thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 1st, 2013 at 3:11:13 PM permalink
I've just bet at 12-1 for a Seattle/Denver superbowl. I've also got action on Denver and Seattle to win their respective Conferences.

I expect Buzz to pass commentary on my lousy choices in a moment.

My second choice, which I have not backed online, is Green Bay/New England. This is available at 10-1.

Bodog has Denver/SF at 13-2. I don't think SF are good value at all, and Atlanta have faded in the last few games. I do think Denver are the one's to beat this year.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
January 1st, 2013 at 3:24:25 PM permalink
Seattle? Anything can happen, but they are a below .500 road team. Although I think Denver will lose to New England, they only have to win 2 home games to get to the SB. I still like my preseason prediction, Green Bay over New England.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 1st, 2013 at 6:16:05 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Bodog has Denver/SF at 13-2. I don't think SF are good value at all, and Atlanta have faded in the last few games. I do think Denver are the one's to beat this year.

San Francisco has one advantage (besides home field and the previous week off) for their first game; it will be on a Saturday. Fox has already announced that its Sunday game in Week 2 will be the "early" game, so unless the NFL thinks a 10 AM local time kickoff is a good idea, the 49ers game would have to be Fox's Saturday game that weekend. That gives whoever wins an extra day of rest/preparation for the NFC championship game.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 1st, 2013 at 8:00:41 PM permalink
Talking of predictions, I am in a playooff pool where everyone assigns each team a unique value from 1 to 12. Each win by a team gains you that many points.

I have the following :

NFC:
Seattle - 11
Green Bay - 10
San Francisco - 6
Atlanta - 5
Washington - 4
Minnesota - 3

AFC:
Denver - 12
New England - 9
Houston - 8
Indianopolis - 7
Baltimore - 2
Cincinatti - 1

Anyone else fancy trying the same and seeing how we score on here? First tie breaker is the person who ranked the Superbowl winner highest, the second the runners up, and the third tie breaker total points scored in the superbowl (predictions made in the run up to the 'bowl).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 1st, 2013 at 8:04:34 PM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 1st, 2013 at 8:07:34 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

I'd be interested in this, but we'd need some sort of spreaded sheet to score the pool!

There's only 11 games, should be easy enough to create a table to do it.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
January 2nd, 2013 at 9:40:51 AM permalink
That sounds like a fun game!
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
January 2nd, 2013 at 10:32:08 AM permalink
Interesting, I've never seen a playoff pool in this format. Obviously the teams playing this weekend have an opportunity to score more points (because they play one more game), but are less likely to advance far (being lower seeds). So can you rank the teams 1-12 any way you want?

My comments: (not that you asked).
I know Seattle is the hot team now but they have to go all the way across the country to play an equally hot Washington team..so 11 seems risky to me on them. Also No way in Hell the Ravens (ok I'm a homer) loose to the Colts in Baltimore. Take that to the bank. So a 2 on Balt and a 7 on Indy seems backwards to me. But that's the beauty of the games, you have to play them.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 2nd, 2013 at 10:45:08 AM permalink
I've never seen one either... we did it for the NHL last season and it worked, so we figured to try it for the NFL as well. Maybe it will be abject failure..

I may well have overrated the Seahawks with their on the road schedule. I do think they'll win the first one, at least versus the 'skins. I think their defence will be enough to beat Bobby Three Sticks.

Colts/Ravens ... we'll see. I am not supremely confident in any of my picks apart from Denver.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 6th, 2013 at 1:40:12 PM permalink
Houston, Green Bay, and Baltimore IN, I have Skins over Seattle. GL & GG all.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 12th, 2013 at 7:13:06 PM permalink
Broncos out, Baltimore advances, WHEW!
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: