GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
June 13th, 2016 at 6:13:37 AM permalink
Yeah I thought it was awkward having them on the ice but I think it is like that every year.

I don't understand the wide spread booing of bettman. I didn't realize he was hated that much.

I also have a picture of me touching the cup and the con smythe. The last time they won the Pens had a big party and I went to it. The cup was behind a rope but I reached over the rope and touched it. Then got yelled at by the cup keeper. Totally worth it.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 37
June 13th, 2016 at 7:33:40 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Yeah I thought it was awkward having them on the ice but I think it is like that every year.

The losing team stays on the ice until the traditional handshake is finished. The Captain of the winning team starts the handshake. Crosby took way too long to do that. It made it awkward when it is normally just part of the end of the series. Once the handshake is done, the losing team skates off and the presentations begin. I also noticed that the referees stayed on the ice (off in a corner, on one knee)--I guess because of how truly awesome it is to see the Cup awarded. Refs usually depart quickly...

I don't understand the wide spread booing of bettman. I didn't realize he was hated that much.

People just don't like him.

I also have a picture of me touching the cup and the con smythe. The last time they won the Pens had a big party and I went to it. The cup was behind a rope but I reached over the rope and touched it. Then got yelled at by the cup keeper. Totally worth it.

Very nice!!
GWAE
GWAE
June 13th, 2016 at 7:42:28 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

The losing team stays on the ice until the traditional handshake is finished. The Captain of the winning team starts the handshake. Crosby took way too long to do that. It made it awkward when it is normally just part of the end of the series. Once the handshake is done, the losing team skates off and the presentations begin. I also noticed that the referees stayed on the ice (off in a corner, on one knee)--I guess because of how truly awesome it is to see the Cup awarded. Refs usually depart quickly...

People just don't like him.

Very nice!!

Ahhh I didn't realize the captain started it, just kinda thought it was organized by someone. No clue why I thought that.

Being the losing team while they celebrate has got to be absolutely horrible. I can just imagine the jealousy and envious feelings that they have. Especially the older people or the ones who know they are retiring this year.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 69
June 13th, 2016 at 11:46:05 AM permalink

The Conn Smythe, I am not so sure about, although it definitely goes back to at least when Gretzky played, as he was given one after they had already handed out the Stanley Cup. I can think of two reasons they made the switch to before; one, so they don't have to interrupt the celebration, and two, just in case somebody on the losing team wins it (and it has happened - the commissioner usually tips this in advance by saying something like, "Remember, the Conn Smythe is for the entire playoffs, and not just the finals").

The Cup itself is always done on the ice, as one of the NHL's greatest traditions is "skating the cup." It has changed in recent years; it used to be that the team skated pretty much along the edge of the ice surface, handing it from one player to another, but now the team just stands around in one spot while whoever has the cup skates out alone before handing it off.

As for booing Bettman, when was the last time a commissioner of one of the "big four" was not booed at an event like this. or at the league draft? Each league's commissioner is considered the figurehead for everything that is wrong with the league.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 40
June 13th, 2016 at 2:43:04 PM permalink
I give you your 2016 Conn Smythe winner: Act Like You Play in the NHL, not the EPL

I love it how today's headline read "Crosby Solidifies His Legacy" when it should say, "NHL Decides Crosby Career is 'Good Enough' for Conn Smythe"

Tell me again how you are the most valuable player in the playoffs when your team is outscored with you on the ice?

I know, I know, when you are the leading scorer on your team that, that makes you the most valuable...wait, that was Phil Kessel on the HBK line (the most valuable line for the Pens), scratch that theory.

Here is what makes sense, Crosby backstopped the Pens throughout the playoffs coming is as an unproven rookie, bouncing back hard from every loss to be unbeaten in the next games posting a sub 2.00 GAA in those games...oh wait, that was Matt Murray. No doubt in my mind the Pens don't win the Cup with "Flowers" in net even if he was healthy all season...the guy is the Pens "Niemi"...one Cup and done, the Pens won in spite of Flowers performance in 2009 (2.61 GAA/SV% 0.908)...but definitely pick Cindy over Murray for the CS as Murray wasn't a difference maker.

And as far as Cindy "quarterbacking" the winning OT goal in Game Two of the Finals...what a joke. He goes back to Letang and says I am going to pull it back to you...just look how surprised Sheary is when he gets the puck from Letang: Sheary has no idea he is getting the puck...but I guess that was the 'quarterback' calling Sheary's number and forgetting to tell Sheary. Letang made that happen all Cindy did was win the puck on a face off. But again the NHL & Media make this big deal about how Crosby "QB's the play".

This was a clear knighting of Crosby by the NHL, which is fine, just tell it like it is. Cindy has been a phenomenal producer over his career despite acting like a European Soccer Player a lot of the time and we may not get another chance to give him the Conn Smythe so we are going to overlook other player performances this playoffs so Cindy can "win" it and not be the guy that got out shined by his teammates in both Cup wins...that won't play as well in the HHOF down the road!
GWAE
GWAE
June 13th, 2016 at 3:50:04 PM permalink
I can understand all the hating of Crosby especially from his early days but I really think this year he was a different player/person. He is definitely way over hyped by the media and thr NHL but I think that is out of desperation. They want so badly for him or anyone to be loved to draw ratings. From what local media said Pittsburgh crushed the ratings of all other cities thr entire playoffs. We had something like a 31 tv rating last night and that is with out the 20k fans who were at the arena to watch the game on the jumbotron. SJ only had a 7 rating. I think the NHL will do whatever they think will make the fans in Pittsburgh happy.

I definitely think Kessel should have won the con smythe. I was really hoping he would have won it. Toronto fans have got to be pissed about how he played.

In 09 I was at a bar watching game 7 and didn't pay much attention to the after game coverage and i generally don't watch it for other teams to win. What in don't understand is why trainers and other Un knowns get the cup on the ice and kiss it. I understand that they are important parts of the team but it feels awkward that they do that on the ice. Most of them don't even get their names on the cup. I think the on ice stuff should be limited to the playes and coaches.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 13th, 2016 at 4:00:19 PM permalink

Toronto fans have got to be pissed about how he played.

Nope. Proud of the lil gnome. Good for him =)

Quote: Paradigm

This was a clear knighting of Crosby by the NHL, which is fine, just tell it like it is. Cindy has been a phenomenal producer over his career despite acting like a European Soccer Player a lot of the time and we may not get another chance to give him the Conn Smythe so we are going to overlook other player performances this playoffs so Cindy can "win" it and not be the guy that got out shined by his teammates in both Cup wins...that won't play as well in the HHOF down the road!

Jesus Christ. Drop the mic and take your bow. Scared my kid I laughed so hard XD

Really enjoyed that, Paradigm. I decent rundown that, while biased, was steeped in fact. That's the type of perfect combo I can really appreciate.

And though that #$%@^# has a cup, and can still walk and talk, I will find solace in the fact that the Leafs haven't lost in a while.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
monet0412
monet0412 
  • Threads: 9
June 13th, 2016 at 4:50:11 PM permalink
I grew up near Pittsburgh and am a huge Pens, Steelers, and Bucco Fan. I do agree that other players should or could of won the Conn Smythe Trophy. However who gives a s---t about who won some dumb MVP award anyway. The point is that the Pens could of easily won a few more Stanley Cups in the last 7 years and it appears that most of you are just hating on the Pens. I wish Crosby would of broke Joe Thornton's knee on that whack in the first face off of Game 6! The Sharks played a very dirty series anyway and got away with a lot of penalties that should of been called. I seen Joe whack Crosby so hard his helmet came off followed by a cross check more than once in multiple games. The Sharks got what they deserved which was hot boiling broth making a tasty Shark Fin Soup!

Quote: RonC

One of my most treasured sports pictures is of me touching the Cup when it was on display at the Capital Centre during a playoff series.

I can relate to this. About 10 years ago I was downtown near the Fitz and low and behold there was the Stanley Cup. I got a lot of great pictures with me and my best friend with it. I wish they would of let me pick it up over my head but that is a no no I suppose. The only thing I wonder is if it was the Real Stanley Cup. I have heard rumors in the past they actually have a few fakes that travel around and nobody is the wiser :) !
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 37
June 13th, 2016 at 6:29:21 PM permalink
I know that Crosby was not the MVP of the Capitals series. I dislike that guy. I'd probably like him if he was on "my"" team...

I thought the goalie should win it...
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 40
June 13th, 2016 at 7:47:49 PM permalink
Quote: monet0412

....The point is that the Pens could of easily won a few more Stanley Cups in the last 7 years...

They actually would have win more Cups if they quit putting Cindy's friend, "Flowers", in net!
Quote: monet04121

...I wish Crosby would of broke Joe Thornton's knee on that whack in the first face off of Game 6!

You see, you root for and defend this instead of just saying Cindy is a cheap shot artist that needs to figure out how act like the elite player that he is...that is a problem with a lot of Pens fans. How can you defend him whacking that glove away from the opposing player in the previous link after the whistle was blown. He is just a loser that way.

You never see Geno do these sorts of things. Look how Cullen played for your Pens this year at what 38 years old...celebrate that. Or Bonino, total class act getting it done or Haglin, another class act getting it done. Or Phat Phil, who despite all the abuse while in Boston/Toronto, has never been a bad dude...he was one of the Pens I thought it would be great if he finally broke through. But instead Pittsburgh rallies around Sydney and buys all that Crosby gear?
Quote: monet0412

...I seen Joe whack Crosby so hard his helmet came off followed by a cross check more than once in multiple games...

You mean this: Cindy's Helmet Goes Flying...I keep looking for the puck in this picture as Crosby tries to pin Jumbo Joe to the boards. It was dished to the other side of the rink 5 secs prior (see Cindy looking for it after the helmet flies off). There should have been offsetting roughly and interference penalties called. Pierre was claiming on the broadcast how "Cindy has matured" by skating away there and not taking a retaliatory penalty....haha, Thorton would have buried Cindy and since he didn't have any teammates nearby, he knew he would get his head handed to him before help arrived. He couldn't afford to retaliate...there was no one there to tie up Jumbo Joe so Cindy could jump into his familiar roll of "third woman in" :-p

I am not hating on the Pens...just #87. Why....cause he deserves it! And Geno, Cullen, Bonino, Kessel & Murray should be celebrated...but as with the Conn Smythe, the right thing to do is harder to explain....the ugly truth that is Cindy Crosby is something the NHL nor Pens Fans really want to admit.

• Jump to: