9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
June 23rd, 2022 at 12:33:11 PM permalink
Amongst the ‘Big 4’, anyone who does NOT think the Stanley Cup playoffs is the BEST is just nuts. Sorry to NBA, NFL, and MLB.

NHL>NFL>NBA>MLB
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 23rd, 2022 at 12:56:03 PM permalink
I guess I’m nuts then. You’d have to pay me to watch the NHL, and probably MLB.

This world, next thing you know people are going to be referring to car racing, horse racing and golf as “sports.”
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 23rd, 2022 at 4:01:41 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

This world, next thing you know people are going to be referring to car racing, horse racing and golf as “sports.”

for somebody who doesn't think much of the MLB you posted some pretty strong opinions about the relative greatness of Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron

you don't think horse racing is a sport___________?

you have absolutely no knowledge at all about the tremendous skill required to be a great jockey, or to train a great thoroughbred

you think the world revolves around the NFL and the NBA______________(~:/_______________seriously - it's a very big world out there

this is like somebody who doesn't like classical music saying that Beethoven sucks

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 23rd, 2022 at 5:08:25 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Amongst the ‘Big 4’, anyone who does NOT think the Stanley Cup playoffs is the BEST is just nuts. Sorry to NBA, NFL, and MLB.

NHL>NFL>NBA>MLB
link to original post

I concur. That game last night was awesome.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 23rd, 2022 at 5:41:21 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

for somebody who doesn't think much of the MLB you posted some pretty strong opinions about the relative greatness of Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron

you have absolutely no knowledge at all about the tremendous skill required to be a great jockey, or to train a great thoroughbred

you think the world revolves around the NFL and the NBA______________(~:/_______________seriously - it's a very big world out there

this is like somebody who doesn't like classical music saying that Beethoven sucks

link to original post

I like baseball but it’s just too slow to watch a full game if not with friends.

I’m sure there’s lots of skill in being a jockey or race car driver, I don’t doubt that. There’s also a lot of skill in being a mechanic, plumber, or welder. Doesn’t make them sports. Imo racing the horse or vehicle are the “athletes” if it’s a sport. Jockey, trainer, driver, those guys are all skilled tradesmen imo, it’s an entertainment product, but I would never consider them athletes.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 24th, 2022 at 12:31:22 AM permalink

link to original post

if it’s a sport. Jockey, trainer, , those guys are all skilled tradesmen imo, it’s an entertainment product, but I would never consider them athletes.
link to original post

so, Irad Ortiz Jr. - the #1 jockey in America who wins about 27% of his races, most of them high dollar races, is not an athlete - the average win % of a jock is about 12%

that's going to come as a surprise to an awful lot of people

go back to the NFL and the NBA where you belong - your comments on other "sports" are not going to get you a job with ESPN

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jun 24, 2022
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 24th, 2022 at 5:44:45 AM permalink

link to original post

if it’s a sport. Jockey, trainer, , those guys are all skilled tradesmen imo, it’s an entertainment product, but I would never consider them athletes.
link to original post

so, Irad Ortiz Jr. - the #1 jockey in America who wins about 27% of his races, most of them high dollar races, is not an athlete - the average win % of a jock is about 12%

go back to the NFL and the NBA where you belong - your comments on other "sports" are not going to get you a job with ESPN

link to original post

You’re a big meanie. The guy’s pretty good at riding around on a horse no doubt.

Fine, horse racing can be a sport. It can be acknowledged as a sport in its euology since it’s a dying sport virtually nobody not on the back nine cares a bit about.
DRich
DRich
June 24th, 2022 at 6:22:40 AM permalink

It may come as a surprise to some people, but I am pretty sure that not an awful lot of people even car about horse racing. What percent of the people on earth follow horse racing closely? I am guessing much less than 1%.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 24th, 2022 at 6:23:27 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Fine, horse racing can be a sport. It can be acknowledged as a sport in its euology since it’s a dying sport virtually nobody not on the back nine cares a bit about.
link to original post

this linked article is just for you - from January 2022 - Headline:

"U.S. Horse Racing Betting Handle Surges to Highest in Years"

from the article:

"Some of the key points from the data include:

Total wagering handle topped $12.2 billion in 2021, an 11.86% increase over 2020
U.S. purses exceeded $1.1 billion, a 35.77% increase over the previous year
U.S. race days and total races jumped by more than 20% over last year
The average field size contracted from 7.94 to 7.37, a 7.20% decrease
The average purses per race day increased by over 10% to just shy of $290,000

Most notably, the U.S. horse racing industry achieved this growth while recovering from the effects of a global pandemic, significant negative press resulting from well-publicized scandals, safety issues, and regulatory changes stemming from new legislation.

Here’s NTRA President and CEO Tom Rooney on the numbers:

"Against an extraordinarily difficult backdrop, the resiliency of Thoroughbred racing was on full display in 2021 as we concluded the year with significant growth in purses and total handle of more than $12 billion, the highest since 2009.”

https://www.americasbestracing.net/the-sport/2022-us-horse-racing-betting-industry-handle-surges-highest-years

now, I repeat - go back to your room and stay there

you can come out of your room 2 days before the first NFL preseason game on August 11 - not until

I'm done - I'm outta here - any more shots you take at "other" sports will go unrebutted

the fairway is wide open - an easy path to the green

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 24th, 2022 at 10:17:04 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

from the article:

Total wagering handle topped $12.2 billion in 2021, an 11.86% increase over 2020

Most notably, the U.S. horse racing industry achieved this growth while recovering from the effects of a global pandemic, significant negative press resulting from well-publicized scandals, safety issues, and regulatory changes stemming from new legislation.

"Against an extraordinarily difficult backdrop, the resiliency of Thoroughbred racing was on full display in 2021 as we concluded the year with significant growth in purses and total handle of more than $12 billion, the highest since 2009.”

https://www.americasbestracing.net/the-sport/2022-us-horse-racing-betting-industry-handle-surges-highest-years

you can come out of your room 2 days before the first NFL preseason game on August 11 - not until

I'm done - I'm outta here - any more shots you take at "other" sports will go unrebutted

link to original post

You provided no rebuttal to the age of anyone interested in horse racing. No one under 60 cares. So people who have money to retire and bet care. That’s all you showed.

One last thing. Go fuck yourself for your disrespectful tone. You’re a piece of work.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 24th, 2022 at 12:36:26 PM permalink

One last thing. Go fuck yourself

Attention Mods:

please don't suspend this guy for this

suspending him would carry the implication that I should or would care what he posts

I couldn't care less what he posts

if you want to suspend me or apply any further discipline for anything I posted - that's fine

I wouldn't challenge that

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 25th, 2022 at 9:10:41 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

from the article:

link to original post

You provided no rebuttal to the age of anyone interested in horse racing. No one under 60 cares. So people who have money to retire and bet care. That’s all you showed.

One last thing. Go fuck yourself for your disrespectful tone. You’re a piece of work.
link to original post

You're suspended for use of vulgar language and for a personal insult. 7 days suspension, pending review by other mods
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
June 25th, 2022 at 10:37:20 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

You're suspended for use of vulgar language and for a personal insult. 7 days suspension, pending review by other mods
link to original post

In spite of LLR's request for clemency, I concur with Gordon's judgement. The obscenity was offensive to all that would read it, including new visitors.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
June 25th, 2022 at 11:33:05 AM permalink

One last thing. Go fuck yourself

Attention Mods:

please don't suspend this guy for this

suspending him would carry the implication that I should or would care what he posts

I couldn't care less what he posts

if you want to suspend me or apply any further discipline for anything I posted - that's fine

I wouldn't challenge that

link to original post

Your leniency request was duly noted. After review by Wizard and two other mods, mcallister3200's suspension will remain at 7 days. OD did a good job of explaining the rationale.

LRR, we also reviewed your posts leading up to mcallister3200's post. I understand why mcallister3200 was angry at you because I thought your posts did indeed have a disrespectful tone. However, your posts were not rules violations and don't merit any action on our part.

This matter is closed.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
June 26th, 2022 at 9:25:12 AM permalink
Who watched that Breakers-Stallions game yesterday? It was awesome seeing someone bring the "T" formation back to pro football. It will be interesting to see if they use it against Philly and if the Stars have prepared for it.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 16th, 2022 at 12:54:26 PM permalink

"pro" wrestling has evolved so much - the stunts are absolutely incredible - they're fabulous athletes

it might be considered low class - I don't care - for me it's tremendously entertaining

the link entitled "the fake stuff hurts like hell" describes how much pain and how many injuries they have to endure in this profession

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610966-this-fake-stuff-hurts-like-hell-pro-wrestlings-painful-toll-on-the-body

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 17th, 2022 at 1:17:45 AM permalink

MLB draft prospect is turning heads with 105 m.p.h. fastball
but lots of ifs - will soon undergo surgery

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/15/ben-joyce-mlb-draft/

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
lilredrooster
July 17th, 2022 at 3:15:12 AM permalink

"pro" wrestling has evolved so much - the stunts are absolutely incredible - they're fabulous athletes

it might be considered low class - I don't care - for me it's tremendously entertaining

I liked it back in the day. For me what is fun now is listening to stars of the 80s telling you how the business was back then. You really see how they were so different from their character. Back then they so rarely broke character.

Some of what I have learned.

I never liked The Ultimate Warrior character seeing it as more for children. Seems all the other wrestlers hated the guy and he was a real jerk.

Lots of those mid-card guys were used behind the scenes. Renee Goulet only beat jobbers. But it turns out he was a good trainer for both jobbers and stars who came over alike. As to the stars it was more of, "I know you were big in Memphis but here the boss wants it done like this......" He and others would become "road agents" meaning they made sure the arena was ready, all the guys showed up, and other parts of the show. Which sounds like a cool job until you learn how many guys no-showed or had other problems.

Before it blew in the Mania era it was not so glamorous with some shows being such local affairs that the "arena" workers were locals selling concessions on a split to raise funds. Said "arena" might have been a high school gym.

I saw the second golden age in the 1980s but we did not know what the age was at the tine.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
July 19th, 2022 at 8:30:19 PM permalink
Holy crap — I just learned that UCLA and USC are leaving the Pac-12 for the Big 10 in the 2024 school year!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
July 19th, 2022 at 9:12:27 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Holy crap — I just learned that UCLA and USC are leaving the Pac-12 for the Big 10 in the 2024 school year!
link to original post

This ought to disrupt the traditional Rose Bowl matchup between the Big10 and Pac-12.
DRich
DRich
July 20th, 2022 at 9:31:53 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

link to original post

I am shocked that you just saw that. It was big news a couple of weeks ago.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
July 20th, 2022 at 12:59:47 PM permalink
I've been so busy that I haven't been following sports, except for checking in on how often the A's lose.

I was regaling the kids about how the Pac-12 used to be the Pac-8 before becoming the Pac-10, and I couldn't cite schools #9 and #10 until I finally remembered: Arizona and Arizona State! I'm getting old.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
July 21st, 2022 at 5:13:40 AM permalink
I wonder if the Royals are going to be able to deal Benintendi before the deadline. I also wonder if they want to get rid of a clubhouse leader like Merrifield after his comments about the Toronto series and the fact that he is going to be 34 next year.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 25th, 2022 at 2:55:41 AM permalink

MLB's fabulous star - Ohtani - "Showtime"

not a high BA but 40 homers and 100 RBIs last year

.688 win % pitching with a 3.28 ERA

comparisons to Babe Ruth are being made - I don't believe he's on that level but still - he is truly great

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/22/shohei-ohtani-mlb-star/

Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
July 25th, 2022 at 6:00:24 AM permalink

MLB's fabulous star - Ohtani - "Showtime"

not a high BA but 40 homers and 100 RBIs last year

.688 win % pitching with a 3.28 ERA

comparisons to Babe Ruth are being made - I don't believe he's on that level but still - he is truly great

link to original post

That's incredible. I would've thought this to be nearly impossible.

But I never even heard of this guy until now. I love baseball, but MLB drove me away. Never again.
DRich
DRich
July 25th, 2022 at 6:33:37 AM permalink

Is it possible for anyone to deserve that after 3 years in the MLB? If he is still doing this in 5 more years it may be deserved.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 25th, 2022 at 7:10:49 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Is it possible for anyone to deserve that after 3 years in the MLB? If he is still doing this in 5 more years it may be deserved.
link to original post

100% agree - and his stats are not even close to those of Ruth's - I'm not trying to criticize him by saying this

I believe this stuff comes from sportswriters and the network talking heads who are trying to get attention - it really is ridiculous

Babe Ruth was the most amazing athlete I've ever seen in my life - of course I only saw films

that body of his - you would never guess the guy could even play ball - much less be the greatest of all time - truly incredible

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
lilredrooster
July 25th, 2022 at 9:25:50 AM permalink
In 1927, when Babe Ruth hit 60 hrs and hit .356, he did not receive a single vote for MVP.

Lou Gehrig won the MVP receiving 7 of the 8 first place votes, Harry Heilmann finished second. Ted Lyons, Mickey Cochrane and Al Simmons finished 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Tony Lazzeri of the Yankees finished 11th with the other first place vote.

Of the 26 AL players receiving MVP votes in 1927, Slim Harriss and Phil Todt tied for 25th and 26th. Slim Harriss of the Red Sox led the league in losses with a 14-21 record and a 4.18 ERA. Phil Todt, also of the Bosox, hit 0.236 with 6 Hrs. They received votes!

Babe Ruth won the MVP Award in 1923 (the second year of the award), and until 1930 previous American League MVP winners were ineligible to receive MVP votes!
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Jul 25, 2022
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 26th, 2022 at 2:27:40 AM permalink

every single year the Colleges graduate at least a couple of hundred truly great hoops players who can't make the NBA
some can play overseas or in the G league but many don't want to
their careers are over at age 21
it's really kinna sad when you think about it

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 26th, 2022 at 3:08:52 AM permalink

every single year the Colleges graduate at least a couple of hundred truly great hoops players who can't make the NBA

link to original post

Then, in the words of Chuck Noll, it is time for them to get on with their life's work. Instead of throwing a ball thru a circle they have to get a job.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
smoothgrh
July 26th, 2022 at 4:19:37 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

Then, in the words of Chuck Noll, it is time for them to get on with their life's work. Instead of throwing a ball thru a circle they have to get a job.
link to original post

I played for a small college - it was NCAA Division 1 - even though small we actually played Penn State and didn't get beat by them that badly
I was nowhere remotely close to making the NBA
but I was high scorer in h.s. and freshman year at college - even though I'm only 5'9" - and won many honors I won't mention

and in many ways, except for getting married and my love for my wife__________

I think nothing I ever did in life was as special as my basketball years

what you posted is true - but it doesn't change your feelings
and College players who were much better than me must have lots of feelings about this all thru their lives

DRich
DRich
July 26th, 2022 at 5:38:24 AM permalink

I wouldn't classify it as a career. It was a hobby and there are plenty of rec league basketball teams they can play on if they want to continue.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 26th, 2022 at 5:50:52 AM permalink

I wouldn't classify it as a career. It was a hobby and there are plenty of rec league basketball teams they can play on if they want to continue.
link to original post

yes, that's true
but there's a big, big difference
with the crowd cheering and screaming and all of the false importance attached to the game
you're talking about major league adrenaline flow
you don't get that in a rec league

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 26th, 2022 at 8:47:15 AM permalink

link to original post

yes, that's true
but there's a big, big difference
with the crowd cheering and screaming and all of the false importance attached to the game
you're talking about major league adrenaline flow
you don't get that in a rec league

link to original post

The adrenaline I get from my participation in sports is internal. By that I mean the number in the crowd could be 1 or 1000 but my feeling is the same. The importance, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with crowd size. In 1990 I won my first Gus Macker 3 point shooting contest. There was certainly a crowd, but it didn’t matter if it was 50 (probably?) or 500 watching.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 26th, 2022 at 12:20:57 PM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 26, 2022
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 31st, 2022 at 1:20:04 AM permalink

Lebron James Jr. - they call him Bronny - will probably go NCAA in the Fall

only 6'2" - he can fly - can go way, way up

not anywhere near his Dad's level yet but who knows - it will be fun to watch - has a brother who's a baller too

https://lakersdaily.com/thaddeus-young-says-bronny-james-is-probably-not-the-elite-of-the-elite-but-is-solid-as-hell/

DRich
DRich
July 31st, 2022 at 8:45:15 AM permalink

Lebron James Jr. - they call him Bronny - will probably go NCAA in the Fall

If he does go to college my money is on Duke. Lebron had a special relationship with Coach K.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
July 31st, 2022 at 9:17:46 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The adrenaline I get from my participation in sports is internal. By that I mean the number in the crowd could be 1 or 1000 but my feeling is the same. The importance, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with crowd size. In 1990 I won my first Gus Macker 3 point shooting contest. There was certainly a crowd, but it didn’t matter if it was 50 (probably?) or 500 watching.

I have been a "jock" for most of my life. I have competed in various sports at all levels of competition up until my age 72 when arthritis to away my ability to compete in Masters' competitions in swimming. I still manage to play some golf, but my play is unremarkable but mostly enjoyable. SOOPOO's sentiments above, I believe, are pretty universal in that the competition and challenges athletes experience are fueled not by crowd size or applause but by one's drive to excel and compete. If accolades follow, those are bonus points to enjoy and embrace.

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 31st, 2022 at 9:44:50 AM permalink

link to original post

100% agree - and his stats are not even close to those of Ruth's - I'm not trying to criticize him by saying this

I believe this stuff comes from sportswriters and the network talking heads who are trying to get attention - it really is ridiculous

Babe Ruth was the most amazing athlete I've ever seen in my life - of course I only saw films

that body of his - you would never guess the guy could even play ball - much less be the greatest of all time - truly incredible

link to original post

I personally believe that comparisons of Ruth and players from that era to today's BB players is unrealistic.

1. Pitchers today routinely throw in the mid to upper 90's and there are dozens in that category. Is there any authority that can provide accurate pitching speed info for Ruth or Cy Young, etc.?
2. How many pitchers in the era before Jackie Robinson could throw in the 90's or a 85+ mph slider or cutter?
3. How many pitchers could throw three different pitches effectively for strikes?
4. Pitchers back then routinely threw more than 100 pitches in a game (starting pitchers). Therefore, in the later innings fatigue had to be a factor and the hitters probably gained some form of significant advantage.
5. We cannot know for sure, but I believe Ruth would not be anywhere near the hitter today against modern pitchers as he was in the 20's plus his lifestyle would probably not allow him to survive 162 game season.

BTW I saw Ohtani pitch against the Braves the other night. Fastball hit 102 mph, and he was unhitable for 6 innings. He was remarkable with 5 different pitches. I am pretty sure Ruth was not on that level.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 31st, 2022 at 1:18:13 PM permalink
Quote: NewWorldOrder

How to users make their own threads?
link to original post

at the bottom of your screen you should see a dropdown
you choose your topic from the dropdown and then click "Go"
that will take you to that topic
on the left you will see a blue thing to click which says "New Thread"

I hope that helps

and I'm hoping that will help me to secure an Executive position when the NewWorldOrder has been established

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 31st, 2022 at 1:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

link to original post

I personally believe that comparisons of Ruth and players from that era to today's BB players is unrealistic.

1. Pitchers today routinely throw in the mid to upper 90's and there are dozens in that category. Is there any authority that can provide accurate pitching speed info for Ruth or Cy Young, etc.?
2. How many pitchers in the era before Jackie Robinson could throw in the 90's or a 85+ mph slider or cutter?
3. How many pitchers could throw three different pitches effectively for strikes?
4. Pitchers back then routinely threw more than 100 pitches in a game (starting pitchers). Therefore, in the later innings fatigue had to be a factor and the hitters probably gained some form of significant advantage.
5. We cannot know for sure, but I believe Ruth would not be anywhere near the hitter today against modern pitchers as he was in the 20's plus his lifestyle would probably not allow him to survive 162 game season.

BTW I saw Ohtani pitch against the Braves the other night. Fastball hit 102 mph, and he was unhitable for 6 innings. He was remarkable with 5 different pitches. I am pretty sure Ruth was not on that level.

tuttigym
link to original post

in comparing players of different eras you can only compare as to how they performed within their era

speculation on how they would have matched up against each other is not useful - not to me

Jerry West was one of the greatest NBA players of his day

I don't believe he could have excelled even against the guards of average ability today

to me, that is not really relevant - he is still one of the greatest of all time - I'm only interested in how he dominated during his era

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 31, 2022
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Hunterhill
July 31st, 2022 at 4:21:22 PM permalink
RIP to the greatest defensive basketball player of all time and a top 5 all time player, Bill Russell
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
July 31st, 2022 at 6:11:28 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

tuttigym
link to original post

The best single-source compendium of information on historical pitchers that I am aware of is: The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers: An Historical Compendium of Pitching, Pitchers, and Pitches by Bill James and Rob Neyer.

A contemporary of Babe Ruth was Walter Johnson and his fastball was timed at 122 ft/sec. I calculate that to be about 84 mph.

But, most pitchers during that time period had 3 or more different pitches that they used. Some, like Stan Coveleski and Burleigh Grimes were grandfathered in and legally allowed to throw spitballs - legal spitters are something modern hitters don't have to deal with.

There are also strike zone differences between Ruth's era and the modern era. I think a larger strike zone was in force in Ruth's time period.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 31st, 2022 at 7:25:41 PM permalink
Very interesting, thanks. Todays BB players hitting an 84 mph fastball would be like batting practice. I realize making comparisons is sometimes unfair, but the game itself is primarily the same. The size, strength, speed, and conditioning of participants as well as the inclusion of players worldwide show the huge disparities within the game present vs past. I know there have been generational talents that would be able to compete on the current stage, but my personal knowledge of baseball is limited, but Jackie Robinson and Ted Williams come to mind as well as Sachel Page and others in the Negro Leagues who were never given the chance to play MLB. I personally believe that Babe Ruth is not their equal.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 1st, 2022 at 1:22:55 AM permalink

RIP to the greatest defensive basketball player of all time and a top 5 all time player, Bill Russell
link to original post

here he is blocking Wilt's dunk - I don't know if anybody else ever did that - maybe Kareem and maybe Nate Thurmond

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 1st, 2022 at 2:52:39 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The best single-source compendium of information on historical pitchers that I am aware of is: The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers: An Historical Compendium of Pitching, Pitchers, and Pitches by Bill James and Rob Neyer.

A contemporary of Babe Ruth was Walter Johnson and his fastball was timed at 122 ft/sec. I calculate that to be about 84 mph.

But, most pitchers during that time period had 3 or more different pitches that they used. Some, like Stan Coveleski and Burleigh Grimes were grandfathered in and legally allowed to throw spitballs - legal spitters are something modern hitters don't have to deal with.

There are also strike zone differences between Ruth's era and the modern era. I think a larger strike zone was in force in Ruth's time period.
link to original post

let's move on to a comparison of batting

Ohtani 's greatest no. of homers in any year - 46________________Babe's greatest no. of homers in any year - 60

Ohtani's greatest RBI production in any year - 100______________ Babe's greatest RBI production in any year -168

Ohtani's highest batting average in any year - .286______________Babe's highest batting average in any year - .393

Ohtani's highest slugging % in any year - .592__________________ Babe's highest slugging % in any year - .847

Ohtani is deserving of being compared to Babe Ruth_______________?????

no way in heck____________he's not even remotely close______________________so very ridiculous

his greatest one year production is not even close to that of Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays

he wasn't even close to being among the batting leaders for the 2021 season - except in home runs - he wasn't the leader but he was close

Babe had 4 less games per season for homers and RBIs - if he had 162 games the difference would most likely have been even greater

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 1, 2022
DRich
DRich
August 1st, 2022 at 6:23:19 AM permalink
If you are comparing their stats, you should only compare each players first four full years. I don't know how they compare but it is ridiculous to compare 20 years for one guy against four years for the other.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 1st, 2022 at 6:44:36 AM permalink

If you are comparing their stats, you should only compare each players first four full years. I don't know how they compare but it is ridiculous to compare 20 years for one guy against four years for the other.
link to original post

that wouldn't really be meaningful because the Babe's first 5 years in Boston he didn't bat in very many games - except for his last year -

so I looked at his last year in Boston and his first 3 years with the Yankees - when he batted in many more games

and again, it is a crush in the Babe's favor - I'm not going to post the stats - they're easy enough to find if you want to

this year Ohtani so far has the lowest batting average of any of his years except 2020 when he was injured

the same is true of his slugging %

his home run production is way off from last year - per game - so far

your post assumes he will improve as he gets more experience - and many players do

but that's far from guaranteed - pitchers may get very wise as to what kind of pitches he likes to hit

this is now his 5th year - not nearly as many years as the Babe but he's not a rookie anymore

it's pretty clear what his abilities are - I'm not knocking him - he is great - I'm just being realisitc

even if my greatest production in various categories for any year stats were not very meaningful - still__________

there is absolutely no reason for anybody to suggest that it is useful to compare him to Babe Ruth

it's just silly

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 1, 2022
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
August 1st, 2022 at 7:16:15 AM permalink
I have found other references that claim that Walter Johnson threw "about 100mph." The 122 ft/sec (83 mph) was a test conducted over a longer distance than 60 feet on a testing range in Remington labs.

Babe Ruth was a freak athlete -his strength, reflexes and coordination were freakish. He used a 59 oz. bat,and kept both hands down at the base of the bat to give himself more power, yet he posted incredible batting averages despite every pitcher in the league trying to pitch around him (he led the league in walks for many years.) During his career he was universally regarded as the best player in baseball and in the history of baseball. He was one of the most famous people in the world. During WWII battles Japanese soldiers would often yell "$%&* Babe Ruth!" at American soldiers.

So, I don't agree with tuttigym that Babe Ruth was not in the same class as Ted Williams, Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson and modern stars. Ruth's habits and personal behavior were deplorable but he was an amazing baseball player.

Ohtani is also an amazing athlete but his batting stats are closer to Harmon Killebrew/Dave Kingman than Babe Ruth.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
gordonm888
August 1st, 2022 at 7:31:55 AM permalink
I tend to think people comparing them aren’t trying at all to say Ohtani is “as good” as that there’s really no one else they can remember but him both pitching and hitting at a high level professionally.
  • Jump to: