Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
January 17th, 2013 at 3:56:25 PM permalink
It finally gets started in less than 48 hours.

Where is your money going for the Stanley Cup?

Does Rick Nash power the Rangers over the Kings in the final, or is it Pittsburgh out of the east?
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 17th, 2013 at 6:13:40 PM permalink
Please move this to Diversity Tomorrow. This forum is for gambling and/or sports.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
January 19th, 2013 at 8:09:35 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Please move this to Diversity Tomorrow. This forum is for gambling and/or sports.

Too funny, good one !
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 19th, 2013 at 8:27:38 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Too funny, good one !

Meh...I didn't find it that funny, but I'll admit was a good opportunity for a joke.

The Blues crushed the Red Wings 6-0 on the day #6 Stan Musial passed on. RIP.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 19th, 2013 at 8:33:45 PM permalink
I'm going with Bryz and the Flyers after the way they looked today.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 19th, 2013 at 8:34:29 PM permalink
Well, being from the N.E. as always its about Rangers v. Bruins. Bruins tonite at home the winner..
Thats a bad for me, long-time Leetch fan.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 19th, 2013 at 8:35:12 PM permalink
3 world series, 3 MVPs, Stan was the man. And who said President Obama never did anything right ?

President Barack Obama presented Musial with Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest honor that can be bestowed on a civilian, at the White House on Feb 15, 2011.

As for DT, wel,l just checking to see if Face was awake !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 19th, 2013 at 8:57:05 PM permalink

As for DT, wel,l just checking to see if Face was awake !

I'm here, and I seen it, and I giggled. Cursed your name, but I still giggled.

In other news, LEAFS ARE UNDEFEATED! This year, baby...this is OUR YEAR.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 19th, 2013 at 9:08:14 PM permalink
I have removed my cap for "The Man", and Earl Weaver, no one could kick dirt on an ump or Home Plate like Earl.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 19th, 2013 at 9:08:38 PM permalink
I try not to have favorite teams in sports , but Go Leafs GO.

Hey I root at WWE events too !
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 19th, 2013 at 9:11:54 PM permalink
Earl still has the record at being ejected 90 times. One of the first managers to realize 3 run homers were suddenly the way to win games. no more Minnie Monoso and the Go Go White Sox.

Minnie :

Crowding the plate and being one of only a handful of blacks in the major leagues made him a target for stray pitches. He was plunked a total of 192 times in his career. In 10 of his 17 seasons he led the league in the number of times being hit.
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 19th, 2013 at 9:17:31 PM permalink

Earl still has the record at being ejected 90 times. One of the first managers to realize 3 run homers were suddenly the way to win games. no more Minnie Monoso and the Go Go White Sox.

How many ejections was Bobby Cox behind Earl? I saw Bobby Cox's last game (2010 Gm4 vs. Giants in Atlanta), and I hated the Braves growing up...lol I softened a little bit when I attended ~6 games while living in Atlanta...blah
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 19th, 2013 at 9:28:23 PM permalink
Damn I stand corrected and in awe. Bobby Cox was ejected 158 times. WOW !
Calder
Calder
January 19th, 2013 at 9:45:47 PM permalink
And in the NHL's marquee match up, my Preds go down to Columbus at home in a shootout. Yikes.
Always fun to see the Canucks get spanked --- maybe they'll keep Loungo after all!
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 19th, 2013 at 10:08:11 PM permalink
Buzz, I was a bit surprised when you said that Earl Weaver was the leader with 90 ejections. What's really sad is he apparently died on an Orioles' Fantasy Cruise. :(

But I have seen Bobby Cox ejected a handful of times while passively watching the Braves on TBS.

From Wiki:

In a July 2006 game, Cox was unable to save outfielder Jeff Francoeur from ejection; speaking with Atlanta Journal-Constitution beat writer David O'Brien, Francoeur recounted his manager's advice after both men had been sent to the Braves clubhouse:
"I’m like, ‘What do I do?’ Cox said, ‘Go have a couple cold beers and get in the cold tub or something and relax. And then you’ll probably have to write a $500 check. Or you can do what I do, write a $10,000 one and tell them when it runs out, let me know'."

Quote: Calder

And in the NHL's marquee match up, my Preds go down to Columbus at home in a shootout. Yikes.
Always fun to see the Canucks get spanked --- maybe they'll keep Loungo after all!

Losing to Columbus, ouch. But Loungo is pretty decent at tournament hold'em at least! :P
Face
Administrator
Face
January 19th, 2013 at 10:16:22 PM permalink
I don't know which is worse: Corporate greed robbing me of months of soul soothing hockey, or the fact that the one hockey thread going has been infected by BASEBALL!

Oh, the humanity!
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 19th, 2013 at 10:22:06 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I don't know which is worse: Corporate greed robbing me of months of soul soothing hockey, or the fact that the one hockey thread going has been infected by BASEBALL!

Oh, the humanity!

Partly calder's fault for titling the thread: "Stan in 2013", imo.

I'm a pretty big hockey fan, btw. I am very glad, and a bit shocked, that hockey is back.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 20th, 2013 at 12:13:07 AM permalink
As a red-blooded Canadian who was really pissed that the sides couldn't work out their differences, I still watched Hockey Night in Canada. It's like it's ingrained in my bloodstream.

I am thinking that this year the Stanley Cup will go to an outlier. The first 7-8 games are going to be complete toss-ups for all teams because they're still getting into shape. That leaves 40 games to make an impression. I see some teams who should make the playoffs missing out.

Look for some whack-a-doo team to go deep, like the Winnipeg Jets or even the Toronto fu**ing Maple Leafs. Look for Bettman and NBC to start crying as the Winnipeg Jets play the Edmonton Oilers for the Stanley Cup.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 20th, 2013 at 12:47:11 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Look for some whack-a-doo team to go deep, like the Winnipeg Jets or even the Toronto fu**ing Maple Leafs. Look for Bettman and NBC to start crying as the Winnipeg Jets play the Edmonton Oilers for the Stanley Cup.

It would be funny, but I watched a good portion of that Winnipeg team play in Atlanta for $10/game. Similar seats go for ~$70 in Winnipeg. No way in hell they get the Prince of Wales trophy.
Calder
Calder
January 20th, 2013 at 1:28:47 PM permalink
I love HNIC, especially the Hotstove; the only in-game hockey discussion that assumes a knowledgable fan base, unlike the NBC and Fox broadcasts.

boymimbo, maybe you can help out an American fan:

The Canadiens as usual did a classy season opening, with prior captains passing the torch to Brian Gionta and the rest of the 2013 team. Who was the captain appearing after Yvon Cournoyer -- I didn't catch his name plate or number.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 20th, 2013 at 1:35:08 PM permalink
Yes, baseball is a MAJOR league sport and has no place on a Hockey thread. My mistake.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 20th, 2013 at 1:38:56 PM permalink
Just seemed Earl must have the record. I can not ever remember Paul Richards ever being ejected, though he must have been.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 20th, 2013 at 1:41:20 PM permalink
Hockey would be improved by Bettman leaving the NHL.

I will keep on watching the WHL... egos, less cost. One day I will visit the Joe Louis though...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Face
Administrator
Face
January 20th, 2013 at 2:14:00 PM permalink

Look for some whack-a-doo team to go deep, like the Winnipeg Jets or even the Toronto fu**ing Maple Leafs.

=D

Put a "shortened season asterisk" if you need to. I'll take it.

I've been told that the last time they won the Cup was before recorded history. I hope, thanks to advances in science and carbon dating, some evidence of a Cup win will one day be known.

In any case, there's just two things I really want - seeing Don Cherry on HNIC, and hearing Rick Jeanneret broadcasting Sabres games. Jeanneret, IMO, is the best caster in the history of sports.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
January 21st, 2013 at 9:12:15 AM permalink
Quote: Face

=D

Put a "shortened season asterisk" if you need to. I'll take it.

I've been told that the last time they won the Cup was before recorded history. I hope, thanks to advances in science and carbon dating, some evidence of a Cup win will one day be known.

In any case, there's just two things I really want - seeing Don Cherry on HNIC, and hearing Rick Jeanneret broadcasting Sabres games. Jeanneret, IMO, is the best caster in the history of sports.

Vanek on pace to score 96 goals with 240 points in just 48 game season. Unless the Leafs can slow him down tonight.....
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
January 21st, 2013 at 9:45:40 AM permalink
Selanne also on that pace and at 42.5 years of age, he is a true wonder. Bet he pops in one more on Kipper tonight!
Face
Administrator
Face
January 21st, 2013 at 12:07:27 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Vanek on pace to score 96 goals with 240 points in just 48 game season. Unless the Leafs can slow him down tonight.....

I'll wager my 1,000,000 Canadian Dollars against your 10 Pounds Sterling that Vanek won't meet that goal. I know how you love wacky bets and all ;)

God, I love this all conference schedule! Go, Leafs, Go!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
January 21st, 2013 at 12:14:03 PM permalink
I swore not to watch hockey this season, and I already caved.

Blues win 6-0, their rookie gets a hat trick in his first game. This is our year
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 21st, 2013 at 12:45:58 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I swore not to watch hockey this season, and I already caved.

Blues win 6-0, their rookie gets a hat trick in his first game. This is our year

When did a hat trick become two goals? lol

But yeah, I watched the game too and was very impressed by him.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 12th, 2013 at 10:35:09 PM permalink
Quote: Face 1/19/13

In other news, LEAFS ARE UNDEFEATED! This year, baby...this is OUR YEAR.

Look for some whack-a-doo team to go deep, like the Winnipeg Jets or even the Toronto fu**ing Maple Leafs.

I'm about to come out of my skin...

Other than maybe the first game, there hasn't been one where they looked bad, like they might just be in some trouble. Their last lost was a domination of OT that just didn't go their way.

I swear to Christ, if they pull out this Game Seven, they're going to steam roll their way straight to the Cup. I CAN FEEL IT!!

OPTIMUS REIM!!!
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 12th, 2013 at 10:52:15 PM permalink
I'm upset, if I want to win my predictions league, I need the Laughs to go all the way to final. It's worth the two-four of good craft beer.

See yah in the final with the Wings then, Face. Then I can't lose.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Face
Administrator
Face
May 12th, 2013 at 11:07:50 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Then I can't lose.

Against the Wings? Then neither can I!

(Get it? Cuz the Wingz would lose, you see ;D)

I wonder if TheNightFly has been thinking of his years long bet, and what it's up to now...
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 13th, 2013 at 7:15:57 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
boymimbo
boymimbo
May 13th, 2013 at 7:24:38 AM permalink
Yeah, with my beloved Canucks gone in 4, I have to root for the Toronto f**king Maple Leafs now.

You can catch the CBC broadcast pf Game 7 on CNBC tonight, I think.
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 13th, 2013 at 1:42:37 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Wings getting past Chicago? I know I'm in the Detroit area but, coughbullshitcough.

Don't worry, I've not bet my house on it happening (or in fact anything). Half the fun of sports is the dream. The other half is watching teams from Toronto fail. ;)
Face
Administrator
Face
May 13th, 2013 at 2:53:32 PM permalink

You can catch the CBC broadcast pf Game 7 on CNBC tonight, I think.

I'll be at work. But I found an intersting little policy of Food & Beverage that states the TVs contained therein may never be on the News channel or (something else) and must remain on Sports and/or (something else).

I suppose I'd only be doing my job if I were to ensure that they were following that procedure, so I guess I'll have to check in tonight and make sure ;)

Half the fun of sports is the dream. The other half is watching teams from Toronto fail. ;)

Bloody nora! Yer really taking the piss now, talking a load of codswallop. Only a gorm would think the Leafs could fail.

LOL arguing with a barmy rosbif about the NHL. Made my day, cess =D
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 13th, 2013 at 5:33:14 PM permalink
I've realized that the comments I've made about Canadian Hockey teams may be used against me when I apply for citizenship... oops!
Face
Administrator
Face
May 13th, 2013 at 6:15:55 PM permalink

I've realized that the comments I've made about Canadian Hockey teams may be used against me when I apply for citizenship... oops!

Pfft. Canada's like 5 countries - B.C., "The Middle", Ontario, Quebec, and "The North". You like minor league hockey; your disrespect of the Leafs shall be tolerated.
In other news...

JESUS JUMPINGJACK CHRIST!!! LLLEEEEEEAAAAAFFFFSSSS!!!! THEY'RE GONNA DO IT!!!
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 13th, 2013 at 6:18:47 PM permalink
You missed the Maritimes and Newfies... That's another two :)

Now I need the Caps to come back against the Rangers...
Face
Administrator
Face
May 13th, 2013 at 6:36:59 PM permalink
No. No no no.... don't turn into the Leafs of old now....

Nooooooo!!!!
Face
Administrator
Face
May 13th, 2013 at 7:07:33 PM permalink
boymimbo
boymimbo
May 13th, 2013 at 7:12:46 PM permalink
Hell has officially unfrozen itself as the Leafs happily display why they suck. Wow. Incredible.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
May 13th, 2013 at 7:16:16 PM permalink
The Canadian Weather Office has reported HUGE FLOODING is taking place around the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE without a cloud in the sky
Face
Administrator
Face
May 13th, 2013 at 7:42:21 PM permalink
Suck? Suck?!

Nah, boymimbo. They did anything but. Despite the taste of vomit that still lingers in my throat, and my heart which is trying to break but cannot due to the massive scarring resulting from being a 20+ years Leafs fan, I am still thrilled with the year they put on.

There was no mid-year skid. There was no epic losing streak. There’s nary a superstar on the team. And they made 5th and put up a hell of a fight against a legit powerhouse in Boston.

I saw the heart and determination I expect from the epicenter of the hockey world, and will gladly enjoy the rest of the Cup playoffs, if a little less rabid and out of my head than I was 20 minutes ago.

Now to see if they can do it again, this time for a full season.

Go, Leafs, Go!
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 14th, 2013 at 9:03:30 AM permalink
Well last night took me from 2nd to last in the prediction league.

Damn it.
  • Jump to: