Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
December 26th, 2017 at 5:58:17 PM permalink
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/buffalo-bills-vs-miami-dolphins-odds-picks-from-elite-nfl-handicapper/

Someone has to be in the top 1% in any contest. But it’s sad to see CBS buy into this.

Reminds me of the old USA Network shows with Feist, Feiner, Warren (Lasky), Jeff Allen, Root and all the others.

Never blame another for trying to make a buck, but player beware. For only $9.99 a month you too can be a winner!
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 26th, 2017 at 8:34:27 PM permalink
Pretty clearly sponsored content. In other words someone at sportsline wrote the article and paid cbs to post it.

You'd think they'd be more discriminating.

Still, I think it's worse when various espn shows and personalities have these guys on as guests and lend them legitimacy.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 26th, 2017 at 8:54:07 PM permalink
On first glance, I'm pretty disappointed with CBS on this.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 26th, 2017 at 9:15:13 PM permalink
When you search, at least for me and people like us, you just learn to not click on anything from CBS.

They have a few scripts, the one that I chuckled seeing the most, when they say the people who bet with [insert tout], are "way, way up". It surprised me another phrase from the ads slipped into my vocabulary, when I tried claiming I had "my finger on the pulse of the NFL" or someone else didn't, could only see a flat line, no bips, no beeps.
I am a robot.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
December 28th, 2017 at 9:35:15 AM permalink
I don't see too much of a problem with it. How else are these places supposed to make money if not with ads?
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
December 28th, 2017 at 9:45:01 AM permalink
What's the problem with this ad? I don't get it....
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
December 28th, 2017 at 10:23:41 AM permalink
Quote: SM777

What's the problem with this ad? I don't get it....

It's an ad for a con artist who is knowingly selling losing financial advice.

I guess to Tom's point, the internet is full of stuff like this. Arguably, Jim Kramer, and many of the investment firms advertising on TV are doing the same thing, except they are selling blind guesses on a historically +ev game, so it's less damaging.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
djatc
December 28th, 2017 at 1:57:38 PM permalink
Can't find any ethical difference between this one and ads for loan sharks that come up nearly every break on some radio stations.

-----

Get cold calls from these guys sometimes, most often around the start of football season. They always ask how much I bet, both to see how much of a mark I am and to anchor me to a high figure so that $50 for "information" seems reasonable. This year I was straight forward and said I don't give out financial information over the phone. Then when he asked again I told him I would give all my business to their competitors even if they weren't as good because they are much more respectful of my privacy. Hopefully it hurt to hear that given how shitty his job and hard it is for them to earn their commission.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
December 29th, 2017 at 5:21:29 AM permalink
Speaking of that, I heard a particularly bad loan shark ad today. DLC now does these ads where they interview their customers, which is supposed to make them sound like a compassionate company or something, as the ads are very touchy feely.

In this one, they talked to a guy who was taking out his max loan of $1200 to buy christmas gifts for the kids. Him and the interviewer kept saying, "it's all about the kids," back and forth. It was almost like a biting satirical sketch about legalized loan sharking.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
December 29th, 2017 at 6:14:10 AM permalink
They post similar BS ads before Derby day, claiming some expert "who has picked the last nine derby winners, including 7 cold exactas". Yeah, right.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 29th, 2017 at 7:34:16 AM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

They post similar BS ads before Derby day, claiming some expert "who has picked the last nine derby winners, including 7 cold exactas". Yeah, right.

As you might have guessed, as I'm guessing, they have multiple people to tout, some have picked winners, some have not. The ones that have they sell. If not that, they just make it up.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: