Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 23rd, 2011 at 8:53:20 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

1985 chicago bears

If only...

Does anyone remember the Dream Bowl that ran once or twice on ESPN?

They built up the ideal, dream, teams mixing players and coaches from different eras without regard to reality orplaussibility, and simulated the results, allegedly on a computer. The video wizards at NFL films stitched together a weekly game and highlights, ending in a Dream Bowl.

It was an interesting flop, IMO. What I recall vividly was that Chuck Noll was coaching on one team while playing tight end, I think, on the other :)

Anyway, take any Noll team from 74 to 79, any team at all, and they'd beat the vaunted 85 Bears like a drum :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 23rd, 2011 at 9:35:24 PM permalink
There will never be another Bears team like that. Owners want offense and will change the rules to ensure that happens. remember the " Bump and Run " defense. Pretty soon a defender will get a penalty for even waving bye-bye at a receiver as he streaks towards the end zone.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 23rd, 2011 at 9:52:46 PM permalink
Whereas a large body of fans want stifling, bone crushing defense.

Go figure.

I prefer to see a swarming D, with a stupid stretch offense. My dream team would be the Greatest Show on Turf, with Barry Sanders in the backfield, with Early 2000 Ravens on defense.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 23rd, 2011 at 10:00:27 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

There will never be another Bears team like that. Owners want offense and will change the rules to ensure that happens.

Owners want Super Bowls rings. They'll do what it takes to get them. Let two or three teams win big on the strength of their defense, and you'll see the fad move the other way.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
docsjs
docsjs
  • Threads: 22
August 27th, 2011 at 6:54:11 PM permalink
Sorry to be late, but it will be Jets losing to the Saints
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
August 27th, 2011 at 7:02:14 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Hi Wizard. Will you be the prize sponsor for this year's "Predict the Teams to Make the Super Bowl near Worthless Wizard of Vegas Contest"?

Yes!!! Thanks for reminding me. Let me make a separate thread for this year.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: