MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
August 14th, 2014 at 6:55:29 PM permalink
Ayecarumba - It'll be some work, but something I've wanted to try for a while. I'd been a heavy NFL 'contest' guy for a long time, it's not unusual for me to be involved in 5-8 pools and leagues each season, but this is something new (at least for me) so I'm looking forward to it and curious to see how it goes. I have the tracking system already built in excel with all the inputs, calculations, and reports built in.

To address your questions.

If your strategy is to play two entries with the exact same bets, and those bankroll totals at the end of the season were the largest, yes, you would take first and second place money.

The minimum to go count is based on entries and not individuals. As long as we have 10 commitments by 8/28, others can still join through 9/6.

With LeagueSafe there are three payout rule options. One is that commissioner authorizes all payouts, the second that winning are only distributed after 51% of the league members approve the commissioners payout allocation, the third option is that all league members need to approve. We definitely need to go with one of the first two options. With the third option one unresponsive participant can hold up payment to the winners.

Winnings can either be held at LeagueSafe to pay for future league entries, or distributed by check (with a nominal fee), or to an Amazon e-giftcard (no fee). I'm not familiar with what information they will want to send a check.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 15th, 2014 at 2:40:58 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Ayecarumba - It'll be some work, but something I've wanted to try for a while. I'd been a heavy NFL 'contest' guy for a long time, it's not unusual for me to be involved in 5-8 pools and leagues each season, but this is something new (at least for me) so I'm looking forward to it and curious to see how it goes. I have the tracking system already built in excel with all the inputs, calculations, and reports built in.

To address your questions.

If your strategy is to play two entries with the exact same bets, and those bankroll totals at the end of the season were the largest, yes, you would take first and second place money.

The minimum to go count is based on entries and not individuals. As long as we have 10 commitments by 8/28, others can still join through 9/6.

With LeagueSafe there are three payout rule options. One is that commissioner authorizes all payouts, the second that winning are only distributed after 51% of the league members approve the commissioners payout allocation, the third option is that all league members need to approve. We definitely need to go with one of the first two options. With the third option one unresponsive participant can hold up payment to the winners.

Winnings can either be held at LeagueSafe to pay for future league entries, or distributed by check (with a nominal fee), or to an Amazon e-giftcard (no fee). I'm not familiar with what information they will want to send a check.

I'm a little wary of a service that offers to hold money without a cut, but if the contest goes as described, you can count me in.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
August 15th, 2014 at 4:18:45 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I'm a little wary of a service that offers to hold money without a cut, but if the contest goes as described, you can count me in.

They get to collect interest on everybody's money for the whole season. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who request a check payout.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 18th, 2014 at 10:40:48 AM permalink
How many entrants so far?
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 18th, 2014 at 11:40:21 AM permalink

How many entrants so far?

Thanks for checking. I'm counting eight if all the following are still going to play:

Vendman1
steeldco
JohnZimbo
GWAE
ATLiens
StrictlyAP
BeachBumBabs
Ayecarumba

If anybody is interested in a contest based on handicapping NFL games, please let me know. We need a minimum of 10 commitments by the end of the day on 8/28. The rules are posted on page 5 of this thread.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
August 20th, 2014 at 8:49:47 AM permalink
Count me in.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
August 20th, 2014 at 9:13:58 AM permalink
Count me out. Personal prejudice. Hate any contest that becomes a lottery the last few weeks.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 20th, 2014 at 1:03:15 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Count me in.

Got it, thanks.

Still looking for at least one more.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
August 20th, 2014 at 3:14:51 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

They get to collect interest on everybody's money for the whole season. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who request a check payout.

And I'm sure that Amazon gives them a cut of the gift cards. Just like those change-collecting machines at grocery stores. You can get cash for a fee, or the full amount in an amazon gift card.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 23rd, 2014 at 12:09:32 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Count me out. Personal prejudice. Hate any contest that becomes a lottery the last few weeks.

Buzz....it won't be near as much fun if you don't play. C'mon, sweetie!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 25th, 2014 at 11:09:26 PM permalink

Got it, thanks.

Still looking for at least one more.

Do we have critical mass?
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
August 26th, 2014 at 3:49:19 AM permalink
Count me in
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 26th, 2014 at 5:40:33 AM permalink

Do we have critical mass?

Not as of yet. The following indicated they would play:

Vendman1
steeldco
JohnZimbo
GWAE
ATLiens
StrictlyAP
BeachBumBabs
Ayecarumba
EdCollins

Deadline is still the end of the day Thursday to get to a minimum of 10. If we get 10 participants I will set up the league account on LeagueSafe and others can sign up afterwards (up until Saturday 9/6). Hopefully we can make this work!
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
August 26th, 2014 at 6:03:23 AM permalink
With you I count ten but I was in a red eye from Vegas maybe I miscounted
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 26th, 2014 at 6:12:34 AM permalink
Quote: strictlyAP

With you I count ten but I was in a red eye from Vegas maybe I miscounted

I'm just administering the contest, not playing. I would have a huge advantage knowing what selections and for what amounts other participants submitted.

I hope your trip to Vegas was profitable.
deedubbs
deedubbs
  • Threads: 21
August 26th, 2014 at 6:49:17 PM permalink
I'll need to make sure that I understand the process, but I could be interested. I played last year and paid within minutes of officially losing. Unless people are worried about a conspiracy, I could also probably get my girlfriend to participate.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 28th, 2014 at 7:50:07 AM permalink
Quote: deedubbs

I'll need to make sure that I understand the process, but I could be interested. I played last year and paid within minutes of officially losing. Unless people are worried about a conspiracy, I could also probably get my girlfriend to participate.

deedubbs - If you are in, that would give us the minimum number of necessary entries assuming everybody enters just once. In the rules, it's stated there can be up to two entries per participant. It is also states that the contest is limited to WOV members in good standing, but in all actuality, I wouldn't know if the selections were being made by an actual member or someone on their behalf, so it's really a difficult rule to enforce. Since the money will be collected up front, we don't really have to be concerned about trusting someone to pay afterwards.

If you want to enter, please confirm your intention, and I will get the account set up at LeagueSafe to deposit the $25 entry fee.

Anybody else interested?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 28th, 2014 at 8:33:07 AM permalink

Anybody else interested?

Wizard? Mission? Face?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 28th, 2014 at 9:43:38 AM permalink

Wizard? Mission? Face?

who is Mission?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
August 28th, 2014 at 9:46:34 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

who is Mission?

His name is Robert Paulson.

This sounds fun. Count me in to make it official.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 28th, 2014 at 12:42:31 PM permalink
Perfect, looks like we are a go! The following members have indicated they will play.

Vendman1
steeldco
JohnZimbo
GWAE
ATLiens
StrictlyAP
BeachBumBabs
Ayecarumba
EdCollins
wudged

deedubbs(?) - hasn't confirmed

I will get the deposit account set up at LeagueSafe and PM you later tonight with the details to deposit the entry fee.

Of course anyone else who wants to play is welcome join up until the end of the day on 9/6.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 28th, 2014 at 10:01:26 PM permalink
I was just about to send out deposit info for the contest I was proposing (I actually did for one participant, but asked him to hold off for the moment), when I saw Mission re-appear and offer to host his format again. Welcome back Mission!

So, I want to know if this changes the intention of anybody who was going to participate in my pool (different format than Mission's)?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 28th, 2014 at 10:02:40 PM permalink
I would also like to suggest that anyone who wanted to participate in this pool should either participate in this one or both. I would request that nobody leave this pool to participate in mine unless you wish to do both.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 28th, 2014 at 10:13:39 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I would also like to suggest that anyone who wanted to participate in this pool should either participate in this one or both. I would request that nobody leave this pool to participate in mine unless you wish to do both.

Thanks Mission, I just know we have the bare minimum threshold of 10 entries that I was willing to run with, so I want to make sure they are all still in. Of course, more are welcome!

Given comments in this thread, I have no doubt that your format will generate more interest, it's simple, and players are accustomed to it. I was just trying to do something different. Hopefully we can make both a go!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 29th, 2014 at 4:52:11 AM permalink
If you're looking for confirmation, I'll do both, just to celebrate Mission's return. I also challenge Mission to sign up for this one as well.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
August 29th, 2014 at 5:16:23 AM permalink
I'll be in both also.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
GWAE
GWAE
August 29th, 2014 at 5:16:31 AM permalink
I also have no problems doing both.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
August 29th, 2014 at 5:21:12 AM permalink
I'll lose in both contests I am sure. Starting with my negative thinking already hehe
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 29th, 2014 at 11:40:25 AM permalink

I was just about to send out deposit info for the contest I was proposing (I actually did for one participant, but asked him to hold off for the moment), when I saw Mission re-appear and offer to host his format again. Welcome back Mission!

So, I want to know if this changes the intention of anybody who was going to participate in my pool (different format than Mission's)?

I am still in.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 29th, 2014 at 12:57:52 PM permalink
All right, we are still on then, I will send out PM's with the deposit info.
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 29th, 2014 at 1:12:29 PM permalink
Please do yours Mission. This one will just be a lottery the last few weeks. No skill in that !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
August 29th, 2014 at 1:29:48 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Please do yours Mission. This one will just be a lottery the last few weeks. No skill in that !

I guess we'll find out. To mitigate this, we did cap the win limit on any particular bet and there is always the risk of busting.

No skill seems a little harsh. As several have pointed out, in addition to handicapping skill, and maybe more importantly, there is an additional bet sizing skill that is required in other type of tournaments (like blackjack).
GWAE
GWAE
August 29th, 2014 at 2:33:30 PM permalink
I agree, it will be a little lottery the last few weeks but that doesn't mean there will be no skill.
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 29th, 2014 at 2:50:33 PM permalink
Just I hate to prove my skill over the first 12 weeks, then lose because somebody got lucky. Go ahead, have fun. Nobody will miss me anyway.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
August 29th, 2014 at 2:51:37 PM permalink
Without luck Phil Helmeuth would never lose and nobody would play him.
I am a robot.
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 29th, 2014 at 3:08:30 PM permalink
Sam Grizzle would play him !
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 30th, 2014 at 9:24:29 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

If you're looking for confirmation, I'll do both, just to celebrate Mission's return. I also challenge Mission to sign up for this one as well.

I mainly threw $25 out there in my pool for the sake of tradition and that it's not that much money. Given my current financial state of affairs, any negative expectation gambling in excess of my monthly $5 at the parlor is irresponsible, and therefore, I respectfully decline to participate in this contest.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
  • Jump to: