KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
November 10th, 2013 at 12:35:14 PM permalink
Look out Brady, Manning, Montana, and Marino. There is a new kid on the block and his name is Nick Foles.

Foles now has 16 td's and 0 int's for the season. The dude is just unstoppable.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame just should immediately break ground on a new wing dedicated to Foles. This dude is likely to own so many records, the extra space will be necessary.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 10th, 2013 at 12:54:22 PM permalink
Evidently you have not heard of the sophmore jink. Or the second half of the NFL this year.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
November 10th, 2013 at 1:13:25 PM permalink
Coming into today his stats were unreal:

From: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-avoiding-interceptions-record-pace

Forget the seven touchdowns for a moment. Forget the NFL record Nick Foles tied and all the team records he broke. Forget all the yards and how accurate he was and how efficient he was and how productive he was.

Because the most remarkable thing about Nick Foles’ performance on Sunday in Oakland and so far this year –- and really for his entire brief career so far -- is the virtually complete absence of interceptions.

Foles has thrown 118 passes this year without an interception.

He’s thrown 155 consecutive passes going back to last year without an interception.

He’s thrown just two INTs in his last 305 passes going all the way back to his second NFL start last November.

In 383 career pass attempts, Foles has thrown just five interceptions.

The numbers are unprecedented for anybody. For a young quarterback who’s been in and out of the lineup, had limited reps with the first-team offense and doesn’t even know how long he’ll remain the starter, they’re off the charts.

Who knows what will happen with Foles. Who knows what his future is or where it will be.

But so far, he’s been avoiding interceptions at record pace.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 10th, 2013 at 1:18:31 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Evidently you have not heard of the sophmore jink. Or the second half of the NFL this year.

This IS his sophomore year. Last year he started 6 games when Vick was hurt, going 1-5.

I am a huge eagles fan (meaning I like them a lot, not that I'm a really fat guy...lol), so I enjoying the last 2 weeks, but really, last week was crazy easy....wide open receivers against a really bad defense. This week, of his 3 TD passes, 2 should have been intercepted. One really really under thrown and the other bouncing around off defenders and receiver. But a TD pass is a TD pass. :-)
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 10th, 2013 at 2:03:00 PM permalink
6 games a season is not. Ask Tim Tebow.

" Who knows what will happen with Foles. Who knows what his future is or where it will be."

Gee, should the Hall of Fame cancel that contract for a bronze statue of him ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
November 10th, 2013 at 2:49:47 PM permalink
No statue yet lol, but I just read that the Pro Football Hall of Fame has requested his game-worn jersey and cleats that he wore last week against Oakland.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
November 10th, 2013 at 3:42:25 PM permalink

Yea cause the sophomore jinx always kicks in 9 weeks into a guys second season LOL
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 10th, 2013 at 5:53:36 PM permalink
6 last year and 9 this year. Yep, just about time for a few interceptions. Almost 16 games now. Honeymoon will soon be over.

Remember you read it here first.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
November 17th, 2013 at 11:55:26 AM permalink
Nick Foles is an unstoppable beast! He is ripping up the NFL.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 17th, 2013 at 12:27:04 PM permalink
Chip Kelly has been a breath of fresh air for the boo birds.

U of O misses him.
"What, me worry?"
kewlj
kewlj
December 1st, 2013 at 3:26:49 PM permalink
I was lucky enough to charm my way into a ticket today to see Nick Foles throw touchdown passes number 17, 18 & 19 for the year without an interception. The record is 20 TD passes before throwing an interception set by payton manning earlier this year. If Foles throws a TD next week before an interception he ties the record, two TDs and he sets a new record. I would love to see that, but it is time to head home to the desert before I get stuck in any winter weather. Besides, I don't want to miss out seeing all the palm trees and cacti with their Christmas decorations. :-)
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
December 29th, 2013 at 4:57:23 PM permalink
If you aren't on board already, there's still time to jump on the Foles wagon!!! :)

━━━━━┓\ \  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
┓┓┓┓┓┃ ヽ○ノ  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  /   
┓┓┓┓┓┃ ノ)  Dallas Football  
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

LETS GO FOLES!!!
︻╦╤─
☻/
/▌
/ \
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
December 29th, 2013 at 9:03:50 PM permalink
Quote: EdgeLooker

If you aren't on board already, there's still time to jump on the Foles wagon!!! :)

━━━━━┓\ \  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
┓┓┓┓┓┃ ヽ○ノ  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  /   
┓┓┓┓┓┃ ノ)  Dallas Football  
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
┓┓┓┓┓┃  
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

LETS GO FOLES!!!
︻╦╤─
☻/
/▌
/ \

I saw Foles today for the first time. He looked loike a rookie. Against the weakest defense in the league he looked confused. He had trouble recognzing or escaping pressure. Made rookie mistakes like intentionally grounding a ball.

Thankfully for him he was going up against the worst defense, and a replacement QB taht was bad enough to be replaced by tim tebow.

Next week he goes up against a real defense against the saints.If he looked daxed and confused against dallas..wait till he meets rob ryans boys.

And if his team had trouble containing witten.....wait till they have to contain graham.

Personally I dont care about either team, as I didnt bet this game. And I probably wont bet the next eagles/saints game either...because as much as the saints are the better team....they are not impressive outside of their dome.

If I had to bet, after viewing the performance today of foles...i would definately put my money on the saints. because it seems foles is kind of nervous and jerky when he gets pressure....and the eagles this year aND over the last 3 years have a much better record on the road than they do at home.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 29th, 2013 at 9:10:03 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

I saw Foles today for the first time. He looked loike a rookie. Against the weakest defense in the league he looked confused. He had trouble recognzing or escaping pressure. Made rookie mistakes like intentionally grounding a ball.

Yeah, like that Rookie Tom Brady who did it in the endzone for a Safety during the Super Bowl!!!

It could happen to anyone, Foles stats speak for themselves for this year. Will he be this good next year? Doubt it. But, you never know, even as a Patriots fan I never thought Brady would develop into what he has, even after that first Super Bowl. When they pulled the trigger on the Bledsoe trade, I said, "I can't believe they actually did that..."

Quote:

Thankfully for him he was going up against the worst defense, and a replacement QB taht was bad enough to be replaced by tim tebow.

Tebow actually has a better QB rating than a few players who have started this year, career QB rating, you'd be surprised how badly some guys suck...it's just the don't have the kind of hype that he had, so it seems like he sucked worse than he did.

He was horrible, though, just some are worse.

Quote:

If I had to bet, after viewing the performance today of foles...i would definately put my money on the saints. because it seems foles is kind of nervous and jerky when he gets pressure....and the eagles this year aND over the last 3 years have a much better record on the road than they do at home.

I like the Saints for the win, as well, but not because I lack any confidence in Foles.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
kewlj
kewlj
December 29th, 2013 at 10:13:34 PM permalink

You seem to be all over the place here, BUT for what it's worth, Nick Foles started six games last year and ten this year. That's a total of sixteen game or the equivalent of one NFL season. So he looks like a rookie? That's because he basically IS a rookie. Also intentionally grounding or even taking a sack IS NOT a rookie mistake. A rookie would just throw the ball up and have it intercepted. Obviously the best choice sometimes is to throw the ball away (legally). But taking a sack or grounding penalty is far better than a turnover. Turnovers lose games.

I am an Eagles fan, and I don't know what the up side is for Nick Foles? Maybe he will prove to be a great qb. I doubt it. Maybe he has already reached his high point. Or maybe it will be somewhere in between. Most likely. But the man started 10 games this year, threw 29 TD passes and 2 interceptions. No one has ever put up those kind of numbers for a year. He has the second highest qb rating for a season...EVER!! Second only to Peyton Manning's best year. Better than Tom Brady's best year, or Drew Breeze's best year, or Dan Marino's best year. So give the guy a break.
LarryS
LarryS
December 29th, 2013 at 10:24:00 PM permalink
I think Brady threw less than a half dozen passes in his rookie year. he was the fouth string QB to start the year.

I would be surrprised if Belichick would start someone in the superbowl who threw only a few passes all year.

and foles not only only intentionally grounded a ball, but also fumbled one near the oppositions red zone...luckily facing a rusty, average at best QB with a weeks worth of practice..it only cost his team 3 pts.

and oh by the way, its not wise to intentionally ground a ball when you are only 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Its better to take a 7 year loss rather than a 15 yarder.....especially against a horrid defense.

Since foles and his team over the last 10 games only faced one playoff team (GB without Rodgers)...the days of facing creampuffs are over...the days of fattening the stats against weaker defenses ends now.

eagles have an impressive win over an impressive defense...arizona at home...I will give them that.

Although the payton/brees combo has never won a playoff game on the road.....this is their best shot.

I am not an eagles fan...unless I have money on them as it is with any other team that plays betable sports. I have no "favorites"...i dont idolize individual plaers, I dont own "gear"....I am just observing that foles looked like a deer in the headlights today....and that wont do in the playoffs.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
December 30th, 2013 at 7:25:27 AM permalink

and oh by the way, its not wise to intentionally ground a ball when you are only 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Its better to take a 7 year loss rather than a 15 yarder.....especially against a horrid defense.

Agree, especially since it is 10 yard penalty plus loss of down in those circumstances--very severe penalty
LarryS
LarryS
December 31st, 2013 at 11:49:19 PM permalink
Is Vic available to play?

If so, does anyone think it would really screw u the saints defense if they throw in plays of Foles in the shotgun with vic. Leaving it open for foles to keep and run, keep and throw, hand to vic who can run or throw.

has this been done this year at all already?

its seems like something that can be pretty powerful in a bag of tricks if needed.
LarryS
LarryS
January 4th, 2014 at 9:08:48 PM permalink
Quote: EdgeLooker

Coming into today his stats were unreal:

From: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-avoiding-interceptions-record-pace

Forget the seven touchdowns for a moment. Forget the NFL record Nick Foles tied and all the team records he broke. Forget all the yards and how accurate he was and how efficient he was and how productive he was.

Because the most remarkable thing about Nick Foles’ performance on Sunday in Oakland and so far this year –- and really for his entire brief career so far -- is the virtually complete absence of interceptions.

Foles has thrown 118 passes this year without an interception.

He’s thrown 155 consecutive passes going back to last year without an interception.

He’s thrown just two INTs in his last 305 passes going all the way back to his second NFL start last November.

In 383 career pass attempts, Foles has thrown just five interceptions.

The numbers are unprecedented for anybody. For a young quarterback who’s been in and out of the lineup, had limited reps with the first-team offense and doesn’t even know how long he’ll remain the starter, they’re off the charts.

Who knows what will happen with Foles. Who knows what his future is or where it will be.

But so far, he’s been avoiding interceptions at record pace.

Congratulations ...he also won the interception battle against the Saints today

Against a team with a weakened secondary... foles had overthrown passes....a horrible sack taking him out of comfortable field goal range.

He is young he will learn, and will be a nice serviceable QB

He wasnt playing against a team that had 4 wins all season(Raiders) TODAY.....Manning put up 31 and sat out half the game against oakland.
TODAY the fast paced offense that works so well in crushing weaker teams didnt really work as well against a more complete team.

The eagles had the advantage of playing in a division where no other team had a winning record...and played those teams twice. Its easy to pad wins and stats that way.

Last year the flavor of choice was "the pistol" till teams schemed against it in the off season, and this years its Kelly's oregon type offense.
Before we proclaim anyone a genious or crown a new QB as the next best thing....lets see what happens when the "system" and the QB plays consistantly against
winning teams.

not getting caught up in being a fan can be profitable.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
January 4th, 2014 at 9:17:46 PM permalink
foles unstopable......ummm, errrrrr, not so much.
get second you pig
kewlj
kewlj
January 4th, 2014 at 9:31:36 PM permalink
Again, you are all over the place, LarryS. Last week you posted Just wait until Foles comes up against Rob Ryan's boys, who you described as a "real defense". Now, you are saying how weak the saints secondary was. What, you are going to talk about the injury. Please don't. Injuries are part of football.

I thought Foles did fine. Yes, the sack taking them out of field goal range was horrible. He has to learn when to throw a ball away. But 2 td passes, zero interceptions and when he got the ball with 7 minutes left and his team down by 6, what did he do? Lead them right down the field to take the lead. what more can you ask? Short of playing defense to try to stop the saints running game, he did everything I would hope from a second year QB, playing in his first playoff game, who has played a total of 17 games in the league.

Again, I don't know how good Foles will or won't be. But he took over a team that was picked to finish last in their division, was 3-3 when he took over and won 7 of 10 games to win the division at 10-6. Then he lost a playoff game to a pretty good saints team. I think he did fine. I don't know why you are being so hard on him.
LarryS
LarryS
January 4th, 2014 at 9:34:39 PM permalink
the downside to kellys fast moving offense is that it puts a strain on the defense if the team they play is good enough to continuallly march down the field taking time off the clock and keeping kelly's defense on their feet.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 4th, 2014 at 9:38:54 PM permalink
Luck = 3 Interceptions Foles = 2 sacks, 1 intentional grounding Just Saying !
Mission146
Mission146
January 4th, 2014 at 9:42:39 PM permalink
It was a crazy day, both teams that had the QB with the superior performance lost.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 4th, 2014 at 9:44:57 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

It was a crazy day, both teams that had the QB with the superior performance lost.

That's why they play the game, you know. Statistics are just that. And quarterback rating system was designed by a mathematician on crack.
LarryS
LarryS
January 4th, 2014 at 10:12:10 PM permalink
I am not hard on him...I said he will be a serviceable QB.

He didnt do anything seriously wrong to say he lost the game, but he didnt win the game either.

His first half was rahter lackluster, which allowed his defense to be on the field way to long...which hurt his team in the end.

with all the stats pointing to a N.O. loss....never having won a playoff on the road, a dome team hasnt won in cold weather over the last 5 years, N.O. was 3-4 on the road averaging only 17 points per game. Foles lighting up the stat sheets for 10 games....FANS saw this as a eagles win.

But when a bettor analyzes the stats, and looks at the qualityof the opposition....the stats are rather hollow until Foles produces against better teams consistantly.

The fast strike offense producing touchdowns against weaker teams is great because when weaker teams go on offense they do nothing because they ARE WEAKER TEAMS. ...AND THE DEFENSE OF pHILLY IS OFF THE FIELD FAST. BUT with more well rounded teams...the fast strike offense my produce field goals or punts...and the opposing offense is on the field surgically marching downfield. Not a good deal for the defense.

I know last week it was "leave the guy alone" his intentional grounding and his fumble both way deep in his own territory were nothing to note because he threw 7 touchdowns against the raiders. And yes he had a bad first half, and overthrown passes, and a bad sack today..... but he had an exceptional QB rating on the road all year...that has to count for something.

But those things I mention only helps me make a decision as to whether I will bet for his team or against his team. This is a gambling board. I am not a fan nor do I faun over weak oposition stats in order to build up my hero. Personally I dont care if Foles ends up in the hall of fame or is out of football in 2 years.

I just call it as I see it for the game that is in front of me so I can make money off these atheletes. If i were posting on a "fan board" whether Foles will be successful going foward would be a big issue for discussion. Personally Idont care. I would analyze his next game the same way I analyzed this one...and bet accordingly.

As it turns out I analyzed this one correctly

sometimes I do...sometimes I dont.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 4th, 2014 at 10:21:45 PM permalink
End of Season here. Foles got the lead, Sp. Teams (Henry's failure to kick a touchback) and Defense (generally average at best with a side order of toast) lost it.

ION Andy Reid STILL sucks with time-out management. What a KC-BBQ.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Mission146
Mission146
January 4th, 2014 at 10:34:42 PM permalink
LarryS,

I don't know that anyone was really fawning over Foles, I'm sure not, openly stated I don't think he'll be as good next year.

You'll also note I said:

Quote: Myself

I like the Saints for the win, as well, but not because I lack any confidence in Foles.

Foles went 23/33 195, 2-0...Solid line, not awe-inspiring, but certainly better than Brees' line today. That's what you call a prediction, Saints will win, the loss will have little to nothing to do with Foles' performance.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised it was that close. I thought the NO defense would have played just a little bit better than that, perhaps allowing 14-17 points. I will admit that Foles didn't really need to take that sack at the end of the 1st, but at the same time, 48 yards is hardly an impossible FG. That missed FG, however, did give the Saints really nice field position that the managed to turn into the first points of the game.

The second pick of Brees gave the Eagles excellent field position, and Foles did exactly what he was supposed to do and led them the rest of the way for a TD. Pretty similar to the field position Brees started with after the missed FG and could only turn into a FG for the Saints.

Other than that, I just thought it would be a bit more defensive, overall. Quite frankly, I'd have put the O/U at 45.5 had it been me setting it. I basically thought that the NO defense would hold up a bit better and I thought Brees would have a much more efficient game than he did, 28-14 or 28-17 if you'd have asked me to call the final score beforehand...
seattledice
seattledice
  • Threads: 18
January 4th, 2014 at 10:36:12 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

ION Andy Reid STILL sucks with time-out management. What a KC-BBQ.

It was more than just time-outs -- it was second half time management in general. When KC had the big lead why weren't they milking the clock more? I think Tony Dungee said they played the second half as if they were tied 0-0. Good thing I don't care. Bring on the Saints!!
LarryS
LarryS
January 4th, 2014 at 10:36:22 PM permalink

Numbers can lie

Foles mighthave had a better QB rating but doesnt mean he was the better QB. While Foles was going up against the weak defenses of Dallas, WASH, Oak, detroit, minny, and chicago,

Brees was going up against the good defenses of SF, seattle, carolina twice, NE, Ariz, and Miami.

The only comparible defense I see that Foles went up against was Ariz. Other than that he fattened up against weak defenses.

It stands to reason his numbers would be inflated.

The only winning team the Chiefs and alex smith beat all year long was the eagles.

while the colts and Luck beat teams like SF and denver and KC earlier in the year.

so which team and QB was more battle tested with success?

In both cases the teams that had better quality wins against better quality opponent prevailed
Mission146
Mission146
January 4th, 2014 at 10:41:32 PM permalink
What do you mean? I'm talking about the performances each QB had today. Foles played better than Brees and Smith played better than Luck.
LarryS
LarryS
January 4th, 2014 at 11:22:44 PM permalink

What do you mean? I'm talking about the performances each QB had today. Foles played better than Brees and Smith played better than Luck.

I guess if you look at passer ratings you would think so.

But being able to read a defense at the line and change the play and hand it off for a gain is another job of a successful seasoned QB. NOT making a pass.

Being able to handle the noise factor and get plays off successfully on the road without penalties is not figured into ratings. Brees was exceptional overall in that respect

Being able to milk the clock and keep defenses on the field does not show up in passer ratings.

Brees was exceptional at milking the clock for the entire game, keeping the defense on the feild.....tiring them out....and being able to win the game late. THAT does not show up in passer rating.

Even with interceptions....Brees was the better QB (in my opinion of course.)

My guess is that Brees has alot more lattitude to change plays and therefore has alot more input into play calling than an relative rookie. Play calling is an important part of the game as well.

There is alot more to being QB than qb rating.

As far as luck/smith

Smith has always been viewed as a "game manager'.....and he managed the game fine. Luck took control of the game.

big difference

Indy beat KC for the second time this year.....with the "lesser" QB in peoples minds.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 4th, 2014 at 11:34:52 PM permalink
I don't think so Larry... Brees' 1st half was not good, let alone up to his par, and the Eagles did not get enough points from it. As pointed out and inferred, a 48 yd FG can be 3-points, in a coinflip world of 61 yarders that make it and "WideRight" 46 yarders that fail to win the SB, its shudda cudda wudda. The Defense is not the "old Eagle D", its lacking at Safety and QB-rush. Honk the Foles horn all you want, the team ain't makin it. I'm quite surprised they beat the 'Boys for the dancehall invite.

Remember the Lombardi curse, or is it the Madden curse?, or both?
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
LarryS
LarryS
January 5th, 2014 at 12:29:05 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

I don't think so Larry... Brees' 1st half was not good, let alone up to his par, and the Eagles did not get enough points from it. As pointed out and inferred, a 48 yd FG can be 3-points, in a coinflip world of 61 yarders that make it and "WideRight" 46 yarders that fail to win the SB, its shudda cudda wudda. The Defense is not the "old Eagle D", its lacking at Safety and QB-rush. Honk the Foles horn all you want, the team ain't makin it. I'm quite surprised they beat the 'Boys for the dancehall invite.

Remember the Lombardi curse, or is it the Madden curse?, or both?

brees was good enough in the first half not to get alot of points..but to keep his team on the field and start to tire out the opposing defense which came back to help him at the end of the game.

Brees was a master of milking the clock..up through the last series where he got the ball with 5 min left and used every single second. THAT is a savy QB and a great game plan

Eagles has a game plan to score fast....thats great...but it doesnt leave your team a hell of alot OF PLAYS at the end of the game if you want to milk the clock. Eagles left too much time on the clock because they know only one way to run an offense....FAST.

so foles knows how to fling the ball downfield and run plays fast, faster and very fast. How did that work out for him today.

He is a one trick pony in the system he is involved with. Ask him to run a sustained 8 minute drive down field and use up most of the clock and he is at a loss

But he is young...he can learn more tricks. But for now, if he is playing against a more seasoned team with more wins against better opponents....I would not bet on him . His numbers are pourous when looking at the quality of opponents he faced. And thats all I really care about...winning bets. Not worried aboutif foles is betterthan brady, or will have a long career. I dont really care because I am not a "fan" of any of these teams....unless I bet on them...and then its only for that one day.

Today is an example of 2 games that had very similar matchups...one team with alot of wins against inferior opponents up against another team with a more difficult schedule and having won against MANY more higher caliber teams. The significantly more battle tested teams won in each case.
Mission146
Mission146
January 5th, 2014 at 12:41:23 AM permalink

Smith has always been viewed as a "game manager'.....and he managed the game fine. Luck took control of the game.

big difference

Indy beat KC for the second time this year.....with the "lesser" QB in peoples minds.

KC's defense was nothing short of inept, and Smith did a little more than, "Manage the game," with four TD passes. That last drive, I don't care if they ran the ball into Field Goal range, everybody wakes up tomorrow talking about how Alex Smith won the game for the Chiefs with his (team postseason record) record-breaking performance.

The guy's throwing TD's, rushing for first downs, scrambling...he now has the most passing TD's and yards in a Chiefs playoff game, a record taken from none other than Joe Montana.

Is Joe Montana a, "Game Manager?"

Was Andrew Luck in control of the game when he threw those three picks?

The Chiefs lost the game, but I don't see what's wrong with admitting that Alex Smith played out of his friggin' mind, just watch the highlights!
LarryS
LarryS
January 5th, 2014 at 12:49:18 AM permalink

Luck = 3 Interceptions Foles = 2 sacks, 1 intentional grounding Just Saying !

the thing about luck. People can say he was inferior to smith cause he threw 3 interseptions....but I look at it differently.

Smith was handed 3 interceptions and a fumble near the oppositions 20 yard line....AND STILL LOST

Luck, despite the errors..he was able to carry his team back from a 28 point deficit. Without the advantage of 4 tournovers by KC to help him out

In the end Alex smith had the opportunity to do what drew brees did...he had the opportunity to drive his team downfield and get the winning fieldgoal with no time left on the clock. He failed. He manages the game...he dosent take control of the game like luck can.

Even with running for some good first downs, improvised shovel passes by smith....it was luck in the end that took control and brought his team in for a win on his back.
LarryS
LarryS
January 5th, 2014 at 1:00:24 AM permalink

KC's defense was nothing short of inept, and Smith did a little more than, "Manage the game," with four TD passes. That last drive, I don't care if they ran the ball into Field Goal range, everybody wakes up tomorrow talking about how Alex Smith won the game for the Chiefs with his (team postseason record) record-breaking performance.

The guy's throwing TD's, rushing for first downs, scrambling...he now has the most passing TD's and yards in a Chiefs playoff game, a record taken from none other than Joe Montana.

Is Joe Montana a, "Game Manager?"

Was Andrew Luck in control of the game when he threw those three picks?

The Chiefs lost the game, but I don't see what's wrong with admitting that Alex Smith played out of his friggin' mind, just watch the highlights!

the inept KC defense caused 3 interceptions and a fumble recovery.....and handed that to smith. AGAINST AN INDY TEAM WITH THE LOWEST TURNOVRS IN THE LEAGUE

and smith performed "out of his mind".....and still lost.

what if the defense didnt get smith the 4 turnovers.....imagine the blow out

in the end smith had ample time to drive down the field and get the winning field goal attempt. He failed when it counted most. coming out of the 2 minute warning and having to call his last time out was embarrassing....and allowed Indy in the end to run out the clock just by kneeling/..a rookie mistake

SF traded smith away for a reason. And today we saw the reason.
tournamentking
tournamentking
  • Threads: 2
January 5th, 2014 at 2:28:45 AM permalink
Interesting discussion, but neither team who won today will ever make the Super Bowl. That takes DEFENSE, not hot shot QBing. These games were all about entertainment for the fans. And poor Philly, stay away from the South side tonight.
Mission146
Mission146
January 5th, 2014 at 7:57:28 AM permalink

the inept KC defense caused 3 interceptions and a fumble recovery.....and handed that to smith. AGAINST AN INDY TEAM WITH THE LOWEST TURNOVRS IN THE LEAGUE

and smith performed "out of his mind".....and still lost.

what if the defense didnt get smith the 4 turnovers.....imagine the blow out

Yeah, and if three of those turnovers weren't interceptions thrown by Andrew Luck, then perhaps he would have had the better game. Also, how about the way Alex Smith stepped up after Charles got knocked out of the game on the opening drive?

The fumble was in the beginning of the 2nd Quarter, and they got a TD off of the turnover, thrown by Smith.

The pick of Luck at the end of the 2nd Quarter, KC got the ball with 21 seconds left in the half!!!

The first pick of Luck, beginning of the third quarter, had KC getting a TD, thrown by Smith.

The second pick of Luck in the third quarter resulted in a Field Goal, not going to have the TD every time.

Okay, so you have four turnovers and 17 points off of turnovers, points resulting directly from every turnover, except the one where there were only 21 seconds left in the half.

Again, what precisely did Smith do wrong? Most passing yards, most TD's, no Picks, high completion percentage.

Quote:

in the end smith had ample time to drive down the field and get the winning field goal attempt. He failed when it counted most. coming out of the 2 minute warning and having to call his last time out was embarrassing....and allowed Indy in the end to run out the clock just by kneeling/..a rookie mistake

SF traded smith away for a reason. And today we saw the reason.

If you know why he called the timeout, you know more about the situation than I do, but I'd assume there was a reason for that.

The Chiefs Defense failed, anyway, they failed by allowing the second largest comeback in Playoff history.

We saw the reason SF traded Smith away? Really?

None of this had anything to do with the KC Defense allowing 45 points, though, right? Because allowing 45 points is a really nice day out there...
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 5th, 2014 at 8:05:18 AM permalink
On another thread someone said Foles was the second coming of Johnny U. WTF Foles had 17 TD and 0 interception. Last guy to do that also has the 5th highest QB rating in history of the NFL. He also had two guys in the backfield named Jim Brown and Bobby Mitchell. They had a lot to do with Milt Plum's stats.

Johnny U won 2 world championships back to back with Alan The Horse Amache. John Elway did the same with Terrel Davis.

Hope Foles has a great career, but just a little early to crown him "great" !
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
January 5th, 2014 at 8:43:26 AM permalink
Smith had a great 1st half and first drive of the 2nd half.... But the KC offense disappeared after that. 6 drives resulting in 6 points. They fell apart.
LarryS
LarryS
January 5th, 2014 at 3:57:12 PM permalink

Yeah, and if three of those turnovers weren't interceptions thrown by Andrew Luck, then perhaps he would have had the better game. Also, how about the way Alex Smith stepped up after Charles got knocked out of the game on the opening drive?

The fumble was in the beginning of the 2nd Quarter, and they got a TD off of the turnover, thrown by Smith.

The pick of Luck at the end of the 2nd Quarter, KC got the ball with 21 seconds left in the half!!!

The first pick of Luck, beginning of the third quarter, had KC getting a TD, thrown by Smith.

The second pick of Luck in the third quarter resulted in a Field Goal, not going to have the TD every time.

Okay, so you have four turnovers and 17 points off of turnovers, points resulting directly from every turnover, except the one where there were only 21 seconds left in the half.

Again, what precisely did Smith do wrong? Most passing yards, most TD's, no Picks, high completion percentage.

If you know why he called the timeout, you know more about the situation than I do, but I'd assume there was a reason for that.

The Chiefs Defense failed, anyway, they failed by allowing the second largest comeback in Playoff history.

We saw the reason SF traded Smith away? Really?

None of this had anything to do with the KC Defense allowing 45 points, though, right? Because allowing 45 points is a really nice day out there...

The "inept" defense gave smith a short field and easier ability to score. In the second half smith could have helped his defense by staying on the field.

THE "INEPT" defense pressured luck forcing him to throw interceptions....the interceptions dont occur in a vacuum.

Imagine a QB being given 17 easy points...not having to drive the field 80 yards for those points.......and then having the QB lead his team to 6 points in almost 2 full quarters while the other team makes up 28 points. That only happens if the QB allows alot of time for the opposition to use.....If smith was able to move the ball and use up time....then scoring 35 points by the opposition would have been impossibe. Yet while smith was failing...Luck took over the game and made things happen.
Great quarterbacks can overcome adversity...even adversity that they help create.

Its funny, quarterbacks have to throw balls into empty spaces, anticipating that their man will make the cut and get there when the ball arrives...on any given interception we cant say for sure if it was a QB mistake, or the route runner mistake. But its fine...give Luck all the heat for the interceptions, and give the KC defense the props for creating the interceptions and a fumble.

And give Smith the credit for playing a very complete first half. And also give him the criticism for not being able to drive the field in the last minutes to get a field goal. and for only being able to attain 6 points after the score was 38-10 very early in the 3rd.

Smith got alot of hype going up against poor opponents. Going 9-0 against the bottom feeders of the league. Then having a losing record against the better teams they faced later in the year.

he performed as well as could have been expected for a veteran QB of his caliber. He did well in the first half, and failed to keep the opposing offense off the field in the second half. You could blame the KC defense for not doing their job....and that carries some weight. But in the end Smith could have secured a win by staying on the field longer, and securing more than 6 points while his opponent was securing 35.

SF gave smith up with a full year left on his contract for at maximum a second round draft pick. He did as well as could have been expected for someone purchased for a second round pick. KC did well....and SF did even better.

iT WAS JUST A CASE OF ALEX SMITH BEING ALEX SMITH

the SF folks saw him fail against the Giants 2 years ago......

And saw his replacement today drive the field for a win at the end..exactly the same thing Smith couldnt do yesterday
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 4th, 2018 at 7:26:20 PM permalink
Does everyone remember this thread
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mission146
Mission146
February 4th, 2018 at 7:57:06 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Does everyone remember this thread

Yes, every QB analysis I made in this thread was also spot on.

I apologize for bragging. The Pats lost and I'm a 3 on a 0-10 scale of being bummed out. Just trying to boost my ego.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
February 4th, 2018 at 10:01:42 PM permalink
And it’s also a sad state on quality members no longer with us on a long dead thread.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 8th, 2019 at 1:21:50 PM permalink
Poor Nick. Gets to go to a team as the man and breaks clavicle and is out for season.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mission146
Mission146
September 8th, 2019 at 1:59:49 PM permalink

Poor Nick. Gets to go to a team as the man and breaks clavicle and is out for season.

Wentz was supposed to be the injury risk.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 6:00:50 PM permalink

I doubt that he will be out for the season with a broken clavicle on his non throwing arm. They should be able to put a plate in it and he could be back in 8 weeks.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
September 8th, 2019 at 6:05:28 PM permalink

Yea poor Nick, finally got paid in guaranteed money for winning the SB. Sucks he got hurt but he’s a good guy and will be fine with his family. You are putting way too much into his football career.

He’s a competitor but he will be fine. No reason to feel bad for him. Winners win, every F’n Time.
  • Jump to: