Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
October 19th, 2017 at 6:25:03 PM permalink
Quote: RisingDough

I'm a HUGE Cubs fan and of course I wanted a win in game 4! I'd love a comeback however unlikely it is. I actually think our season probably comes to an end tonight but you never know.

It is never fun to watch your team lose in the playoffs.

Quote: DrawingDead

I think this would be an excellent time for Chicago to panic.

After that grand slam by Kike, Cubs fans should be worried about 2017...
----------

Papa John's marketing math question: I need two pizzas. Do I choose this offer (after a Grand Slam tonight):
https://www.mlb.com/sponsors/papaslam

Or this one:
PROMO CODE: GET2NOW
Buy any Pizza at regular menu price and get a 2nd pizza of equal or lesser value free
:)
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
October 19th, 2017 at 6:36:54 PM permalink
That's funny about the pizza! I'm happy the Dodgers are up 9-0. No thanks to Joel I'm gonna beat the book today and that puts me at about 16% picking lifetime I think.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 8
October 19th, 2017 at 8:51:11 PM permalink
#KikeMyFriend

No offense to Mr. Dough, as these remarks are not directed at his Cub at all, only for other people's Cubs:

Gooooooooooooooooal! Cubs lose, Cubs lose, Cubs lose, and the Cubs lose!

With that accomplished all is now well and good with the universe once again, no matter the outcomes from here on. And incidentally, I also get to be paid for my little wager from 10/12 booked at the kinda sorta okay price then of -160 on LA to win the Pennant in the NLCS.

End of gloat, and Cubs corpse dance.

IMO, if it becomes NYY vs. LAD the location may be likely to matter more than usual for how individual games are played moving through the series. Dodger Stadium and the Yankees ballpark are polar opposites, probably pretty good representatives of far ends of the NL/AL difference (especially in most NIGHT games in Dodger Stadium), and each team is particularly well constructed for their ballpark. If Houston gets through, methinks not so much contrast & advantage/disadvantage from contrasting 'park effect' and the optimal style of play called for.
Keeneone
Keeneone
October 19th, 2017 at 9:22:49 PM permalink
Is it good news or bad news for Houston's playoff aspirations that an Astros coach (Alex Cora) is going to become the next Boston Red Sox manager?
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
October 20th, 2017 at 12:57:52 AM permalink
Cubs got killed tonight - it was sad to see the Cubbies be out of it before the 4th inning. Wow. Though I wanted the Dodgers to win, I wanted to see a better game.

I think the Yankees finish off the Astros this weekend. Yankees starters have figured it out an the bullpen seems to be invincible and the offense has awakened. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all of the way and upset the Dodgers. Yankees right now are better on paper, but either team can win.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 20th, 2017 at 10:34:05 AM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

IMO, if it becomes NYY vs. LAD the location may be likely to matter more than usual for how individual games are played moving through the series. Dodger Stadium and the Yankees ballpark are polar opposites, probably pretty good representatives of far ends of the NL/AL difference (especially in most NIGHT games in Dodger Stadium), and each team is particularly well constructed for their ballpark. If Houston gets through, methinks not so much contrast & advantage/disadvantage from contrasting 'park effect' and the optimal style of play called for.

I'd like to rephrase that slightly: Nevermind.

The National Weather Service is warning of a heat wave in LA for a few days next week, which happen to be the days scheduled for games 1 & 2. And instead of the usual 7pm night games they will start at 5pm to accommodate the national TV broadcast. While during the days scheduled for games 3, 4, 5 NY is supposed to get drizzly, showery, chilly. All of which could completely flip the script between how those ballparks affect play. Or not. So nevermind.

I have no intention of doing this, but I was a little curious what tickets would be going for with a World Series being played in Los Angeles. I've heard that maybe a few people live there, and some of them might have a little money to spend on sporting events. Apparently that rumor is true, since the cheapest bad seats near the top of the upper deck start at over $900 and climbing (in the secondary market on StubHub) and of course it ranges up and up in price from there and you could spend over $20k for a really good seat, or around fifty grand for a couple of them. You could, but I won't be doing any such thing.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 20th, 2017 at 12:18:45 PM permalink
Break-even level of probability implied in current (noon 10/20 - prior to ALCS gm. 6) median of futures betting odds / FiveThirtyEight probability estimate of winning World Series:

Los Angeles Dodgers...64%/56%
New York Yankees.......29%/30%
Houston Astros............15%/14%
Keeneone
Keeneone
October 20th, 2017 at 8:43:43 PM permalink
Poor performance for the Yankees hitters and Girardi. Congrats to J. Verlander and the Astros.

Game 7 coming up...
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 108
October 20th, 2017 at 9:53:51 PM permalink
I expected it to go Seven. Was hoping it wouldn't but with CC taking the mound, we have all we could ask for.
Been playing with house money since Cleveland.
Yankees are undefeated in elimination games.
CC has won ten straight starts following a Yankee loss.
The Preseason favorite ,at home, against a team few people would even make the playoffs preseason.
Does it get much better than this?
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 20th, 2017 at 9:56:41 PM permalink
Quote: #PuigYourFriend

May the nice fans all get to enjoy much good beisboll tomorrow for 23 innings.

Sincerely
Your friend
YPuig

EDIT at 9am-10/21 to add:

ALCS Game 7 odds at LV books range from
NYY +124, HOU -132 (SouthPoint); to,
NYY +110, HOU -120 (Jerry's Nugget)

FiveThirtyEight's probability estimates:
ALCS Game 7 & AL Pennant: NYY 48%, HOU 52%
To win the World Series: LAD 57%, NYY 21%, HOU 22%
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Oct 21, 2017

• Jump to: