2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 13th, 2020 at 12:30:05 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

But seriously, the NFL will want as many fans as allowed by the local authorities.

We'll see. lol
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
August 13th, 2020 at 1:54:42 PM permalink

You mean is the NFL going to allow teams to not have fans? Sure. The visiting team gets a percentage, I think 20%, of ticket revenue. It is why there are PSLs (not included in ticket sales). And certain suite revenue is not included as well. Nor revenue from the $12 Budweisers.

But seriously, the NFL will want as many fans as allowed by the local authorities. If you are concerned about the competitive advantage that rabid fans would bring, the Bills would be in the Super Bowl every year. And all five Jacksonville fans in their stands ...... you get my point.

Speaking of Jacksonville, between players who have opted out and are injured, the Jaguars are down to a total of half a dozen defensive players from their first two teams. Right now, they'd be lucky to win an SEC division.

The NFL will go forward come hell or high water. What happens come late October, when flu hits along with Covid surges and everything blows up even worse? Should be entertaining to watch the NFL attempt to plow ahead after everyone else pulls the plug.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
redietz
redietz
August 13th, 2020 at 1:58:21 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

We'll see. lol

It'll be interesting to see if Jerry makes fans sign waivers before attending games, like President Trump's Tulsa rally. I don't see how he can proceed without the waivers, otherwise the whole league is responsible. He'll either have to get waivers instituted or sign some kind of compartmentalization contract where he assumes full legal responsibility as opposed to the NFL in case of Covid lawsuits.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
August 15th, 2020 at 3:18:24 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

All games are home games, in a sense. The 76ers may do extremely well.

Quote: lilredrooster

absolute nonsense

76ers home record in Philly - 29-2

76ers record in Disneyworld 4-4

76ers overall record before Disneyworld - 39-26

76ers standing Atlantic Division 3rd out of 5

76ers standing Eastern Conference - 6th
Please don't feed the trolls
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 15th, 2020 at 5:23:48 AM permalink

76ers home record in Philly - 29-2

76ers record in Disneyworld 4-4

76ers overall record before Disneyworld - 39-26

76ers standing Atlantic Division 3rd out of 5

76ers standing Eastern Conference - 6th

I agree that all games are NOT home games, but closer to neutral site games. But I think Philly would play in Timbuktu if Ben Simmons was available. His loss is more important to Philly than location of the games.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 16th, 2020 at 6:26:56 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO home games, . . . . . neutral site games. ............. Ben Simmons. [q/

Egads, you sports types sure do track a lot of information.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 18th, 2020 at 3:47:28 AM permalink
The Kansas City Chiefs announced plans to allow fans at the NFL's season opening game next month

from the article:

"The Chiefs said they had “finalized plans for a reduced capacity of approximately 22 percent to kick off the 2020 season.” That would mean a capacity of a little under 17,000 fans at a stadium that usually seats more than 76,000."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/17/chiefs-announce-plans-have-fans-nfls-season-opening-game/?hpid=hp_sports1-8-12_chiefsfans-815pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 18th, 2020 at 9:58:53 AM permalink
The NFL (and the Kansas City Chiefs) are revealed as money -grubbing idiots. They will allow 17,000 fans in the stadium? When they say that fans will be "required" to wear masks, does that mean that it will be enforced? Because requirements without enforcement is worth very little.

The Chiefs organization says they are "following NFL guidance."

"The NFL .. said that decisions on whether to have fans in attendance at games this season would be made on a team-by-team, city-by-city basis, based on local guidelines and health restrictions related to the pandemic."

What a circular ass-covering pile of crap.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 18th, 2020 at 12:34:38 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The NFL (and the Kansas City Chiefs) are revealed as money -grubbing idiots. They will allow 17,000 fans in the stadium? When they say that fans will be "required" to wear masks, does that mean that it will be enforced? Because requirements without enforcement is worth very little.

"The NFL .. said that decisions on whether to have fans in attendance at games this season would be made on a team-by-team, city-by-city basis, based on local guidelines and health restrictions related to the pandemic."

Disagree with your assessment 100%. The KC Chiefs play in Kansas City, Missouri. Like ALL businesses in KC, MO, the government has set requirements for businesses to be open. Just like restaurants are limited in capacity, and have certain mask wearing requirements, so will the Chiefs. Why on earth would a business not choose to do business following the exact guidelines that their local governments put forth? I know you don't care, but the NFL owners, like ANY business owners, are in business to make a profit. Though they do take in a bunch of $$$ from TV, they take in (guess) $60 million or so from tickets. parking, beer, in stadium advertising, etc.....

You ask about enforcement? I'll bet you any amount that there will be MORE enforcement than a locally owned restaurant.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 18th, 2020 at 1:06:22 PM permalink
The Royals and Cardinals are playing without fans.
I'm not sure if the NFL can allow some teams to have fans and others not. I would think they would want an even playing field.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
redietz
redietz
August 18th, 2020 at 2:16:43 PM permalink
With all of the Covid-19 fallout, here's the uplifting story of the day. LOL. Evidently the Charlotte announcer referred to the Denver Nuggets as the Denver N******. There's a spelling error for you.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2905213-hornets-broadcaster-john-focke-suspended-indefinitely-after-tweeting-racial-slur?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
August 18th, 2020 at 2:57:25 PM permalink

Disagree with your assessment 100%. The KC Chiefs play in Kansas City, Missouri. Like ALL businesses in KC, MO, the government has set requirements for businesses to be open. Just like restaurants are limited in capacity, and have certain mask wearing requirements, so will the Chiefs. Why on earth would a business not choose to do business following the exact guidelines that their local governments put forth?

No other sports team has proposed having 10,000+ live spectators. No other sports business has made the trade-offs and come to the decision that the Chiefs have. You should be asking "Why on Earth?" are the KC Chiefs making a decision that no one else is making?

I know you don't care, but the NFL owners, like ANY business owners, are in business to make a profit. Though they do take in a bunch of $$$ from TV, they take in (guess) $60 million or so from tickets. parking, beer, in stadium advertising, etc.....

You ask about enforcement? I'll bet you any amount that there will be MORE enforcement than a locally owned restaurant.

There are not 17,000 people in a restaurant.

And this disease is airborne and the smallest water droplets sprayed from a mouth will remain in the air for minutes or longer. Large crowds really should be avoided. The chance of a large number of people being infected at a sporting event, concert or theme park is simply too high.

And people who are in business should worry about their reputation being tainted by starting large outbreaks. Its not good for the "brand."
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Aug 18, 2020
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
August 18th, 2020 at 3:52:26 PM permalink
I have read the Dallas Cowboys plan on having fans in the stands this season. Something like ~50% capacity, so around 40k for ATT Stadium.
Seems like a super aggressive plan imho.
https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-release-plans-for-having-fans-at-att-stadium
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/dallas-cowboys-nfl-2020-season-stadium-guidelines-tailgating-coronavirus
Last edited by: Keeneone on Aug 18, 2020
billryan
billryan
August 18th, 2020 at 5:21:10 PM permalink
It won't just be 17,000 fans. There will be parking concessions, concessions in the stadium, ground crew, broadcast crew, security, news media, bus drivers, car services, so on and so forth. I think the old Giant Stadium employed close to 3,000 workers for a Giant game.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 19th, 2020 at 4:02:09 AM permalink

Those who are afraid to go are free to stay at home. I applaud the Chiefs for trying to get us back to normal.

If.........

Nope, can't bring that up or I will get suspended.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
redietz
redietz
August 19th, 2020 at 6:20:22 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Those who are afraid to go are free to stay at home. I applaud the Chiefs for trying to get us back to normal.

If.........

Nope, can't bring that up or I will get suspended.

AZDuffman is absolutely correct. I salute the Chiefs and Cowboys for trying to get Americans back to normal. In fact, I am going to formally write to the Noble (spelling?) Committee and see if I can get both teams' ownership nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. All those in favor, say Die! Ooops, I meant Aye!

The Ayes have it! Or the Dies. One or the other.

I wonder if signing waivers will be part of the ticket-buying process. I suspect so, as the league will want to compartmentalize liability so not all teams are at legal risk.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 19th, 2020 at 6:44:58 AM permalink

AZDuffman is absolutely correct. I salute the Chiefs and Cowboys for trying to get Americans back to normal. In fact, I am going to formally write to the Noble (spelling?) Committee and see if I can get both teams' ownership nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. All those in favor, say Die! Ooops, I meant Aye!

The Ayes have it! Or the Dies. One or the other.

I wonder if signing waivers will be part of the ticket-buying process. I suspect so, as the league will want to compartmentalize liability so not all teams are at legal risk.

Why would they get a prize for just running a normal business? I do not see how one could sue for something so unprovable, but in today's sue happy society maybe they will.

Nobody is forcing anyone to go to a game. Why be so upset about it?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
AZDuffman
August 19th, 2020 at 7:28:46 AM permalink
I’m not sure anyone will need to sign a liability waiver. I expect the tickets themselves will have a specific terms and conditions liability waiver in them already. And using the ticket counts a agreement with those terms and conditions.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 20th, 2020 at 1:04:45 PM permalink
Blazers beat the Lakers Game 1 - game 2 tonight
Damian Lillard now shooting 3s from close to half court - way, way out there

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 20th, 2020 at 2:27:01 PM permalink

No other sports team has proposed having 10,000+ live spectators. No other sports business has made the trade-offs and come to the decision that the Chiefs have. You should be asking "Why on Earth?" are the KC Chiefs making a decision that no one else is making?

There are not 17,000 people in a restaurant.

And this disease is airborne and the smallest water droplets sprayed from a mouth will remain in the air for minutes or longer. Large crowds really should be avoided. The chance of a large number of people being infected at a sporting event, concert or theme park is simply too high.

And people who are in business should worry about their reputation being tainted by starting large outbreaks. Its not good for the "brand."

So you are calling the leaders of the municipalities that were elected by the local populace idiots? That they cannot interpret the scientific data and make a safe decision for their constituents? The number of people is not the only factor. 200 college kids in a dorm room having an orgy might be riskier than 17,000 fans, masked, spread out in a stadium that holds 70,000, don't you think? I'm assuming you don't own a theme park, nor work at one? Let's say no effective vaccine is made... you want theme parks closed forever? No fans at sporting events forever? It will never be safe enough for you without an effective vaccine, right?

What is not good for 'the brand' is to not be putting out their product indefinitely.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
August 20th, 2020 at 3:06:26 PM permalink
If we had rapid very widely available inexpensive testing we could move forward towards close to normal acceptably safely for most without a vaccine. The rapid saliva tests the NBA is using cost around $4 to produce, and supposedly if it’s made widely available there’s supposed to be pretty strict limits on what for profit providers can upcharge. I’d assume that will make many for profit healthcare providers flat out refuse to consider using them for that reason using the excuse of less accurate though and this clown show we’re dealing with now will continue indefinitely but.....
If it’s 90% accurate but you’re testing near daily that’s much better than the more accurate tests with longer wait times the general public is dealing with now. With a limited amount of fans you could even set up an area to do that before entry or require proof of a recent test to skip it.

Even though our testing is more widely available now, in many areas of the country the tests that need to be sent in to the lab are close to useless if the patient isn’t considered in the “priority 1” category due to ridiculous delays. I did a CVS minute clinic drive through test about three weeks ago because I was going to visit my parents in about a weeks time and was paranoid about minor dry cough, headache and fatigue off and on I had been feeling for a couple days. It took TWO ENTIRE WEEKS to get the results back. Completely pointless. Didn’t visit them, not a big deal I guess. But in many cases any potential spreading damage would already be done and you’d no longer be contagious in most cases, and are contract tracers supposed to attempt to track starting from from a month or so back then? It’s utterly embarrassing.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
August 25th, 2020 at 7:38:04 PM permalink
Lucas Giolitto completed a no hitter for the Chicago White Sox tonight against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/pirates-vs-white-sox/2020/08/25/631499#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=631499
https://www.mlb.com/player/lucas-giolito-608337
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 27th, 2020 at 2:58:18 AM permalink
IMO in basketball the rim should now be raised to 11 feet
some players would still dunk and there would still be some great shooters
it would provide exciting challenges for the players and new interest for the fans
in a way similar to how the 3 pointer changed the game

all the 7 footers out there are over the rim without even jumping
it is now at the point of being almost ridiculous
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 27th, 2020 at 4:12:32 AM permalink

IMO in basketball the rim should now be raised to 11 feet
some players would still dunk and there would still be some great shooters
it would provide exciting challenges for the players and new interest for the fans
in a way similar to how the 3 pointer changed the game

all the 7 footers out there are over the rim without even jumping
it is now at the point of being almost ridiculous

Apparently if the rim was raised it would make the game MORE dominated by lumbering big men, as rebounding would gain importance over shooting. To me, the 'walking' or 'traveling' that is almost never called is a major detriment. And the ridiculous jumping into the defender to draw contact plays are also a big negative.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 27th, 2020 at 4:30:45 AM permalink

Apparently if the rim was raised it would make the game MORE dominated by lumbering big men, as rebounding would gain importance over shooting.

I strongly doubt what you posted here
first, the offensive rebounder, unless fouled, can still score only 2 points
there will still be great 3 point shooters who can score 3 points on one attempt
the 3 point shooters will still have an immense impact on the game
also, the ball will have to be shot higher, as the rim is higher - this means it will come down with more velocity and cause many rebounds to careen farther away from the basket than with the basket at 10 feet as it currently is

but no worries
the decision makers in basketball are a long way from doing this
they are very conservative and only the success of the creative thinkers in the ABA caused them to allow 3 pointers
if it wasn't for the ABA it probably never would have happened
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 27th, 2020 at 12:02:15 PM permalink

Apparently if the rim was raised it would make the game MORE dominated by lumbering big men, as rebounding would gain importance over shooting. To me, the 'walking' or 'traveling' that is almost never called is a major detriment. And the ridiculous jumping into the defender to draw contact plays are also a big negative.

I would like to see that happen too, but basketball wants high scoring games so they won't be changing it anytime soon.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
August 27th, 2020 at 12:04:52 PM permalink
Great news!!

College football is starting in 7 days with two games next Thursday. I am getting very excited.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
August 27th, 2020 at 1:06:30 PM permalink

And the ridiculous jumping into the defender to draw contact plays are also a big negative.

This was an unintended consequence of the rule change to protect a shooters landing area due to players like Bruce Bowen and Zaza Pauchila's "habit" of placing a foot in between an airborn shooters legs leading to more ankle injuries. Agree it's a huge negative for several reasons

John Hollinger, former VP of the Memphis Grizzlies and invented the efficiency metric PER wrote an excellent thought provoking artice around this issue for The Athletic. He proposed a rule change of only two shots awarded on a three point shot foul for first 46 minutes of the game, switching back to three in the final two minutes to eliminate the advantage of intentionally fouling three point shooters in scoreboard situations.

https://theathletic.com/1360529/2019/11/20/hollinger-the-three-shot-foul-is-a-bad-rule-badly-enforced-with-bad-side-effects-it-needs-to-go/#:~:text=Women's%20College%20Basketball-,Hollinger%3A%20The%20three%2Dshot%20foul%20is%20a%20bad%20rule%2C,effects%E2%80%94%20It%20needs%20to%20go&text=In%20the%20case%20of%20the,bad%20behavior%20and%20stylistic%20monotony.

It's pay-walled but you should be able to find a free trial somewhere if you like.

I'll try to summarize his four reasons for a rule change: 1) Disproportionate return for penalty committed. (2) Creates more contact rather than reducing it, the opposite of the intent of rule change protecting shooters landing area (3) Refs aren't able to call or enforce it correctly from positions they are generally standing on the court. (4) Incentivizes poor behavior and stylistic monotony that makes the game less entertaining.

(1) Disproportionate return.
This really creates points #2 and #4 also: Average two point shot attempt is worth 1.04 points, average three point shot attempt is worth 1.06 points. The shot attempts are worth about the same but foul is way different. Based on league average free throw shooting two shot foul worth 1.56 points, three shot foul worth 2.33 points. If you adjust for the fact that the guys getting fouled on three point shots are much better than average shooters it's near 2.56 points. Value for a flagrant foul 2 shots+possession is 2.6 points. The penalty for a three point foul is the equivalent of intentionally closelining a guy in the air.

(2) Creates more contact rather than reducing it as landing area rule intended:
Players are sticking out their non shooting leg hoping to tag someone because of the combination of disproportionate return of three shot foul and the landing area rule, increasing contact. Also leads to a lot of garbage heaves combined with flops guys throw up with no prayer of making it when they feel any contact coming off a screen that they would never attempt if it was a two shot foul.

(3) Refs can't call it correctly:
They are generally positioned where either they have no depth perception and can't tell if the leg kick is straight out or to the side, or they are positioned too close where they can't really watch both the shooting motion and legs simultaneously.

(4) Incentivizes behavior that makes game less entertaining: Disproportionate return of three shot foul discourages defense from challenging the shot, encourages the leg kickout foul seeking behavior and garbage no chance heaves initiating contact with the defender fighting through screen.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Aug 27, 2020
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 10th, 2020 at 3:01:58 AM permalink
Wow - really cool highlights of Raptors beating Celts in double o.t. in game 6 to force a game 7

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 10th, 2020 at 3:01:57 PM permalink

Wow - really cool highlights of Raptors beating Celts in double o.t. in game 6 to force a game 7

I watched the game. Kyle Lowry took a bunch of ridiculously bad shots.... that all went in.... Anunoby buried clutch 3's... again Van Vleet had a 30 second run with NINE points.... kemba, jalen, Theis, all deserved to be on the winning side.....

I am happy Toronto won as there will now be a game 7....

By the way, one of my pre-season picks was Toronto to NOT make the playoffs. You could have gotten 75-1 I think for them to win the championship.

I also think Marcus Smart is a player I would do everything I could to get if I was a contender.
kewlj
kewlj
September 10th, 2020 at 11:12:49 PM permalink
Phillies and Marlins opened a 7 game series today. Marlins won today, Doubleheader Friday, single game Saturday, Doubleheader Sunday, single game Monday. "We are going to need a bigger boat" (filled with pitchers). lol
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 14th, 2020 at 10:47:53 AM permalink
After the Steelers play today I will owe SOMEONE here some money! I remember betting that either Brady or Roethlisberger would not be throwing a pass this year in the NFL. Unless the Steelers run every play I'm in trouble. Perhaps a pre game injury?

Brady was OK, but not a threat to be a top 10 QB in the league. Same with Rivers. Brees wasn't great either. Mahomes and Jackson are the present AND future.

The Bills were better than their 10 point win over the Jets. Two bad fumbles by the QB. And the dreaded 'prevent' defense at the end of the game. Plus two short FG misses. My betting selections probably hit at around 49% lifetime... but Bills lost two GREAT LBs, Milano and Edmonds. It will hurt them a lot next game against the Fish. (I know Dolphins are mammals.) Bet on the "Fish" +4.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 14th, 2020 at 12:26:05 PM permalink

After the Steelers play today I will owe SOMEONE here some money! I remember betting that either Brady or Roethlisberger would not be throwing a pass this year in the NFL. Unless the Steelers run every play I'm in trouble. Perhaps a pre game injury?

Brady was OK, but not a threat to be a top 10 QB in the league. Same with Rivers. Brees wasn't great either. Mahomes and Jackson are the present AND future.

The Bills were better than their 10 point win over the Jets. Two bad fumbles by the QB. And the dreaded 'prevent' defense at the end of the game. Plus two short FG misses. My betting selections probably hit at around 49% lifetime... but Bills lost two GREAT LBs, Milano and Edmonds. It will hurt them a lot next game against the Fish. (I know Dolphins are mammals.) Bet on the "Fish" +4.

Roethlisberger might dislocate an elbow brushing his teeth, or something. Should probably do it left-handed, just in case. Seems like the guy is always hurt, but you'd need a...um, well, it wouldn't be a miracle for him, would it?---for him not to therow a pass this season.

I thought Brady looked pretty okay, in spots. I wouldn't necessarily conclude that he won't be a Top 10 QB in the league. You have to figure that there was no pre-season, so they haven't had to deal with a game environment and that was his first game with most of those guys. These things take some time to gel. I also don't know how many times Brady is going to have to prove people wrong before they'll finally give up on that pursuit.

Also, barring four quarterbacks throwing for 3+ TD's tonight, Brady's currently at least tied for at least 10th in passing TD's.

I don't know what to make of Brees, aside from the general statement that Week 1 isn't always the best indicator of anything.

PROS:

-Brees didn't make many huge mistakes.
-60% Completion Rate is good
-Looked comfortable in the pocket.

CONS:

-Tampa Bay had the 30th ranked pass defense last year, so you should look AWESOME against them, not just okay.
-The 60% completion rate owes itself to a lot of dump off type passes and screens.
-Some of the drive-extending plays were mostly due to TB mistakes. The play that stuck out most to me was a drive extending pass on third down...I think on NO's first scoring drive. Anyway, it's just a little dump pass one or two yards beyond the line of scrimmage with five TB defenders in camera shot...how are you going to let that happen when you know at least one receiver is going to run a route just past the sticks!!!!???

I agree on the Bills, all anyone has to do is look at the box score to know they were in control throughout. "Allen looked really good," is a sentence I didn't expect to be typing this early in the season.

No bet from me, I probably like the line right about there.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Joeman
September 14th, 2020 at 1:49:15 PM permalink

What? No love for Gardner Minschew. He was 19/20 with three TD's.

kewlj
kewlj
September 14th, 2020 at 11:39:34 PM permalink
Don't know if this is the right section, but That new Rams / Chargers Stadium, I think it is called SoFi Stadium....WOW!!!!

I am not usually that impressed with stadiums. I could take them or leave them. But I want to see that stadium up close.

For those that didn't catch the Rams game, you must be able to google it and come up with a video. If so take a look. From the outside it looks like a very modern....I can't even say stadium, because it does not look like a stadium. It is open on the sides and doesn't look tall enough to be a stadium because the field is about 100 feet underground and half the stadium seating is underground. They said this was because of close proximity to LAX, but it is just a really cool stadium....let's make that "kewl" stadium.
redietz
redietz
September 14th, 2020 at 11:52:34 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Don't know if this is the right section, but That new Rams / Chargers Stadium, I think it is called SoFi Stadium....WOW!!!!

I am not usually that impressed with stadiums. I could take them or leave them. But I want to see that stadium up close.

For those that didn't catch the Rams game, you must be able to google it and come up with a video. If so take a look. From the outside it looks like a very modern....I can't even say stadium, because it does not look like a stadium. It is open on the sides and doesn't look tall enough to be a stadium because the field is about 100 feet underground and half the stadium seating is underground. They said this was because of close proximity to LAX, but it is just a really cool stadium....let's make that "kewl" stadium.

The stadium has a "World of Tomorrow" look to it. I guess if you build a place like that, the least you can do is call a phantom offensive interference penalty so the home team wins its debut in the stadium.

My condolences to your Eagles, kewlJ. That was bad.

I'm still not used to seeing "Washington Football Team" as an entity on scoreboards.
kewlj
kewlj
September 15th, 2020 at 12:06:04 AM permalink

My condolences to your Eagles, kewlJ. That was bad.

I'm still not used to seeing "Washington Football Team" as an entity on scoreboards.

Yeah, with no preseason, I didn't keep up with the Eagles as much as I normally do. I only learned last week that they have serious injuries on the Offensive Line before the season even starts. I think they had 2 guys playing their first game and Jason Peters who is now like 60 years old. lol. Peters was a great tackle for many years, pro bowler, but the last few years has really slipped. He is often injured and just old and slow now. They only brought him back to be a backup and now he is starting again.....for how ever long he lasts before injury.

That said, 8 sacks weren't all the O-lines fault. Wentz has never learned to get rid of the ball. If nothing is open, throw it away, especially on first and second down. This is year 5 for Wentz and it doesn't seem like he is progressing at all. Looks like a long season ahead.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 15th, 2020 at 2:32:18 AM permalink

Hail to the Washington Football Team,
Hail Victory...............
redietz
redietz
September 15th, 2020 at 9:56:34 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Hail to the Washington Football Team,
Hail Victory...............

That was good. I'll try to work on some lyrics.

One of things, kewlJ, that I did say about Wentz when he came into the league, was that he was polished, and even had 1-AA playoff experience out the wazoo. What that meant was he was ready to play, but had a development ceiling because he was already developed. He's a good QB, but this is about as good as he's going to get, unlike most college QBs heading into Year Five.
billryan
billryan
September 15th, 2020 at 10:04:28 AM permalink
The Steelers defense last night was incredible. The Giants don't have the best offense but it was sickening watching what the Steelers did to them.
They held Barkley to six yards on fifteen carries.
DRich
DRich
September 15th, 2020 at 1:44:36 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

The Steelers defense last night was incredible. The Giants don't have the best offense but it was sickening watching what the Steelers did to them.

If Fitzpatrick, Watt, and Dupree can stay healthy they may be the best defense in football.
redietz
redietz
September 15th, 2020 at 1:45:35 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

And Snell is no longer a fantasy sleeper.

Steelers need a tight end. The Ravens games will be fascinating because Jackson will be up against a complicated, blitz-heavy defense that adjusts on the fly. And that is physical and tackles well. On the flip side, Jackson can slide away and torture blitzes. The Raven tight end might catch 10 balls against the Steelers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 23rd, 2020 at 9:34:02 AM permalink
Nikola Jokic - old highlight

I've never ever before seen a 7 footer do this or anything like it:.....................................(-:\

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 24th, 2020 at 3:27:16 AM permalink
R.I.P. Gale Sayers

truly great - on the field and off the field

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/sports/football/gale-sayers-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Sports

billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2020 at 9:13:40 AM permalink
I didn't get a chance to see Mr Sayers live, or even on television much, but his highlights were amazing. Brians Song was incredible, as was the story it told. People today don't realize how ground-breaking their friendship was. I believe they were the first interracial roommates in the NFL. Gale went on to to be the public face of a very successful computer company, as well as being heavily involved in several charities. He retired from public life a few years ago when dementia set in.
Rest In Peace.
unJon
unJon
September 29th, 2020 at 7:50:18 AM permalink
Here comes the NFL’s first Covid test. Reports are that the Titans have shut down their facilities after multiple players tested positive. Also hearing that the Vikings have shut their facilities though no word yet of test results. (The Vikings played the Titans on Sunday)
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
redietz
redietz
September 29th, 2020 at 12:43:51 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Here comes the NFL’s first Covid test. Reports are that the Titans have shut down their facilities after multiple players tested positive. Also hearing that the Vikings have shut their facilities though no word yet of test results. (The Vikings played the Titans on Sunday)

Here's the part where I mention that, as of two months ago, Tennessee was dead last in mask wearing out of all 50 states -- checking in at a lovely 15%. Now things have improved here recently, due mainly to two things -- the state is running commercials advocating mask wearing and chain stores, such as Kroger and Kohls, have made mask-wearing mandatory inside the stores.

Not at all surprised Tennessee is first on the NFL list. The NFLPA will put the hammer down as they warned back in June that two-thirds of NFL players are categorized as "high risk" due to underlying conditions. The linemen almost all qualify as obese, for example. It's going to be a mess.

Next up will be either the Texas teams or the Florida teams.
unJon
unJon
September 29th, 2020 at 2:59:39 PM permalink

Here's the part where I mention that, as of two months ago, Tennessee was dead last in mask wearing out of all 50 states -- checking in at a lovely 15%. Now things have improved here recently, due mainly to two things -- the state is running commercials advocating mask wearing and chain stores, such as Kroger and Kohls, have made mask-wearing mandatory inside the stores.

Not at all surprised Tennessee is first on the NFL list. The NFLPA will put the hammer down as they warned back in June that two-thirds of NFL players are categorized as "high risk" due to underlying conditions. The linemen almost all qualify as obese, for example. It's going to be a mess.

Next up will be either the Texas teams or the Florida teams.

NFL currently saying Titans will play. Maybe delay game to Monday. Let see how sustainable this “next man up” mentality is.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
DeMango
September 29th, 2020 at 4:04:17 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

NFL currently saying Titans will play. Maybe delay game to Monday. Let see how sustainable this “next man up” mentality is.

If they have 11 people healthy they should play the game.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
September 30th, 2020 at 10:32:21 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

If they have 11 people healthy they should play the game.

I don't think that's reasonable. Why the hostility towards the team because coaches and players have what is reported to be 6 positive tests ?
  • Jump to: