Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 25th, 2010 at 10:20:15 AM permalink
Who'd you bet on, right now, to win the Superbowl come February 2011?

I want to place such a bet, mostly for kicks and for around $10. My brother advised me to pick the 4 likeliest and bet on all of them. Rigth now that's, in no particular order: Indianapolis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and New England.

So, who do you think will win? Multiple choices of up to 4 or 5 teams are ok. I'd have made it a poll, but writing down al 31 teams is a lot of work (yes, I said thirty one (three-one) teams; it's not a mistake or a typo, just sarcasm).

PS this gives an excuse to at long last visit a sports book here in Mex City.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 25th, 2010 at 10:26:51 AM permalink
Good idea. I hope you don't mind if I steal it, and make it an official contest.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
August 25th, 2010 at 10:28:22 AM permalink
Go right ahead.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 25th, 2010 at 12:17:20 PM permalink
What are the odds on those four favorites?
What are the odds on the less favorite but also decent-chance teams?
I'll go look up exactly how the super bowl is defined and be back later. I know alot of money rides on it but it seems most of the money is bet only after the contenders are known.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 25th, 2010 at 3:36:08 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I want to place such a bet, mostly for kicks and for around $10. My brother advised me to pick the 4 likeliest and bet on all of them. Rigth now that's, in no particular order: Indianapolis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and New England.

So, who do you think will win? Multiple choices of up to 4 or 5 teams are ok. I'd have made it a poll, but writing down al 31 teams is a lot of work (yes, I said thirty one (three-one) teams; it's not a mistake or a typo, just sarcasm).

PS this gives an excuse to at long last visit a sports book here in Mex City.

PIT and NE are too highly rated, in my book, and the Saints too lowly. Minnesota are in a bubble effect around Favre, but this is a 40 year old who tosses up a lot of Interceptions trying to win games himself.

I'd say the top four are the Saints, Jets, Packers and Colts.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
August 25th, 2010 at 3:58:00 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

PIT and NE are too highly rated, in my book, and the Saints too lowly.

I'm a Steelers fan. I have to pick them.

I think the Pats are through, but brady's healthy and Bellichick seems to remain sane. And my brother thinks they'll do well. he follows football a lot more closely than I do, so I tend to take his advice seriously.

Quote:

Minnesota are in a bubble effect around Favre, but this is a 40 year old who tosses up a lot of Interceptions trying to win games himself.

Favre's always thrown a lot of itnerceptions. He's a gunslinger, it's what he does. I think he threw on average less interceptions last year with the Vikings than his average with the Packers.

Quote:

I'd say the top four are the Saints, Jets, Packers and Colts.

I'm sure the Saints will do what the Giants, the Ravens/Browns and Bill Cowher did when they finally won the big one after so many years of trying: they'll go down because they ahve nothing left to strive for. They may correct it next year, but not this year.

The Packers don't really have a team yet. They wasted Favre's talents for nearly a decade, too. Rodgers is good, but a fair Qb does not a team make.

As for the Jets, they're institutionally incapable of winning. They are the league's most promising team: they've been promising to win the Superbowl since 1971.

The Colts have a good chance, especially if they go in as a wildcard team.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 25th, 2010 at 5:17:58 PM permalink

I'm a Steelers fan. I have to pick them.

I can't love the Steelers, though I should for the blue-collar hard nosed defence. Their "stolen"(*) superbowl left a sour taste in my mouth (I'd watched the 'hawks for the first time that year, in Seattle). And Big-Ben annoys me.

(*) In the cold light of day, there was only one blown call in my book (**), and the Seahawks didn't do enough to win themselves.

(**) The illegal block by Hasselbeck on the Interception return that set up the broken-ladder gadget play. Not a valid penalty on interception return, and hardly a block when you come across a player to make a tackle on the ball carrier... which he did.
Quote:

I think the Pats are through, but brady's healthy and Bellichick seems to remain sane. And my brother thinks they'll do well. he follows football a lot more closely than I do, so I tend to take his advice seriously.

I always discount the Pats. I probably do so at my own loss.

Quote:

Favre's always thrown a lot of itnerceptions. He's a gunslinger, it's what he does. I think he threw on average less interceptions last year with the Vikings than his average with the Packers.

Indeed that is what he does. Except he does it when he shouldn't. He's good. He's fun to watch. He has Purple Jesus. I just don't see it.

Quote:

I'm sure the Saints will do what the Giants, the Ravens/Browns and Bill Cowher did when they finally won the big one after so many years of trying: they'll go down because they ahve nothing left to strive for. They may correct it next year, but not this year.

I'm not sure. The Saints have a lot more character in their locker room than the Giants, and they are keeping a lot of the old crowd together.

Quote:

The Packers don't really have a team yet. They wasted Favre's talents for nearly a decade, too. Rodgers is good, but a fair Qb does not a team make.

They have a solid defence and enough on the offence to win games and the division.

Quote:

As for the Jets, they're institutionally incapable of winning. They are the league's most promising team: they've been promising to win the Superbowl since 1971.

I probably over-rate the jets as much as under-rate the Pats, but after last years season, they've stepped it up. I really didn't like them until the play offs, as I thought they over-achieved with a decidely average team, but watching them on the road to the Superbowl, I started to like them a lot more.

Quote:

The Colts have a good chance, especially if they go in as a wildcard team.

One day the Colts will be the basement boys again. It'll just not be while Peyton Manning takes snaps and has a defence that can ball hawk. So we agree on something...

BTW, was the 32nd team the boys in Honolulu Blue?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
August 26th, 2010 at 8:16:41 AM permalink
Just two notes:

1) Bad calls by the officials are part and parcel of the game. they can happen in any game. Replay minimizes some, but nothing will ever eliminate them entirely.

2) No QB ever should throw an interception. They all do, of course, and someitmes it doens't matter at all. But there's no good time to throw one any more than there is a good time to fumble the ball.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
August 26th, 2010 at 10:07:17 AM permalink

2) No QB ever should throw an interception. They all do, of course, and someitmes it doens't matter at all. But there's no good time to throw one any more than there is a good time to fumble the ball.

Not quite true. Third and long, deep in own territory, team is ahead. QB throws a deep interception--the job of the receiver is to tackle the opposing player who catches the ball, not to catch the ball himself. This is a better result than a punt and possible runback on fourth down.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Nareed
Nareed
August 26th, 2010 at 10:10:10 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Not quite true. Third and long, deep in own territory, team is ahead. QB throws a deep interception--the job of the receiver is to tackle the opposing player who catches the ball, not to catch the ball himself. This is a better result than a punt and possible runback on fourth down.

It's chancy to trust a receiver to tackle anyone. But, sure, it might be a better result. Still, can you cite a purposeful interception? I've never seen one nor heard of any.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 26th, 2010 at 2:05:23 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

No way... the fourth down will take place a few seconds later, so time of the clock. The special teams on punting are much more likely to make a clean tackle than a variety of recievers, some of whom couldn't tackle a paper bag (and some are Hines Ward), plus if your that worried, your punter should be able to angle a punt to bounce once and then out of bounds.

There are less worse times to through the INT, or least out the ball out there with some risk. Favre has a tendency to through the INT when he didn't need to be throwing.
Nareed
Nareed
January 5th, 2011 at 1:36:44 PM permalink

Apologies for quoting myself.

I never placed the bet :( Something always came up.

Anyway, I must say I didn't pick that well. The Vikes self-destructed, Pittsburgh looks shaky and Indy has had a roller-coaster season. The Pats, to my surprise, have the best record in the League.

Thecesspit did better, picking NO, Jets, Packers and Colts. He picked playoff teams, and the Packers look a lot better now than they did before the seaon started.

If the Steelers don't get to the big game, I may place a bet on the Superbowl.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 5th, 2011 at 1:57:31 PM permalink
Well bloody hell, I'd forgotten my picks there... :) The Pats are the favourites though (I once again under estimated them).

Pats/Falcons Superbowl, anyone?
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 5th, 2011 at 2:01:08 PM permalink
I'm a lifetime Steelers fan, born and raised and first half of my life in da Burgh. As such, I follow just about anything Steelers on the internet, and something that has worried Steelers fans is the way Brady and Brees (in the second half) picked the defense apart with the ball control passing game.

Here is an article detailing the changes the Steelers made in response to that shredding. Up to and including the NE game, the Steelers were #29 in pass defense; since the NE game they've been #1.

Now, of course Belichick knows this, and has his own response planned. But it also means that response is untested. If the Steelers meet the Pats in the AFC Championship, I call it even, because it won't be so much scheme against scheme as it will be matchup against matchup.

That being said, there's no guarantee the AFC Championship will be Pgh/NE. Other teams get something to say about it, too. Pgh/Indy is no walk in the park. I think Pgh would beat Balt, though, the teams aren't as evenly matched as people say. I don't know enough about KC. It is impossible for Pgh to face NYJ, if the Jets win they go to NE.
A falling knife has no handle.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
January 5th, 2011 at 2:23:29 PM permalink
I've GOT New England picked to win SuperBowl 2011...as for the other team, I say Philadelphia Eagles.
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 5th, 2011 at 2:36:29 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Well bloody hell, I'd forgotten my picks there... :) The Pats are the favourites though (I once again under estimated them).

Pats/Falcons Superbowl, anyone?

I will go with Packers/Pats, which, given my picking record, guarantees Green Bay and New England's destruction.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
January 5th, 2011 at 2:54:06 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I'm a lifetime Steelers fan, born and raised and first half of my life in da Burgh.

Ah, I knew there was something just right about you ;)

I always suffer when I see the Steelers play. It seems as if every other team can mvoe the ball, but not the Steelers. And every team can stop the ball, but not the Steelers. I know that's not the case, but that's what it feels like. Of course it's because I care for the team. When there's no emotional stake, what a team does or doesn't do simply doesn't hit me at all.

Does anyone else feel that way?
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
January 5th, 2011 at 3:25:59 PM permalink
I don't recall seeing this thread before. Probably because I was in Vegas at the time, placing a bet on the Jets to win the Superbowl. They were going off as the favorite at 6-1 at the first several books I checked. Placed the bet downtown at 8-1. Later found 'em at 10-1, dang it.

I liked the bet better in August than I do now. Anyway, made it to the playoffs, so step 1 is complete.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
January 5th, 2011 at 3:45:24 PM permalink
It's going to be the Seahawks. Yeah that's right, I'm calling it right here and right now.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 5th, 2011 at 3:48:40 PM permalink
I made two other predictions on the superbowl.

I think I had Saints/Jets in the wizard predictions, but also did a mid season one as well....

If the Pats do win this year, I'm lumping it all on the 49ers for 2012...
  • Jump to: