speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
December 21st, 2013 at 7:27:50 AM permalink
2014 Superbowl: Which team you pick?
I picked Seattle NOT to win because I booked my ex-boss's $50 bet for 20-1 before the season.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 21st, 2013 at 7:52:06 AM permalink
Broncos.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
December 21st, 2013 at 8:04:00 AM permalink
Broncos as well
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
December 21st, 2013 at 8:09:02 AM permalink
At the beginning of the year, I had said that Kaepernick and RG3 would be busts. I was right on RG3, but I was wrong on Kaepernick. So, if the slow start doesn't cost Frisco a playoff spot, then I believe they win the Super Bowl.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 21st, 2013 at 9:27:47 AM permalink
Broncos here too.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
December 21st, 2013 at 9:49:07 AM permalink
I like both the Broncos and the Seahawks......

Due to their pretty uniforms, I'm going to go for the Seahawks :0)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
December 21st, 2013 at 10:26:06 AM permalink
In my mmind , the better defense wins superbowls. giants/ravens, giants, NE x2, SF/ravens, NE/ stl

Seattle.
LarryS
LarryS
December 21st, 2013 at 10:26:06 AM permalink
In my mmind , the better defense wins superbowls. giants/ravens, giants, NE x2, SF/ravens, NE/ stl

Seattle.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 21st, 2013 at 10:53:52 AM permalink
Sounds like a bet shaping up in here....
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 21st, 2013 at 10:56:04 AM permalink
Let's keep in mind, the Superbowl will be outdoors in New Jersey in February. The farmer's almanac is predicting a big storm for that day, but putting that aside, lol, no matter what, it likely won't be great conditions for pass heavy teams, like Denver or Saints. Particularly the recent Denver at New England game comes to mind, where windy condition effected Payton Manning. I don't think he completed a pass greater than 10 yards all day and was just WAY off target all day. Apparently wind effects Payton's passes more so than other QB's because he don't throw a very tight spiral.

So anyway, I'm going to take a long shot with a running team that has a decent defense....Kansas City. The problem for them will be getting past Denver in Denver to get to the Superbowl, but, again, weather could come into play. I feel like Denver isn't playing their best football right now. They were more dominate earlier in the year, and now Wes Welker is out for the rest of the regular season and they are wondering if he will even be available for playoffs.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 21st, 2013 at 10:58:44 AM permalink
I think Seattle will choke in their NFC final somehow leaving some NFC team in the superbowl that doesn't deserve to be there (Eagles?, 49ers?)

I wouldn't discount the Patriots upsetting the Broncos in the AFC final in Denver. I'm going to go with New England vs the 49ers in the SuperBowl

I'm going to stretch out on a limb and say the 49ers, because I f**king hate the Patriots.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
December 21st, 2013 at 11:05:56 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I think Seattle will choke in their NFC final somehow leaving some NFC team in the superbowl that doesn't deserve to be there (Eagles?, 49ers?)

I wouldn't discount the Patriots upsetting the Broncos in the AFC final in Denver. I'm going to go with New England vs the 49ers in the SuperBowl

I'm going to stretch out on a limb and say the 49ers, because I f**king hate the Patriots.

Why is everyone so big on New England? I think that they are going to lose to Baltimore tomorrow, and be faced with a must-win against Buffalo on the last game of the season to even make the playoffs. I think that they will (although I would laugh my ass off for months if they didn't) but once they get in I don't see them beating anyone. They really are not playing very good football right now.
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
December 21st, 2013 at 2:06:13 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Let's keep in mind, the Superbowl will be outdoors in New Jersey in February. The farmer's almanac is predicting a big storm for that day, but putting that aside, lol, no matter what, it likely won't be great conditions for pass heavy teams, like Denver or Saints. Particularly the recent Denver at New England game comes to mind, where windy condition effected Payton Manning. I don't think he completed a pass greater than 10 yards all day and was just WAY off target all day. Apparently wind effects Payton's passes more so than other QB's because he don't throw a very tight spiral.

So anyway, I'm going to take a long shot with a running team that has a decent defense....Kansas City. The problem for them will be getting past Denver in Denver to get to the Superbowl, but, again, weather could come into play. I feel like Denver isn't playing their best football right now. They were more dominate earlier in the year, and now Wes Welker is out for the rest of the regular season and they are wondering if he will even be available for playoffs.

I agree with all of the concerns about the Broncos, but I'm a Colorado boy so I have to stick with them.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 21st, 2013 at 4:20:40 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Why is everyone so big on New England? I think that they are going to lose to Baltimore tomorrow, and be faced with a must-win against Buffalo on the last game of the season to even make the playoffs. I think that they will (although I would laugh my ass off for months if they didn't) but once they get in I don't see them beating anyone. They really are not playing very good football right now.

People are big on New England because of their tenure and their ability to come from behind. I hate New England.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
December 21st, 2013 at 4:26:27 PM permalink
No love for the Panthers here? If they beat the Saints tomorrow they are likely to be the #2 seed and matchup very well against the Seahawks where they lost by just 12-7 earlier this year. Their defense matches up with anyone, they just lack some big play makers.

If they lose to the Saints Sunday then they are not likely to go anywhere as they probably end up having to beat Chicago or Philly on road before meeting Seahawks or Saints on the road.

Of course, the Seahawks are the easy favorite. I don't think any other NFC team besides Seahawks or Panthers can stop Pats or Broncos.
LarryS
LarryS
December 21st, 2013 at 8:55:28 PM permalink
Quote: Pokeraddict

No love for the Panthers here? If they beat the Saints tomorrow they are likely to be the #2 seed and matchup very well against the Seahawks where they lost by just 12-7 earlier this year. Their defense matches up with anyone, they just lack some big play makers.

If they lose to the Saints Sunday then they are not likely to go anywhere as they probably end up having to beat Chicago or Philly on road before meeting Seahawks or Saints on the road.

Of course, the Seahawks are the easy favorite. I don't think any other NFC team besides Seahawks or Panthers can stop Pats or Broncos.

the panthers have the same problem the niners have. The panthers "only" lost by 5 in their house? And they are supposed to beat the seahawks on the road?\
Ask the niners...they did better than carolina and beat the seahawks at home by 2. But got blown out, no contest the last 2 times in seattle. Even the year they went to the superbowl, seattle owned them at home.

the seattle QB has never lost at home in 2 years. Does that mean for the rest of his life he will be perfect at home?....nope. But for now, I am willing to ride that trend..once seattle gets outside their protected homefield..anything can happen.

this being a sports betting area, I am basing my opinion strictly on facts and figures...noot on my likes or dislikes of various teams

I admit my analysis of the facts may be trumped by someone more knowledgeable.

but I as a bettor caanot reaaly give a cogent comment to peoples feelings or dislike of teams

the only teams I dislike are the teams that I bet against on a given week. The next week they can be my favorite team.

However if Iwere on a Fans message board....you know the Panthers website, or the Saints websitr/message board....my discussion points would be alien
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
December 21st, 2013 at 9:31:06 PM permalink
eagles
kewlj
kewlj
December 21st, 2013 at 10:03:28 PM permalink
As a huge Eagles fan, and former season ticket holder, let me just say.....NO WAY. Eagles have had a great year. They were picked to finish last in the division. If the eagles make the playoffs, which I am rooting for, they will have a home game against either Carolina or San Fransisco, either of which is a tough matchup. If they somehow were to win that, they would have to go TO New Orleans or Seattle. They would lose either of those games by 3 touchdowns.
bdc42
bdc42
  • Threads: 3
December 21st, 2013 at 10:33:57 PM permalink
because my beloved seahawks are so vulnerable at home??? Seattle will have the day. best team in best team out. Russell Wilson will not let them lose.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
December 21st, 2013 at 10:43:29 PM permalink
kewlj,

i think the eagles are STILL improving. can you think of a more dangerous team in the nfc playoffs? every other team is flawed. i think new orleans gets destroyed tomorrow by carolina. san francisco has no passing game. seattle looks tough but its defense is not designed to handle the pace of chip kelly's offense when it's firing on all cylinders.

obviously the eagles are still longshots, but in terms of value i think they are the best super bowl pick.
kewlj
kewlj
December 21st, 2013 at 10:53:58 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

kewlj,

i think the eagles are STILL improving. can you think of a more dangerous team in the nfc playoffs? every other team is flawed. i think new orleans gets destroyed tomorrow by carolina. san francisco has no passing game. seattle looks tough but its defense is not designed to handle the pace of chip kelly's offense when it's firing on all cylinders.

obviously the eagles are still longshots, but in terms of value i think they are the best super bowl pick.

OK, I should first clarify my previous remarks about the Eagles having a home game against either SF or Carolina. More accurately, I should have said SF or the loser of tomorrows Carolina/NO game. I have a substantial wager in NO and was already projecting them the winner. Lol. My bad.

Now, about the Eagles improving. Is their defense improving? Did you see last weeks game? A really bad Minnesota team, with a bad qb, missing their best player, scored how many points?

I love the Eagles, soda. Got to go to the Arizona game a couple weeks ago, during my thanksgiving visit back east, but I am a realist.....the Eagles will NOT win the Superbowl.
ck1313
ck1313
  • Threads: 1
December 21st, 2013 at 11:54:18 PM permalink
Green Bay. Flynn will limp them through one more win then Rodgers will be back against the Bears and as long as Cutler is starting the pack will win. Then its 4 more and another championship. Then again I am from Green Bay so this may be a little biased.
wernerw
wernerw
  • Threads: 4
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:00:10 AM permalink
Preseason I said Broncos will beat the Saints. I stick with it, despite the Saints performance and the weather issues.

I can't lose, I am Austrian, how should I know?

And remember: No kangaroos in Austria!
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 22nd, 2013 at 12:08:15 PM permalink
I'm pulling for the Broncoes and Seahawks. But I don't think Denver is playing it's best football right now. I'm not liking the way this Denver/Houston game is shaping up today.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 22nd, 2013 at 12:17:20 PM permalink
Nor do I, Decker, Johnson or Moreno haven't scored any touchdowns yet, and I need them to, to keep my lead in a fantasy football pool...

As Lions neither deserve to get there, or even look like they will make playoffs, I am hoping for the Seahawks. Big following here in my part of Canada, I like what they do on the field, and they are the class act in the NFC this year. AFC, Denver are the same, with a couple of question marks.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Broncos/Hawks, but I think that's the most likely superbowl
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
December 22nd, 2013 at 1:22:12 PM permalink
That finished off the Saints. If they manage to even make the playoffs they are headed to Chicago or Green Bay where they will probably get slaughtered.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 22nd, 2013 at 1:47:14 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Nor do I, Decker, Johnson or Moreno haven't scored any touchdowns yet, and I need them to, to keep my lead in a fantasy football pool...

As Lions neither deserve to get there, or even look like they will make playoffs, I am hoping for the Seahawks. Big following here in my part of Canada, I like what they do on the field, and they are the class act in the NFC this year. AFC, Denver are the same, with a couple of question marks.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Broncos/Hawks, but I think that's the most likely superbowl

The Broncoes came on strong on the end. And Manning got the single season TD passing record. I'm watching Patriots/Ravens now. If Patriots lose I doubt Manning will play next week.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
megapixels
megapixels
  • Threads: 8
December 22nd, 2013 at 2:41:39 PM permalink
Cardinals
LarryS
LarryS
December 22nd, 2013 at 5:04:30 PM permalink
well the cards accomplished something for others .

that is proving the seahawks are not invincible at home

not only that but you can throw 4 interceptions and still beat them.

its takes away some of the seattle swagger..dont ya think

takes away some of that seattle "mystique"

will make the playoffs that much more competetive.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
December 22nd, 2013 at 5:31:12 PM permalink
I took the Panthers at 50/1 preseason so that impacts my decision. I also made a small play on Peyton Manning.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
kewlj
kewlj
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:55:17 PM permalink
Well, I would like to update my pick after today's games. Lol. I am done with my KC pick. A closer examination of the Cheifs shows they are 9-0 against teams with a losing record and 2-4 against teams with a winning record. I don't think they are going anywhere.

I am going to jump on the Seattle bandwagon, despite their home loss today. They have a strong running game and defense, that I think is necessary to win in the post season and particularly this year with an outdoor, probable bad weather Superbowl. Carolina's defense looked pretty darn strong today, but they don't have enough offensively for me to get excited about.

My Eagles looked pretty darn impressive tonight. If they win in Dallas next week and secure the 3 seed, they would be a team that you really don't want to play. But ultimately their defense will fail them at some point. It's pretty hard to get excited about a team that gave up 48 points to Minnesota. How does that happen?
98Clubs
98Clubs
December 22nd, 2013 at 9:37:24 PM permalink
My favorite answer to this question for the last 12 years has been, "Any team in Green". The answer refers to Seahawks, Jets, Packers, Eagles, and Miami. Naturally with this kind of scatter, I do better with "team makes the playoffs" pre-season props better.

This year the team in green looks like Seattle... Packers look a little weak... Eagles even weaker, but not that much. Miami's spanking today leaves little hope, if any. For the record, since Namath went to the Rams, I been an Iggles fan. A lotta promise and a big dance, but this guy Madden keeps gettin in my way... ;o) and of course my dad is a Raiders fan.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 22nd, 2013 at 9:40:58 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
98Clubs
98Clubs
December 22nd, 2013 at 9:46:31 PM permalink
Quote: ck1313

Green Bay. Flynn will limp them through one more win then Rodgers will be back against the Bears and as long as Cutler is starting the pack will win. Then its 4 more and another championship. Then again I am from Green Bay so this may be a little biased.

Had to post this separately... Eagles/Cowboys or Packers/Bears as Sun. night game. Can't go wrong with either. I hope its a split viewing.
98Clubs
98Clubs
December 22nd, 2013 at 9:50:19 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Mine is, "whichever team has the most points at the end of the game." :-P

You pickin BUFFALO ??? :P
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 22nd, 2013 at 9:53:29 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
  • Jump to: