1 vote (5.26%)
4 votes (21.05%)

19 members have voted

DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 21st, 2018 at 8:50:37 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

He had a rough start against a quality team in the Bosox this week.
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-angels/2018/04/17/529655#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=529655

But there seems to be no denying he is a draw to the ballpark.
3 game mid week set against Boston attendance (from MLB box scores):

Tue = 44,822 (night Ohtani pitched)
Wed= 34,508
Thu = 36,253

I didn't see that game, but according to some post-game reports I saw, I understand there may have been an issue with a developing & expanding blister that was becoming apparent in the 2nd inning, on a finger on his pitching hand of course.

I understand he had blister issues that kept him out for several months during one of his seasons in Japan, but he's been quoted as saying he thinks this one is relatively minor and no big deal. I do think there's some special cause for concern along these lines with him moving right into MLB level starting pitching with no minor league development & gradual adjustment period other than spring training work.

What I particularly wonder about is the subtle physical adjustment to gripping the different ball. Japanese professional baseball uses a ball that is a little smaller diameter and is wound more tightly than MLB specs, which also gives them a small resulting difference in seam height. I think it might not take much difference to matter. Especially on the most sensitive between-the-fingers area of skin tissue that's particularly important for throwing some breaking balls, while being in a process of developing slightly different pressure points and subtle potential differences in grip angles. Put simply, his Japan ball calluses might not be in exactly the right spots for the same pitch now.

But he slides pretty. Impeccable form. He could give lessons on that to some teammates to help keep them off the disabled list.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Apr 21, 2018
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:47:29 AM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

He had a rough start against a quality team in the Bosox this week.
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-angels/2018/04/17/529655#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=529655

Yes he did. He pitched 2 innings and gave up three runs and left with a blister on his hand.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:44:15 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes he did. He pitched 2 innings and gave up three runs and left with a blister on his hand.

He played (DH) today and went 1 for 4 with 2 strikeouts. He is also listed as starting @ HOU on Tuesday. I look forward to watching that division rival game on tv.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:49:50 PM permalink
I'm driving to the game on next Sunday. Hope he plays.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:14:24 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm driving to the game on next Sunday. Hope he plays.

If he pitches Tuesday you probably won;t see him pitching Sunday.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
April 27th, 2018 at 7:45:55 PM permalink
Ohtani 1st at bat ever against the New York Yankees
He goes yard
.349/.391/.698 4HR
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
May 4th, 2018 at 5:01:47 AM permalink
Ohtani continues to hit well
2 for 3 last nite for a pretty impressive slash line of .327/.373/.618.

"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
May 4th, 2018 at 8:04:14 AM permalink
I was very disappointed he didn't play Sunday. I was looking forward to seeing him.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
May 4th, 2018 at 8:22:29 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I was very disappointed he didn't play Sunday. I was looking forward to seeing him.

Unlucky timing, but at least the Yanks won.

Watching Ohtani bat is like watching a bigger and stronger Ichiro Suzuki.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
May 4th, 2018 at 9:02:04 AM permalink
Being TOO GOOD really EARLY has turned out to be bad in the long run. For instance, there was an American Idol contestant who blew both the live audience, the viewing audience, and the staff away with her amazing,"And I Am Telling You," reinedition. The applause was thundering. The rub was she did it very early on, like her third performance. My sister said something with a worried frown on her face,"That performance was amazing but it's a bad idea to have done it so early on. She should have done it much later on because it will be hard to top that. I predict she'll be gone in a few episodes" The woman was eliminated like 4 episodes later and I told my sister and she said"I knew something like that was going to happen once she did such an amazing song so early. What did I tell you? I called it!"

I have a feeling that this baseball player would have done better if he started off shaky and THEN gradually snowballed into a fantastic player. Being a fantastic baseball player so early on could end up badly and he is already receiving some backlash.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D

• Jump to: