boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
November 1st, 2017 at 9:45:49 AM permalink
I think tonight's game will be more about pitching "lack-of-performance" over offence and defensive blunders. And bad bullpen decisions. Using Morrow for 3 in a row was a poor decision. The Astros have sidelined their closer. I would not be surprised at all to see Kimbrel come in tonight.

Watching the 13-12 game was not fun. People call that an incredible game, but it was for the wrong reasons. No world series team should have a pitching staff that allows 12 - 13 runs, never mind both teams. Clearly that game was about bad management -- pulling their starters out too early and allowing an exhausted bullpen to work. It seems to be the playoff culture. And in a game 5 where it was pressure-packed and where pitchers were exhausted, I think it was a terrible decision to go to the bullpens so early.

I would bet on the Astros if I could, because it really is a crap shoot and spending $100 to win $125 is better than spending $100 to win $65. I think Springer is the hero for the Astros with a go-ahead double in the top of the 9th against Jansen.

Looking forward to the game!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 138
November 1st, 2017 at 12:03:29 PM permalink
It was like going to a World Series game and watching a bar league softball game break out. 13-12 is not a great game. It might be a fun game to watch, but watching pitcher after pitcher on what is supposed to be an elite team utterly fail to do their job doesn't make it a great game. Go scroll ESPNs 20 greatest games and see how many of them have scores in double digits for both teams.
Give me a 4-3 game any day. Unless, of course, my team gives up 12 runs. Then I certainly want them to score at least 13.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
November 1st, 2017 at 1:31:43 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Give me a 4-3 game any day.

Yes. Won by some sparkling defense and great work on the basepaths.

Double digit dingers flying around the ballpark isn't the kind of baseball I prefer to see either, but I've mostly come to be at peace ('cause I have no choice) that that's how it is in the game now, and will probably be for a while. And how it has been becoming since the middle of 2015, when the increase in scoring led by an explosion of home run hitting began, quite suddenly, as the supply of MLB baseballs was replenished from the factory in Costa Rica.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2017/06/baseball-s-power-surge

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in-mlbs-new-home-run-era-its-the-baseballs-that-are-juicing/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-juiced-balls-the-new-steroids/

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/14/16044264/2017-mlb-home-run-spike-juiced-ball-testing-reveal-155cd21108bc

Quote: Ben Lindbergh & Mitchel Lichtman

<SNIP>...The current barrage began in earnest immediately after the 2015 All-Star break, leading to the largest increase in the rate of home runs/batted ball between a season's first half and second half since at least 1950 (when Baseball Prospectus's database begins)....<SNIP>

And I strongly suspect that all has contributed a lot to current fashion in how starting rotations and bullpens get used, whether well or poorly, and maybe inevitably to eventually get pitching staffs covered in jalapeno batter & deep-fried.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Nov 1, 2017
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
November 1st, 2017 at 9:17:14 PM permalink
Okay, so cancel the heroic statue. The "under" won, but it wasn't a particularly well played game from where I sit. I think one of them staggered to the conclusion better than the other, even though I think they were two very good baseball outfits.

Ya wanna git sum political incorrectness? Well I gotcha ur politically incorrect right here pal:

So, must adjust now to no major sports for the next five months. But the sports calendar isn't going completely dark; tomorrow in the Fall League the Surprise Saguaros play an afternoon game and the Scottsdale Scorpions host a night game...
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Nov 1, 2017
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
November 1st, 2017 at 9:24:31 PM permalink
Dodgers ran into some bad luck, balls hit hard at people with people on base. In the end they left too many runners on and once Morton came in the Dodgers never threatened again.

Like I said, a crap shoot. Darvish choked. If Darvish was anything "Darvishlike" you'd see a pretty different result I am guessing.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
November 7th, 2017 at 11:58:50 AM permalink
If you don't already have it on the way, you missed your chance:

Quote: auctions.mlb.com

2017 World Series Game 7 Game-Used Dirt Jar (Astros First World Series Championship in Franchise History)

Sold Out
PRICE: $49.99
Listing #: 2073870

Listing Type: BUY NOW

Maybe they should've charged more.

• Jump to: