3 votes (42.85%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (42.85%)

7 members have voted

aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
May 4th, 2014 at 5:17:38 PM permalink
OK - if you owned a horse that won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness…would you sell prior to the Belmont knowing that:
(a) if you win the Belmont, the stud fees alone would be more than the sale or
(b) hedge and sell pre-Belmont, thus guaranteeing a large sum of money
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
May 4th, 2014 at 5:21:28 PM permalink
Depends on the price, how much money I started with, my evaluation of the horse's chance at Belmont, and what kind of injury insurance I could get.

Generally I would lean toward selling while keeping a minority percentage for myself.

The owners of CC were offered $6 million for 51 percent of the horse, before the Kentucky Derby. So that's a valuation of $12 million. If your horse won both the Derby and Preakness and looked good, you could probably get $40 million while still keeping a small stake for yourself. Big Brown's stud rights sold for $50 million the day after he won the Preakness: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/17/AR2008051702731.html
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
May 4th, 2014 at 5:54:06 PM permalink
I think once you've won the derby and Preakness, why bother? Buy 30 mil of injury protection, and you're good to go.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 4th, 2014 at 6:05:58 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I think once you've won the derby and Preakness, why bother? Buy 30 mil of injury protection, and you're good to go.

that is what I was thinking, plus..

1. these owners are already very rich
2. they are already going to make a fortune on stud fees with these 2 wins
3. they won a ton of money on the first 2 plus the other races they won
4. I think an owner would rather win a triple crown instead of having 20 million

California Chrome not for sale.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/columnists/sullivan/2014/05/02/sale-chromes-sign/8645775/
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
May 5th, 2014 at 6:09:40 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

OK - if you owned a horse that won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness…would you sell prior to the Belmont knowing that:
(a) if you win the Belmont, the stud fees alone would be more than the sale or
(b) hedge and sell pre-Belmont, thus guaranteeing a large sum of money

Sell the horse, stallion rights, mother and the two full sisters. Trade the wives in ......and never, ever, buy another horse.

Chrome is a cheaply bred horse which will probably be revealed in the breeding shed. Spectacular Bid, my favorite race horse was cheaply bred and proved it as a stallion.

These folks will probably end up living with the horse as the owners of Seattle Slew did.....

What a great story!
Each day is better than the next
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 5th, 2014 at 6:27:52 PM permalink
Aren't you forgetting something? A Derby and Preakness winner stands a good chance of winning that year's Breeders Cup Classic (not to mention the one after that). I'd hate to be the guy who sold Alysheba right before the Belmont (or right after his fourth-place finish which, back then, cost him the $1 million bonus that he would have won had they used the point system they started using two years later).
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 5th, 2014 at 6:38:55 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Sell the horse, stallion rights, mother and the two full sisters. Trade the wives in ......and never, ever, buy another horse.

Chrome is a cheaply bred horse which will probably be revealed in the breeding shed. Spectacular Bid, my favorite race horse was cheaply bred and proved it as a stallion.

These folks will probably end up living with the horse as the owners of Seattle Slew did.....

What a great story!

I don't understand what cheaply bred and proving it as a stallion means.
I am a robot.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 5th, 2014 at 6:43:13 PM permalink
Very impressive that Chrome's owners turned down 6 million for 51%......very unusual and incredibly sportsmanlike. The rule in horse racing is to always take the money.....these guys and the horse are breaking all the rules.
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 5th, 2014 at 6:44:00 PM permalink
They'll sell after CC wins the Breeders' Cup Classic this year.

He'll finish 2nd at the Belmont. Get 2 months off. Prep in October at SA. Win the BCC in November. Retire. They'll sell for 25 mil.

He does have 2 full sisters that they own, so no need to keep him.
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 5th, 2014 at 6:46:04 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I don't understand what cheaply bred and proving it as a stallion means.

He had bad lineage, and he never had any good kids.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 5th, 2014 at 11:18:29 PM permalink

He had bad lineage, and he never had any good kids.

I assumed but wasn't quite sure.
I am a robot.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 6th, 2014 at 6:39:56 PM permalink
A few quotes from Coburn a co-owner in Chrome.

When offered 6 million for 51% of the horse, Coburn said "the answer wasn't just no, it was hell no"....he goes on to say, "they would be getting all the glory and not having put a dollar into the work"...continuing, "the guy that made us this offer, he has people who wash his feet for him, the offer came from somebody who never put a pair of boots on to go to work in the morning" and finally, "it (the offer) was kind of an insult to me" What the Fruita?

DAP......Dumb Ass Partners is a perfect name for the one horse stable. The hick was "insulted" by a generous 6 million dollar offer for 51% of the horse prior to Derby. So, I had to find out more about the owners and unfortunately I found out too much....low rent MoFo's.....now, I don't care what happens to the horse. The owners are genuine dumb asses.
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 6th, 2014 at 6:43:35 PM permalink

When offered 6 million for 51% of the horse, Coburn said "the answer wasn't just no, it was hell no"....he goes on to say, "they would be getting all the glory and not having put a dollar into the work"...continuing, "the guy that made us this offer, he has people who wash his feet for him, the offer came from somebody who never put a pair of boots on to go to work in the morning" and finally, "it (the offer) was kind of an insult to me" What the Fruita?

DAP......Dumb Ass Partners is a perfect name for the one horse stable. The hick was "insulted" by a generous 6 million dollar offer for 51% of the horse prior to Derby. So, I had to find out more about the owners and unfortunately I found out too much....low rent MoFo's.....now, I don't care what happens to the horse. The owners are genuine dumb asses.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but that offer was prior to SA Derby, not KY Derby.

But I agree with this. It shouldn't matter where the offer is coming from.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 6th, 2014 at 6:58:00 PM permalink
I get the idea if the owners advertise they want to sell, it lowers the value. Conversely, by playing uninterested, someone will offer more really wanting the horse.
I am a robot.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 6th, 2014 at 7:01:27 PM permalink

I'm not sure if you knew this, but that offer was prior to SA Derby, not KY Derby.

But I agree with this. It shouldn't matter where the offer is coming from.

You gigged me on that one FinsRule. Way to go! I didn't realize offer came in prior to Santa Anita Derby. That makes the offer even more generous. FinsRule, the Chihuahua that's always nipping at my ankles.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 6th, 2014 at 7:09:39 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I get the idea if the owners advertise they want to sell, it lowers the value. Conversely, by playing uninterested, someone will offer more really wanting the horse.

The owners view the horse as their pet..... they won't sell him.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
May 6th, 2014 at 8:52:32 PM permalink
WHile I don't agree with flippant comments with regards to prosepctive buyers for your horse, we have to remember that they have every right to sell or conversely not to sell for whatever reason they see fit.

I find it admirable that a bunch of guys aren't just interested in the allmighty dollar and want to take this ride for as long and as far as it may take them......

When the horse is retired then they can think of either keeping all rights or syndicating his rights for rather large money. Who knows, perhaps they decide to breed with him themselves.......

They are obviously flying in the face of conventionalism as that is what has gotten them this far. I don't mind it as long as they don't turn into complete loons just for the sake of being "different".

Still one hell of a story for them.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
May 6th, 2014 at 9:17:42 PM permalink

The owners view the horse as their pet..... they won't sell him.

Having been around harness horses for way too long I can relate to that quote above.

Guy from the Windsor area 2 yr old colt paced a big mile on a half mile track and the offers flowed in

One was for $400,000 ( confirmed by a friend who knows the owner well) the answer was horse was not for sale....as the buddy says they are family to the wife and if he sold one of them he would be sleeping in the guests room for a long long time

Horse never made $400,000 its whole career and that would be before expenses
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
May 6th, 2014 at 9:25:12 PM permalink

Had the offer been for 49.9% (non controlling ownership) I think they would have taken it
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 6th, 2014 at 9:35:59 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

Had the offer been for 49.9% (non controlling ownership) I think they would have taken it

That would have been an extremely smart offer.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 7th, 2014 at 7:46:08 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

When you write a 6 million dollar check, your silks go with the horse. Rich dudes don't play second fiddle.

Eleven horses have won the Triple Crown.....that's 25,000 x 138 foal crops or approximately 3.5 million horses born with a dream attached to them.....this bunch is claiming they knew he was special when they saw him the day after he was foaled. What the Fruita? The farm manager who raised the horse claimed that he saw nothing remarkable about Chrome.

6 million is really like turning down 1.5 million. 6 mil divided twice. Once by partnership and again by taxes.

These clowns lost me as a fan when they played the class envy card.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
May 7th, 2014 at 10:47:07 AM permalink

generous offer?....ARE YOU KIDDING? It was just a rich guy that is trying to buy what he wants on the cheap thinking that the middle class dude would think like you and grab the money which was a clear underpay while at the same time giving up the rights to have a say in the fate of the horse after the triple crown bid.

A guy wants to buy the glory of owning a derby winner, and the glory of going for the tripler crown.....and the owner wont grab the money and say thank you sir.

The owner works for a small company of 13 people that puts magnetic strips on credit cards......and he scraped together some money to buy a horse for 10k and all the expenses surrounding upkeep.....and he has a horse that can bring him50 million over time....and he is gonna sell half for 6 mil? THE prospective purchacer was counting on people to feel like you do....oh my..6 mil.......But the owner saw thru that....saw the offer was way cheap and an insult...as if the common man would really have to take that money or be deemed crazy.

He turned it around....he wasnt the crazy one.....he lets us know he would be crazy to accept such an offer.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 7th, 2014 at 11:46:54 AM permalink
I didn't realize that offer was before the Santa Anita race either. At that point it sounds like a very fair offer for a horse that never won a grade one stakes race and had won only 5 of his first 9 races.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 7th, 2014 at 11:49:26 AM permalink
Like I said before - I maintain a smarter offer would have been something like 5 million for 49% of the horse. The reason it's smarter is because they would have taken it. And the person would have 49% of a horse that's worth around 20 mil at this point.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 7th, 2014 at 5:25:09 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

generous offer?....ARE YOU KIDDING? It was just a rich guy that is trying to buy what he wants on the cheap thinking that the middle class dude would think like you and grab the money which was a clear underpay while at the same time giving up the rights to have a say in the fate of the horse after the triple crown bid.

A guy wants to buy the glory of owning a derby winner, and the glory of going for the tripler crown.....and the owner wont grab the money and say thank you sir.

The owner works for a small company of 13 people that puts magnetic strips on credit cards......and he scraped together some money to buy a horse for 10k and all the expenses surrounding upkeep.....and he has a horse that can bring him50 million over time....and he is gonna sell half for 6 mil? THE prospective purchacer was counting on people to feel like you do....oh my..6 mil.......But the owner saw thru that....saw the offer was way cheap and an insult...as if the common man would really have to take that money or be deemed crazy.

He turned it around....he wasnt the crazy one.....he lets us know he would be crazy to accept such an offer.

In the spirit of Beethoven9th.....*facepalm* ....lol and :-(). Are you kidding me.....you have no clue as to what your talking about....

I'm headed to the other horse racing thread to clean up you mess
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 7th, 2014 at 5:31:54 PM permalink

In the spirit of Beethoven9th.....*facepalm* ....lol and :-(). Are you kidding me.....you have no clue as to what your talking about....

Thanks TTB. I gave up.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 7th, 2014 at 5:51:57 PM permalink

They'll sell after CC wins the Breeders' Cup Classic this year.

He'll finish 2nd at the Belmont. Get 2 months off. Prep in October at SA. Win the BCC in November. Retire. They'll sell for 25 mil.

He does have 2 full sisters that they own, so no need to keep him.[/]

Facepalm to the 10 the power......lol

LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
May 7th, 2014 at 6:05:30 PM permalink

an educated response is not "facepalm"....it involves a cogent argument ,,,,which you obviously do not have.

Thats ok.... while I have a net of 1100 in my pocket from the Derby...you sit home and play with yourself and muse about what might be a good bet if you could must up a few dollars.

as usual nothing there.....just hot wind.

yes you go and clean things up....you are the boards janitor....you go boy

you are the guy that got thrown off for 30 days for being brave enough to "bully via PM"......WOW what a brave soul.

big talker.....big expert......

again for someone who has no clue.....I have the ability to come away with consistant wins when I do bet.

dont hurt yourself hitting your head with your palm...there seems to be a soft spot in your skull.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 7th, 2014 at 6:20:57 PM permalink

Thats ok.... while I have a net of 1100 in my pocket from the Derby...you sit home and play with yourself and muse about what might be a good bet if you could must up a few dollars.

as usual nothing there.....just hot wind..

Lol.....1100 wow, your the man. That's not even walk around money. I'd be embarrassed to proclaim I won 1100 stinking dollars. You little hot head.....lol
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
May 7th, 2014 at 6:22:21 PM permalink

an educated response is not "facepalm"....it involves a cogent argument ,,,,which you obviously do not have.

you are the guy that got thrown off for 30 days for being brave enough to "bully via PM"......WOW what a brave soul.

again for someone who has no clue.....I have the ability to come away with consistant wins when I do bet.

dont hurt yourself hitting your head with your palm...there seems to be a soft spot in your skull.

That didn't take long.

30 Days, Personal Insult.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 8th, 2014 at 8:14:40 PM permalink

Well, if you're gonna go out, go out with a BANG!
"What, me worry?"
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 20th, 2014 at 5:15:56 PM permalink
Chrome's value is not going to change appreciably from this point out. He's won three grade one stake races and has proven to be a very nice racehorse. A Belmont win will bump his value a little. He's a racehorse not a breeding horse. Ninety five percent of horses with his pedigree would have had their balls cut off and thrown on the shed row roof before the horse began any serious training. Stallions can be a real pain in ass in the racing environment. I have scars to prove it.....

I don't see the goofy owners selling the horse. It's their pet.....I can't blame them....I get it... I'm just waiting for the connections to say just once....'we're just lucky bastards' but that's not going to happen. According to these **************** they planned the whole thing......what a joke.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
May 20th, 2014 at 5:35:21 PM permalink

Chrome's value is not going to change appreciably from this point out. He's won three grade one stake races and has proven to be a very nice racehorse. A Belmont win will bump his value a little. He's a racehorse not a breeding horse. Ninety five percent of horses with his pedigree would have had their balls cut off and thrown on the shed row roof before the horse began any serious training. Stallions can be a real pain in ass in the racing environment. I have scars to prove it.....

I don't see the goofy owners selling the horse. It's their pet.....I can't blame them....I get it... I'm just waiting for the connections to say just once....'we're just lucky bastards' but that's not going to happen. According to these **************** they planned the whole thing......what a joke.

You are right about his price but I have a feeling these guys will keep him as you said and breed with him on their own. This is the kind of pattern they have followed with this horse from the beginning. They surely don't care about the money at this point so why not take the entire ride?

Also you have to be humungously, stupidly, unbelievably, rediculously lucky to do what they have done. If they don't admit to at the very least that, then I will also loose all respect for them.

Up until now I like them as they dance to their own tune and nobody elses!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
May 20th, 2014 at 6:20:05 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

You are right about his price but I have a feeling these guys will keep him as you said and breed with him on their own. This is the kind of pattern they have followed with this horse from the beginning. They surely don't care about the money at this point so why not take the entire ride?

Also you have to be humungously, stupidly, unbelievably, rediculously lucky to do what they have done. If they don't admit to at the very least that, then I will also loose all respect for them.

Up until now I like them as they dance to their own tune and nobody elses!

+1
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 20th, 2014 at 8:22:33 PM permalink
I think his value goes up significantly if he wins the Belmont. No one wanted I'll have Another or Smarty Jones. (Big Brown has done a little better) I think there's something special breeding your mare to a triple crown winner. No one has been able to do it in a while.

I say they sell after chrome wins breeders in November.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 20th, 2014 at 10:51:04 PM permalink

ttb,

I met the folks who own/train Handsome Jack Flash, who won at Santa Anita (some premiere race they hold million dollar purse or something, pardon my ignorance of the sport) last October; played UTH the whole night with them after the race (was within the past week or something) and they were exactly that type of people. "We're just lucky bastards"..."had no idea what we had; he was gelded immediately"...."this is only our third horse; he's my wife's, really, and her sister"...."Don't think we'll ever sell; he's family". Couldn't have been nicer or more aware that they had simply fallen into it. So there's still some out there.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 21st, 2014 at 6:03:00 AM permalink
Yeah, Hansome Jack Flash was a gelded Quarter horse that won the All American Futurity. He won 1.2 million in 21 seconds.....not bad. Quarter horse people are super nice down to earth folks.

Coburn (part owner) has made some ridiculous comments.....whatever. The other owner is quiet and apparently wrote THE book on failure analysis. Something like that....

Winning the Kentucky Derby is like catching lightning in a bottle. They say....."Derby horses come to you"', a truth that is completly lost on this bunch.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
May 21st, 2014 at 6:16:30 AM permalink
Careful TTB, your envy is showing.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
May 21st, 2014 at 7:20:39 AM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Careful TTB, your envy is showing.

Nope, I've never been envious of someone's success. I'm simply saying Chrome's connections are delusional. Randy Moss, commentator on NBC coverage of the Preakness inferred the same.....the folks are clueless. They are the embodiment of the phrase.....dumb luck.
  • Jump to: