

I think you were probably just trying to be humorous - okay - whatever

but for the record

only about 10% of our Military forces engage in battle - and the U.S. is not involved in a major conflict right now - we're in on some stuff in Somalia - I dunno where else

https://www.thesoldiersproject.org/what-percentage-of-the-military-sees-combat/

billryan
billryan
December 10th, 2022 at 11:25:05 AM permalink

Almost every player on the field will be leading men in combat missions in the very near future.

but for the record

only about 10% of our Military forces engage in battle - and the U.S. is not involved in a major conflict right now - we're in on some stuff in Somalia - I dunno where else

https://www.thesoldiersproject.org/what-percentage-of-the-military-sees-combat/

link to original post

Do you believe those ten percent operate independently? That the rest of the military are just civilians in uniform? I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 10th, 2022 at 12:22:43 PM permalink

If the game involved actual death it would probably get a higher rating.

that is 110% true

that is why UFC fighting is so popular

the fans are hoping they'll get lucky enough to see a fighter carried out on a stretcher -

aren't human beings wonderful_____________?__________________(~:/

billryan
billryan
December 10th, 2022 at 12:36:44 PM permalink

If the game involved actual death it would probably get a higher rating.

that is 110% true

that is why UFC fighting is so popular

the fans are hoping they'll get lucky enough to see a fighter carried out on a stretcher -

aren't human beings wonderful_____________?__________________(~:/

I'm an MMA fan and the last thing I was not to see if a serious injury. It's very different to root for a wild knockout than to root for an injury. Even at a wrestling show, a performer suffering a serious injury puts a damper on the rest of the show.
That's why I hate this slap fighting bs Dana White is trying to promote. The first thing a fighter learns is to protect yourself at all times, so now they want to promote something where it is illegal to protect yourself.

link to original post

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 10th, 2022 at 12:50:40 PM permalink

but for the record

https://www.thesoldiersproject.org/what-percentage-of-the-military-

link to original post

Do you believe those ten percent operate independently? That the rest of the military are just civilians in uniform? I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
link to original post

it's going to be kinna tough to lead men into combat in the very near future when there's no war - don't you think_______?

or are you predicting there will be a major war in the near future___________?

in any event - it's almost New Years - and I already made one of my New Years Resolutions

I'm not going to intensely debate stuff on WOV anymore - even with the great one himself - the One and Only Legendary King of the game of Baccarat

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 2:36:00 PM permalink
I thought we had a rule that barred incarnate words from the forum.
DRich
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 4:30:38 PM permalink
That is one of the better Army/Navy games that I remember. I was rooting for Navy but when they fumbled in the second OT it was pretty much over.
billryan
billryan
December 10th, 2022 at 4:50:14 PM permalink

That is one of the better Army/Navy games that I remember. I was rooting for Navy but when they fumbled in the second OT it was pretty much over.
link to original post

Best game since the Snow Bowl, at the minimum. I loved the trick plays and the Special Teams plays the Knights pulled. It's how less talented teams hang in games and hope for the late-game breaks.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 11th, 2022 at 1:34:47 AM permalink

DC's own Caleb Williams won the Heisman - before USC - he went to Gonzaga h.s. - the first ever Heisman winner from our area

4,075 passing yards and 47 TDs for USC___________woohoo____!!!________________and he's just a Sophomore

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/12/09/caleb-williams-heisman-dmv/

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 11th, 2022 at 2:01:24 AM permalink

during the regular season Wake Forest crushed Army by a score of 45-10

the football power known as "Coastal" also handled Army pretty easily

maybe the U.S. Army should think about making special offers to "Coastal" players to get them to defend our country______________(~:/

DRich
DRich
December 11th, 2022 at 3:50:09 AM permalink

during the regular season Wake Forest crushed Army by a score of 45-10

the football power known as "Coastal" also handled Army pretty easily

maybe the U.S. Army should think about making special offers to "Coastal" players to get them to defend our country______________(~:/

link to original post

Having been to the Myrtle Beach / Conway area I am guessing the Army players were too distracted by all of the pancake houses and mini golf to be able to concentrate on football.
DRich
DRich
December 11th, 2022 at 6:04:09 AM permalink
Speaking of military, this song always makes me emotional.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
December 11th, 2022 at 6:27:10 AM permalink
NBA is a sham league now. They had a game advertised as Nets Pacers last night. You know, the Nets who pre season were one of the favorites to win it all with a roster of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons, Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Nic Claxton. The Nets suited up NONE of them! The Pacers are SO bad that they lost to the G League team the Nets fielded, but that’s not the point. Some schmuck last month bought 2 tix for $400 to see the Nets stars and was swindled. I bet they are all magically healthy to play in the Nets next game.

Rant over.
  • Jump to: