2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 21st, 2021 at 7:09:15 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Bruh. You never had interest in watching Dominique and Spud era Hawks?

He may not be as old as us.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 21st, 2021 at 7:39:23 AM permalink
I get the idea he’s around twice my age. I was pretty young for Dominique and Spud but was really into the dunk contest stuff, so those guys were both big for that.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 21st, 2021 at 8:14:49 AM permalink

Bruh. You never had interest in watching Dominique and Spud era Hawks?

actually, I did enjoy watching Dominique - I forgot about him

I don't remember the Hawks as a team doing much when he was there
I would have to look it up - but I don't think they did much

I think of the Hawks as a team that has never in my time of watching really contended for the championship

I did look it up - they won one championship in 1958 and were in the finals in '57,58,60 and 61

at that time they were the St. Louis Hawks - 2 great players - Bob Petit and Cliff Hagan

actually, if you enjoy NBA history - they beat the Celtics and Bill Russell for the NBA Championship in 1958

nobody beat Russell and the Celts for the championship again until the 6ers in '67 - a very great team with Wilt, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham, Chet Walker and Lucious Jackson -

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 21st, 2021 at 8:19:01 AM permalink
Those were the St Louis Hawks. They didn't move to Atlanta until much later. Too many issues with restricted hotels for the NBA to play in the Jim Crow south. The Hawks were vagabonds, moving every few years- Buffalo. Tri-city, Milwaukee, St Louis....
Here is a lost bit of NBA history and the perfect subject for a What If. The St Louis Hawks drafted Bill Russell but traded him almost immediately for two big bodies to the Celtics. How would NBA history be without the Russell lead Celtics?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 2nd, 2021 at 3:36:05 AM permalink

in mid June Kyle Scwarber of the Nats was switched to leadoff hitter
since then he has hit 16 homers in 20 games
thru June 29 he hit 12 homers in his previous 10 games

he's helped jolt the Nats from last place to 2nd in the NL East 2 games behind the Mets

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 12th, 2021 at 2:59:12 AM permalink

Italian players celebrate in locker room after beating England in Euro

....................𝑳𝑨 𝑫𝑶𝑳𝑪𝑬 𝑽𝑰𝑻𝑨

here's the Italian fans celebrating in Rome:

billryan
billryan
July 12th, 2021 at 6:46:32 AM permalink
The Suns and The Bucks are in the NBA final.
This has special meaning to me because the first year I watched and paid attention to the NBA was 68/69 and these two teams were the dregs of the league. Both were competing for the first pick in the draft- a guy named Lew Alcindor. The Bucks won a coin flip and got to draft Alcindor. The Suns, drafting second took Neal Walk.
Over in the ABA, the Nets were given the opportunity to select Alcindor. He was from New York City, his parents had just bought a house in Queens, about ten miles from where the Nets were playing, and they had just committed to a brand new state-of-the-art arena.
It was thought the Nets were heavy favorites and that their signing him would hasten the proposed merger between the two leagues.

It was becoming obvious Alcindor wasn't going to play by the usual rules, and he boycotted the Olympics that year.
He said he wasn't going to negotiate and that the two teams should make their best offer and he'd accept the highest.
The Nets offered just under one million over three years and the Bucks came in about $30,000 more per year on a three-year deal.
Upon learning they were the under-bidder the Nets tripled their offer and even offered Alcindors father a lifetime employment contract.
It was by far the biggest contract ever offered an American pro athlete but Alcindor said negotiations lessen people's souls and stuck to his word, accepting the Bucks offer even though it cost him two million dollars.
Alcindor went on to win a title with the Bucks before moving to LA where he won a bunch more. The Suns and Nets are still looking for their first NBA Championship.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 12th, 2021 at 7:14:54 AM permalink
Well in theory Alcindor only won one nba title and Kareem Abdul Jabbar won the rest. But Alcindor won 3 ncaa titles and player of the year awards and Abdul Jabbar got none so there’s that. Between them they played in 19 nba all star games!!!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 12th, 2021 at 7:44:06 AM permalink

but in high school - Alcindor and Power Memorial couldn't beat DC's (actually Hyattsville, MD) Dematha H.S. - the 2nd time they met anyway
pretty sure the only game Power lost with Alcindor

love this vid - a brutal barrage of dunks - Jabbar dunks on Wilt and vice versa:

billryan
billryan
July 12th, 2021 at 9:23:56 AM permalink
Wiki says he went 79-2, with a 71 game winning streak. Power won the hypothetical National Championship when he was in 10th and 11th and finished second in 12th grade. It mentions that Lew feuded with his coach in his senior year after the coach called him a n---ger.
In any event, I think we can all agree he was no Tom McMillen.
Last edited by: billryan on Jul 12, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 12th, 2021 at 1:33:40 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

In any event, I think we can all agree he was no Tom McMillen.

when they matched up against each other in the NBA McMIllen crushed Jabbar

Jabbar was intimidated - he, like many others was afraid of McMillen - he was very worried that he would get posterized by a signature high flying McMillen jam

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 15th, 2021 at 4:01:16 AM permalink

Giannis's clutch block of 6'11" Deandre Ayton's attempted layup or dunk with 1:15 left and the Bucks up by only 2 points
it will prolly go down as one of the greatest blocks in NBA history

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 15, 2021
billryan
billryan
July 15th, 2021 at 6:49:05 AM permalink
I always got more pleasure out of blocking a shot than scoring, especially when the shooter never saw it coming.
That clip is a thing of beauty.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 16th, 2021 at 2:43:06 AM permalink

was going over some old baseball stats - real interesting - to me anyway
most fans have prolly not heard of Hack Wilson
he hold the single season RBI record with 191 which he hit in 1930
that same year he hit 56 home runs - that same year The Babe hit 49 homers and had 136 RBIs

the radical little dude stood only 5'6' tall - although he did weigh 190..........quite amazing

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 20th, 2021 at 2:51:02 AM permalink

pitcher's spin rates have declined dramatically since the foreign substance enforcement actions - and offensive production is way up

re Garrett Richards:

"This month, that spin rate has dropped by over 120 RPMs, leading to batters demolition of him at the plate. He has an opponent batting average nearing .385 this month."

and:

"the Dodgers gave Trevor Bauer $102 million over 3 years after batters hit .172 last year against his fastball that averaged around 2,770 RPMs, a number that has been rising consistently since 2018.

This month batters are hitting .320 against his fastball that has dropped down to 2,582 RPMs"

https://www.baseballspotlight.com/mlb-spin-rates-drop-astronomically-in-just-1-week/

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 21st, 2021 at 2:59:51 AM permalink

Giannis is only 26 and he only has one championship
but I think it's fair to say that he may very well end up being considered one of the greatest NBA players in history

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
DeMango
July 21st, 2021 at 3:51:21 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Giannis is only 26 and he only has one championship
but I think it's fair to say that he may very well end up being considered one of the greatest NBA players in history

Certainly he is different from all the other ‘greatest in history’ players. Ridiculous athleticism. Combined with height and strength. I still don’t think they beat a healthy Nets team. Maybe we find out next year.

Deandre Ayton needs Bill Russell to coach him up.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 21st, 2021 at 4:46:44 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I still don’t think they beat a healthy Nets team.

probably true.......but I think it's fair to say the big 3 are injury prone

the season was shortened to 72 games but still................

Durant played in just 35 games

Harden in just 36

and Kyrie in just 54

and of course, there was lots of missed time in the playoffs too

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 25th, 2021 at 1:53:28 AM permalink

she's the GOAT in her field for sure...............nobody has even tried to do some of the things she does............she's way over the top
she wears a picture of a goat on her jersey........................(~:/

Simone Biles

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 25th, 2021 at 2:47:41 PM permalink
Who are the frontrunners for MVP and Cy Young awards in the AL and NL?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 25th, 2021 at 3:02:48 PM permalink
Ohtani is a pretty heavy favorite in the AL around -300. The only argument against him is team record, no argument any player is near as valuable with the combined offense and pitching performance.

NL was Degrom but shifting towards Tatis Jr. with Degrom dealing with injury.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 25th, 2021 at 6:01:18 PM permalink
US basketball was able to hang with France for the full 40 minutes…. Durant/Tatum/Lillard/Holiday/Green/Middleton/Booker/Adebayo/et al no match for De Colo/Poirier/Luwawu-Cabarot/Batum/Fournier/Gobert
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 27th, 2021 at 2:34:03 AM permalink

Suni Lee dazzles on the uneven bars at the Olympics

see the whole routine here:

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 27th, 2021 at 1:49:55 PM permalink
Simone Bilas has "withdrawn" from the competition due to an injury. The most high-profile Olympian, probably in the world. What a shame. What a disaster for the media broadcasting the Olympics.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
July 27th, 2021 at 1:54:52 PM permalink
It wasn't physical injury. It was her mental status.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 27th, 2021 at 2:12:23 PM permalink
My understanding is she withdrew from the team competition and has yet to make a decision about individual.

Bigger disaster is Olympics are stifling any excitement and generating younger viewers or viewers outside of their traditional means by going to extreme levels of going after anyone sharing highlights online, many people being quickly suspended from social media platforms for copyright by sharing highlights.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
July 27th, 2021 at 5:49:04 PM permalink
Strange things are happening. Curse of the knee?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 29th, 2021 at 3:38:32 AM permalink

Covid or Delta or whatever is still messing up sports
the Nats posponed last nights game after 4 players and 8 staff members tested positive

Cleveland is changing its name to the Guardians

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sports/washington-nationals-have-covid-19-game-postponed-against-philly/65-558ec880-af42-4e1f-b0df-7bb920ce7a35

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 29, 2021
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
July 29th, 2021 at 8:17:00 AM permalink

Cleveland is changing its name to the Guardians

Too bad there is already a sports team in Cleveland named "Guardians!"
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
July 29th, 2021 at 5:01:56 PM permalink

My understanding is she withdrew from the team competition and has yet to make a decision about individual.

Bigger disaster is Olympics are stifling any excitement and generating younger viewers or viewers outside of their traditional means by going to extreme levels of going after anyone sharing highlights online, many people being quickly suspended from social media platforms for copyright by sharing highlights.

Allow me some speculative insight. I was a gymnast and a certified judge. Ms. Biles was not performing well. That first night, the team preliminary competition, she had major routine breaks in three of the four events ,i.e., floor, she was off the mat entirely on her first pass, beam, her dismount was highly flawed, and vault, she also was off the mat on her landing. She did hit her bars routine well. One could tell by her facial expressions and body language, she was disappointed and off her "game." The judges, however, gave her big scores which she did not deserve. The next night, the team competition finals, her first event was the vault, and she missed it completely. That is when she figured out it was over for her, and she exited. My personal sense of things is that she did the right thing, but her "excuse" for the exit was wrong. Here is why I believe her "excuse" was bogus: That second night during the team competition, she was present and cheering on her teammates which was great, however, she was also laughing, cavorting around, and, in general, in a great mood. To me, that was out of character for someone who was "suffering" some kind of "mental incident" that was detrimental to her well being.

I personally hope she gets it "together" to compete in the individual events, but as far as letting us know what really was going on, I have my doubts.

tuttigym
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
July 29th, 2021 at 5:32:22 PM permalink
Simone Biles has had a tue for meds her entire career. Japan is strict in what drugs can be brought in and what can be used legally. If she is off them, or even just missed some doses, that could have had a huge impact. I'm somewhat surprised that hasn't been looked into at all among media reports I've seen.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
July 29th, 2021 at 5:32:25 PM permalink
Simone Biles has had a tue for meds her entire career. Japan is strict in what drugs can be brought in and what can be used legally. If she is off them, or even just missed some doses, that could have had a huge impact. I'm somewhat surprised that hasn't been looked into at all among media reports I've seen.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 30th, 2021 at 1:43:06 AM permalink

lots of sympathy and understanding is being shown towards Simone

not saying that's wrong

but still, can you imagine LeBron saying he won't play in the 7th game of the NBA finals because of mental health issues

ESPN and all of the other talking heads would be trashing him for months

just sayin'

cool pic of Champion Suni Lee on the uneven bars - her specialty

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 30, 2021
billryan
billryan
July 30th, 2021 at 8:29:48 AM permalink
The Yankees went out and upgraded their unexpectedly weak offense by picking up two legit sluggers, and celebrated by going out and losing 14-0. Many people were thinking they might be sellers at the deadline but instead they made two huge moves. Almost as importantly, they did them and stayed below the salary cap, which had huge financial repercussions for next season.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
July 30th, 2021 at 8:46:57 AM permalink

The Yankees went out and upgraded their unexpectedly weak offense by picking up two legit sluggers, and celebrated by going out and losing 14-0. Many people were thinking they might be sellers at the deadline but instead they made two huge moves. Almost as importantly, they did them and stayed below the salary cap, which had huge financial repercussions for next season.

I was also surprised by the moves. Free agency has really changed pro sports these days. The number of moves in the MLB is amazing to see. Anyway, the 2 guys they brought in do have real power from the left side of the plate (a Yankee need). But they also strike out a ton, so they should fit right in. :)
Yesterday's game was disappointing. They were on the cusp of a nice series sweep with their "ace" pitching and they performed very poorly. Pitching is really becoming a problem for them (starters and relief). Hopefully these moves improve the team and they make a playoff run.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 30th, 2021 at 8:48:09 AM permalink

I thought baseball is the one major sport where there is no salary cap? Which gives teams like the Yankees and Dodgers a competitive advantage.
Keeneone
Keeneone
July 30th, 2021 at 8:50:57 AM permalink

I thought baseball is the one major sport where there is no salary cap? Which gives teams like the Yankees and Dodgers a competitive advantage.

The MLB has this:
https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax
The yanks are apparently right up against it already, but still trying to improve the team for 2021.
billryan
billryan
July 30th, 2021 at 8:52:53 AM permalink

It's not a hard cap but if teams exceed a certain payroll, they have to pay luxury tax that is prohibitive and I think it effects their ability to sign foreign free agents.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 30th, 2021 at 8:55:40 AM permalink
Ok so not really a salary cap. They could just call it a luxury tax like they do in basketball, would be a more accurate description of what it actually is.

Speaking of competitive advantage/disadvantage of how much money owners are willing to pay, there was a disturbing story a week ago published in many places about the Angels minor league system and the lack of support the team provides. Players living in their cars or many in an apartment, they need to and are expected to consume roughly 4,000 calories per day and the team provides 800-1000. If they’re at the level living out of their cars many can’t afford to eat the “right way” that a professional athlete really needs too, they’re forced to buy junk to get that many calories.
billryan
billryan
July 30th, 2021 at 9:02:17 AM permalink
The penalties add up and the Yankees were paying something like a 50% tax on their 200 million dollar payroll. Now the rules say if you go under one season, the system resets. As I understand it, it the Yankees exceed 210 million, they face a sixty million dollar fine next year and over a hundred million in 2023.
It's farce as they picked up two All Stars and had their former teams pickup up their salaries so the Yankee payroll actually went down since they traded two players on their ML roster.
billryan
billryan
July 30th, 2021 at 9:06:21 AM permalink
I have not seen Rizzo play much as I rarely watch non-Yankee games but I thought he didn't strike out a lot. I'm not real impressed with Gallo but he is a needed upgrade in left field. Brent Gardner is simply no longer an everyday player. He was expected to be the fifth outfielder and play once or twice a week. I think he will excel off the bench.
billryan
billryan
July 30th, 2021 at 11:31:56 AM permalink

Ok so not really a salary cap. They could just call it a luxury tax like they do in basketball, would be a more accurate description of what it actually is.

Speaking of competitive advantage/disadvantage of how much money owners are willing to pay, there was a disturbing story a week ago published in many places about the Angels minor league system and the lack of support the team provides. Players living in their cars or many in an apartment, they need to and are expected to consume roughly 4,000 calories per day and the team provides 800-1000. If they’re at the level living out of their cars many can’t afford to eat the “right way” that a professional athlete really needs too, they’re forced to buy junk to get that many calories.

A kid I mentored as a Big Brother is now a high muckity muck at a company that is taking advantage of this situation by giving cash advances against a percent of future earnings. It works something like this- they find kids with potential that are willing to sign a contract giving them $15-25,000 a year as long as they are in the minors in return for 5-10% of their major league earnings, including endorsements and such. They have about 30 players signed up and now they are looking at signing NCAA players. It's only two years old or so so they have not hit a homerun yet but several of their players are potential call ups this season. I was worried that this will take years to see a profit but supposedly they have very deep pockets. He was the CFO at a Hedge Fund for the last few years and was getting to retire when he was offered the job. He played college ball with Frank Viola and always felt he was major league material but didn't want to spend five or six years in the minors so he went to work on Wall Street instead. His company provides personal training and nutritionist to their clients, something I was surprised the teams don't offer.
I've mixed feeling about it, as you could say they are exploiting the kids, but if they help the kids make the big leagues, that can be game changer for the kid and his family.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 30th, 2021 at 1:41:39 PM permalink

the Wizards traded Russell Westbrook, who averaged a triple double, which nobody has done since Oscar Robertson did it in 1962, to the Lakers for 3 no names and the 22nd pick on Thursday

they're all about protecting and focusing on Bradley Beal

the Bullets/Wizards have not been in a Finals game since 1979 - count 'em - that's 42 years

are the Wizards morons.......................𝙊𝙃 𝙔𝙀𝘼𝙃

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31913935/sources-los-angeles-lakers-nearing-deal-acquire-russell-westbrook-send-3-player-package-pick-washington-wizards

billryan
billryan
July 30th, 2021 at 1:45:36 PM permalink
Playing on three teams in three seasons makes me wonder if there is a locker room problem.
Keeneone
Keeneone
July 30th, 2021 at 2:29:01 PM permalink

I have not seen Rizzo play much as I rarely watch non-Yankee games but I thought he didn't strike out a lot. I'm not real impressed with Gallo but he is a needed upgrade in left field. Brent Gardner is simply no longer an everyday player. He was expected to be the fifth outfielder and play once or twice a week. I think he will excel off the bench.

You are right about Rizzo. I always seems to get him mixed up with Schwarber for some reason.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rizzoan01.shtml
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schwaky01.shtml
The Red Sox got Schwarber.
Lots players going in all directions before the trade deadline.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 30th, 2021 at 2:30:13 PM permalink
Simply put, Westbrook does not contribute to winning basketball and accumulates his stats in a way that stunts the contributions/development of their other players. And he’s completely delusional about his own mortality. Most professional athletes are but he’s in a league of his own there.

Every single playoff series he always tries to make it into a personal duel vs the opposing superstar (and they just let him shoot and his team usually loses.) Look what immediately happened to Domantis Sabonis and Victor Oladipo’s stats as soon as they got away from him, two players who were unable to develop around him almost immediately became all stars. Look what happened to Harden in Houston as soon as he got away from Westbrook(the first time when harden left OKC). The only young player that ever developed after Westbrook was an established star during his time in OKC was Steven Adams.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 30th, 2021 at 2:58:35 PM permalink

the Wizards traded Russell Westbrook, who averaged a triple double, which nobody has done since Oscar Robertson did it in 1962, to the Lakers for 3 no names and the 22nd pick on Thursday

they're all about protecting and focusing on Bradley Beal

the Bullets/Wizards have not been in a Finals game since 1979 - count 'em - that's 42 years

are the Wizards morons.......................𝙊𝙃 𝙔𝙀𝘼𝙃

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31913935/sources-los-angeles-lakers-nearing-deal-acquire-russell-westbrook-send-3-player-package-pick-washington-wizards

I think calling them no-names is quite the exaggeration. I have heard of all three of those guys and I really don't watch NBA basketball. To me, Kuzma and KCP will probably be starters, I am not sure about Harrell.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 30th, 2021 at 3:13:17 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I think calling them no-names is quite the exaggeration. I have heard of all three of those guys and I really don't watch NBA basketball. To me, Kuzma and KCP will probably be starters, I am not sure about Harrell.

are you sure that the reason you've heard of Kuzma is not because he was a Laker?

many, especially on the West Coast and really all over the country tend to follow the Lakers closely

you're not on the West Coast but you're close

have you heard of Lauri Markkanen for the Chicago Bulls who has very similar stats?

I could be wrong but I doubt it - if I am wrong - sorry

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 30th, 2021 at 3:32:52 PM permalink
Kuzma and Harrell are both mostly empty calories just like Westbrook. Harrell won a sixth man award, Kuzma was on an all rookie first team and KCP was a starter on a title team who was their third best player in that finals. They’re all mediocre but they all have non trivial achievements as pros.

The thing about how the nba salary cap structure works often they’re really trading for contracts rather than players. If the Wizards are ever actually good again chances are none of them is on that iteration of the team, and it was apparent Westbrook wasn’t going to be either.Breaking it into three players who make close to the average salary only one of whom is guaranteed more than three million beyond this year makes it easier for them to make other moves; they were stuck with Westbrook and it was obvious the team was going nowhere. It still probably won’t work, but trying it again if they could get an asset is that old insanity definition it’s an achievement that the Wizards weren’t the one attaching a pick.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 30th, 2021 at 3:59:30 PM permalink

Look what immediately happened to Do Look what happened to Harden in Houston as soon as he got away from Westbrook(the first time when harden left OKC). The only young player that ever developed aftmantis Sabonis and Victor Oladipo’s stats as soon as they got away from him, two players who were unable to develop around him almost immediately became all stars.er Westbrook was an established star during his time in OKC was Steven Adams.

you have some points but the not at all magical Wizards won at a clip of .347 the year before they got Westbrook to .472 last year with him

and Beal had his biggest scoring year ever with Westbrook averaging 31.3

what are the Wizards hoping Beal will do without Westbrook - average 40 per game?

and that's going to cause them to improve?...........not a good bet at all

• Jump to: