GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
July 30th, 2014 at 7:40:22 AM permalink
YAYYYYY, Football season is upon us. I will never understand why we get so excited for sports when it is a bunch of millionaires making their money off of mostly us poor people. They get fame, excitement, riches, and notoriety and we are left footing the bill; anyways I digress.

I know last year Mission ran a football picks contest and I hope that he does the same again this year but I wanted to see if there was any interest in a Fantasy football league as well. I run a few leagues every year so I figured I would see if anyone from here wanted to get one going.

Just my original thoughts but this can all be changed if there is any interest.

Smallish buy in of maybe $20-$50
10-14 teams
Snake draft
League run on yahoo or espn
Format of players is up in the air

Thoughts?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
July 30th, 2014 at 7:45:56 AM permalink
im 100 percent in if we do a 50 fantasy through yahoo
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 30th, 2014 at 8:05:03 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

YAYYYYY, Football season is upon us. I will never understand why we get so excited for sports when it is a bunch of millionaires making their money off of mostly us poor people. They get fame, excitement, riches, and notoriety and we are left footing the bill; anyways I digress.

I know last year Mission ran a football picks contest and I hope that he does the same again this year but I wanted to see if there was any interest in a Fantasy football league as well. I run a few leagues every year so I figured I would see if anyone from here wanted to get one going.

Just my original thoughts but this can all be changed if there is any interest.

Smallish buy in of maybe $20-$50
10-14 teams
Snake draft
League run on yahoo or espn
Format of players is up in the air

Thoughts?

I will participate.
I like 20, will play 50 but that would be my max.
What is snake draft?
I actually preffer fantasy basketball and baseball. More games, more skill setting daily lineups, more moves dropping and picking up players so draft important but not crucial. I play the Yahoo money leagues and have done well. Football is kind of a crap shoot, few games, injuries can kill your chances and draft crucial.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
July 30th, 2014 at 8:06:28 AM permalink
I'm good with a $50 on either yahoo or espn. Count me in.
GWAE
GWAE
July 30th, 2014 at 9:26:40 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I will participate.
I like 20, will play 50 but that would be my max.
What is snake draft?
I actually preffer fantasy basketball and baseball. More games, more skill setting daily lineups, more moves dropping and picking up players so draft important but not crucial. I play the Yahoo money leagues and have done well. Football is kind of a crap shoot, few games, injuries can kill your chances and draft crucial.

snake draft is basically a normal fantasy type draft.
If there are 10 teams:
round 1 teams draft in order 1-10
round 2 draft order is 10-1
round 3 draft order is 1-10
and so on
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
July 30th, 2014 at 10:36:59 AM permalink
A little off topic, but thinking about gearing up for fantasy football has me pumped up. A league I was in for 20 years kept adding more activities to draft day every year, to the point that the whole day became quite an event.

We started with an 18 hole handicapped golf tournament in the morning (with plenty of betting and beer involved). This was followed by lunch at the host house which was prepared by the winner from the prior year. We increased the amount going to the winner to account for the extra expense of making the meal. This was followed by an auction draft for the first 60 picks and a snake draft from that point on. This took quite a while as each pick was ridiculed, lauded, or otherwise discussed ad nauseam. Following the draft, we had a poker tournament, which usually led into a UFC PPV (and more betting). For those still standing we often played a second and sometimes third poker tournament, or just broke out a cash game.

I forgot to mention that the beer from lunch through the end of the draft was provided (at their own expense), by the last place team owner from the year before.

Anyway, as you can imagine it was an entire day event, the only thing really missing was bringing in strippers, which we considered, but the host's wife put her foot down on that one even though she left for the day and spent the night at one of her girlfriend's house.

Eventually the league broke down as people left and we had difficulty finding new players who wanted to commit to the draft day, the entry fee, and the general competitiveness of the group. It's still going, but has been toned down quite a bit, has fewer teams, so I no longer participate since it's quite a distance away, but I sure miss that day.
GWAE
GWAE
July 30th, 2014 at 11:21:15 AM permalink
I was involved in one similar but not as awesome. This was back before internet. Remember those days when you had to wait for the USA Today to come out the next morning for the official stats. We drank and ate all day with some activities. Our draft had a huge white board and every one had magazines, books, and notes in front of them. It was a day to look forward to every year. The same league is still going but they use yahoo for the draft and they don't ever get together.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
July 31st, 2014 at 7:04:07 PM permalink
I'm in, would prefer $20, but wouldn't mind $50
drmario
drmario
  • Threads: 4
July 31st, 2014 at 9:49:00 PM permalink
I'm in for $20-30. Definitely prefer head to head over total points.
GWAE
GWAE
August 1st, 2014 at 5:52:32 AM permalink
Quote: drmario

I'm in for $20-30. Definitely prefer head to head over total points.

I had mentioned $20 or $50 but it could be anywhere in between. I think something like $30-$40 would be a good middle ground.

I agree I like head to head as well.

There are a handful of people whom said they would join so I think I will make an official sign up thread next week. I will be in AC Monday-Thursday next week so maybe on Thursday I will put one up to see if we get enough people.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 1st, 2014 at 9:35:24 AM permalink
I participate in a few leagues, but not for money. The fact that you can trade players opens up too many complaints of collusion. I get enough of that grief, even with no money on the line.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
terapined
terapined
August 1st, 2014 at 9:54:56 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I participate in a few leagues, but not for money. The fact that you can trade players opens up too many complaints of collusion. I get enough of that grief, even with no money on the line.

Just need a fair strong commisioner.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
August 1st, 2014 at 10:12:25 AM permalink
Just FYI I live in Arizona, which is one of 4 states excluded in gambling on fantasy sports. So no fanduel, draft kings, yahoo etc....So in order for me to play this would need to be a league where payments are sent to the commissioner who will pay out the prizes at the end of the year
terapined
terapined
August 1st, 2014 at 10:17:34 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Just FYI I live in Arizona, which is one of 4 states excluded in gambling on fantasy sports. So no fanduel, draft kings, yahoo etc....So in order for me to play this would need to be a league where payments are sent to the commissioner who will pay out the prizes at the end of the year

What are the other states?

Payments to a commissioner is the way to go, I play yahoo money leagues despite what I feel is too much of a rake from Yahoo.
GWAE
GWAE
August 1st, 2014 at 10:31:28 AM permalink

Payments to a commissioner is the way to go, I play yahoo money leagues despite what I feel is too much of a rake from Yahoo.

escrowing is always the hot topic. I know in Missions thing last year there was no escrow and people just paid at the end. I was not in that poll so I don't know how many welchers there were. As I suggested in the other thread, Wizard can escrow (if he wants to) and in exchange he gets a free team.

There are also sites out there that work as an escrow but they of course charge a fee.

As for the trade issue and collusion issue. There are 2 safeguards around this.
1. there are a few sites that will look at the trade and give a report to whether it is fair or not.
2. There are league rules that are set up for this as well. Last year my league had a rule where other teams could veto a trade. If more than 1 team emailed the commissioner about a bad trade then the league would have a discussion and then a vote on whether it was a good trade or not. It seems to work well but there are some borderline trades that make people unhappy sometimes.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
August 1st, 2014 at 3:45:38 PM permalink

Other states I believe are Iowa, Montana, Louisiana
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
August 1st, 2014 at 3:46:49 PM permalink
Also, I've never been in a league where people can make trades without league approval. All trades are not automatic and must pass league approval
shane
shane
  • Threads: 0
August 15th, 2015 at 10:11:18 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

yeah, that sucks, this daily fantasy things is becoming really huge and its quite fun. I started playing only NFL but in the summertime, when theres nothing but baseball, i started playing Baseball too. I wouldnt go for a baseball fantasy league, thats just too much work for me, i just decide to play from day to day, sometimes i dont play ina week, sometimes i just use the (links removed by mod), sometimes i am really motivated and do my own research and enter bigger tournaments.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 6th, 2017 at 8:10:30 AM permalink
Did this ever happen? I'm interested in finding out who is playing fantasy football and who is good.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
November 6th, 2017 at 3:31:14 PM permalink
Sigh no. I haven't been in a league now for 2 years. I really miss it. I tried doing yahoo league with random people but it is nowhere near as fun as with people you know.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
November 6th, 2017 at 10:36:41 PM permalink

Sigh no. I haven't been in a league now for 2 years. I really miss it. I tried doing yahoo league with random people but it is nowhere near as fun as with people you know.

I might want to start a dream team contest if it's allowed. Free, no entry fee. If at least 5 people good participate.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
November 7th, 2017 at 2:20:07 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I might want to start a dream team contest if it's allowed. Free, no entry fee. If at least 5 people good participate.

Don't even know what that is
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
November 8th, 2017 at 12:34:17 AM permalink

Don't even kpnow what that is

You can pick any player each week, and one team defense. Obviously with any player, you want the best for that week. Each week you have a different team.
I am a robot.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
November 8th, 2017 at 1:47:39 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

You can pick any player each week, and one team defense. Obviously with any player, you want the best for that week. Each week you have a different team.

So you don't have a start-of-season draft, you pick an entire lineup from all teams each week?

I played maybe 12 seasons of Fantasy over the years, starting in 1993, ending when I retired. Was a group of controllers in different facilities, but we had a set team after an initial draft. Then could do trades for a price until the NFL trade deadline.

Not saying you're wrong, because I'm sure there are many different formats. But if we did a league of some type, I would play. It's a lot of fun.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
November 8th, 2017 at 5:29:32 PM permalink
I think everyone needs to play in the dark not knowing what the others played for this to work. Otherwise, picks get copied.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: